COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > The Camel Farm

Old 01-11-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Dan
up here in my tree

Default Problems with the Camelizer for Google Chrome? Post here!

There has been one report of tabs crashing and price history charts not showing up in our new Chrome extension, so I am making this thread to encourage bug reports.

Thanks in advance for helping me fix these problems. As well as for your patience -- I am rather new at making Chrome extensions.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Unregistered

Default 2 Issues - Overstock.com, Hulu.com

When I first started using the camelizer it worked just fine, now it's not showing the graphs for any products on Overstock.com. On a side note, when I have the camelizer enabled most of the video thumbnails on Hulu.com are stuck in a loading state. They never load. I don't know why it would cause that, but when I disable camelizer it works. (I disabled each extension I have, individually, and camelizer was the culprit). Thanks.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #3
Dan
up here in my tree

Thank you for notifying me about this. The Overstock charts in the Camelizer have been fixed! Please check that out and let me know if it looks good to you.

Regarding Hulu, I will have to play with that some more to figure out what the problem is.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:02 AM   #4
Unregistered

Default Overstock Looks Great

Great, It looks like the Overstock graphs are working now. Thanks for the quick response.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
Dan
up here in my tree

No problem. I'm working on the Hulu thumbnail issue now, it's very strange...
Old 02-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
IIsi50MHz

The Camelizer v1.1
Google Chrome v4.0.249.78

With this extension enabled, the browser can become somewhat unresponsive while loading Amazon pages. (Scrolling becomes slower, or has substantial lack between input and result; changing tabs may be delayed; general UI sluggishness or lag)

I had before experienced tab crashes with this extension enabled. Only some Amazon product pages were affected, and could be loaded only when the extension was disabled. If a tab crashed, then any tabs opened from the tab would also crash, as would the parent tab. I have not reproduced these crashes tonight, and don't know the affected URLs. /-:

So far, every Amazon page I've tried has no charts. Clicking on the "the camelizer" logo reveals a kind of speech bubble with:

Click to view at camelcamelcamel.com
Sharing is caring (+)

crammed into the upper left corner. Note that '(+)' is my representation of green icon that also appears. The rest of the speech bubble is blank.

Samples:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA22...ref=pd_cp_pc_1
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VW246H-24...ref=pd_cp_pc_2
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Disc-Wi...091318&sr=8-30

Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 AM   #7
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIsi50MHz View Post
The Camelizer v1.1
Google Chrome v4.0.249.78

With this extension enabled, the browser can become somewhat unresponsive while loading Amazon pages. (Scrolling becomes slower, or has substantial lack between input and result; changing tabs may be delayed; general UI sluggishness or lag)

I had before experienced tab crashes with this extension enabled. Only some Amazon product pages were affected, and could be loaded only when the extension was disabled. If a tab crashed, then any tabs opened from the tab would also crash, as would the parent tab. I have not reproduced these crashes tonight, and don't know the affected URLs. /-:

So far, every Amazon page I've tried has no charts. Clicking on the "the camelizer" logo reveals a kind of speech bubble with:

Click to view at camelcamelcamel.com
Sharing is caring (+)

crammed into the upper left corner. Note that '(+)' is my representation of green icon that also appears. The rest of the speech bubble is blank.

Samples:

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VA22...ref=pd_cp_pc_1
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VW246H-24...ref=pd_cp_pc_2
http://www.amazon.com/Single-Disc-Wi...091318&sr=8-30
If you go back to those urls now, do the charts show up? They seem to be working fine here, in both FF and Chrome (same ver. as yours).

Please post links here to any URLs that crash the browser, we need to get that fixed asap. The same goes for those pages that kill performance.

Thanks for reporting these issues. I'm hoping to have an update ready for the Chrome extension soon, addressing the known bugs.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:58 AM   #8
IIsi50MHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If you go back to those urls now, do the charts show up? They seem to be working fine here, in both FF and Chrome (same ver. as yours).

Please post links here to any URLs that crash the browser, we need to get that fixed asap. The same goes for those pages that kill performance.

Thanks for reporting these issues. I'm hoping to have an update ready for the Chrome extension soon, addressing the known bugs.
Found the no-graph problem. It's a conlict with something in the AdSweep extension (AdBlock Chromium, AdBlock+, and AdThwart do not affect the graph).

I don't have any of the crashing URLs in my browser history. /-:

AFAICT, any Amazon page will cause slowdowns if The Camelizer is loaded. During the slowdown, the speed is irregular. Disabling AdSweep does not affect performance, but disabling The Camelizer removes the slowdown. Could still be a conflict with one or more other extensions.

((Ach, now I'm think of the old days of Extensions and Control Panels in Macintosh System 7--when the Conflict Catcher extension was necessary to troubleshoot odd interactions between various INITs and CDEVs...er, between various extensions and control panels))

Old 02-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #9
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Found the no-graph problem. It's a conlict with something in the AdSweep extension (AdBlock Chromium, AdBlock+, and AdThwart do not affect the graph).

I don't have any of the crashing URLs in my browser history. /-:

AFAICT, any Amazon page will cause slowdowns if The Camelizer is loaded. During the slowdown, the speed is irregular. Disabling AdSweep does not affect performance, but disabling The Camelizer removes the slowdown. Could still be a conflict with one or more other extensions.

((Ach, now I'm think of the old days of Extensions and Control Panels in Macintosh System 7--when the Conflict Catcher extension was necessary to troubleshoot odd interactions between various INITs and CDEVs...er, between various extensions and control panels))
Does AdSweep provide a way to view what content it is blocking? I sure hope we aren't listed in someone's database as spam/other badness!

If you get another crash, try to remember the product...it would help me zero in on the problem.

As for the browser slowdown, it definitely could be the Camelizer and I'll make sure we're not inadvertently loading inside any (hidden) iframes on amazon's site. A ton of Camelizer requests would slow your browser down, though it should already be ignoring iframes.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
Dan
up here in my tree

I just uploaded Camelizer v1.2. Please try it out and see if it alleviates any of your problems...though the fixes may only cover other stuff, as I haven't been able to replicate your bugs yet.

https://chrome.google.com/extensions...gehppbamfndblo

Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #11
IIsi50MHz

Quote:
I just uploaded Camelizer v1.2. Please try it out and see if it alleviates any of your problems...though the fixes may only cover other stuff, as I haven't been able to replicate your bugs yet.

The slowdown may not be noticeable when you just look at the Amazon page as it loads, without trying to scroll the loading page, change tabs, or scroll another page. I'd say it most affects scrolling.

At this point, I'm tempted to attribute the crashing problem to a conflict with a prior version of some extension, an instability in a prior version of Chrome, or Windows (the old scapegoat or copout).

I've added a note of the conflict between this and AdSweep to AdSweep's buglist. There does not appear to be a list of AdBlock's rules available; the code appears to be quite a bit more complex than most ad-blockers. The current workaround is to goto Amazon.com, click the AdSweep icon in the addressbar, then click "Disable ad-blocking for this site".

Old 02-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #12
IIsi50MHz

Might be worth noting that graphs viewed on camelcamelcamel.com are not affected by AdSweep.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:38 AM   #13
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
The slowdown may not be noticeable when you just look at the Amazon page as it loads, without trying to scroll the loading page, change tabs, or scroll another page. I'd say it most affects scrolling.

At this point, I'm tempted to attribute the crashing problem to a conflict with a prior version of some extension, an instability in a prior version of Chrome, or Windows (the old scapegoat or copout).

I've added a note of the conflict between this and AdSweep to AdSweep's buglist. There does not appear to be a list of AdBlock's rules available; the code appears to be quite a bit more complex than most ad-blockers. The current workaround is to goto Amazon.com, click the AdSweep icon in the addressbar, then click "Disable ad-blocking for this site".
Amazon pages can be heavy on the video / content widgets, so I wouldn't be surprised if trying to scroll through them all is slow on some machines...but if you can disable the Camelizer and the page scrolls normally, that's probably all the proof we need

The charts load from the same URL whether the source is the Camelizer or our sites, so I'm not sure why it would stop them from loading. Did v1.2 change anything for you?

Oh, and regarding the crashing -- the only version of Chrome that supports extensions is the beta, so there is the chance that the crashing is happening as a result of something the browser is doing.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:

It appears that v1.2 has fixed the Hulu issue I was having. Thanks for the hard work.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #15
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It appears that v1.2 has fixed the Hulu issue I was having. Thanks for the hard work.
Woot, that's awesome! You're welcome, thanks for reporting that bug =)
Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #16
IIsi50MHz

Quote:
the only version of Chrome that supports extensions is the beta, so there is the chance that the crashing is happening as a result of something the browser is doing.
Not anymore: http://blog.chromium.org/2010/01/mor...evelopers.html

Monday, January 25, 2010
"This morning, we announced... Extensions are now available to all Google Chrome users..."
--Ian Fette, Product Manager

Yay! Extensions for everyone!

Old 02-04-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Not anymore: http://blog.chromium.org/2010/01/mor...evelopers.html

Monday, January 25, 2010
"This morning, we announced... Extensions are now available to all Google Chrome users..."
--Ian Fette, Product Manager

Yay! Extensions for everyone!
Excellent! I didn't see that when it was announced.

(Though also not-excellent as that means the problem lies with the Camelizer.)
Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 PM   #18
IIsi50MHz

Quote:
Excellent! I didn't see that when it was announced.

(Though also not-excellent as that means the problem lies with the Camelizer.)
Since I can no longer reproduce the crashing issue, perhaps it was a Google Chrome bug and they fixed it. Could be there were other ways to produce the same crash without making Google's testers use Camelizer on Amazon...

Tempting, isn't it? x-:

Old 02-05-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Since I can no longer reproduce the crashing issue, perhaps it was a Google Chrome bug and they fixed it. Could be there were other ways to produce the same crash without making Google's testers use Camelizer on Amazon...

Tempting, isn't it? x-:
Haha yes...let's have every Google user try the Camelizer!
Old 06-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #20
skrymir01

Default Amazon.com rating stars messed-up

Recently (in the last day or two?) the rating stars for Amazon items started getting smooshed to the side and cropped, but only once Camelizer fully loaded. At first I thought it was an issue with Flash (I installed the 10.1 beta) but even after uninstalling 10.1 the issue still exists. I don't know if Flash was somehow the catalyst for an issue, but its definitely Camelizer that causes the problem because it goes away when I disable the extension. I love using Camelizer, so I'm hoping a fix can be made and pushed so I can re-enable and still be able to see an item's rating.

Let me know what other information will be useful.

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #21
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrymir01 View Post
Recently (in the last day or two?) the rating stars for Amazon items started getting smooshed to the side and cropped, but only once Camelizer fully loaded. At first I thought it was an issue with Flash (I installed the 10.1 beta) but even after uninstalling 10.1 the issue still exists. I don't know if Flash was somehow the catalyst for an issue, but its definitely Camelizer that causes the problem because it goes away when I disable the extension. I love using Camelizer, so I'm hoping a fix can be made and pushed so I can re-enable and still be able to see an item's rating.

Let me know what other information will be useful.

Thanks!
This should be fixed as of last night. Is it still broken for you?
Old 06-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
skrymir01

Quote:
This should be fixed as of last night. Is it still broken for you?
You are correct, it's working now. Thanks!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Dan
up here in my tree

Woot! No problem, sorry about that little bug.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM   #24
Unregistered

Exclamation

i love the extension and this becomes even more evident when it stops working! recently though it has stopped working on amazon.com. I am using the latest version of Google Chrome on Mac OS X.6.3 > Thank you!!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:37 PM   #25
Dan
up here in my tree

http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/803/...d-for-now.html

Amazon requested that we disable it. We hope to re-release it in a new (and Amazon-approved) form, but I'm not yet sure if they will go for it.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #26
Unregistered

sorry to hear that. hopefully it works out as this will be missed.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #27
Dan
up here in my tree

Thanks...we'll do our best to bring it back soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #28
juliushibert

Default Issue with The Camelizer 1.2

Every time I try and visit amazon with this plugin in chrome it doesn't work and shows this error at the bottom of every amazon product page.

The Camelizer v1.2 for Amazon has been deactivated at Amazon's request.

Any solutions?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #29
Nithya
Human being with feelings

You can try the beta version of the new camelizer which will be officially released in the next month or so (once it's all polished and bug free). See here for more details: http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/831/...rome-beta.html

And for those who're on firefox, see here: http://blog.camelcamelcamel.com/816/...r-firefox.html
Old 07-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #30
Unregistered

Camelizer v1.2
Chrome v6.0.458.1

After AVG finished running a scheduled scan, it reported that the "background" file of the extension contained a virus.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 PM   #31
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Camelizer v1.2
Chrome v6.0.458.1

After AVG finished running a scheduled scan, it reported that the "background" file of the extension contained a virus.
I wonder if it's mistakenly detecting the javascript in that file as a virus? It shouldn't be doing anything rude to your computer, unless it was infected post-download...

Care to upload your downloaded copy of the extension and I'll take a look? I apologize in advance if this is in any way my fault, and would hate to lose your trust by providing a download with a virus in it (but I don't think that is the case, as I run a virus scanner myself.)
Old 08-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #32
Unregistered

Hi,

The camelizer extension requests permission to use data on all sites. Is this necessary since you only work on a few shopping ones? It would make more sense to just ask for data on amazon or newegg or whatever sites camelcamelcamel works on.

Thanks for the great work!

Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #33
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Hi,

The camelizer extension requests permission to use data on all sites. Is this necessary since you only work on a few shopping ones? It would make more sense to just ask for data on amazon or newegg or whatever sites camelcamelcamel works on.

Thanks for the great work!
It may simply be that we are being too broad in our use of the permissions functionality in Chrome extensions. I will take a look and see if we can be more specific about it.

Thanks for letting us know about this.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #34
FengShui

Default Option to not display third party prices graphs

I'm starting to see a lot of camelizer graphs that aren't usable due to unrealistically high 3rd party used prices. Can you add options to not show those?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #35
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by FengShui View Post
I'm starting to see a lot of camelizer graphs that aren't usable due to unrealistically high 3rd party used prices. Can you add options to not show those?
We have this option coming out with the next update of our websites, so shouldn't be far behind in the Camelizer.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #36
Unregistered

Default Camelizer pop-out is cut-off

Hi,
Using Chrome Dev 9.X...on Amazon, after clicking on the camelizer icon in the omni-bar, only a 1/2-inch pop out comes out.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #37
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Hi,
Using Chrome Dev 9.X...on Amazon, after clicking on the camelizer icon in the omni-bar, only a 1/2-inch pop out comes out.
After an email discussion, we determined the problem was a conflict with the page2rss extension for Chrome. We don't yet know which extension is responsible, but disabling page2rss fixed the display issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #38
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi,
Same problem.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #39
Dan
up here in my tree

Quote:
Same problem.
What other extensions do you have installed? We've confirmed that page2rss is causing a conflict with the Camelizer.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #40
Unregistered

Default Pop-Out Problem

Quote:
What other extensions do you have installed? We've confirmed that page2rss is causing a conflict with the Camelizer.
Same problem here. Sometimes if I click a second time it works. Other extensions besides The Camelizer (no page2rss) I have installed are:

AdBlock
Drag and Go
FlashBlock
Forecastfox Weather
Google Dictionary
Google Similar Pages
Google Voice
IE Tab
InvisibleHand
LastPass
Speed Dial
Webpage Screenshot