Old 04-13-2018, 10:02 AM   #1
Edgemeal
Human being with feelings

Default v5.79pre14a - April 13 2018

v5.79pre14a - April 13 2018
# MIDI editor: never adjust zoom/scroll when changing tracks via track list selection mirroring

Full changelog - Latest pre-releases

v5.79pre14 - April 13 2018
+ Envelopes: do not clamp written volume envelope automation to visible envelope maximum
+ MIDI editor: improved behavior when opening multiple items at once

Previous additions in this release
+ API: export LICE_DrawCBezier, LICE_FillCBezier
+ API: Get*EnvelopeByName() searches english names before any localized names
+ ASIO: permit buffer sizes that are not a power of 2 if the device does not very specifically request otherwise [t=200746]
+ Audio Units: Reset/re-initialize plugins only from main thread
+ Elastique: improve timing of timestretch ramps [t=204269]
+ Fade editor: fixed an obscure possible bug
+ Free item positioning: order items by timeline position if they were split from the same original recording
+ FX learn: fix controller mapping defaults when FX name contains brackets [t=205458]
+ Glue: round start/end times to project samplerate [t=205043]
+ Keyboard: passthrough spacebar in actions, automation items, project bay, metronome, dynamic split, media item properties, MIDI note properties, MIDI humanize/quantize, scale finder, and routing/grouping matrix windows.
+ Live FX Multiprocessing: improve performance with folder tracks that have PDC [t=169675]
+ Live FX Multiprocessing: process receives similar to folders
+ Localization: improve routing window organization [p=1974922]
+ Localization: improve various localized string formats [p=1974919]
+ Localization: various fixes [p=1974917]
+ Localization: various localization corners rounded [p=1963506]
+ MIDI editor: better behavior when moving edit cursor
+ MIDI editor: better resize/zoom/scroll behavior on item selection changes
+ MIDI editor: double/halve note length action updates pre-quantized state
+ MIDI editor: ensure edit cursor visible when opening a new editor
+ MIDI editor: fix possible crash when closing project tab [t=204933]
+ MIDI editor: fix potential hang when text/sysex message list is out of order due to ill-behaved ReaScript [t=205010]
+ MIDI editor: improve multi-context grid quantization behavior [t=137514]
+ MIDI editor: improve track list activation behavior [t=204728]
+ MIDI editor: in source beats piano roll view, show edit cursor position relative to source
+ MIDI editor: preserve zoom level when switching contexts, do not auto-zoom in [p=1977060]
+ MIDI editor: various fixes to visibility/editability linking, same-track option
+ MIDI editor: when in one editor-per-project/track modes, always show full ruler [p=1977060]
+ MIDI paste: fix adjacent note deleted on paste bug [t=200489]
+ MIDI: never sort events based on anything but time position [t=205082]
+ MIDI: prevent event sorting from sometimes destroying notes [t=205082]
+ Misc: fixed a few minor memory leaks
+ Multiprocessing: allow autodetection of up to 32 cores/threads
+ MusicXML: fix importing voiced notes [t=204454]
+ Notation editor: avoid extending looped items in certain instances
+ Notation: fix autoscroll issue when opening with out of range zoom levels [p=1976104]
+ Notation: if auto-zoomed-in when switching to notation, ensure edit cursor visible
+ Notation: improve accidental positions on displaced notes and clusters [p=1971522]
+ Performance meter: optionally show xrun counters
+ Performance: reduce underruns when repositioning the edit cursor soon after stop
+ ReaScript: prevent buffer overflow if very long strings entered in Python path/libname in preferences
+ ReaSurround: add edit modes to move selected inputs directly towards or away from a specific speaker
+ ReaSurround: add per-input channel controls to reverse (mirror) edits [p=1968511]
+ ReaSurround: add relative speaker influence mode
+ ReaSurround: change default 9.1 channel order to match SMPTE (existing projects are not affected)
+ ReaSurround: hold down control key to override reverse/mirror edits when moving inputs with the mouse
+ ReaSurround: hold shift key for faster edit, control key for slower edit
+ ReaSurround: in relative mode, prevent bleed into speakers at opposite edges of the space
+ ReaSurround: initialize arrangements with speakers closer to the edge of the space
+ ReaSurround: restrict edits to the visible space
+ Rubberband: improve timing of timestretch ramps [t=204269]
+ Solo: improve receive behavior when folder track and child track soloed [t=205456]
+ Stretch markers: add new "transient-optimized" and "no pre-echo reduction" stretch marker modes
+ Stretch markers: add project setting for stretch marker mode
+ Video: add absolute difference and other YUV blend modes
+ Video: add Invert colors preset, add rotate to normal zoom/pan preset
+ VST: send plugin reset messages on the main thread whenever possible
+ VST: support wantsChannelCountNotifications canDo
+ VST3: add compatibility setting to flush buffers with hard vs soft reset [p=1946500]
+ VSTi: prevent hanging notes when resetting plug-ins on loop [p=1932726]
+ Windows: fix potential accessibility related crash [t=205483]

