Old 01-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #1
jomtones
Human being with feelings

Default Low latency Thunderbolt soundcard

(Apologies, not a Reaper question, but asking here cos you guys know your stuff)

Latest OSX update just disabled my aging Fastrack Pro �� .... fair enough, I've been thinking about upgrading anyway. Never again, M-Audio!

So: Currently trying to decide between:
- UAD Apollo Twin
- Focusrite Clarett 2Pre

I'm planning to use a V-Drum type setup live, so stability and LOW LATENCY are absolute priorities. Sound quality comes a close 2nd. Not that fussed about the UAD plugins, as I own a bunch I like already.

I'm running OSX High Sierra, on a 2017 mostly-maxed-out Macbook Pro. Running Reaktor standalone alongside Ableton with loads of synths running in it. (It's a complicated setup, I can explain some other time).

Any thoughts? Be great to hear from someone who's used either or ideally both! Open to other suggestions in this price range... be nice to have analogue 4 in / 4 out.

(Also - anyone seen a recent comparison of soundcard real-time-latency?)
jomtones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #2
Stella645

Presonus Quantum 2 may have the lowest latency if you can live without any option for direct monitoring.
UAD has also just released the Arrow interface at a lower price point than the Twin.

I don't think anyone is doing latency comparisons of TB yet. But maybe at GS you can search the thread to find user submitted tests for the interfaces you are interested in.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...data-base.html
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
serr

My first question would be what new feature in OSX 10.13 is so important that you will actually spend money on a new interface in order to keep 10.13?

Now upgrading is all well and good! But that's my first question since rolling back to whatever version of OSX that supports your hardware is free.

Not sure if you meant to describe a pci thunderbolt adapter card or a thunderbolt audio 'interface' there. (Some people call interfaces "cards" regardless of the connection type.) If you meant a TB pci adapter though, none of them are recommended! It's more of a low throughput adapter to allow connecting modern TB devices that just happen to use the connector type. Anything requiring TB speeds doesn't play well with these. That's the review of every single TB expansion card I've ever seen unfortunately. Someone can feel free to debunk that of course!
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
jomtones

Thanks to both... I use this laptop all the time for work on the web, so feel compelled to keep it up to date given the latest security flaws revealed.

Also this Fastrack Pro is basically rubbish!

Sorry yeah external interface, not card, just got used to calling it that from PC days.
jomtones is offline   Reply With Quote