Old 12-17-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
hamish
Human being with feelings

Default Get The Most Out Of Reamote

Hello to all in Reaperland

I got really excited when I found out about Reapers LAN implementation, and I started to test it soon after getting competent in the basics.

After dealing with some early issues, I have now found that I can use Reamote to get serious performance improvements in realtime mixing and even tracking.

Because searching with keyword = reamote brings up mainly old, dead threads I wanted to start a new thread for Reamote specific Tips and Tricks.

I hope this thread can become a handy addition to the information on the wiki manual. http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

Regards Hamish (I think I want to call it "electricladyLAN" ....)

Last edited by hamish; 02-05-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: added wiki reamote url. updated info.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #2
hamish

Default Have you got the same Reamote version on master and slaves?

When you are using more than 3 computers it takes a while to synchronise the FX folders and Reaper versions.

If you had Reamote ver 0.5 on a slave but 0.6 on the master you would get 'new connection' followed immediately by 'connection closed' on the slave machine.

Make sure the versions are latest on all machines. Obvious really I guess.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
hamish

Default Subtle Hardware Issue

******* IS YOUR NETWORK ADAPTER ON-BOARD OR DEDICATED?

Some time after my first successful Reamote session, using two old laptops linked by a 8-port gigabit hub I noticed a paradox. Running a little arrangement of VSTi's and FX on the master machine that was using about 50-70% on Cpu, when I offloaded a chain of say 10% to my slave the host cpu load remainded the same. That is to say it stayed at 50-70% on the master machine.

I guessed that the network processing was taking up cpu.

While you may get value out of typical laptop ethernet by running a single very cpu intensive job on a slave (ie high quality reverb) as a master effect, so you only send 2 audio channels, in general the fact is that on-board NIC is using motherboard cpu, the more stuff you send to network the more Cpu you will use. Paradox.

I figured that the way to go was get a cardbus network adapter in the master machine, that way the ethernet connection is dealing with the PCI bus transparently.

After getting another old p4 machine that I run as a master I now get the performance I was expecting. The cpu is about 35-50% with all chains being processed 'local'. Offloading 10-20% worth to 'reamote processing' results in corresponding drop on the master macine cpu.

I'm getting closer to the mythical 8 cpu FX muncher.....

Last edited by hamish; 02-05-2013 at 03:46 PM. Reason: new, more improved words...
Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
hamish

Default dependencies over reamote

Hello, this thread is looking like a little lost blog, but I'll keep it going while I'm doing lots of Reamote research.

Before you go on be aware this is quite win XP specific...

Scanning the forums for reamote posts there are a couple of questions about what happens if an instrument or effect has a dependency on a data file. Most commonly that would be a sampler instrument or a convolution reverb. (understand that patch info IS sent along with any MIDI or audio to be processed, but data dependencies such as samples are not. I think...)

This means that your presets can be on your MASTER, and when you load a preset, the inst or FX instance on the SLAVE is updated instantly, sent by REAPER.

Data files like samples and impulse responses need to be in mirror directories (identical paths, including drive letter) on both MASTER and SLAVES. Or so I thought after reading this post

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...hlight=reamote

Anywho today I had the pleasure of 1)loading up SFZ in my MASTER. 2) loading it with an sf2 from MY SLAVES sf2 FOLDER via "my network places" in the SFZ open sf2 explorer. 3) selecting "Reamote #1 xxxxxxxx" in my Track FX. 4) pressing play and getting good stuff 5) did it on another instance. 6) still plays well.

Other things that may be of importance.... I set my drive on the SLAVE to be shared. (via setup the MSN Home network thing with no firewalls, even had to shut down some persistent do-gooder processes through taskmanager)

unzip this ogg vorbis for the cheesy proof that it rendered true.
Attached Files
File Type: zip small_world-sfz_leads-9LaN-glockenspiel.zip (880.7 KB, 517 views)
Old 12-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
arbogast

Wonderful thread! Keep going please.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 AM   #6
labyrinth

Default Services

What services NEED to be on for this to work? I am trying to optimize both the master and slave PCs, but do not want to make them incapable of ReaMote Functions.

Please Help.

Also, did you use a static IP address on both PCs to get ReaMote to work?
Old 01-14-2008, 06:04 PM   #7
hamish

Default Services, IP and Reamote

Hi labyrinth,

I still haven't been through ReaMote in full depth. I have not disabled any network services on any computers when I've used ReaMote so far.

In my NIC Properties 'Advanced' tab (from control panel> System Properites > Device Manager > Network adapters) I have the 'Network Address' set to 'Not Present' I guess this means not a static IP. I have noticed getting different IP for the same computer in my Reamote connections. I always delete the entry from the previous session in ReaMote configuration (Options>Plugins>Reamote) and then use auto-search to re-connect.

The first successful setup I used was without setting up a 'Microsoft Network' connection between computers. This setup was good, I run these computers with no firewalls or viruscheckers. I think DUX is correct when he says the only service needed is probably TCP/IP. http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=168

I used an 8 port Gigabit Switch and two CAT 6 cables (good quality tested ones). The only problem I had was when I bought another cable, a cheaper CAT 5e cable. I think with Reamote you can't use cheap gear. Buy the best quality CAT 6 cable even if you only use a 100 BASE T connection.

You haven't said if you're using a hub or switch or a crossover cable. I use an 8 port Gigabit switch. I'll get a crossover cable soon and test some other configurations.

If you go through the misery of setting up Microsoft Network connection on two or more computers, and make the slave machines drives to be 'shared' at the root (drive icon has the 'shared documents' hand) you have a lot of tuning to do, but you get the advantage of being able to use a sampler or impulse reverb over reamote withoout needing to have the samples on your master. (load the sf2 in your master from the network drive, and then switch to Reamote processing)

For me this is an 'optimisation' It means I can do more work with Reamote. I have had no audio problems at all using reamote and MSN so far. I really think using the right adapters and cables should get you the best sound.

Cheers, Hamish

Last edited by hamish; 08-04-2013 at 07:40 PM. Reason: edit spelling
Old 01-15-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
FoamieOmie

Please help a newbie to reamote. So I have an unused laptop that was my previous DAW machine (optimized as such) and I would like to use it for a reamote slave. Is it as easy (until I can buy a hub) to just connect my PC and the laptop with an ethernet cable and set up the network? Sorry I'm unknowledgeable on this but never networked before. I would love to be able to use the laptop as a slave for my master fx. Thanks for any help and for this thread!
FoamieOmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
hamish

Default Two machine ReaMote setup

A two machine ReaMote setup could be achieved with either an ethernet cross-over cable or a firewire connection, see this informative old thread:

http://www.cockos.com/forum/showpost...42&postcount=8

Because ethernet 100 is pretty much standard on PIII and PIV laptops you'll probably use that.

Just be aware that you may not actually get any usable power if your master machine is using on-board NIC (Network Interface Controller). Even if it is a modern dual core machine.

The hardware I would suggest for using your old laptop DAW as a defacto muse receptor would be 1) Gigabit PCI Network adapter for the master [you may even have one already] 2) Cat 6 CROSS-OVER cable.

Having machines properly tuned is a big part of getting it right. Make sure you have the same REAPER version on both machines. Keep going, it really can be worth the effort.

Hope I've been of help Foamie, Hamish

Last edited by hamish; 01-15-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 01-15-2008, 05:29 PM   #10
StepOne

I assume that there would be very few performance benefits if I attempt to use this over a Wireless-G connection?
StepOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #11
FoamieOmie

So do I just need the gigabit pci for my host cpu and just use the onboard laptop ethernet connection? Sorry, but I've never set this up before! Actually, once I get the new pci a step by step setup (properties and the other internal stuff. Installing the card is no problem) would rock, if anyone feels like explaining it!
Old 01-16-2008, 11:37 AM   #12
FoamieOmie

OK, so the gigabit pci is on the way (Gigabit 10/100/1000MBps) and a crossover cable as well. The laptop (or soon to be slave) is as you suspected a 10/100. What I'll need help with is getting all of this setup in the computer properties. I think I successfully have them both on the same ip address (one is something like 169.168.0.1 the slave is 169.168.0.2) but like I said I've never done this so any help would rock!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:11 PM   #13
hamish

Default Setting up and IP

Hi again Foamie,

I am waiting for a cross-over cable myself 'cos I thought sometimes a two machine setup could be a bit quicker.

Maybe you read this thread http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16419. Some people have had some nasty problems with cross-over setups

"The Acer box wants to get a dynamic IP via DHCP, but there is no DHCP server in your network which can offer an address"

After reading stuff like this, I'm glad I bought my Gigabit switch before I tried cross-over. I have had no need for static IP. I'll be happy to swap tips with you on cross-over setups once I'm up with that.

I had never done any networking before I connected up my old PIII laptop with win98, my switch and my newer PIV laptop. I just had all the default services, but no firewall or antivirus. I had no Microsoft Network connection established, just relied on the OK lights on the switch, and Networking tab in Windows Task Manager to know I had a good connection (if your not using it, usually at C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe then start now). On my win98 machine I had the intel NIC properties applet open.

Then started ReaMote on the PIII, start master machine with REAPER (Options, Preferences, plugins, ReaMote tick 'enable reamote processing, click 'Auto-Search' and I was away.

The only thing I'd like would be to alias the IP's for when I hook up more than 3 machines, otherwise I'll waste time trying to find the right machine from a long list of numbers.

There is another thread around somewhere of someone doing well with Static IP (I think using 2-machine-crossover config)

Check ya later...
Old 01-17-2008, 06:34 AM   #14
labyrinth

Default I Still Can Not Get The ReaMote Working

I tried using a DHCP and a static IP, now I'm using DHCP on the Main Tab and also a static IP on the Alternate Tab, but no avail.

I've working with this on this thread too...
http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthre...726#post146726

Any Help Would Be Great!
Old 01-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #15
hamish

Default Get CAT 6

Hey there labyrinth,

I just scoped all the posts on the other thread. These guys have a lot more low-level network savvy than me. I think you would too. I can't offer more than they have.

Maybe I just got lucky but you know it seems like you've done everything right. The only trouble I have had was with CAT 5 or Cat 5e cables. Some don't even light up my switch.

Re. Latency and the value of a switch: ReaMote WILL mean working with a little bit more latency for sure, but the power of 5+ cpu's for very little extra money (and the environmental benefits of not sending old machines and heavy metals to landfill.... big warm fuzzies...) makes it the right thing for me. My switch has a 16 Gbit core with collision detection, and it's still not an expensive one (D-Link DGS-1008D)

Hope you get it up soon. Post here when you do for sure!

Hamish
Old 01-22-2008, 06:29 AM   #16
FoamieOmie

Just wanted to get this thread active again as I expect to get the crossover cable and the network card today so i willl install those and post the results. Anyone have any success stories?
Old 01-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #17
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieOmie View Post
Just wanted to get this thread active again as I expect to get the crossover cable and the network card today so i willl install those and post the results. Anyone have any success stories?
I'm running my laptop and desktop-system via crossover-cable. It was easy to setup, and it just works. I don't use it when tracking, only mixing. I've got my reverbs running via reamote.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:57 PM   #18
hamish

Default Hi Finnish, some questions for you

Hi Finnish, I'm glad you found this thread, I've seen your posts around and your positivity about ReaMote helped me through.

I just have a question. I think there is a limitation in ReaMote at the moment for Rendrering. I find if there are stutters when I'm mixing that they always get onto a rendrer, so I usually switch to local when I render. If there are no stutters during mixing the render will be ok.

Foamie. I just took delivery of 3 more CAT 6 cables (I now have 6 cables, 5 patch and 1 X-over)

Later this week I hope to have got a few projects going with crossover, and also a MEGA setup with every computer in the house (except the antiques, like my beloved mid '90's 7.5 kilo Dell 386 laptop)

This will be 4 single core and one Dual, total 6 cpu's. I want to get my Gigabit cardbus adapter in my MASTER laptop going over 50%.

Post here if it rocks, bug reports if it don't!

Hamish
Old 01-24-2008, 04:41 AM   #19
hamish

Default X-over is limited

I connected up my main pair of machines directly using a buget CAT 6 crossover. The results were not so good.

I could only get a 10 Mbps (ten megabits per second) connection when I had reamote running.

This bandwidth only allows one 64 bit stereo FX chain.

This would only be useful for maybe like Finnish does (above post), run reverb and limiter on the master FX as ReaMote.

I am going to buy the best quality X-over I can find to see if I can improve on this performance. With the same pair of Laptops I can get 5 FX chains on reamote and the connection is still only using 10-20% of my LAN bandwith. With the crossover just one chain was using 99%.

Details of my 'electric lady-LAN' successes later. Stay tuned, and please post if you have some BIG receptor-eating stories to share

Hamish
Old 01-24-2008, 06:25 AM   #20
FoamieOmie

I have the gigabit ethernet installed and (hopefully) receiving the x-over today. Will let you know.

Here's what I plan to do first:

Set the tcp/ip #'s to 192.168.0.1 for the master and 192.168.0.2 for the slave and the subnet to 255.255.255.0 on both.

Besides running reamote on the slave (I do have the same plugs on both machines) and setting it up on the master f/x chain (what I plan to use this to process at first) what other steps am I missing?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
I connected up my main pair of machines directly using a buget CAT 6 crossover. The results were not so good.

I could only get a 10 Mbps (ten megabits per second) connection when I had reamote running.

This bandwidth only allows one 64 bit stereo FX chain.

This would only be useful for maybe like Finnish does (above post), run reverb and limiter on the master FX as ReaMote.

I am going to buy the best quality X-over I can find to see if I can improve on this performance. With the same pair of Laptops I can get 5 FX chains on reamote and the connection is still only using 10-20% of my LAN bandwith. With the crossover just one chain was using 99%.

Details of my 'electric lady-LAN' successes later. Stay tuned, and please post if you have some BIG receptor-eating stories to share

Hamish

Hmmm...

I don't get this.

I had 3 reverbs, 1 harmonizer and 1 delay running in my reamote-system, via crossover-cable.

So, I've done something terribly wrong or else..
Old 01-24-2008, 10:08 PM   #22
hamish

Default how many chains?

were all the FX on one chain or were the five FX each on their own chain (track)

Are both machines nominally Gibabit or 100 BaseT or one of each?

any more info would be appreciated

Hamish
Old 01-24-2008, 10:40 PM   #23
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
were all the FX on one chain or were the five FX each on their own chain (track)

Are both machines nominally Gibabit or 100 BaseT or one of each?

any more info would be appreciated

Hamish
Each FX was on their own track.

I'm 100% sure that the hardware in both machines is 100mb-type, not gigabit.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
NAS

Hamish
I noticed with some network cards that when using a Xover cable that you have to manually set them to 100
Using the auto setting they will drop to 10
You probably already tried that though but i thought i would let you know in case

NAS
Old 01-25-2008, 05:26 AM   #25
hamish

Default Thanks for posting NAS, Finnish, and Foamie

NAS - Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard that one, I'll give it a try.

Finnish - Thanks for your time again. Your hardware may be more compatible. 100 mbps is enough to do 7-8 chains easy. I think I may have a hardware incompatability issue. This is my first try at crossover. NAS may be close to the mark, I had just let my connection configure automatically.

Foamie - I hope you're reading this stuff man!

My BIG project: I tried out a 40M long patch cable last night with my switch setup and its good, so now my mate over the road is going to chip in (ha ha) with another old box to go in my garage.... I love this stuff when it comes together...

Last edited by hamish; 01-25-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: typ0
Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 AM   #26
labyrinth

Default Still Can't Get Mine To Work

For those who haven't followed my problem I'll recap (yeah I know, who would want to follow someone else's problems)...

*Well I have 2 PC's (the basis of ReaMote)
1. AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2 GB RAM 3200)-Master-
2. AMD Sempron 2 GHz (256 MB RAM 2700) -Slave-

*Same version of Reaper on both machines

*Plugs in the same area of the directory (not that this matters until things actually work)

*Using a 10/100 Switch (name brand...can't remember now though)

*Using Cat 5e Cables (no more than 6')

*XP Pro SP2 (Master) & XP Home SP2 (Slave)

Now the problem(s):

NOT WORKING. Sad Situation.

I have tried everything I know how to:

1.Swapping out the cables
2.Changing Switches
3.Using Auto IP Configurations
4.Using Static IP Configurations
5.Pinging themselves (this works)
6.Pinging 127.0.0.1 (this works)
7.Pinging the slave from master or vice-versa (this doesn't work)
8.Turned on ALL Possible Network and/or Internet Services
9.Firewall is off
10.Added Reaper and ReaMote in the exceptions list of the firewall, even though this is off.
11.Turned off, on, and default the NetBios over TCP/IP
12.Lights are working on the back of both PC's (network cards)
13.Lights are lit on the corresponding port of the switch (I've also swapped channels to see if this helps.)

Basically it shows a connection, but there are no packets being received, only transmitted.

Please help...with only a single core PC (although it is pretty fast for a single core) audio can be tough inside the box.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:57 AM   #27
hamish

Default Hi labyrinth

I have followed the posts re. assigning IP's and the VERY sound advice that you got from deric and bubbagump.

Reading your recap. on all the stuff you've tried, I'm just freaking that you have had so much trouble. I want to ask you what you do when you see those status indicators like "no packets being received, only transmitted" do you go back a step, thinking "I've done it wrong again"

In my experience a good reamote session always starts with a 'helpful' microsoft bubble saying "This connection has limited or no connectivity. You might not etc etc" clicking the bubble leads you to the deatails of packets etc.

If you've still got energy to try this again, connect up your machines, plug in via crossover or hub, don't let windows tell you that you suck, or that your connection sucks. click the little close (x) or just ignore it. Open Reamote on your SLAVE. Does it say 'waiting for ReaMote broadcast on 45820'

Open REAPER on your MASTER. Go to Options>Preferences>ReaMote. make sure 'Enable ReaMote Processing' is checked. Then press 'Auto-Search' in this dialog box.

Man I hope you get a pleasant suprise for once!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #28
Deric

labyrinth,

Please also state the IP addressing (including Subnet Mask and Default Gateway addresses).

Can you log into the LAN switch you've bought? If so please do this and examine the port status that your PCs are connected to - if so please post the results.

I assume that both PCs are connected to the same switch?

It is reassuring that the LEDs are lit on your network cards.

Please also do the following:

Examine the way the LEDs on the network cards are lit (constantly on, flickering, off, etc) and note what you observe.

On each PC Run CMD (Start, Run, (type CMD in the Open: field).

Type the following:

Ping <other PCs IP address> -t

Now examine the LEDs on both PCs. Note what you observe.

Stop one, and only one, of the Ping tests.

Re-examine the LEDs, again note what you observe.

If this does not work or get you closer to understanding your problem (and assuming you do not have a x-over cable) install an IP packet trace application - WireShark or similar. (I see that Cockos have an app. called LanMon but I haven't used this yet)

Run the application on both PCs at the same time, restart both Ping tests (including the '-t' switch).

Paste or quote what you see on the screen - you are looking for entries that include the word 'Echo' or 'ICMP' in the output line.

If you quote some of the output (just a few lines should suffice) then please ensure you quote contiguous entries (i.e. Do not pick output lines at random - quote consecutive entries only).

I appreciate it's frustrating for you but are getting closer to finding out what the problem is - probably!

General: Cat-6 offers negligible benefit compared to Cat-5e for typical PC use at, or up to, 1000Mbps (Gigabit) for short cable runs. If there is a big cost difference, and this matters to you, just use Cat-5e unless your PCs are are installed in an unusually electrically-noisy environment - in which case the extra shielding of Cat-6 'may' help. Cat-6 cables tend to be around three to four times the diameter of a Cat-5e cable.
Deric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #29
labyrinth

Default I'll look into this this weekend...

I again appreciate everyone's help with this. ReaMote could really help my setup. I really can't understand what's hanging it up. Regardless...I'll do these things you suggested Deric and will let everyone know the results.

Labyrinth
Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #30
FoamieOmie

Finally got my cross-over cable today. I'll let you know tonight what happens. Wish me luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM   #31
FoamieOmie

Got it hooked up and it works pretty seamlessly. The only thing that I can't figure out is that meters don't move or show up on the f/x that I send to the slave. It's like they're off but they're working.

The cpu use for one of the songs goes from 25% to 9 to 10% on the master machine though. That's exactly what I was hoping for.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:42 AM   #32
Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieOmie View Post
Got it hooked up and it works pretty seamlessly. The only thing that I can't figure out is that meters don't move or show up on the f/x that I send to the slave. It's like they're off but they're working.

The cpu use for one of the songs goes from 25% to 9 to 10% on the master machine though. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

WUHUU!!! ReaMote rules
Old 01-26-2008, 10:44 PM   #33
hamish

Default more ReaMote crossover success, thanks everyone

That's cool Foamie!. I also got crossover success after NAS's tip, I had to manually configure my Network Adapter to 100 Mbps full duplex. (Control Panel> System Properties > Device Manager > Network adapter - 'Advanced' Tab, Link Speed/Duplex Mode). I used Cat 5e crossover. I am stoked now that I can get the same performance out of two machines without having to bring the switch.

I hope now we can get on to some other topics like what kind of setup we use for mixing vs the setup for arranging and composing.

With mixing your streams are full-duplex audio. When you write with VSTi's you send MIDI out of your MASTER, and get audio back. You see this really well in REAPERS performance monitor, as well as useful CPU and disk loads, and the latency compensation per chain.

What I'm interested in is how I might change the network packet size, render send-ahead and other parameters in ReaMote config from setup to setup.

Last edited by hamish; 01-31-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:50 PM   #34
hamish

Default meters on your FX

Foamie, sorry I forgot that one. Yeah others have reaported the same thing. I guess that ReaMote slave does not send back the visual feedback info. Generally it doesn't worry me. Unless you are using a meter-only plugin. If metering is important for the plug run it local. Another idea, run the FX ReaMote, setup a local track with an equivalent meter and send into that meter-only track.

Catch you later
Old 01-27-2008, 08:34 AM   #35
Vannest

I'm having trouble getting ReaMote to work as well. Is there any place where the developers provide more detailed information than the brief blurb on the Wiki?

http://www.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/ReaMote

I must say that I found the bit about "easy to set up and use" to be somewhat misleading. From the forum threads I've found it appears that ReaMote is often not easy to set up. Truthfully I'm a bit disappointed. The LAN capacity was a major selling point for me but it appears that it will take a significant investment in time and possibly hardware to get this functionality to run over my existing home network. Being time starved, its a bit of a bummer.
Vannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:19 AM   #36
FoamieOmie

Once I got the pci gigabit card and a cross-over cable it was really painless to setup. I got both off ebay shipped for about $20. The main thing is to set the tcp/ip addresses correctly.
Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #37
Vannest

That sounds encouraging, I'll look for online for gigabit cards. Retail they run about $30 a pop. How about if both machines already have ethernet NICs for the home LAN? Won't the OS (XPpro and VISTA business in my case) get confused if I add Gigabit cards to machines with existing NICs?

I'd also note that in fairness to the developers, the installation issues don't appear to be with Reaper itself, but with configuring the network. Perhaps most users are more network savy then myself. Any data on how many users run Reamote and if so, how many have configuration headaches?
Vannest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:47 AM   #38
labyrinth

Default Mine Now Works

Thanks again Everyone, you've been so helpful.

The problem was actually the network card (NIC) on my slave PC. So replaced that. Well for people that are still having trouble and to just show another working setup this is what I have:

*PC 1- AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (2GB RAM 3200 & 10/100 NIC)
*PC 2- P4 HT 2.66GHz (256MB RAM & 10/100 NIC)

*Using a 5e Crossover Cable (started with a switch, but moved to this instead...probably less latency
*PC 1- TCP/IP setup: 10.4.0.1 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0
*PC 2- TCP/IP setup: 10.4.0.2 with subnet mask 255.255.255.0

(now DHCP or auto I'm sure works, but the PC's grab static IP addresses much quicker, especially w/out a DNS)

Now Hamish also had a great suggestion to keep the NIC running at Full Duplex 100 Mbps by go into the Device Manager > Network Card > Link Speed and Setting this there.

Also (Important) your plugins need to be in the same EXACT location on your slave PC as the master. This means if they're in the Program Files > Steinberg > VstPlugins (then the same applies for the slave) and any other things too, preset locations, impulses, etc.

