Old 01-10-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Commala
Human being with feelings

Default Default Commala 5

After a lengthy delay, both versions of Default Commala 5 are now up!

Dark: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/De...ReaperThemeZip

Light: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1633/De...ReaperThemeZip

This is my mod of the Default theme from Reaper 4, which I've updated now to take advantage of some new Reaper 5 theming features.

A disclaimer - this now means that full track panel colour tinting is not readily available, for technical reasons. The theme can be edited to force this, but it won't look very nice.

Thanks again to White Tie, for his work on the Default Reaper 4 theme, Lerian, for Default Analog which this mod was initially based on, and Nick Moritz, for the toolbar icons from the Rado theme.

========================

Default Commala features:

- MCP track folder-state indentation, as seen in WT Voodoo

- new TCP layouts: Big meter, condensed

- new MCP layouts: Narrow, FX rack, small master

- reworked MIDI editor

- new panners

- coloured fader layouts

Last edited by Commala; 01-10-2016 at 03:19 PM.
Commala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #2
Psmeg

Awesome!

The number of times I've been asked what theme I'm running in my videos tuts is unbelievable.

Excellent work as always. :0)
Old 01-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #3
sinkmusic

Location: decepticon mothership in a hidden place inside a mountain

It looks wonderful : thank you so much !
sinkmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #4
vidalsh

Still one of the best themes...
vidalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commala View Post
A disclaimer - this now means that full track panel colour tinting is not readily available, for technical reasons. The theme can be edited to force this, but it won't look very nice.
First of all, let me say it's great. I want to adopt it. Nice new things, especially the v5 TCP and it's color variations which will always be visible; and also I don't know if anyone pointed out before how nice the skinny master was specifically.

I don't care about fully tinted track panels, but I need to change the items backgrounds and peak preferences. Is this as problematic as the track backgrounds? I see the default v5 theme is the same way? What the....

Still using DC4 exclusively
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
kingocounty

Fantastic! Thanks!!!
kingocounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #7
matv

My go to theme. Thanks you.
matv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
Fantastic! Thanks!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by matv View Post
My go to theme. Thanks you.
You're most welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
First of all, let me say it's great. I want to adopt it. Nice new things, especially the v5 TCP and it's color variations which will always be visible; and also I don't know if anyone pointed out before how nice the skinny master was specifically.

I don't care about fully tinted track panels, but I need to change the items backgrounds and peak preferences. Is this as problematic as the track backgrounds? I see the default v5 theme is the same way? What the....

Still using DC4 exclusively
So there is an option to allow tinting the peaks and item backgrounds separately, if you're comfortable editing an rtconfig. Near the top of the rtconfig, these lines appear:

tinttcp 1962
; "track panel tinting" enabled, allowing true colour swatches
; items are coloured according to track colour, and can be set independently as well
; colouring of individual takes will tint the waveform
; if you replace "1962" with "1578", take peaks are tinted instead of take backgrounds, but this will make it more difficult to see item selection(in this theme, peaks turn white when the item is selected, but not when takes are coloured)

You can change that to 1578 and see how you like it then. In fact there are many different numbers you can enter to affect how tracks and items are coloured, but they are derived from a rather complicated process. You can see that here, if you're brave: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...2&postcount=37

I have to say, requiring users to jump through hoops like this to get back functionality that was previously accessed directly within Reaper is a step backward, not forward.

Last edited by Commala; 01-11-2016 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
lachrimae

Very nice theme update Commala.

I'm a fan of dense TCP layouts so your Condensed option great.

The FX Rack and narrow MCP are also nice...
I like the sliders in your FX Rack layout and would probably prefer those in the default MCP but either way works.
lachrimae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 PM   #10
gmgmgm

Just adding another voice to the thank you chorus.

Great theme, a pleasure to work with. Occasionally I'll load up some other, just to refresh my appreciation for how much I enjoy your work.
gmgmgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:09 AM   #11
FnA

Thank you very much for the nice info Commala. No time for hoops today, but it could be worth it.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Gidcumb73

Default Viewing Issues

Anybody have any trouble with using the new dark and light themes? I have tried downloaded them four times and they each show up blinding white using the Classic 1 graphics. I don't have this issue with other themes. The Commala 3 dark theme I have works fine.

Frustrated. Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Probably something simple I am missing.

Thanks.
Gidcumb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:16 PM   #13
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinkmusic View Post
It looks wonderful : thank you so much !
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgmgm View Post
Just adding another voice to the thank you chorus.

Great theme, a pleasure to work with. Occasionally I'll load up some other, just to refresh my appreciation for how much I enjoy your work.
Ah, missed you the first time Sinkmusic, you're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmeg View Post
Awesome!

The number of times I've been asked what theme I'm running in my videos tuts is unbelievable.

