Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-19-2020, 02:12 AM   #1
Jortaana
Human being with feelings

Default Scarlett 2i2 3rd Generation

Is Scarlett 2i2 3rd Generation a Good choice for an audio interface? It would be my first purchase so it would be nice to hear how it works. Latency? Driver problems or not? I mainly record vocal and guitar. As a hobby, I am not going to spend a lot of money for that purpose, maximum 200€.
Jortaana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #2
DVDdoug

I don't own one -

Most of these "little interfaces" in the $100 - $200 range are pretty good and it's unlikely that it will be your "weak link".

I think it was the Focusrite that had a too-sensitive instrument input that would sometimes overload (clip/distort) even with the gain turned-down to minimum. But, that might have been an earlier generation.

Quote:
Latency?
It has zero-latency direct-hardware monitoring. That's a feature I'd want! (That might be new in the 3rd generation.)

Otherwise, latency mostly depends on "other things" (besides the interface & drivers). Latency is directly related to buffer size but the buffer size you can get away with (without glitches/dropouts) depends on what else your multitasking operating system is doing. If some other application/process/driver "hogs" the system for as few milliseconds too long, you get buffer overflow and a glitch. (It doesn't have to be using lots of total CPU time.)

With direct hardware monitoring you can use a big buffer with long latency, and besides trying to monitor yourself while recording there's no other downside to longer latency.
DVDdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:32 PM   #3
dug dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVDdoug View Post
I think it was the Focusrite that had a too-sensitive instrument input that would sometimes overload (clip/distort) even with the gain turned-down to minimum. But, that might have been an earlier generation.
Your memory is working well. It was a problem with the first generation that, I'm told, was corrected in gen 2.
dug dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #4
LarsCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug dog View Post
Your memory is working well. It was a problem with the first generation that, I'm told, was corrected in gen 2.
Indeed :-) I've got the first generation version and EVERYTHING tends to be too hot as input. Solved it with a DI-box.

In case you get it second hand, here's how to check what generation the 2i2 is: https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...en-or-3rd-Gen-
LarsCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:50 AM   #5
Jortaana

I have made up my mind and I bought Audient iD4 for my audio interface. It suites best my needs. Thank you for your opinions.
Jortaana is offline   Reply With Quote