Now you DO NOT NEED TO use Window's Network Wizard setup, but setting up shared folders is helpful, especially while copying plugins from your Master PC to your Slave PC.

When I've had more time to work with ReaMote I'll post some info about overcoming latency and tweak and stuff...does anybody know of any?

Good Luck all Reaper Users
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #39
FoamieOmie

Still working! A few questions though. First it seems I am having to "freeze" alot more tracks in order to avoid stutters, pops and clicks since I started using Reamote. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I'm using Reamote on a particular track or not. This may be something I did in my setup but the timing is wierd. Tried pulling the buffers back, helped a little but like I said, not a problem before.

Also, can anyone tell me more about the "sample format", "network max. latency (playback) and the "render send-ahead" options in preferences? I have these set as the default right now. For one thing I'm not sure whether I should be using 64 or 32 bit.

Here is the gigabit card info:

# Specifications: Integrated Gigabit Ethernet PHY and MAC functions; Full/half-duplex and 10/100/1000 Mbps triple-speed operations support
# IEEE802.3ab Auto-Negotiation support
# Automatic detection and correction of cable pair polarity, along with Auto MDI/MDIX cable crossover or pair swap detection
# IEEE 802.3x compliant flow control support for full-duplex operation; Collision-based back-pressure support for half-duplex operation
# IEEE 802.1p Priority Queuing support with 4 classes of priority queues
# IEEE 802.1Q virtual LAN(VLAN) support with 63 BLAN tags
# 64KB deep on-chip Rx and Tx packet buffer
# IPv4 TCP, IP and UDP checksum off-loading capability over Rx and Tx
# IPv4 TCP segmentation off-loading capability over Tx
# Jumbo frame support up to 16KB
# Adaptive interrupt
# Ring type packet-descriptor management circuit; Support multiple packet-descriptor fetching in a single burst
# Entering Power Saving mode by automatic link speed switching from 1000Mbps down to 10 or 100Mbps in standby
# Wake-up from Pre-ACPI and Abnormal Shut-Down
# Hardware and sofrware counters support for traffic statistics gathering
# DMI 2.0(Destip Management Interface), WfM 2.0(Wirec fo management) compliant
# Advanced packet filtering
# Provide analysis tooling for 1000Base-T type ling over its link quality, cable diagnostics, cable loss, return loss and NEXT loss
# One built-in RJ-45 connector
# Two LED indicators: Link/Activity
# PCB Size: 120mm X 47mm
# Driver support for: MS Window 2003/NT/XP/ME/2000/98SE, RedHat Linux 7.3(kernel 2.4.18-3) or later, Novell Netware 4.2/5.x/6.x/ODI 1.1

and here is the rest of the system info:

Master: P4, XP Home PS2, 1.5 gb RAM, Mia Echo soundcard, gigbit card (see above).

Slave: P3 laptop, XP Pro, 512 mb ram, on board ethernet (10/100).

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:28 AM   #40
labyrinth

Default I Had It at First Too...

But after adjusting my latency (buffer samples) I am okay. I believe this is because it needs the time to get your audio from PC 1 to the ReaMote and back. Aside from ReaMote's latency, unless your doing midi work where you are listening to your performance via. playthough monitoring, a higher latency is not a problem. Reaper has a feature to adjust your recorded files for any latency amount you have. I am currently set at 21 ms (~1,000 samples) latency/buffers this is while recording at 24 bit/48 kHz.

Oh for the other info:

*Sample Format: this is the precision of the plug-ins you're using via ReaMote.

*Network Max Latency: this is the largest amount of latency Reaper will allow, before it silences the stream of the channel (temporarily).

*Render Send-Ahead: this is only used when 'Rendering'...if it's a low value it will take longer to Render and vice versa if set at a high value.

One of the best things I did was adjusting my services, I'll attach what I did. Good Luck...and if anyone else has any thoughts, please help us.
Attached Files
File Type: txt SERVICES for XP with ReaMote.txt (2.8 KB, 704 views)

Last edited by labyrinth; 01-31-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Adding Attachment
labyrinth is offline   Reply With Quote