Excellent work as always. :0)
I had a look at your tutorials, good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachrimae View Post
Very nice theme update Commala.

I'm a fan of dense TCP layouts so your Condensed option great.

The FX Rack and narrow MCP are also nice...
I like the sliders in your FX Rack layout and would probably prefer those in the default MCP but either way works.
I like the sliders too but they are slightly less space efficient and don't leave room for the labels when you have two of them (as in dual pan or stereo pan mode). Nevertheless I might add a switch to set all pan knobs to sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidcumb73 View Post
Anybody have any trouble with using the new dark and light themes? I have tried downloaded them four times and they each show up blinding white using the Classic 1 graphics. I don't have this issue with other themes. The Commala 3 dark theme I have works fine.

Frustrated. Hoping someone can provide some guidance. Probably something simple I am missing.

Thanks.
Are you using Reaper 5? After you download, if you simply double-click the file it should open Reaper and copy the file to your themes folder automatically. I just checked and it worked here for both
Old 01-17-2016, 05:43 PM   #14
Gidcumb73

yes using REAPER 5. I usually download the file directly to the Themes folder and then select the theme I want from inside REAPER. I will try what you said and see if that works.
Gidcumb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
cmacsound

Hmm, Reaper keeps crashing whenever I try to select this theme... I'm on a Mac. Is there something I'm missing?
cmacsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #16
mabian

Hello Commala, this looks gorgeous, just like the previous versions.

I miss panel tint though (especially in mixer).

Also, something I would like a lot, in dark theme, is that selected items turn black, whatever color they have when unselected.

Something like MIDI editor already does, where selected events get black inside and keep just a frame of their color.

It would be truly great if it could be possible.

Thanks,
Mario
mabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:58 PM   #17
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post

Also, something I would like a lot, in dark theme, is that selected items turn black, whatever color they have when unselected.

Something like MIDI editor already does, where selected events get black inside and keep just a frame of their color.

Thanks,
Mario
Having selected items turn black is easy to do by replacing item_bg_sel.png with something like this, renamed to the same:

You'll need to extract the ReaperThemeZip to get at the resources folder inside.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #18
mabian

Quote:
Having selected items turn black is easy to do by replacing item_bg_sel.png with something like this, renamed to the same:

You'll need to extract the ReaperThemeZip to get at the resources folder inside.
Thank you very much!

- Mario
Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 AM   #19
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Hi Commala!

Thank you very much, once again, for such a splendid theme. I haven´t used another one since I tried and edited a bunch of aspects of yours. Regarding full TCP/MCP tinting, as quoted above, does this mean that from now on that feature won´t be available anymore? If so, I´ll have to keep with version 4...

Another question (regarding version 4, particularly, if TCP tinting won´t be available anymore) : is there any way to make track selection (be it on TCP or MCP) have more strength -with a more intense colour shade or something like a frame, which already happens with selected items? Sometimes you have a lot of tracks selected, and it´s difficult to see the selection properly, specially depending on the colour of the tracks. This, of course, comes from the default theme of Reaper 4 itself, but maybe there is some way to hack this...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:21 PM   #20
FnA

Hi Soli. You can edit background images for selected TCP and MCP panels (and some other parts for MCP, iirc) in a way similar to item image. I did this with a version of Default Analog by Lerian (put an, in my case green, border around track). It does in fact offer very strong indication of track selection, but has some catches. Here's a few of those. You might try just making that "more intense shade." I never did that.

-Folder indentation causes incomplete border.
-Might have to do it to each layout. Copy/Paste might be possible in some of these.
-Green border on green track is useless. Other colors not so nice either.

I gave up on using fully colored track panels because it is too hard to tell if they are selected. Hence I gave up on the border, because it's not REALLY REALLY necessary with non fully tinted panels, but I do agree that the color could be a little more eye grabbing. Especially it seems on minimized tracks its sometimes not quite enough. Now...

Commala did include in this v5 version in at least the mixer layouts, a little white indicator light at the bottom of a selected MCP. I like this, and would like to see it developed in TCP too. I probably would like to change that to green which is my selection color for text, window tops, etc. If possible. But even white if not.

Commala? I looked at that stuff you posted. I do a little ReaScripting, but that stuff is all new and a bit discouraging. Have not gotten to it yet but I will eventually.

fwiw, I guess I'm most into:
TCP: Big Meter and Condensed
MCP: Narrow and Default
with their colored fader options.
Dark version.

Last edited by FnA; 01-23-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:48 AM   #21
lowellben

Quote:

Thanks,
Mario
Personally I think one of the best things about the appearance of the MIDI editor is that awesome frame concept. Where selected items just keep the FRAME border of their color, but then get darker and blacker inside. GENIUS idea. I want that all over Reaper, it's a great visual!
Old 01-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #22
mabian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
Personally I think one of the best things about the appearance of the MIDI editor is that awesome frame concept. Where selected items just keep the FRAME border of their color, but then get darker and blacker inside. GENIUS idea. I want that all over Reaper, it's a great visual!
Yes, this and, just like in Unempty Minima themes, a frame around TCP area for selected tracks. I seem to understand that this is a problem to achieve in Commala themes though.

- Mario
Old 01-24-2016, 10:00 AM   #23
lowellben

Quote:
Yes, this and, just like in Unempty Minima themes, a frame around TCP area for selected tracks. I seem to understand that this is a problem to achieve in Commala themes though.

- Mario
Oh How come? That is frustrating then. This Commala dark theme is LEGIT AMAZING otherwise.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #24
FnA

This is what my mod of the pngs ended up looking like.

Attached Images
File Type: png 2015-1-24.png (42.7 KB, 30973 views)
Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM   #25
lowellben

FnA can you share with us?
Old 01-24-2016, 03:24 PM   #26
FnA

I put that jpg on the flash drive and now I'm away from those images. Plus, I have to work on getting this version working how I want it, then I will see if those images will work in it or if others need to be made. Mostly I gave up on it because Commala updated his theme so much and I kept following it, and it was too much work, along with the other things that I usually change. So, maybe next weekend?

If you are impatient, I just took the unselected images and used (Can't remember if Paint.net or regular Paint. For MIDI colormap I know I had to use Paint.net because of transparency or overlay or something.) to draw green line. I may have extended the pink or yellow lines they use to stop stretching parts of the image.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #27
lowellben

Quote:
I put that jpg on the flash drive and now I'm away from those images. Plus, I have to work on getting this version working how I want it, then I will see if those images will work in it or if others need to be made. Mostly I gave up on it because Commala updated his theme so much and I kept following it, and it was too much work, along with the other things that I usually change. So, maybe next weekend?

If you are impatient, I just took the unselected images and used (Can't remember if Paint.net or regular Paint. For MIDI colormap I know I had to use Paint.net because of transparency or overlay or something.) to draw green line. I may have extended the pink or yellow lines they use to stop stretching parts of the image.
Well thanks anyway. I'll fire up Paint.net and try it myself here. Love this theme.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:59 PM   #28
FnA

Cool. I'm interested to see if Commala was going to expand on the indicator light concept anyway.

PS, I usually use 7zip program to change pngs, etc. It seems a lot better than that extension renaming trick.
Old 01-24-2016, 08:03 PM   #29
FnA

Ok, I changed the tinttcp variable to 1586. Googled binary converter and tried your variable to check it. Not too bad when you know how I suppose.

Is there a similar thing for tint strength for selected and unselected item backgrounds? That's greyed out in prefs too. I use black background for selected and would set that to 1 if I could. Maybe 0.5 if that was possible. I don't think it is/was.

Almost there!!!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #30
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacsound View Post
Hmm, Reaper keeps crashing whenever I try to select this theme... I'm on a Mac. Is there something I'm missing?
This doesn't happen here, and I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else either. Try re-downloading the theme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
Hi Commala!

Thank you very much, once again, for such a splendid theme. I haven´t used another one since I tried and edited a bunch of aspects of yours. Regarding full TCP/MCP tinting, as quoted above, does this mean that from now on that feature won´t be available anymore? If so, I´ll have to keep with version 4...
The track background image transparencies can be modified to allow full-panel tinting properly, but then it can't be turned off (as in the new v5 default theme). I went with the small colour strips because sparing use of colour better facilitates the user's ability to read colour cues. With the full-panel tinted, the various indicator lights are more difficult to discern at a glance. Track colouring is a way to organize the mix - with the small colour strips the eye simply has to scan along a particular line, and when that is done the track colour is out of the way of other elements. Harder to see the colour when the monitor is further away, though.

Quote:
Another question (regarding version 4, particularly, if TCP tinting won´t be available anymore) : is there any way to make track selection (be it on TCP or MCP) have more strength -with a more intense colour shade or something like a frame, which already happens with selected items? Sometimes you have a lot of tracks selected, and it´s difficult to see the selection properly, specially depending on the colour of the tracks. This, of course, comes from the default theme of Reaper 4 itself, but maybe there is some way to hack this...
As shown above, frames don't really look that great for technical reasons that FNA has given. Certain elements always overlap the track_bg. If there was another "frame" element added to walter specifically for this, it could look good.

Quote:
Commala did include in this v5 version in at least the mixer layouts, a little white indicator light at the bottom of a selected MCP. I like this, and would like to see it developed in TCP too. I probably would like to change that to green which is my selection color for text, window tops, etc. If possible. But even white if not.
I think that I will add the white indicator to TCP tracks, I was playing around with that but didn't go with it before. It would be more consistent if it were continued to the TCP.

Quote:
Commala? I looked at that stuff you posted. I do a little ReaScripting, but that stuff is all new and a bit discouraging. Have not gotten to it yet but I will eventually.

fwiw, I guess I'm most into:
TCP: Big Meter and Condensed
MCP: Narrow and Default
with their colored fader options.
Dark version.
I'm not sure what you're saying you could use ReaScript to do here. Are you referring to ELP's post on the tinttcp values?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowellben View Post
I got this from Lamda's themes, iirc http://www.mowerx.de/pages-reathemes/index.html

Last edited by Commala; 01-25-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:29 PM   #31
Maxwell999

Beautiful themes, thanks a lot.

I wish I could change the color of the fader in the master track.
Maxwell999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #32
tpulse

Hi there thanks for these beautiful themes
tpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #33
Soli Deo Gloria

Thank you very much, FNA and Commala! I´ll keep the v4 theme for now, since I´m quite used to it, and I´ll try here and there the new features of v5...
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:40 PM   #34
Commala

Quote:
Thank you very much, FNA and Commala! I´ll keep the v4 theme for now, since I´m quite used to it, and I´ll try here and there the new features of v5...
You can comment out "version 5" at the top of the rtconfig.txt by putting a semicolon at the beginning of that line. The track panels will be tinted this way.

Then, you can additionally comment out the line that defines tinttcp, below that, to get all the version 4 options open again.

The theme will look a bit funny, specifically the place where the colour strip would go, but I thought I would mention this at least
Old 01-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #35
FnA

Sorry, that ReaScript comment was just banter about having a little experience with computerisms in general.

I followed the instructions and was successful in changing item background and peak colors. Thanks! I looked around in RTConfig but could not tell there was something that would do the tint strength for selected media items. That preference is locked out as well. (also unselected. Mainly want to change Selected to [1])

Any idea? Theme is usable for me now, but since I use a black background to heighten contrast of selected items, fading the colored ones more would help I think.

As far as that selection light. I don't know if having it right next to color swatch or whatever it's called is effective after using for a while. Especially with, say, bright yellow track. I guess I don't know what to say regarding that at this point, except "Do your own thing, as you see fit."
Old 01-31-2016, 04:29 AM   #36
Tiggerdyret

How did you get the top of the window and the top menus to be dark? Mine is just the standard white windows color.
Tiggerdyret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:47 PM   #37
Commala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerdyret View Post
How did you get the top of the window and the top menus to be dark? Mine is just the standard white windows color.
It's a Windows theme

Quote:
Sorry, that ReaScript comment was just banter about having a little experience with computerisms in general.

I followed the instructions and was successful in changing item background and peak colors. Thanks! I looked around in RTConfig but could not tell there was something that would do the tint strength for selected media items. That preference is locked out as well. (also unselected. Mainly want to change Selected to [1])

Any idea? Theme is usable for me now, but since I use a black background to heighten contrast of selected items, fading the colored ones more would help I think.
I'm not sure now that you mention it. I will check this out a bit more. I was fairly certain that in a v5 theme, the colour is rendered pure, and the only thing that affects it is the transparency level of the item_bg images. So you would need to edit the image to get what you're after, essentially.

Quote:
As far as that selection light. I don't know if having it right next to color swatch or whatever it's called is effective after using for a while. Especially with, say, bright yellow track. I guess I don't know what to say regarding that at this point, except "Do your own thing, as you see fit."
It also stands out from the unselected tracks because the corresponding area on them will not be white. It isn't so much about contrast with the track colour as contrast within that dark 'selection row'. The selection interrupts what would otherwise be a continuous dark row, and therefore catches the eye
Old 02-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #38
alienbee

God I Love this theme !!!
been using it forever, thank you Commala!
alienbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #39
Denys

Great theme, I think it became my favorite.
Denys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #40
Wilson

Quote:
After a lengthy delay, both versions of Default Commala 5 are now up!

Dark: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1702/De...ReaperThemeZip

Light: https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1633/De...ReaperThemeZip

This is my mod of the Default theme from Reaper 4, which I've updated now to take advantage of some new Reaper 5 theming features.

Thanks again to White Tie, for his work on the Default Reaper 4 theme, Lerian, for Default Analog which this mod was initially based on, and Nick Moritz, for the toolbar icons from the Rado theme.

========================

Default Commala features:

- MCP track folder-state indentation, as seen in WT Voodoo

- new TCP layouts: Big meter, condensed

- new MCP layouts: Narrow, FX rack, small master

- reworked MIDI editor

- new panners

- coloured fader layouts

The best Theme! Thanks!!!
I tried to edit the rtconfig to set the fader for the Mixer Sidebar view to red but I dont get it. Can you help for that?
Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote