Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 03-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #361
sai'ke
Human being with feelings

Yeah, I noticed this too. Bit odd, I don't think I changed anything in my change log style. I'll have another look at this next time I update.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:25 PM   #362
Sju

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai'ke View Post
I added it. The slider mod settings will be stored in presets, but are not automate-able from the arranger. I'm quite curious what you end up doing with it. I had to refactor some of the modulation code for this; so please let me know if there are issues. Note that lookahead (for now anyway) with this mode is technically not supported. Using lookahead in conjunction with dynamic modulation of the LFO causes a phase shift between the dynamic variable and LFO. For most intents and purposes this would probably not be noticeable, but I thought it'd be good to know.
Very cool, thank you! Doing some game sound design at the moment, and it should come in handy for making various modulating whooshes and cool scifi sounds.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:51 PM   #363
sai'ke

Hope it's useful

Changelog:
- Changed the resonance slider for the vibrato to respond non-linearly (gives a bit more precision in the more interesting low region).
- Improved vibrato smoothing (no more clickiness when dragging sliders quickly).
- Improved feedback (fractional delay).
- Improved feedback (smoothing of FB delay time to avoid clickiness).
- Added spin filter.
- Bugfix in the reinitialization code (when seeking) for the delay buffers of filter 2.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:55 PM   #364
toadhjo

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but Filther's UI doesn't fit on my screen even if I maximize it.

I'm on Windows 10 with a 1080p monitor. Windows is set to 125% scaling and Reaper is using application scaling mode.

Thoughts? User error on my part?
toadhjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #365
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhjo View Post
Windows is set to 125% scaling and Reaper is using application scaling mode.
That's the problem right there. If text is too small in Windows, use "windows colors and metrics" to change it. Changing DPI causes all sorts of problems.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 AM   #366
Sju

With 2.25, the feedback delay time bug is back: value of zero results in a very long delay time instead.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:01 AM   #367
sai'ke

Try 2.26. It was indeed a bug, but a different one. I added fractional delay to feedback to give a higher quality when automating the delay. Something got rounded down to zero, which meant that 0 was the maximal delay

Hopefully reapack recognizes it, since I had to update the index.xml by hand (no reapack indexer here) @_@

As for the scaling issue, I could try and make a rescale estimator hotkey. Give me a few days and I'll have this up and running I think

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-05-2019 at 03:23 AM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #368
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but Filther's UI doesn't fit on my screen even if I maximize it.

I'm on Windows 10 with a 1080p monitor. Windows is set to 125% scaling and Reaper is using application scaling mode.

Thoughts?

ello- well try 100% with 1080 + also go into all your graphic card options and text scaling wizards as well to help you out a little if needed..
+ double click the filther icon-that resizes the plugin and ya should be gtg.
i've just upgraded to 50' monitor and am still adjusting programmes and scaling options to suit new views... even your monitor might have options for centering or w/e,antialiasing or smoothing per pixel..
like filther--the more 1 tweaks--the more they will 'find'.
+try floating the plug=find it fits better than the fx browser does (especially if docked up top)

@sai'ke! - just wow-- sweet additions!!
did notice the drastic change from 1st introduction of vibrato-- originally i got it to act as a sort of 'vinyl rubber' =simulating turntable style pitch pushes n such-- but the 2nd update totally broke the 2 presets i made specifically for that finding-- now it does not pitchwarp the audio as much-- so that effect is lost.. lol sigh : ( almost got to thinking it was gonna be a new dj style secret weapon-- but my hopes have been dashed by the updates!!) lolz..

any chance of re_establishing that 'desired' effect- seemed fun originally <here> but now it has been tamed to something less 'exciting' for lil'ol'me.

this is like a ride-with scenery that constantly changes--which is great,but the unknowns are kinda-- tricky to pindown in duplication processes..
1luvbruv!
this has been getting quite a lot of attention> deseverdly so=bravo for gaining interest in a 1manbands project.
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #369
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bri1 View Post
@sai'ke! - just wow-- sweet additions!!
did notice the drastic change from 1st introduction of vibrato-- originally i got it to act as a sort of 'vinyl rubber' =simulating turntable style pitch pushes n such-- but the 2nd update totally broke the 2 presets i made specifically for that finding-- now it does not pitchwarp the audio as much-- so that effect is lost.. lol sigh : ( almost got to thinking it was gonna be a new dj style secret weapon-- but my hopes have been dashed by the updates!!) lolz..
Wahey, sorry. Could you send me the preset that did that in the old version so that I can study what was going on there? Whether it was the fractional delay that killed the effect or the remapping of the amount slider. I'd sooner expect the latter and if it is actually the latter, check if the effect that you had is not reproducible at high resonance levels now.

I mean, using fractional delays should really be an improvement in terms of sound quality; but sometimes artefacts can sound nice I guess?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:25 AM   #370
Bri1
Banned

sure can send them-- how is best for me todo that? rpl,or..copy pasting text somewhere?
oh+ sometimes i use parm mods-- which do not save unless track templated i thunk... so>? how to send?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #371
sai'ke

Quote:
sure can send them-- how is best for me todo that? rpl,or..copy pasting text somewhere?
oh+ sometimes i use parm mods-- which do not save unless track templated i thunk... so>? how to send?
Did you check whether upping the resonance slider on those presets fixes it?

If not, then easiest is probably reaper project with only the track and media item where your effect can be heard. Then I can study what it is doing and what change may have affected it.

If that's not possible for some reason, just the preset in RPL form and which version of Filther you made it on. I mean, the goal is so that I can hear what effect you're using and then I might be able to specifically add something that might get that effect back.

I have multiple versions running side by side here, so I can easily check differences

I really do my best to not modify existing ones, unless there's really some kind of flaw.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #372
Bri1
Banned

heh-- sure-- sent via pm.. resonance was at 1 i think both cases... please dimiss if chatting rubbish here..
Old 03-05-2019, 08:55 AM   #373
Sju

Feedback working again, thanks!

Modulating the delay and feedback times yields some crazy and awesome results.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:35 AM   #374
sai'ke

Bri1; Thanks, I'll look into it when I get home.

Sju; Good good. Yeah? Any crazy ones you feel like sharing?
Old 03-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #375
TonE

Filter problem was solved by saike, for all future. Plus ReEQ by nitsuj.

Pitch following with YIN algorithm was solved by aparker127, which gives tony inside Reaper.
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/30507/pitch-follower

Switchable transpose was solved by boreg.

buzz tracker inside Reaper was solved by saike, hackey trackey, patterns, machines.

random notes was solved by Time Waster, Random Note Gate. However random slider is still missing.

Which are the other big problems to be solved for Reaper?

Btw. I can not see any parameters/gui after modulation range for LFO, so anything what comes after it I have not access via gui, so I have to guess via the parameter list.
Filther needs a scrollable gui.

Last edited by TonE; 03-05-2019 at 01:34 PM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:48 PM   #376
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Btw. I can not see any parameters/gui after modulation range for LFO, so anything what comes after it I have not access via gui, so I have to guess via the parameter list.

hmm--yes it seems running much lower screen resolutions maybe better for pc performances n such-but not certain plugin sizings if they remain fixed.
a lot of jsfx are automagically resizing,but this 1 is not atmo..
working around with different monitor resolutions,seems inappropriate,but works...the same as showing all controls on track panels will just only show params user wants with 0 graphic feedback,but works ok (or,project manager <> show fx params.)

@sai'ke> this ickle lfo grem is back..caught in the net.. > https://drive.google.com/file/d/184h...lRzzy21NB/view

will have another look+ longer run through in a few days time--fanx_a_lot.
please excuse typos /and/or spelling mistakes from any previous posts..errk heh..
Old 03-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #377
TonE

The filter inside Simple mono/poly synth by Tale sounds also interesting to my ears, not sure if this is already included inside Filther, with the permission of Tale of course? Just one more option because the list is so small.

Is it possible to get the stereoscope as a separate jsfx as well, for putting into master channel, this is the quickest one, there are a few other jsfx but those do not react that fast.

Head mounted views, for all members of any band, during concerts, rehearsals might be the future additional material for generating $ from fans or youtube, sell it if you can or put on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhZDT7tlAkg

From which concerts you would want head mounted versions?
Michael Jackson, Billy Jean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iX0dkRhj7g

Last edited by TonE; 03-06-2019 at 02:57 AM.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #378
Sju

Quote:
Sju; Good good. Yeah? Any crazy ones you feel like sharing?
I'll see if I have some time to make some that aren't too source-specific.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #379
sai'ke

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadhjo View Post
Consider this feature somewhat experimental, but the new version should resize the UI to the window height currently open if you hit SHIFT + Q. Be careful though, the text might get unreadably small . Alternatively, there's a vertical scrollbar now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
New version has a scrollbar when height is insufficient.

Quote:
@sai'ke> this ickle lfo grem is back..caught in the net.. > https://drive.google.com/file/d/184h...lRzzy21NB/view
Hmm, interesting. Is it reproducible? Could you send me a preset that has this behavior?

Changelog items:
+ Tweaked AGC a little.
+ Also added F12 hotkey if a MIDI note gets stuck for whatever reason.
+ Added SHIFT+Q (fit to window)
+ Added scrollbar when height is too small to accomodate Filther.
+ Added F12 as a button to reset MIDI note.
+ Tweaked how long AGC stays enabled after randomization (bit longer).
+ Adjusted limiting cap when AGC is enabled.
+ Added help for shortcuts F1.

Last edited by sai'ke; 03-06-2019 at 05:45 PM.
sai'ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 11:41 PM   #380
toadhjo

Quote:
Consider this feature somewhat experimental, but the new version should resize the UI to the window height currently open if you hit SHIFT + Q. Be careful though, the text might get unreadably small . Alternatively, there's a vertical scrollbar now.
I just tried it out. The resizing works brilliantly. I see that the text also scales depending on big or small I make the window. Very nice.

Thank you!
toadhjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 AM   #381
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Is it reproducible? Could you send me a preset that has this behavior?

heyyy-urrm well not since updates..not noticed that happening--think i sent the preset sty morfskribbla2 >maybe it was specific ...
not got to checking all new changelog--but having a quick blast =seemed to return good results!
really appreciate this... it's a really wonderfull creation from the infinite mind..❤
Old 03-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #382
Bri1
Banned

+oh--before i forget-- noticing how if user saves a preset @ a certain sizing--that sizing sticks with preset ok..
am not sure about that 'ghost' >no preset< that appears in listing--i seem to get 1 at top as reaper default--but another further down.... maybe something todo with overwriting,or reaper doing something else..? =dunno..lol
great tool though-interesting in it's current state--as far as perfect emulations of specific filtration types-- well that all needs proper scoping does'nt it... am sure you got this--!
are you still looking at adding any more,or other features/functions now??
great!
Old 03-07-2019, 09:36 AM   #383
Eliseat

Okay, I feel a bit better now. And I was curious enough to take a brief look into the Filther news thread: Vibrato is there!
Pretty nice addition in my opinion as it offers a lot of analog like movement. I really like such things. d( ♥‿♥)b

Its still amazing to see what you put into it, Sai'ke. When I started the newest version of Filther today - the first time at all, since I got sick - it really felt more stable and compact. Could be an illusion. But it reacted solid to every parameter change. And it was a nice feeling listening to all the sounds with a bit of distance and fresh ears. So keep in mind: every sickness has a nice side effect. It FORCES you to take a time out, and this helps to reset all senses.

Though I'm still in bed (extrasystole, maybe myocarditis!) I can do some testing and sound shaping for Reaper. And Sai'ke, everything I post here is free on all purposes. If you want certain clips as example, just take them. But I promise, I will still do the right videos. Some things keep me off at the moment. But there will be some good example soundscapes in the near future! I swear by all the Puritans around the world!

till then
Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #384
Eliseat

Quote:

From which concerts you would want head mounted versions?
Michael Jackson, Billy Jean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iX0dkRhj7g
Head mounted version. Is this a drug thing or ... ?

By the way. This Michael Jackson live video looks kind of pathetic from today's viewpoint.
Those footsteps feel like piano playing at 127 velocity on every note. Also the sound ... meh (´∩`)

-
Old 03-07-2019, 10:02 AM   #385
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
By the way. This Michael Jackson live video looks kind of pathetic from today's viewpoint.
Those footsteps feel like piano playing at 127 velocity on every note. Also the sound ... meh (´∩`)

lolz--hmm that's an interesting perspective..literally millions of happy listeners +viewers might disagree..heh..
i mean micheal went multi platinum few times over--how many times you at m8?

the point of camera perspectives is todo just that--give differring viewpoints..but how many paying 'punters' would like to be staring at themselves in the audiences?..or just looking at stage kit etc?? or hair on a persons head...
be great for extra dvd content=absolutely!

^cockos's justin himself enjoys a good ol crotch cam..every now n then--it's all part of the sonic surveillance spec sheet...
still got nothing to do with filther though eh... what's good with that< dear users?
try it,to find out,or not... maybe filther can make a certain singer,or instrument player/electronic producer the new generation of a mega star...b00m.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:00 AM   #386
Eliseat

Quote:
lolz--hmm that's an interesting perspective..literally millions of happy listeners +viewers might disagree..heh..
i mean micheal went multi platinum few times over--how many times you at m8?
Boah! That's not fair. Seems like its fun for you to go on about me.
I wasn't talking about Michael Jackson but about this particular live video. It is - if you measure it from today's level of quality - just plain and cheap. Those footstep sounds are not synced or alive in any way. The sound is just pure playback. No room, no atmosphere. The whole thing looks like posing without any value. To make it short: its hideous! Only blind fan people could see something of value in there.

Lets talk about Filther!

Yeah! I love Filther!
Old 03-08-2019, 02:20 AM   #387
Tale

Quote:
The filter inside Simple mono/poly synth by Tale sounds also interesting to my ears, not sure if this is already included inside Filther, with the permission of Tale of course?
No permission is needed, because a) most my stuff is WTFPL, and b) that specific filter implementation was derrived from another public domain implementation. Anyway, I doubt if it's really that interesting...
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #388
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
To make it short: its hideous! Only blind fan people could see something of value in there.

lolz--i'm not knocking it,and i'm not really a massive fan of m.j...but most music he performed>> still went multi platinum... (liking all the jackson's earlier stuff actually--the funkier side)
and that's--without filther!! who knows what effect this could have had...

Quote:
Anyway, I doubt if it's really that interesting...

hey Tale- have you looked at the code for this filther?? can you see any optimizations or 'faults' in this right now??
"what would you do?"
Old 03-08-2019, 06:35 AM   #389
Tale

Quote:
The filter inside Simple mono/poly synth by Tale sounds also interesting to my ears, not sure if this is already included inside Filther
After a quick run through all 71(!) filters I think Filther's SVF LP (ZDF) is almost identical to the low-pass filter in my mono_synth.

Quote:
hey Tale- have you looked at the code for this filther?? can you see any optimizations or 'faults' in this right now??
"what would you do?"
I'm simply in awe of Filther, I would not dare to criticize it!
Tale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:45 AM   #390
Eliseat

Grrrrrr! Bri, you drive me crazy! (ʘ言ʘ)

He was popular, yes! He could have made a dump on stage and those fans would have loved it. Its also a big difference if you get beaten into glory and then have the billions to top every known production quality, merchandise efficiency and selling strategy with ease or if you make great music but don't get popular thru fairy tales and decadent behavior. If assholes with billions of dollars really would love kids and poor black people than why don't they use 90% of their money to help them? Mankind is just stupid!

And here is something to learn for you:

This song is actually art to me. Every time I hear it I get goose bumps, feel big emotions and sometimes I cry. Yes, no joke! I cry! This song is not popular, but high quality!
250000 views!

Now here you find the stupid remix of the same song. This is just shit to me! Bad, uneven sound, no feelings, absolute non sense! But popular!
185000000 views!

And here the source. Also very good and lovable but different from the first example. At least it creates feeling. But its quite unpopular. So I hope you know what I mean now.
Only a few thousand views!

I'm pretty sure they used Filther in the first example. Ah ... okay, I forgot, Filther wasn't born yet. Hmm, so sad ...
Old 03-08-2019, 07:02 AM   #391
sai'ke

Well, I know at least one criticism of Filther

I did not anticipate it getting so big and should've probably modularized it a bit more and split it out over different files with different concerns

I quite like version one and three and am also not a big fan of the trap version. But eh, I'm never so big on unusually pitched vocals and harshly squashed drums (even though I'm an occassional offender of this myself by accident). But I may just be getting old . I do like some MJ too from time to time, but agree that the sound quality on that video was really not the best.

I have one or two more filther features that I am working on, but which aren't ready for the primetime yet (and may never be!). I'm a bit afraid that if I add much more to the UI, I'm just going to scare everyone away the moment they open it
Old 03-08-2019, 07:17 AM   #392
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
I would not dare to criticize it!

heh-interesting...but being constructively critcal is'nt so bad eh--- just wondered if another mastermind could notice any specific areas of optimizations,that may be overlooked here..?
i think it's awesome,but being a light flyweight coder..i can't see anything=blind.

Quote:
He was popular, yes! He could have made a dump on stage and those fans would have loved it..

lolz- probably true-- but he had genius in the family gene pool (and fully backed by an army of global marketting teams)
he was a star in his own right-but tainted by the media and parasites that surrounded him..possibly 1 of the highest selling artists..of all time?..right>?
jackson early stuff is more..soulfull imo.."it's great to be here" >as an eg.

about them 3 videos-- i would ditch the 1st 2-and keep the last 1 -(even being into electronic music- that original track hits a lot harder+more soul/heart to it..imo.
might sound dope-remixed+filthered 1 more time= rinse/repeat.. heh.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #393
sai'ke

Are there any things that are really missing?

What I'm currently working on is some basic pitch tracking thing, for the people who can't use KEY because they're using audio sources rather than MIDI. It's still a bit too jumpy, so I'm not sure if it's going to make it, but I do quite like it in some cases.

I have been thinking about a second LFO but I'm out of sliders. It might be possible to use extended data for this. It would then not be automate-able from the arranger though. It would also make the UI even bigger. The LFO would also still have to be specified as a fraction of the "modulation" level.

Another option would be to add a more advanced envelope or some sort of modulation step sequencer, although I really feel that the last is probably much better handled by automation on the arranger level or using a plugin that modulates Filther's parameters. I'm also a bit afraid of adding more complex stuff like this because with additional features, comes additional maintenance and additional potential for bugs.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #394
Eliseat

I know Filther pretty well and get whatever I want out of it. But this is exactly what I thought when we were at about version 1.5

Anything you have added til now was great and gets used by me with pleasure. Take the last spin filter for example. I never ever worked with something like that, it allows so amazingly pressure on the side channels that I just made 10 new presets out of it today. I mean, where the heck did you get that idea from? And the same with ... - I asked for a OctaveUp filter, and you created something that glues and presses waves in a way i never heard before.

So from my point of view I look pretty curious in the future because I got not disappointed by any addition til now. The opposite is the case. You, Sai'ke surprised me several time with just some tiny things. This is so fun!

Some ideas come to mind which show up while doing things with Filther:

-What would be great of course is a second LFO, maybe a spartan, kind of fixed LFO which doesn't need sliders or shares some of the available? (By the way: I think those big names aren't really necessary because I always want to click only on those icons. )

-Also some other envelope slopes could do wonders: not only down biased but also linear, and up biased.

-Some kind of separation between cutoff and resonance so that one filter can use LFO and DYN but separately on reso and cutoff.

But how could this be done? Hm, the same I thought about the routing thing and then you just put it in a separate box. Yes, our beloved Sai'ke is a really smart guy.

Pitch tracking sounds very cpu heavy to my ears. And complicated. But as I mentioned already: I will take it all!

@bri Yes, those funky/disco songs from Micheal were the best also in my opinion. So much groove and happiness.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #395
ReaMike

Quote:

Another option would be to add a more advanced envelope or some sort of modulation step sequencer, although I really feel that the last is probably much better handled by automation on the arranger level or using a plugin that modulates Filther's parameters. I'm also a bit afraid of adding more complex stuff like this because with additional features, comes additional maintenance and additional potential for bugs.
A loopable MSEG would be nice. Certainly a better use of GUI space than some of the eye candy metering that made its way in.

But yes, the potential for bugs is a problem.
ReaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:41 PM   #396
Bri1
Banned

@sai'ke- it may seem quite radical to suggest a complete ui rethink-- lesson the total height of plug by certain rearrangments of elements...filters maybe side by side + smaller eye candies for eg.. as it's your thing,all calls are yours--you made this microuniverse-so you know best how to manage it..!
the visual elements need not be so big--maybe even call upon another mastermind such as *crimsonmerry* is it the user's name?

question sai'ke == "how do you define a filter,or eq as being different?"
^is there a truer explaination of the differences you find in modern practices/code?
1luv.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #397
foxAsteria

Bri1 - There's not going to be any better UI for this. Sai'ke says JSFX UI is too much hassle, even for alphabetizing the filters too complicated. Already asked.

I also brought up rearranging the elements already twice in this thread with logical suggestions, but no one had anything to say about it.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 03-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
foxAsteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:26 PM   #398
todd_r

Filther reminds me a bit of g'mic
todd_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #399
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
There's not going to be any better UI for this..

lolz--is that not best comming from the organ grinder?> and not the monkey!
you doubt peoples abilities? i do not.
sometimes all that's needed is a little extra..help...so those that can help-either do,or do not--keep it simplez..imagine if cockos got totally involved..oohh but what could they even do.... with this??
it's like telling an artist,how to paint=not such a great idea imo--let them create while others__debate on what's great m8.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:22 PM   #400
foxAsteria

@Bri1 - I'm just repeating what Sai'ke already said, fellow monkey.