Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 05-18-2019, 06:32 AM   #1
noahcopeland44
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Note not recognized if notes are touching

Hello peeps,

I'm currently using apTrigga3 to trigger some hi hat sounds, but there is one funky issue if the midi notes are touching each other. Best way I can explain it is by just showing you via video:

https://youtu.be/WdBax6SNX6k

Does anybody have any idea what's happening?
It believe it's something to do with MIDI note off values not being recognized.
If I hit F3 ("Send all notes off to all midi outputs/plug-ins") during playback RIGHT before the open hi hat note, it will trigger the open hi hat sample. Any ideas?

EDIT: I reached out to the apTrigga support contact, and he recreated my session in Abelton. There was no issue in Ableton and it worked as intended.
noahcopeland44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
nofish

Not a fix for the problem but to be relatively certain it's a Reaper issue you could insert a MIDI logger (e.g included ReaControlMIDI VST can do logging) as first insert and check if the MIDI notes (off) are missed there too.

Last edited by nofish; 05-18-2019 at 03:29 PM.
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:37 AM   #3
Fabian

I have found that some plugins do not recognize note on messages if they come too close to a previous note off. In those cases I slip edit the ending of the previous note slightly earlier (Shift+drag on Windows).

Maybe that's it?
Old 05-19-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
gofer
-blänk-

Yep, it's rare, but I assume that those plugins aren't developed with Reaper's default 960 ticks per quarter setting in mind.

Instead of dragging each troublemaker note shorter you could use "Edit: Shorten note one pixel" to shorten them in a bulk. Or experiment with a lower ticks per quarter setting (Preferences -> Media -> MIDI).
gofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
Fabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofer View Post
Yep, it's rare, but I assume that those plugins aren't developed with Reaper's default 960 ticks per quarter setting in mind.

Instead of dragging each troublemaker note shorter you could use "Edit: Shorten note one pixel" to shorten them in a bulk. Or experiment with a lower ticks per quarter setting (Preferences -> Media -> MIDI).
Thanks.
I had no idea about any of these possibilities. With Reaper you (well, at least I) surely learn something new every day...