Old 07-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.50rc5 - July 3 2017

v5.50rc5 - July 3 2017
+ Web Interface: retrorename vector.html to fancier.html
# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected [p=1859887]
# Automation items: don't reset last touched automation item when clicking outside the envelope
# Peaks display window: show spectrogram configuration when viewing items that have spectrogram enabled
# Prefs: prevent reset of routing window close option

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:50 AM   #2
musicbynumbers

# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected [p=1859887]

Awesome thanks!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #3
Mercado_Negro

# Automation items: allow marquee selection of media items and automation items at the same time if envelope is not already selected

Schwa, maybe I misinterpreted your words the last time we discussed this but that's not what I think most people would expect (though it would be good to read what others have to say about this).

If I start the marquee selection over the track lane it should ONLY select media items, it doesn't matter if there are envelope lanes selected or not. I mean, this should be based on focus:

Drag on track lane = select media items only
Drag on envelope lane = select automation items only (and not only those automation items on that lane we started the marquee on, it should work on multiple envelope lanes as well, even on different tracks).

I'm saying this because what's the purpose then of having an option like "Move envelope points with media items"? If someone wants to move/copy points or automation items with their media items he just can enable this option and do it.

It doesn't make any sense to select automation items when selecting media items or viceversa. I think it's a pretty straightforward way to see it, based on what you're focusing on (track lane or envelope lane).
Old 07-03-2017, 01:31 PM   #4
EvilDragon

I think I agree with MN on this.

Moreover, the same should be true for regular envelopes with no AIs on them.

As it is now, as soon as you have a single envelope lane selected, envelope points get selected, EVEN IF marquee was started from the track lane, not envelope lane. I am not sure if this is good, honestly. Thoughts? I think I would like for env points to be selected only if the marquee was started from the envelope lane, and only media items selected if the marquee was started from the track lane.

By extension, devs, why does it seem so troublesome to allow marquee selection of regular envelope points (not AIs) over multiple envelope lanes (and possibly envelopes over multiple tracks)? This would be a pretty great benefit for mass editing...
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:38 PM   #5
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Moreover, the same should be true for regular envelopes with no AIs on them.

As it is now, as soon as you have a single envelope lane selected, envelope points get selected, EVEN IF marquee was started from the track lane, not envelope lane. I am not sure if this is good, honestly. Thoughts? I think I would like for env points to be selected only if the marquee was started from the envelope lane, and only media items selected if the marquee was started from the track lane.
Exactly, it's the same in that case. This all should be based on focus, on where you start the marquee.

Quote:
By extension, devs, why does it seem so troublesome to allow marquee selection of regular envelope points (not AIs) over multiple envelope lanes (and possibly envelopes over multiple tracks)? This would be a pretty great benefit for mass editing...
That would the glory, no doubt. Selecting points across envelope lanes would speed up things tremendously. I think we've been waiting for that for years.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #6
amagalma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
That would the glory, no doubt. Selecting points across envelope lanes would speed up things tremendously. I think we've been waiting for that for years.
Amen!
Old 07-03-2017, 01:48 PM   #7
heda

What can I do with both items and automation items selected at the same time? If I extend or trim item's edge, only items are extended and automation items are not affected. If I extend AI edge, only AI edges are extended. Maybe it should affect both if both are selected?

the action to open item properties (Item properties: Toggle show media item/take properties ID 41589) could open AI properties window if only AI is selected.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercado_Negro View Post
(automation item marquee stuff)
I am thinking the most predictable way to handle this would be as follows. This would make automation item selection identical to how envelope point selection is handled, but prioritize automation items over envelope points if the marquee includes both. This was the behavior

1. If a marquee includes only envelope points or automation items for a single envelope, that envelope becomes selected (current behavior).

2. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes envelope points or automation items on that envelope, then only that envelope is affected (current behavior).

3. Marquee never affects unselected envelopes, but marquee does affect an envelope that is selected during the marquee via #1 (current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).

4. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes automation item handles on that envelope (the bar at the bottom of the automation item), only automation items are affected, not envelope points (current behavior).

5. If an envelope is not selected, or the marquee does not contain envelope points or automation items on a selected envelope, and the marquee contains media items, only media items are affected, and media items on multiple tracks can be selected at once (current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).

6. No way to marquee select envelope points or automation items on multiple envelopes at once (current current behavior for envelope points, not current behavior for automation items).
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
6. No way to marquee select envelope points or automation items on multiple envelopes at once (current behavior for envelope points
Make a way, pleeeeeeease! ;_;

Regarding point 5., I think that's what is going to be confusing. As soon as an envelope is selected, marquee would contain both media items and envelope points/items, which might not be what was intended, if marquee was started from the track lane (implying user just wants to select media and media only). No?
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #10
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Make a way, pleeeeeeease! ;_;

Sorry, but selecting and editing envelope points on multiple envelopes at once is out of scope for 5.50.

You can edit selected automation items on multiple envelopes at once, but the process for selecting those automation items is under discussion here.

The current behavior, where media items and automation items are all marquee-selected together, isn't ideal.

My proposal above is to only marquee select automation items on a single track at a time, though you could build a multiple-envelope selection via multiple marquee selections, or click-selecting. This has the advantage of treating automation item marquee selection just like envelope point selection, but maybe that's not much of an advantage.

MN's suggestion would be the other possibility, where a marquee that includes both media items and automation items (and does not include anything from a selected envelope) would select only media items if started over a track, and only automation items if started over an envelope lane. But that behavior wouldn't apply to envelope points.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 01:09 PM   #11
jnif

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
4. If an envelope is selected, and the marquee includes automation item handles on that envelope (the bar at the bottom of the automation item), only automation items are affected, not envelope points (current behavior).
This behavior makes some edits unnecessarily difficult:

jnif
jnif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:45 AM   #12
Travesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnif View Post
This behavior makes some edits unnecessarily difficult:

jnif
I also have this problem
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote