Old 08-04-2018, 01:44 AM   #1
Bazzbass
Human being with feelings

Default Should I run Reaper from my portable SSD?

My i5 laptop has a hdd and I record onto an external ssd. Should I run Reaper from this SSD too? It's USB3.
I think the HDD would be 5400rpm and I get occasional glitches.
Running Win 10 32B

cpu usage is always less than 3% so I don't think it's memory related

Maybe I've answered my own question hehe

cheers knowledgable Reaperers
Old 08-04-2018, 02:49 AM   #2
vitalker

Yeah, it is better for the performance. Run from SSD.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post
My i5 laptop has a hdd and I record onto an external ssd. Should I run Reaper from this SSD too? It's USB3.
I think the HDD would be 5400rpm and I get occasional glitches.
Running Win 10 32B
Yeah, a hard drive should run at 7200rpm for audio. Try the SSD for everything, if it works great.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:09 PM   #4
Bazzbass

thank you both

so how do I do this, is it as simple as downloading Reaper onto my SSD, putting in the license key, copy all the fx over and away I go?
Old 08-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazzbass View Post

so how do I do this, is it as simple as downloading Reaper onto my SSD, putting in the license key, copy all the fx over and away I go?
I think so.
Old 08-05-2018, 01:52 AM   #6
Bazzbass

reading instructions on how to migrate to an SSD external drive.

Before you can install REAPER on a flash drive, it makes sense to first install it on your hard drive. When you then install REAPER to an external device in this way, all your settings, preferences etc. are also migrated.

OK it's on my hard drive already, then it says to :

Windows 1. Insert your external device into an available USB port on your PC. Note its drive letter (e.g. E:, F:. G:, H:. I:. etc.). This will depend how many internal hard drives, disk partitions, external hard drives, DVD burners, etc. you have already installed. 2. Double click on the REAPER install file to start the install process. 3. Click on I Agree to accept the license agreement. The Choose Install Location window will be displayed. 4. Enable the option for Portable install. 5. Click on Browse. Select your flash drive and click on Make New Folder. Name the folder (e.g. REAPER) and press Enter. 6. On returning to the screen shown here, work your way thru the installation process in the normal way. 7. Wait while the various files are installed. There are a lot of files and this might take quite a few minutes.

step 2, double click on the Reaper install file, how will this retain my preferences? Does selecting 'portable instal' copy my existing preferences from my C drive?

Sorry for being a dumbo regarding this

OK, I think I just export my configurations then import them into my portable install , yeah?

Last edited by Bazzbass; 08-05-2018 at 02:32 AM.
Bazzbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 02:48 AM   #7
vitalker

Just install fresh portable version on SSD and copy all the files from your original folder. That's it.
Well, some files you may not touch like reaper.exe, other .exe files.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:50 AM   #8
Stella645

If your audio is already running from the SSD I'm not convinced that moving the Reaper install to the SSD will make any difference.

I'm not actually sure about the portable install and prefs transfer but note that just creating the portable install is not removing the original install so if it doesn't you can just export /import your configuration afterwards.

But imo your problem is more likely to be something to do with your Windows/hardware config. Have you done any recommended Windows tweaks for audio?

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/glitchfree/
Stella645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
Just install fresh portable version on SSD and copy all the files from your original folder. That's it.
Well, some files you may not touch like reaper.exe, other .exe files.
Yeah, use a portable install, that way everything is all in one folder. First create a Reaper folder on your SSD, then just
check mark the "Portable install" box on the install app and direct it to that new folder on your SSD.

To keep all your settings:

1> Open a project file from your old original Reaper install.

2> Open "Preferences" and select "General/Export configuration".

3> Select all the choices you have, then proceed to save the config to the Configuration folder in Reapers original folder.

4> While you've got the original project open, first open the new folder on the SSD drive and keep it handy. Then in the original
project, go to "Options/Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder" and find the "Configuration" folder.

5> Check the new installation on the SSD to see if there is a Configuration folder. Since it's a new install, it may not have one
so in that case, just copy the whole "Configurations" folder from your original install to the new install folder. If it does
already have the configurations folder, then open both the old and new config folders and copy the config file you made during
your export to the new folder.

6> While you've got the original folder open, locate your license and copy it to your new folder. I think it's called
"reaper-license.rk", but I'm not totally sure, you'll have to check.

Good luck.
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Bazzbass

thanks all.

Tod, thanks, you put my mind at ease, cheers

Stella, I've done all the tweaks I can discover, so thanks for that link I will see if I missed something. I did see another tweak on here yesterday to compensate for the slow hdd, I hope
I love this forum, so many friendly, helpfull people

EDIT Just downloaded GlitchFree, heaps of info and tips, thanks so much Stella