Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 11-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
b0se
Human being with feelings

Default ReaInsert causing audio crackles when rendering. Normal routing works fine...

Hey there, hoping someone can help!

I'm running (OSX) 24/96 with a Metric Halo LIO-8 3D. My Reaper project is mainly WAV files, there's very little CPU being used (Reaper FX totalling 4% CPU, entire Mac at 14%).

If I route a channel through my hardware using ReaInsert and mix with it, it's 100% stable. No crackles or glitches. When I Render To File to print it I get crackles/glitches.

All other apps bar Reaper closed, WiFi disabled etc. I have a 4.5GHz machine with 64GB RAM.

I've tried using lower Render Modes and I still get them.

*** Update ***

Seems using ReaInsert and Render To File is the problem. If I send the track output directly to the hardware, then capture that on a new track using Record, it works. No crackles.

I'm using the same quality settings (in Render popup options and Project Settings).

Anyone have any ideas as to why rendering to file (online) is glitching out?

Last edited by b0se; 11-22-2019 at 02:34 AM.
b0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #2
Judders

I always record the output of a track if I'm using ReaInsert. I presumed render wouldn't work, but I don't know why.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
b0se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I always record the output of a track if I'm using ReaInsert. I presumed render wouldn't work, but I don't know why.
I use Render as you can auto populate the rendered file and append it as a new track at the bottom of the project.

Just to check - you route your track output to a new track and arm/record during playback?
Old 11-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
b0se

Strange - if I use the same render setting (Better) and pipe the output of the track directly to the hardware (not using ReaInsert), and then capture that in a new track and use Record (rather than render), it's fine - no clicks or glitches.

How can the Render settings be causing the issue?

Last edited by b0se; 11-21-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-21-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Strange - if I use the same render setting (Better) and pipe the output of the track directly to the hardware (not using ReaInsert), and then capture that in a new track and use Record (rather than render), it's fine - no clicks or glitches.

How can the Render settings be causing the issue?
Those quality settings are only for resampling, AFAIK, so unless you have audio files at a different sample rate in your project, or are rendering to a different sample rate, it shouldn't matter.

I'm not sure why record works but render doesn't. I usually record the output of a folder if I'm using ReaInsert on a group, or I have a mix bus track that I record if I'm doing a whole mix (there is a mix bus script in ReaPack that sets this up automatically).
Old 11-21-2019, 02:54 PM   #6
b0se

Quote:
Those quality settings are only for resampling, AFAIK, so unless you have audio files at a different sample rate in your project, or are rendering to a different sample rate, it shouldn't matter.

I'm not sure why record works but render doesn't. I usually record the output of a folder if I'm using ReaInsert on a group, or I have a mix bus track that I record if I'm doing a whole mix (there is a mix bus script in ReaPack that sets this up automatically).
Thank you for the replies (and the mix bus script tip).

Unfortunately that's exactly what's happening. I have a 96K WAV in Reaper, I loop it in/out to HW using ReaInsert (playback / live mixing is fine), then when rendering to file (online mode) with no resampling it crackles.

Could be a bug?
Old 11-21-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Judders

Have you tried turning off anticipative fx for the track? That has helped with crackling for me in the past with ReaInsert.

Other than that, sorry, I'm out of ideas.

Hopefully someone with more technical knowledge of this will chime in.
Old 11-21-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
b0se

Quote:
Have you tried turning off anticipative fx for the track? That has helped with crackling for me in the past with ReaInsert.

Thanks, I'll try that in the morning - fingers crossed.
Old 11-22-2019, 02:01 AM   #9
b0se

Quote:

Ah shame, that made it 10x worse!
Old 11-22-2019, 02:16 AM   #10
Judders

Bummer!

Maybe change the thread title to include something about outboard or ReaInsert so you're more likely to get someone who knows what they're talking about to help?
Old 11-22-2019, 02:24 AM   #11
b0se

Quote:
Bummer!

Maybe change the thread title to include something about outboard or ReaInsert so you're more likely to get someone who knows what they're talking about to help?
Great call, thanks again :¬)