Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Eyrelight
Human being with feelings

Default I just sound edited a feature film: Is this dream workflow possible?

I just sound edited a feature film that contains multiple medieval battle sequences (swords, punches/kicks, bow and arrow, etc). I did all of this in Pro Tools alone- It was not as efficient as it could've been.

I'd like to propose what my dream workflow would be and I wanted to see if you would all think this is possible or if it's even the best way to accomplish this.
  • I am running Windows 10
  • The 3 critical software applications would be Soundminer/Basehead, Pro Tools, and Reaper
  • My 4th monitor would be running video and would need to be synced to both Pro Tools and Reaper simultaneously (I don't know how to do this)
  • Sound FX would generally flow from Soundminer/Basehead to Reaper for design/layering and then need to be moved into Pro Tools for track organization. FYI, the use of Pro Tools here is non-negotiable
  • For the medieval example, I would like to have multiple sessions for each category open in Reaper. One for swords only, one for punches/kicks, another for bow/arrow, another for combat vocals, etc
    Every time I need a specific sound I click the session tab for the category which contains my consistent and/or evolving palette for the film
  • The real trick is how to move these sounds from Reaper to Pro Tools. Many times I will need to keep the multiple track layering intact instead of bouncing it down. Is there any situation where I would be able to drag multiple audio tracks from Reaper to Pro Tools in the same way I drag sounds from Soundminer/Basehead to Pro Tools? Any other options?
There are much more efficiencies to be had but that would be the foundation of my dream workflow.

What does everyone think? Also, what are the Film/TV Reaper blogs/YT channels that I should be subscribing to?

Last edited by Eyrelight; 09-11-2018 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Formatting
Eyrelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
airon
Human being with feelings

For starters, going from Reaper to Protools can be done with AATranslator. No problem there.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote