Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 09-07-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
marsmellow
Human being with feelings

Default Development of Shan's Protools theme,what's the status. Is there a close alternative?

Hello Reaper lovers,

Does anyone know what's the most 'complete' Protools theme till today, means functionality-wise and the looks?

I have read this forum where Shan was working very hard on a Protools theme, which would almost an exact copy of Protools in every aspect you could think of.

Check here some amazing screenshots of the Protools cursor set and UI components he was doing already. Seems he was close to a serious PT theme by then, but...that was in 2009!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43608&page=3

Anyone knows if Shan's theme is still in development or why it seems it's development stands still for some reason...

I hope anyone can tell me who was joined closely into this thread too or someone can tell me what's the best alternative till now.

I hope to see your responses soon.

Thanks.

Mars
marsmellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
PTRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmellow View Post
Hello Reaper lovers,

Does anyone know what's the most 'complete' Protools theme till today, means functionality-wise and the looks?

I have read this forum where Shan was working very hard on a Protools theme, which would almost an exact copy of Protools in every aspect you could think of.

Check here some amazing screenshots of the Protools cursor set and UI components he was doing already. Seems he was close to a serious PT theme by then, but...that was in 2009!

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=43608&page=3

Anyone knows if Shan's theme is still in development or why it seems it's development stands still for some reason...

I hope anyone can tell me who was joined closely into this thread too or someone can tell me what's the best alternative till now.

I hope to see your responses soon.

Thanks.

Mars
Since the theming engine has changed to WALTER, Shan had to start over from scratch and I don't think much progress has been made. There is a PT9 theme over at stash, but I quickly uninstalled it as it didn't really work well for me.
PTRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
marsmellow

hmmm...that's too bad.

Is he still active here on the Reaper forum?

Did Walter theming make it more easy for us to make a theme or is it now more difficult?
Seemed Shan was getting so close. Such a pity.

Anyone else ready to go for the challenge to make a 99% functional copy of Protools within Reaper?
Old 09-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
hopi

say, does PT offer a reaper theme as yet?

walter makes themeing more difficult BECAUSE it is not just a matter of changing the look of png files now... or just colors... BUT it also makes theming WAY more flexible and creative.

Thing that could never be done before are now very possible...

I do always wonder why it is so difficult for people moving from other DAW's to just go whole hog and get a reaper theme they like and just get into it.... customize the functions as they wish and enjoy the looks...

Do you try to make your new GF look and behave just like the one you split up with? [OMG... don't answer that]
Old 09-07-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
PTRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsmellow View Post
hmmm...that's too bad.

Is he still active here on the Reaper forum?

Did Walter theming make it more easy for us to make a theme or is it now more difficult?
Seemed Shan was getting so close. Such a pity.

Anyone else ready to go for the challenge to make a 99% functional copy of Protools within Reaper?
I am a long-time Pro Tools user (since around 2000) and I just started (seriously) using Reaper a little over a month ago. At first, I was hoping to make Reaper into a Pro Tools clone. The only things I ended up copying were the grid and waveform appearance. The more I use Reaper, the less I think about making it into a Pro Tools clone.
PTRefugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
marsmellow

I still hope we can make a PT theme, which comes close to the real thing, in terms of looks ánd functionality. But this will just be the basis...
Since Reaper offers much more than what Protools can offer for now, we can start building/integrating the cool featureset into this basic PT theme, so we get the ultimate Protools we as hardcore PT users always wanted for how many years.

Let's integrate into the basic PT theme:

- freeze
- snaphots
- clip based effects
- al other features which makes Reaper the best DAW on earth, but into this PT skin.

Are there any good theme builders around who see this as a challenge and are committed to work on this?
I wish I had some coding experience, so I would start right away.
Unfortunately I have only graphic design/photoshop experience...
Old 09-09-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
Sigilus

I suppose the question is, "Did the PT GUI boast superiority over Reaper's for your usage?" If so, then continue this endeavor. If not, then ask yourself "Why would I want to emulate that GUI if it is inferior, if not for nostalgia and familiarity alone?"
Sigilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:47 AM   #8
Shan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTRefugee View Post
The more I use Reaper, the less I think about making it into a Pro Tools clone.
⇧⇧We all end up here⇧⇧

Shane

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM
Shan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
PTRefugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
⇧⇧We all end up here⇧⇧

Shane
Guess we do don't we?