Last edited by Edgemeal; 04-13-2018 at 02:36 PM. Reason: + 14a
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
tusitala

Hi guys, I tried this latest Pre14.

Basically everything I reported here:
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=20
is still broken.

And I think now it got even seriously worse:

Hope this helps.

Thanks for your work!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #3
ovnis

Quote:
+ MIDI editor: improved behavior when opening multiple items at once
I don't know what is behind the "improved behaviour", but bugs/bad behaviour with selecting and editing midi notes inside multiple items at once are still here.
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:53 AM   #4
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
I believe something really wrong happened in the very latest pre13 as all the zoom improvements I saw in the previous ones have gone away...here's what I mean:

Pre13:
Pre11:
With regard to switching *tracks* via the Track List: When the tracks contain multiple items, neither the behavior of pre11, nor pre13 nor pre14 seems user-friendly to me. The MIDI editor seems to move haphazardly between items, sometimes to the first item on the track, sometimes to the nearest, sometimes keeping zoom level, sometimes not, and seldom keeping a stable position even if the new track has an item that overlaps the current viewport.

It should always be easy for the user to orient him/herself after switching items or tracks. The MIDI editor should therefore try to zoom/scroll/move to positions that are easily recognizable. Possible options are:
* Don't move at all, simply keep the exact position. (Snooks's preference, even if no item in the newly active track overlaps current viewport.)
* If the newly active track was edited before, move to last-edited item and position in the new track.
* If the track was never edited before, zoom-to-fit the entire track.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
* If the track was never edited before, zoom-to-fit the entire track.
This would be horrible in longer projects.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
This would be horrible in longer projects.
But less horrible than scrolling to some unexpected position in the middle of nowhere.

If the MIDI editor cannot make a smart guess about where the user wants to go, zooming out may be a usable option.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
EvilDragon

Just staying where current viewport is (no changes in zoom level or horizontal position) when switching to another track that wasn't till that point edited is another option that is probably more logical for longer projects.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 PM   #8
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovnis View Post
I don't know what is behind the "improved behaviour", but bugs/bad behaviour with selecting and editing midi notes inside multiple items at once are still here.
Can you provide an example?
fundorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 12:38 PM   #9
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
With regard to switching *tracks* via the Track List: When the tracks contain multiple items, neither the behavior of pre11, nor pre13 nor pre14 seems user-friendly to me. The MIDI editor seems to move haphazardly between items, sometimes to the first item on the track, sometimes to the nearest, sometimes keeping zoom level, sometimes not, and seldom keeping a stable position even if the new track has an item that overlaps the current viewport.
Ah yeah that was a bug -- changing selection by clicking a track in the track list was supposed to never adjust the zoom/scroll. Fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #10
ovnis

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundorin View Post
Can you provide an example?
https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...4&postcount=12
Old 04-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
juliansader

Quote:
In this example, you have "Selection is linked to visibility" and "Selection is linked to editability" checked. It therefore seems to me that everything is working as expected: When you select a new item in the arrange view, the other items get deselected, so they lose editability in the MIDI editor and you can't select their notes any more.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
D Rocks

Thank you Justin.
On a side note, please consider options because now it looks like a political debate between who prefers this or that. I think in this situation you might do something awesome for 50 percent of people and the other half will be disapointed in the new behaviors.

Im new to REAPER and have nothing to say to all you guys but to me it really looks like turning in circle unless we have different options to make users get the behavior they need.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
ovnis

Quote:
you can't select their notes any more.
I hate this beahviour. Please, provide an option to edit or select notes of any items at once (without to have to activate them).

Last edited by ovnis; 04-13-2018 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:48 PM   #14
Dimson

https://forum.cockos.com/showpost.ph...1&postcount=19
Problem remained
Dimson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #15
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimson View Post
Hmm that shouldn't happen in pre14
Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
Thank you Justin.
On a side note, please consider options because now it looks like a political debate between who prefers this or that. I think in this situation you might do something awesome for 50 percent of people and the other half will be disapointed in the new behaviors.

Im new to REAPER and have nothing to say to all you guys but to me it really looks like turning in circle unless we have different options to make users get the behavior they need.
There's a lot of iffy behavior that needs to be addressed before we add more options.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #17
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
In this example, you have "Selection is linked to visibility" and "Selection is linked to editability" checked. It therefore seems to me that everything is working as expected: When you select a new item in the arrange view, the other items get deselected, so they lose editability in the MIDI editor and you can't select their notes any more.
I think that these options are best left unchecked, and set the options to open all project MIDI, and enable the "make secondary items editable", and then you have a good setup. You can make the active item linked to selection, so that clicking an item in the arrange zooms to it, if you're so inclined.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 PM   #18
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
I hate this beahviour. Please, provide an option to edit or select notes of any items at once (without to have to activate them).
Simply uncheck this two. It's not a bug.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #19
juliansader

Quote:
Do you mean a) "any item in any track", or b) "any item in the currently active item's track"?

If (a), then the setup that Justin describes above will work well. All items will automatically be editable when you open the MIDI editor, and only the active item changes when you click on an item in the arrange view.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #20
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
Thank you Justin.

Reaper already suffers from a pretty horrible case of optionitis, for better or for worse, I am not sure if it's always a good idea to just add more and more options. At some point it's going to become really unwieldy (if we aren't already past that point)... So it's best to get the core behaviors of already existing options improved rather than introducing even more options.

I'm also kinda sensing that devs feel about the same, there's a certain reluctance in just adding new options, but there's a lot of tries to getting it right here, following discussions etc. It's all good.
Old 04-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
ovnis

Quote:
If (a), then the setup that Justin describes above will work well. All items will automatically be editable when you open the MIDI editor, and only the active item changes when you click on an item in the arrange view.
There is a bug with "Open all MIDI on the same track" !

The bug/bad behavior : when we open more than one item on the same track, we can't directly select all the midi note outside midi items already opened/actived.

"One midi editor par track", "Open all MIDI on the same track" and "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view" are activated.
All midi tracks editors are closed (very important).
Use track with more than 2 midi items.

1/ I open one midi item inside the midi editor. All is OK : I can select all midi notes.

2/ I open an another midi item inside the same track.
Bug ! I can't select all the notes outside the activated items !

Last edited by ovnis; 04-13-2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #22
Edgemeal

Default v5.79pre14a

Bump

v5.79pre14a - April 13 2018
# MIDI editor: never adjust zoom/scroll when changing tracks via track list selection mirroring
Edgemeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #23
nofish

Quote:
Do you mean a) "any item in any track", or b) "any item in the currently active item's track"?
How would I do b) ?
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #24
ovnis

Bug with automation item.

When we have more than 127 automation items after past/copy, Reaper crashs.

Project :
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/33347/bug.RPP
Old 04-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #25
fundorin
Banned

Once again, check your settings:
Old 04-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #26
ovnis

You have not reproduced the problem. I think than you haven't understand the issue.

The bug/bad behavior is :

When we open more than one item on the same track, we can't directly select all the midi note outside midi items already opened/actived.

With thoses options : "One midi editor par track", "Open all MIDI on the same track" and "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view" are activated.

Last edited by ovnis; 04-13-2018 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:05 PM   #27
FnA

Just getting into testing, but it seems like "make secondary items editable when opening from arrange" is a great leap forward for how I'd like to arrange a workflow.

Controlling unwanted editablity was/is on top of my list (I hope double clicking background notes to switch can be improved in similar way), but I will also appreciate a handy way to "open selected items as Editable" or similar. Maybe a toggle action or two, like these prefs, will be a way, eventually.

Some things I notice so far:

Avoid automatically setting MIDI items from other tracks editable:
--doesn't apply to current item being left behind. (Penultimate item?) (it may seem strange that I'm commenting on this. Just something I noticed)

make secondary items editable when opening from arrange:
--difference between double click and keyboard shortcut action to open MIDI editor. More definite with keyboard action.

close editor when deleting active media item...:
activates another item instead (this setting has not worked as advertised for a long time...)

clicking edit cursor handle:
--can unselect all items. hehe
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #28
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
You have not reproduced the problem. I think than you haven't understand the issue.
I did exactly what you told. Why do you think that this has anything to do with this pre-release version? What was the last version in which you didn't have this "bug"?

Quote:
The bug/bad behavior is :

When we open more than one item on the same track, we can't directly select all the midi note outside midi items already opened/actived.
As you can see, I did exactly the same. Opened one item and selected notes on other item from the same track too. Alt-A would also select all notes on all items.

Quote:
With thoses options : "One midi editor par track", "Open all MIDI on the same track" and "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view" are activated.
Also showed you my options. Here's a longer video of the same task: https://i.imgur.com/Rj3epoK.gif

P.S. Bonus - direct selection of the note: https://i.imgur.com/tBUWmmD.gifv

Or do you mean "without" opening the MIDI editor?
Old 04-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #29
ovnis

Quote:
I did exactly what you told. Why do you think that this has anything to do with this pre-release version?
I don't know exactly when, but before i haven't this issue.

Quote:
As you can see, I did exactly the same. Opened one item and selected notes on other item from the same track too.
You haven't follow the procedure indicated in my previous post. So you haven't reproduced the issue.

1/ I open one midi item inside the midi editor. All is OK : I can select all midi notes.

Quote:
Also showed you my options.
We have the same options from the beginning inside the configuration window.

Last edited by ovnis; 04-13-2018 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:31 PM   #30
fundorin
Banned

Quote:
I don't know exactly when, but before i haven't this issue.
So maybe it's offtopic here? Especially if it's only happens to your particular configuration?

Quote:
You haven't follow the procedure indicated in my previous post. So you haven't reproduced the issue.
Where I went wrong?
Quote:
Check.
Quote:
By double clicking the item in TCP? Check.

Quote:
Without closing the midi editor or closing it before opening another item? Anyways, I'll do both.
Exactly as you said. https://i.imgur.com/IjCxG0r.gifv

Quote:
It's a bug when it could be reproduced by others. Try installing portable version of Reaper and repeat your procedure.
Quote:

We have the same options from the beginning.
Nope. I've set mine, so it would mirror yours.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
ovnis

Quote:
So maybe it's offtopic here?
No. My issue is very recent. A few days.

Quote:
Especially if it's only happens to your particular configuration?
We will see this...

Quote:
Without closing the midi editor or closing it before opening another item? Anyways, I'll do both.
You have to reproduce the issue with than more 2 midi items if you want to reproduce the bug/bad behavior.

Quote:
Without closing the midi editor.

Quote:
we can't directly select all the midi note outside midi items already opened/actived.
In your exemple, all your midi items have been already opened.

Quote:
Nope. I've set mine, so it would mirror yours.
Except if yours actions to discover the issue are not the same than mines.

Last edited by ovnis; 04-13-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 PM   #32
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Bug with automation item.

When we have more than 127 automation items after past/copy, Reaper crashs.
Thanks, fixing!
Old 04-13-2018, 06:58 PM   #33
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
The bug/bad behavior : when we open more than one item on the same track, we can't directly select all the midi note outside midi items already opened/actived.

"One midi editor par track", "Open all MIDI on the same track" and "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view" are activated.
Use track with more than 2 midi items.

Thanks, fixing!
Old 04-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #34
ovnis

Strange...

With "One midi editor par track", "Open all MIDI on the same track" and "Make secondary items editable when opened from arrange view" activated,

All thoses options are grey/unaccessible but they are checked differently depending portable version or not.

I have try with the portable version and the bug selection with "Open all MIDI on the same track"/"One midi editor par track" is still here.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:08 PM   #35
ovnis

Quote:
Thanks, fixing!
Oh f*** !

Old 04-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #36
FnA

Kind of strange.

Setting lock icons in track list causes MIDI media items to be unselected in arrange when next undo-able action (mute track for example) is performed, when all menu entries in Options: when using one editor per project > submenu are NOT enabled. Two new options not enabled either. Open all selected items set.

Edit. Undo-able action not needed. Screen just needs to be updated.

Last edited by FnA; 04-13-2018 at 08:03 PM.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 03:13 AM   #37
ivansc

@ Justin: Thanks so much for taking the time to work on a little of the boring stuff in MIDI. Really appreciated.
MIDI is definitely getting much more usable, which is good as I have a huge project underway converting a bunch of old SMFs.