Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-03-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
Rangler
Human being with feelings

Default What's your other DAW and why?

I'm looking for something to help with song ideas and beats.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:06 AM   #2
siehorst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangler View Post
... help with song ideas and beats.
How is that related to
Quote:
What's your other DAW ...
?
- Tracktion: because I started long time ago with and still have some projects with it.
- Live: because I got it cheap and more for clip based music.
But as true DAW: only reaper!
horst
siehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
AndreiT

FL Studio - for the Piano Roll , loop based creation and more. I use Reaper for mixing and sometimes production.
FL Studio is my main creativity environment and I've been using it since 2005.
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #4
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by siehorst View Post
How is that related to
?
- Tracktion: because I started long time ago with and still have some projects with it.
- Live: because I got it cheap and more for clip based music.
But as true DAW: only reaper!
horst
I hear Ableton Live is great for playing with compositional ideas and seems to be what electronic artists are drawn to. And FL remains a favorite in the hip-hop community, but I'm on a Mac.

I haven't tried either one.

I have to try PlayTime for Reaper. I hear that's a good Ableton alternative.

Last edited by Rangler; 08-04-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:59 AM   #5
trevlyns

My first DAW Mixcraft (now 8 Pro) has tons of loops and 'song kits' in its library and a host of decent instruments as well - I use them a lot in Reaper.

Recently got Harrison Mixbus which I'm getting into and will probably use exclusively for mixing and mastering.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #6
msundh

With practically no experience of other DAW's:
1) Creativity means minimal wait to get started.I can't imagine any other DAW starts up faster.
2) Drum beats. Going from drum sample player to a DRUM VST (AD) was a big step up in this aspect.
3) loops: there must be ton's of them out there, free or paid.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Rmn

I don't think using another DAW, even the most complicated VST helps with ideas and beats.

Practice a real life instrument, listen to genres you'r not familiar with (Gqom for example), study the history of the genres you'r familiar with, biographies of artists you like...

I found that having a vision for your art helps with having consistency in creativity. You can do that by collecting references (musics, pictures, movies, books...) and merge all of that.

Feelings, feelings, feelings... it's an inner journey.

Last edited by Rmn; 08-04-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Rmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #8
michael diemer

Sonar, because I started with it. I transfer and revise my projects, which are mostly full orchestra, from sonar to reaper. I find they sound better in Reaper, for whatever reason. but I master (if I may use that word, considering my general mixing and mastering skills are not that great) in sonar, because of two plugins they have there that I can't get to work in Reaper. My work flow in Reaper is as fast as it was in Sonar, if not faster.
michael diemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

I still have my 17 year old Mac G4 Protools system but it doesn't get much use these days. REAPER all the way here and has been that way for around a decade.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 PM   #10
martifingers

Old version of REASON (before it could handle audio so not a true DAW?)
Range and quality of instruments (although some seem to disagree?) and its unique patching system that invites experimentation.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #11
grayter1

Logic for composing, and Pro Tools for Post work.

Although, if I could get away with it at my day job (PBS affiliate), I'd switch to Reaper for Post work. I've recently recreated my PT Post template in Reaper and have begun re-sweetening an old show to get a feel for it.

I've pretty much dropped Logic for songwriting, and do almost everything in Reaper. However, in a moment of weakness, I bought Reason 9.5. It's nice, and it may grow on me.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon

Last edited by grayter1; 08-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:31 PM   #12
XITE-1/4LIVE

Love Reaper because of workflow customized menus mouse, etc.
Perfect really.

But got use to Cubase SX MIDI haven't upgraded thanks to Reaper.
But retiardando draws and just simplicity and views make it a snap.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #13
Susan G

Hi-

FL Studio. It's really easy to jot down ideas & quickly create rough arrangements. I've been using it since the olden days when it was known as Fruity Loops. It's come a very long way since then.

BTW, I don't use loops or samples or any of the included instruments or FX, but I still find it to be a very useful compositional tool.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:12 PM   #14
citizenkeith

Logic. I've been hired a couple times to mix projects done in Logic. I quickly found it was much easier to just do it there, especially if they used built-in soft-synths and effects. If they like where the mix is going, I'll just take it from there.
citizenkeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #15
Rangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Hi-

FL Studio. It's really easy to jot down ideas & quickly create rough arrangements. I've been using it since the olden days when it was known as Fruity Loops. It's come a very long way since then.

BTW, I don't use loops or samples or any of the included instruments or FX, but I still find it to be a very useful compositional tool.

-Susan
How is it easy to jot down ideas and create rough mixes? I'm really curious since I own a Mac and can't try it out.
Old 08-04-2017, 05:52 PM   #16
Susan G

Quote:
How is it easy to jot down ideas and create rough mixes? I'm really curious since I own a Mac and can't try it out.
Hi Rangler-

See if this helps: https://djmag.com/tech/fl-studio-coming-mac-osx

If you haven't seen the FL Studio workflow, it's a little hard to explain, but it's very easy to create short or long patterns and move them around and rearrange them to try out different arrangements.

If you're really interested, there are plenty of FL Studio videos on YouTube.

-Susan
Susan G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 PM   #17
Aeolian

Good old Cubarse.

If it can't be Reaper, for whatever reason, then its gonna be cubase, which I never seem to tire of.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #18
Maxwell999

Sometimes I use Cubase AI 9. I like how it looks and how it feels, and some tasks are simpler to do than in Reaper.
Maxwell999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #19
SuperKons

Cubase Pro 9, no specific reason
SuperKons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:53 AM   #20
kero

Logic 10. 3. 2
For the ease of navigation, composing and forum help.
kero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:10 PM   #21
RonBoy

My other DAWs are Sonar Professional 2016(not the current version) and Cubase Pro 8.5. Been using both a long time since Sonar 6, Cubase SX 1! Sonar is easy to use and it has lots of nice features, love audiosnap, the new skylight interface, but it is buggy, doesn't recognize my 32bit plugin VSTs unless I run it in Adminstrative mode! Love the loop construction feature and it's groove looping! Cubase remains to be the most solid DAW interms of reliability! More sounds and drums come with it, hey it can handle all my VSTs 32bit and 64bit running 64bit. Love the temple mapping calculation feature. Lots of effects with a great mixer! Both DAWs let you import/export midi and audio very easily to use in other DAWs. Both have great midi editing but with Cubase I hate carrying around that key dongle when I use my laptop. You should see the Cakewalk forum, it's full of complaints and problems, not going to name the ones I've found. I liked Sonar better when Roland owned them, now Gibson owns them, I not so sure about the future of Sonar, too many cooks in the kitchen I guess. I still have love for it, though. Cubase is getting more complicated but that's ok because it has never crashed on me!
RonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:45 PM   #22
crimsonmerry

ProTools. For opening PT session, re-remembering shortcuts and answering many client's question with a yes.
crimsonmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:05 PM   #23
ChristopherT

ProTools HD, because 99% of every album that I mix has been done on this format.
Every main large tracking facility uses Protools.
All of my investments in mix plugins over decades are on this format too....
So - I'm stuck with it

But I compose on Reaper
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:55 PM   #24
GotMetalBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoy View Post
My other DAWs are Sonar Professional 2016(not the current version) and Cubase Pro 8.5. Been using both a long time since Sonar 6, Cubase SX 1! Sonar is easy to use and it has lots of nice features, love audiosnap, the new skylight interface, but it is buggy, doesn't recognize my 32bit plugin VSTs unless I run it in Adminstrative mode! Love the loop construction feature and it's groove looping! Cubase remains to be the most solid DAW interms of reliability! More sounds and drums come with it, hey it can handle all my VSTs 32bit and 64bit running 64bit. Love the temple mapping calculation feature. Lots of effects with a great mixer! Both DAWs let you import/export midi and audio very easily to use in other DAWs. Both have great midi editing but with Cubase I hate carrying around that key dongle when I use my laptop. You should see the Cakewalk forum, it's full of complaints and problems, not going to name the ones I've found. I liked Sonar better when Roland owned them, now Gibson owns them, I not so sure about the future of Sonar, too many cooks in the kitchen I guess. I still have love for it, though. Cubase is getting more complicated but that's ok because it has never crashed on me!
This is my first post on here. I agree about Cakewalk and that's the reason I'm switching to Reaper.

I had been using Cakewalk since Cakewalk Pro Audio 6 which was around 1997 and bought every upgrade except SONAR 7 because of MIDI bugs that hadn't been fixed since SONAR 5 but were finally fixed in SONAR 8. I also bought the SONAR Platinum Lifetime Updates but it seems like every update introduces more bugs than updates. They also haven't had Tech Support in over a year even though they advertise that they do but I haven't been contacted for the past few tickets I've submitted. AudioSnap keeps crashing on me on multiple PC's, so they recommended I pay $399 for the upgrade to get Melodyne Editor. Sorry, I'm not paying that much $ for a feature that's supposed to work.

I'm really liking Reaper so far and the YouTube videos by Kenny Gioia REAPER Mania are so helpful. I feel that Reaper is so easy to use that I get confused because I'm so used to having to do so much more in SONAR to accomplish the same tasks. You also can't beat the price.

I hadn't used Reaper in over a year but version 5.40 seems to have a lot more options than I remember. Now I just need to figure out how to port my SONAR projects into Reaper.
REAPER; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 1st Gen; Line 6 Helix Floor; Axe-Fx II XL+; FAMC LF+ PRO+, 12+; Yamaha DXR12, DXR10; ADAM Audio T7V; Drawmer MC2.1; Samson C-Control; Roland TD-20 V-Drums; Cakewalk BBL; Toontrack SD3; XLN Audio AD2; Melodyne Editor 5
GotMetalBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
vanhaze

Logic Pro X.
Cause yeah, i just love Apple.
It's looking amazingly sharp on my macbook retina.
It has great FX plugins and instrument plugins.
It runs very stable for me and has great cpu performance for me.
It has a great big arsenal of functionality, both midi and audio area for speedy workflow.
Slate Batch Commander application works great with Logic, increasing speedy workflow in Logic even more with "custom actions"
Logic Remote on Ipad is just great.
I get Logic sessions sent from clients i work with.

But Reaper still is number one for me, cause it evolves way more than Logic imho and is even more cpu friendly and way more customisable, plus i like the Reaper community over here way more than the Logic community.
And the fact that there is ReaPack for Reaper is just utterly amazing.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #26
jerome_oneil

Reason when I need MIDI, because it's a pretty good sequencer and a lot more intuitive than Reaper.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:04 PM   #27

400 years ago, I started on cool edit pro, which turned into Adobe audition. That's still my main daw for recording and arranging, I do the heavy lifting in reaper now but the more I use it, the more its becoming my go to daw. But yeah, Adobe audition 3. I'm just used to the workflow. Beside that, FL Studio is frigging awesome for making beats and programming drums. There are things in FL that no other daw has, not without plugins anyway. I love how u can pretty much do anything in reaper and alot of stuff is done automatically. But it can get a little overwhelming for someone diving right in. I'm getting the hang of it but I always thought that there should be a sort of beginners layout already included. With just the main features set up
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #28
vassaux

I started on the first version of Sonar, used it through X3, when I got tired of $200 upgrades. There were a few things I really liked, but for me, a hobbyist, Reaper is a better cost/performance package.

T
My only beef right now is using Kontact with Abbey Road Modern Drummer. We tend to work on one song at a time, so by the time I'm ready to do drums on a new song, I've forgotten which hoops to jump through to get the damn thing working again. XD
vassaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:50 PM   #29
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Reason when I need MIDI, because it's a pretty good sequencer and a lot more intuitive than Reaper.
Have you seen my midi tips/tricks for Reaper on youtube ?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxO...cYppqFeCveMSXf
Old 08-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #30
levets

Cubase - because I can audition sounds from external synths right from the track's control panel (or the inspector). Features not available in Reaper.

Right now, Reaper's primary use for me is for plug ins like the MIDI Monitor or Level Meters.

I've gone back to using Cubase for sequencing work.

At work we have Logic as well, and it's OK, but just feels like "Garageband+" and is a little too gimmicky for me - plus external synth support sucks.

For ideas, we've got 100 macs about with Garageband on all of them, and that's just as easy to use to capture an idea - which I'd then flesh out in Cubase.

I still prefer PT for audio work. It works.
levets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:07 AM   #31
songsj

Sony Vegas Pro, Pro studio recorded in used it and I liked the work flow, I got used to it and now Reaper is a lot like Vegas pro. I still have it and will use it to set up CD projects etc. That is where I send my final 2 tracks from Reaper to do whatever.
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #32
michael diemer

Just had unfortunate experience with sonar demo. After uninstalling it, along with Command Center, my system got bricked. I'm to the point of restoring via system image, nothing else has worked. If that fails, I'll have to reinstall Windows. So, at this point, I have no other DAW. Total monogamy from here on.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:49 AM   #33
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Have you seen my midi tips/tricks for Reaper on youtube ?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTxO...cYppqFeCveMSXf
Yeah. Reason is still way more intuitive.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #34
Doc Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Hi-

-Susan

I tried a demo of FL studio once and was thoroughly lost. Opening the midi editor? Where was the normal track view. I concluded it's designed for beat makers and not vsti and instrument composers. I'm probably way off the mark but I didn't spend much time with it.
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:32 PM   #35
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Yeah. Reason is still way more intuitive.
Define "intuitive"
Explain plz what you mean by that word.

For me it's just something subjective.
What is "intuitive for you, can be counter-intuitive for the other.

Speaking In terms of arsenal of midi functionality in a DAW Midi Editor, a fact is that, now with ReaPack available for Reaper, containing 100's and 100's of scripts that make midi editing / composing in MIDI Editor even much faster/easier, Reaper for me is becoming one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) DAW in this area.

Warm Regards.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM   #36
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Define "intuitive"
Explain plz what you mean by that word.

For me it's just something subjective.
What is "intuitive for you, can be counter-intuitive for the other.
No shit it's subjective, genius. That's what we're talking about here.

It's more intuitive in that I get an actual sequencer to work with. It's more intuitive in it's ability to patch and route. It's more intuitive in that the instrument browser is easily available and works, and I can audition anything I like any time I like. It is more intuitive in that it picks up and configures new control surfaces without any intervention.

Do you have any other stupid questions?

Quote:
Speaking In terms of arsenal of midi functionality in a DAW Midi Editor, a fact is that, now with ReaPack available for Reaper, containing 100's and 100's of scripts that make midi editing / composing in MIDI Editor even much faster/easier, Reaper for me is becoming one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) DAW in this area.
Gee, that sounds pretty subjective. What do you mean by "easier?" How is that a "fact?" And why do I have to install an entire farking separate package in order to make it that way? That sounds pretty non-intuitive to me.

Quote:
Warm Regards.
EABODADIAF
Old 08-17-2017, 12:54 PM   #37
peter5992

Quote:
I'm looking for something to help with song ideas and beats.
Pro Tools 10 and 11, for compatibility reasons and when I'm collaborating with other people.

If you are looking for help with song ideas and beats, Reaper has everything you need ... you're probably better off practicing your guitar playing or piano playing, look at youtube videos, etc.; a lot of people tend to get lost in technicalities and mastering DAW program, and don't get to actually making music.
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #38
jinotsuh

REAPER is my 'other DAW' nowdays, my main DAW is Studio One 3 Pro, for me it's the best I've tried, it's just easy and fast to get things done, rock solid, does everything I need, I enjoy being in its environment, and love the features. I use REAPER every now and then just to keep in touch. I also have Mixbus 3 and 4, never touch them, also SONAR Platinum (Lifetime updates)never use it, just keep an eye on what's going on, but feel it's just going down the tubes slowly but surely.

Last edited by jinotsuh; 08-17-2017 at 06:15 PM.
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:22 AM   #39
michael diemer

Update on my sonar demo disaster: After several system restores and various other attempts to fix system, I tried restoring via system image. no go there either. At last I realized I had to reinstall Windows as it just would not start anymore. Even that required extensive research, as I kept getting message that Windows can't install on this or that partition. Finally I had to delete all partitions and reformat. finally got Windows reinstalled. In process now of updating and installing drivers, programs etc. All because I demoed Sonar. Or more correctly, I uninstalled Sonar demo. Never again. Beware! If you demo Sonar, do not do it on your music computer!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
I tried a demo of FL studio once and was thoroughly lost. Opening the midi editor? Where was the normal track view. I concluded it's designed for beat makers and not vsti and instrument composers. I'm probably way off the mark but I didn't spend much time with it.
Yeah, for me it's useful for when I want to construct a beat from samples. There's a few goodies that other daws don't have like a really cool random beat slice option which is useful on fills. But I'm sure similar things can be accomplished thru plugins
4140 is offline   Reply With Quote