Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 PM   #1
mikechr
Human being with feelings

Default Track Status via OSC

I am looking for a method of triggering Reaper to send a track's recarm (record armed) / solo / mute status from an external device either for a selected track or from all tracks. I see in the ReaperOSC file the /device/track/select/1 message can be sent to Reaper, but this only returns volume, pan but not the settings I need.
Thanks!
mikechr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #2
ted209

I want to do the same. The only way I've found to achieve it is to toggle the mute/solo status twice for each track. An ugly workaround, but it gets the job done.
ted209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:47 AM   #3
zvukofor

"... triggering Reaper to send a track's recarm ... status from an external device ..."

What do you mean by that? Can you describe a scenario of your actions to explain what is needed?
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
mikechr

According to the OSC config file, and another posting in this forum, when the device sends "/device/track/select 1" to Reaper, Reaper responds back to the device with the track's status in several OSC messages. This message works in that Reaper sends some of the selected Track's attributes to the device, but only the track's volume and pan settings. I need the Record Armed (recarm) and would like the mute and solo status as well.

Do you have any insight because I really need this facility to implement a MIDI-driven animation project I am working on.
Old 08-12-2016, 03:14 AM   #5
zvukofor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechr View Post
According to the OSC config file, and another posting in this forum, when the device sends "/device/track/select 1" to Reaper, Reaper responds back to the device with the track's status in several OSC messages.
Yes, but it is not a track status, but all defined in config file track parameters.

Quote:
This message works in that Reaper sends some of the selected Track's attributes to the device, but only the track's volume and pan settings. I need the Record Armed (recarm) and would like the mute and solo status as well.

Do you have any insight because I really need this facility to implement a MIDI-driven animation project I am working on.
Well, that's pretty strange, as Reaper do sends all track parameters for device-selected track, including recarm status, track name/number, all track FX names, etc.

All you need is to make track's message paterns without wildcards.
You can see it in default config file:
TRACK_REC_ARM b/track/recarm b/track/@/recarm —*the first pattern is for selected track (like when you have 1 channel strip and selecting track to edit), the second —*for a numbered track.
zvukofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:21 AM   #6
mikechr

OK. I've managed to cause Reaper to send a track's RECARM status.
In case anyone else is interested, the process is:
1. First select the track from the OSC device using the t/device/track/select message.
2. Send the recarm message without a parameter to receive, but not set the track's recarm status. /track/recarm

I assume this works for mute, solo and other track parameters.

Without first selecting, the /track/recarm message generates no response from Reaper.
Thanks for your help.
Mike
Old 08-24-2018, 12:29 PM   #7
mikechr

Default How to cause Reaper to send track status

If someone else needs to get Reaper to send track status the command / action "Control Surface: Refresh All Surfaces" will accomplish this. Remember that an OSC client can send OSC messages to Reaper and trigger this refresh action.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:42 PM   #8
Gerrit

Quote:
If someone else needs to get Reaper to send track status the command / action "Control Surface: Refresh All Surfaces" will accomplish this. Remember that an OSC client can send OSC messages to Reaper and trigger this refresh action.
Thanks for the tip, this could come in handy during development. I'm working on a Teensy based OSC controller for Reaper and this is probably a good way to refresh the state of the controller after compile and upload of new code.
Gerrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:46 PM   #9
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit View Post
I'm working on a Teensy based OSC controller for Reaper
While I feel that for doing OSC communication, Ethernet is a better option than USB (a friend of mine does this very successfully using as RasPI board), I'd like to hijack this thread and ask, if you might have a recommendation for me.

I want to add a small stage-suitable display to my Live setup. Here I maybe could use a very small HDMI LCD display to be directly connected to the computer or a Midi via USB coupled device featuring an OLED device.

Any comments on this ?

Thanks,
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 12:33 AM   #10
Gerrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
While I feel that for doing OSC communication, Ethernet is a better option than USB (a friend of mine does this very successfully using as RasPI board), I'd like to hijack this thread and ask, if you might have a recommendation for me.

I want to add a small stage-suitable display to my Live setup. Here I maybe could use a very small HDMI LCD display to be directly connected to the computer or a Midi via USB coupled device featuring an OLED device.

Any comments on this ?

Thanks,
-Michael
I use OSC over ehternet with the Teensy. See this thread on the Teensy forum. I don't know if the pictures are visible for guests but there's still the code.

As to your stage display, it depends what should be visible on the screen. A HDMI display is certainly the easiest way to do this.
Old 08-25-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
mschnell

Quote:
As to your stage display, it depends what should be visible on the screen.
My setup allows for selecting lots of patches (sounds) via a surface device.

As two patches (upper and lower keyboard) can be selected independently, I'd like to display just two lines with the patch names (some 20 characters each).

OLED would be very small and bright (and need some controller to attach it to the computer (e.g. via USB/Midi)

LCD displays are rather big and might be too dim for stage use.

-Michael
Old 08-25-2018, 02:56 AM   #12
Gerrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
My setup allows for selecting lots of patches (sounds) via a surface device.

As two patches (upper and lower keyboard) can be selected independently, I'd like to display just two lines with the patch names (some 20 characters each).

OLED would be very small and bright (and need some controller to attach it to the computer (e.g. via USB/Midi)

LCD displays are rather big and might be too dim for stage use.

-Michael
The first issue would be to get at the patch names. Are we talking about virtual instruments or external hardware?

LCD displays can be bright, that would be a matter of getting the correct type. OLED screens tend to burn in but certainly have a better viewing angle. If it's just two lines you could opt for Broadcom HCMS series LED displays. These are (very) expensive but are easy to use and have excellent readability even in broad daylight and they also have a very large viewing angle. I use them in a sequencer project I'm working on: Teensy motorfader panel
Do you have experience building things with Arduino/Teensy? A project like this is far from trivial, without any experience you'd be better of getting a high brightness LCD HDMI display.
Old 08-25-2018, 03:49 AM   #13
mschnell

Quote:
The first issue would be to get at the patch names. Are we talking about virtual instruments or external hardware?
No problem at all with this. We talking about a system of JSFXes, I did myself. I can easily add support for patch names.

Many thanks for your hardware suggestions.

As I am an embedded software engineer in my job I am positive that I can handle any of such architectures.

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 08-25-2018 at 03:54 AM.