Old 12-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
for
Human being with feelings

Default 4 beats one measure

4 beats one measure

hello guys

i've heard of triplets being in a beat (3 notes)

i've heard of 16ths being in a beat (4 notes)

i've heard of 2xtriplets being in beat (6 notes)

i've heard of 32nths being in a beat (8 notes)

but i rarely ever heard of 5 or 7..... in each beat

why is that? i know how to count the triplets or 16ths...like 1 e + a for 16ths etc

but i don't even know if theres a counting for the 5 and 7
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
but i rarely ever heard of 5 or 7..... in each beat

Old 12-01-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
Fex

^ That's not 5 or 7 in each beat.
That's 7 in each measure.
Fex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
Fex

In this mp3, at 120 BPM, you will hear one measure each of 1, 3, 4 and 6 notes per beat (against 1 for reference).

It gets messy at this point.... I can't think 5 notes per beat, much less play it....
Old 12-01-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fex View Post
In this mp3, at 120 BPM, you will hear one measure each of 1, 3, 4 and 6 notes per beat (against 1 for reference).

It gets messy at this point.... I can't think 5 notes per beat, much less play it....
hey its actually very easy...u just count 1234512345 instead of 1e+a2e+a..
for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
^ That's not 5 or 7 in each beat.
That's 7 in each measure.

Ya' got me... However, I do it all the time though in guitar licks (5 notes per beat) and it sounds like a triplet of sorts because it is an odd number; a great trick by the way. It's the same concept though minus semantics and reduction of division FYI. We could argue that it is different but in the grand scheme it isn't, only a smaller subdivision than a measure.

It can be tricky, play five 16th notes, tap your foot on the 1st, that's all there is to it. Then pat your foot twice as fast while maintaining the original timing of the 5 notes, it again is very similar to a triplet where the 2nd foot stomp falls in between notes; basic polyrhythms 101 (in this case 5 over 2). No bigge and again, I suggest everyone try it because it's wonderful when properly used musically though I do admit that 9 out of 10 people whom I mention this to, freak out and go deer in headlights on me.

Last edited by karbomusic; 12-01-2014 at 09:36 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:34 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
hey its actually very easy...u just count 1234512345 instead of 1e+a2e+a..
It is. It get's harder if you now double the speed of your foot as I mentioned in the other post but it's not "that" hard and as I said a great musical expression when used tastefully. If a person can play 4 over 3, they can play 5 over 2 or 7 over 4 etc. "3 over" is just the most popular and used that's all.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
Fex

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
I do it all the time though in guitar licks (5 notes per beat) and it sounds like a triplet of sorts because it is an odd number;
Hmmm.... perhaps I do something similar, though I strum.... I couldn't tell you the timing, it's just "brrrrriiiiiiiiiiing".......

I think a lot depends on tempo. Hemi-Demi-Semiquavers might make sense in some musical contexts, but in rave, it's all just crunchy siren noise. In rock and folk, these are trills. In orchestral works, they're prolly some weird voodoo.

At a certain reduction in tempo, if persistant, the five/seven beat effect would take over, and you might as well write the piece in 5/4 or 7/4 or whatever.

I had a fight with a piece that I programmed in 4/4 because it felt like 4/4 to me, though the swing feel lent itself better to 6/8. I re-wrote it in 6/8, lost the work, and promptly made the same mistake again....

Quote:
Ya' got me...
I think it says something about the question that it got you. It got me. I did a year in music college and never heard of 5 notes to the beat, unless maybe the teacher mentioned briefly that it was possible and moved speedily on. The idea is kinda counterintuitive. Can REAPER even show the right grid for the job?

Last edited by Fex; 12-01-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: fishys
Old 12-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
I think it says something about the question that it got you. It got me. I did a year in music college and never heard of 5 notes to the beat, unless maybe the teacher mentioned briefly that it was possible and moved speedily on. The idea is kinda counterintuitive. Can REAPER even show the right grid for the job?
Makes sense. I got no formal schoolin' in music and when I stumbled across polyrhythms such as playing triplet 16th notes over 4, I wondered what would happen if I played 5 16th notes (quintuplets) per beat. Well it was hard at first yet fun and interesting. Very few do it which is what attracted me to it as that thing that sounds cool but others don't do.

I assumed it as 3 over 4 achieves 99% of it musically, it became the most used and popular. It is however expressive from time to time to use 5 16th notes per beat in a solo, especially if it consists of something other than 5 pitches. The way the pitches and notes "cycle" is very very cool and how I'd suggest it be used; inserted in a spot, not the core of the composition by any means and you'd just cycle that group of notes a few times and move on.

I could probably work up a cheesy example next time I have a free moment.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Fergler

They are called tuplets.

For e.g. (in same note values)

Duplets (2 inside of 3)
Triplets (3 inside of 2)
Quadruplets (4 inside of 3)
Quintuplets (5 inside of 4)
Sextuplets (6 inside of 5)
Septuplets (7 inside of 6)

etc

You often see the first 3 in orchestral music, quintuplets in solo music, and sextuplets in string and woodwinds parts in orchestral music, for e.g. Haydn Surprise symphony:

Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Fex

Quote:
I could probably work up a cheesy example next time I have a free moment.
Please do. I might have to steal it.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:09 PM   #12
Fex

Quote:
In orchestral works, they're prolly some weird voodoo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
You often see the first 3 in orchestral music, quintuplets in solo music, and sextuplets in string and woodwinds parts in orchestral music, for e.g. Haydn Surprise symphony:

Yeah, that. Voodoo.