Old 02-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #1
Seymoursax
Human being with feelings

Default It was suggested I get REASON

Hello Everybody, It was suggested I get REASON to help with my music production because of the many sound loops and because Iam a one man operation. Any suggestions where I could get say version 8 at a good price. Thank you..PS I was also told to be careful buying on line because of licencing issues.
Seymoursax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #2
Softsynth

If loops are really your thing you can use both Reaper and Reason together:

If you want an old version keep your eye out on eBay or maybe private users on KVR. Caveat emptor.
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Cableaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymoursax View Post
Any suggestions where I could get say version 8 at a good price. Thank you..PS I was also told to be careful buying on line because of licencing issues.

If you're worried about licensing issues, then you shouldn't be hunting for a good price.
All authorized dealers will be selling it for basically the same amount.

FWIW, reason is great for all sorts of composition, not just loop-based. It definitely makes a GREAT adjunct to Reaper, though you'll likely end up needing to purchase a lot of third-party refill libraries.
Cableaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #4
viscofisy

You can get Reason Essentials 10 for $69.
Apparently the price will be subtracted from the price of the full Reason 10 should you decide to upgrade.

I'm just investigating it myself - so don't take anything I say for certain!

Have a look at Propellerheads specs page, and email them if necessary to make sure exactly what you're getting (and what you're not getting) before considering Essentials 10.

Reason Essentials 10 :
https://shop.propellerheads.se/produ...essentials-10/

Reason 10 vs Essentials :
https://www.propellerheads.se/suppor...essentials-10/

I don't have Reason and never tried it, but it looks a lot more interesting than it did a few years ago when I last looked at it.

Apparently you can use VSTs and VSTis in Essentials 10, and also create REX files.

Obviously a lot of the goodies are stripped out from the full Reason 10, but you do get a few things, one of them being a half decent sampler - NXXT. It's not Kontakt, but it looks capable enough if a bit dated.

And of course you can Rewire it all to Reaper.

apparently

Might be worth a look.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 04:07 PM   #5
BenK-msx

I went for reason 10 recently, had used it up to v5 for long time -

For creative stuff is great it's not simply a 'loop' tool even tho you can cheat and load up Rex's and think yourself creative.

V flexible so doesn't have as much as a 'fingerprint' as other creative apps, Can configure how you like.

Now has vst support, audio recording, I am looking into but far more used to reaper for that. Rewire between the two works pretty well.

The sounds and instruments you get have good sound, refills I've had for years work and lots about.

Put it this way - I'd even recommend it to visco.
Old 02-02-2018, 04:22 PM   #6
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenK-msx View Post

Put it this way - I'd even recommend it to visco.
Thanks Ben - being a seasoned acoustic musician™ it would be an added extra for me rather than a necessity, though I can understand your enthusiasm.

_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
BenK-msx

the 'real' instrument sounds have come in handy many times - can totally ignore the synthetic stuff if you like. sure your kontakt and the like cover that a bit more these days -
but think acoustic loops, percussion to accompany some real guitar - odd keyboard sounds, it was my goto for strings for ages. there are more real life instruments added in v10 - plucked n stuff.

i went from 100% electronic creatively in 91-01' to now predominantly acoustic -
- albeit years behind the curve - with tech thrown in.

next bit of work am about to start will be one part just acoustic tunes, other part mixture. - one reason i got uh.. reason.

idea is will be a lure to new little studio - will see if they will come... if they don't i'll have a nice hobby again - inbetween arguing trump on the internet.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #8
Bri1
Banned

Reason+reaper for lyfe! mo funkerz.
For your bucks 1 gets a few bangs--cost of reaper studio license,over cost of reason license ---hmmm--- i think these 2 programmes <<combined>> make a more complete audio circuit.
Always quite liked nnxt (but not for it's lack of automating! >cough ph!<) and ability for combinator patches--a playground for sound design and audio manipulations of many kinds.Thor is a great tool in itself. =)
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #9
Seymoursax

Default I really appreciate your replies

[QUOTE=Seymoursax;1949039]Hello Everybody, It was suggested I get REASON to help with my music production..
I really appreciate your replies..I would love to do the rewire with REAPER part Thanks again. God bless you.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #10
Doc Brown

$400.00 and it's just getting vst and audio recording support? :confused🤔
Doc Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
BenK-msx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
$400.00 and it's just getting vst and audio recording support? :confused��
that was never really its USP to be fair - rewired to reaper gave us all that - but they incorporated it so folk can use it soley if they fancy - however i am so used to the non-audio versions, i have barely tried those features out - am too reaper

my view was as reaper gives you no instruments or musical/'creative' tools, reason fills that gap pretty well in a flexible way.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
Seymoursax

Thank you all for your responses. Iva abandoned going after REASON too pricey) and will try getting some good sounding loops library Tnxs again
Old 02-05-2018, 06:58 PM   #13
peter5992

Welcome to the band.

If you're into loops, fyi, just got this in the mail. You might want to check it out. I don't use loops so I have no opinion on it.

https://sounds.com/?utm_medium=socia...fd8f3df27f72b6
peter5992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #14
jlgrimes11

Quote:
Hello Everybody, It was suggested I get REASON to help with my music production because of the many sound loops and because Iam a one man operation. Any suggestions where I could get say version 8 at a good price. Thank you..PS I was also told to be careful buying on line because of licencing issues.
I would also consider Ableton Live.

It is also great for loop based production. They are both geared for EDM/loop based genres and their approach is very different to Reaper yet very different from each other.

IMO, if you are getting Reason, I would just try to get the new version 10 over an old version 8. It has more sounds/synths/features/VST capability. I would be they might throw in a free RE as well or so.

At minimum at least get version 9 as versions under 9 don't support VSTs.

I think licensing issue would be true no matter where you bought it.
jlgrimes11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #15
rcl

Quote:
Thank you all for your responses. Iva abandoned going after REASON too pricey) and will try getting some good sounding loops library Tnxs again
Look into Mulab by Mutools. Can be rewired into reaper as well. Lots of loop midi possibilities.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:02 AM   #16
Soma Jones

Reason 10 Essentials for $69 is worth it simply for the Bass Guitar patch in the Subtractor synth alone. I absolutely love that sound and never tire of it. It doesn't sound exactly like a bass guitar, when I want that I just record a real one, but it sits so well in so many of my mixes.
Soma Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:27 AM   #17
Bri1
Banned

Quote:
Look into Mulab by Mutools. Can be rewired into reaper as well.
There is 1 kinda drawback using rewire apps into reaper---user basically looses input fx--which is 1 of the reasons'' i like to patch thru reaper---so rearoute is a better option i find >>also there is certain other parameters that can be accessed when plugins run standalone modes-(not vst instances)-emux3 is 1 of them plugs for sure.
Reason is not just for loop based compositions--it can be used for scores or anything really... the cv thing is kinda fun and very flexible----but even this is stuck to 128 values of midi data.
Reason also does not do midi channels on a track level--it just uses 1 channel per track as it appears---- you can only access other channels via the advanced midi input section there..
GLHF-whatever the choices.

*edit* how can 1 forget reason's trump card-- plugin sync all !! does vst do that?! nope.

Last edited by Bri1; 02-07-2018 at 11:36 AM. Reason: 1Xtra
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote