Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 11-21-2019, 01:09 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default Automation items: Copy/paste/duplicate actions buggy, vs mouse modifiers [NOT FIXED!]

As discussed in several other threads, some of the most crucial copy/paste/duplicate functions for automation items have only been implemented as left-drag mouse modifiers. The corresponding actions in the Actions list are either buggy or have not been implemented at all.

Mouse modifiers are perfectly suited for copying or moving AIs to nearby on-screen positions. For distant off-screen positions, however, actions are required. And, of course, mouse functions cannot be included in custom actions. AIs are therefore hobbled without properly working actions.

* COPY MULTIPLE AIs: Ctrl+drag can copy AI from/to multiple lanes at once, whereas the various "Copy items" actions only copy to the active envelope lane.

* CUTTING AIs: "Cut items" will (sometimes) delete multiple AIs, giving the impression that it will also paste all of them, but as above, only one will actually be pasted.

* SELECTED AREA: Mouse dragging can copy/move "selected areas" of AIs, but the action versions have seemingly not yet been implemented for AIs.

* DUPLICATE DISTANT: The action "Duplicate automation items" can copy AIs to contiguous positions, and Ctrl-drag can copy AIs to non-contiguous positions, but "Move duplicate of item to edit cursor" has seemingly not yet been implemented for AIs.

* TRIM CONTENT BEHIND AIs: Actions do not respect the setting Preferences -> "Trim content behind AI when editing or writing automation" when pasting, unless the AIs are copied together with MIs.

* SPLIT AIs: Ctrl+drag can split multiple AIs at the time selection by wiggling in place, but the corresponding splitting actions have not been implemented for AIs.

Last edited by juliansader; 03-11-2020 at 10:54 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #2
mccrabney

huge +1. didn't see this until after i posted my "AI truncated by COPY/PASTE" bug report.
well worded, JS.

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=227439

REAPER needs to obey 30 years of user expectation when it comes to SELECT, COPY, and PASTE.
as i said elsewhere, otherwise, it's like copying a sentence only to paste it and see that it left all of the vowels behind.
mccrabney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
schwa
Administrator

This does need to get fixed. We'll plan to do this after the dust settles from the 6.0 release.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
D Rocks

thanks for doing it 2019-12-18
Old 01-16-2020, 12:41 PM   #5
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Rocks View Post
thanks for doing it 2019-12-18
Unfortunately, it has not yet been done... 2020-01-16.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:02 AM   #6
juliansader

The following update in v6.05 links to this thread, but does not actually address any of the problems listed:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpander View Post
+ Automation items: when copy/pasting media items, also copy/paste all selected automation items [t=227409]
In fact, we now have at least *three* different, inconsistent behaviors when copy/pasting AIs together with MIs:
1) The copy/paste actions mentioned in the update;
2) Other copy/paste/duplicate actions such as the "within time selection" variants.
3) Left+drag mouse modifier functions for duplicating or moving.

The new behavior (selected AIs move with selected MIs) is a very useful improvement that has been eagerly requested for more than three years, so will hopefully soon be applied to all the various copy/paste/duplicate/move actions.

Last edited by juliansader; 03-11-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 04:48 PM   #7
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
The following update in v6.05 links to this thread, but does not actually address any of the problems listed:
I was eager to try it, cause I've been playing with a script and automation items etc.. but I don't notice any change in 6.05? Do you what exactly changed?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:05 PM   #8
juliansader

When copy/pasting MIs and AIs together (using the Ctrl+C/V Actions, not the mouse modifiers), *selected* AIs will now copy/paste together with selected media items when "Envelopes points move with media items" is *DISabled*. This allows users greater control over which MIs and which AIs are copied together.

The new behavior has not yet been implemented in the "within time selection" variants of the copy/paste actions, nor in the left+drag mouse modifier functions -- but will hopefully soon be implemented in all relevant copy/paste/duplicate/move actions.
Old 03-28-2020, 07:26 AM   #9
inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
When copy/pasting MIs and AIs together (using the Ctrl+C/V Actions, not the mouse modifiers), *selected* AIs will now copy/paste together with selected media items when "Envelopes points move with media items" is *DISabled*. This allows users greater control over which MIs and which AIs are copied together.

The new behavior has not yet been implemented in the "within time selection" variants of the copy/paste actions, nor in the left+drag mouse modifier functions -- but will hopefully soon be implemented in all relevant copy/paste/duplicate/move actions.
I see. this is confusing (I was trying with the Envelopes points move with media items enabled).
And one thing i noticed is that if the AI precedes any other selected MI, when pasting (let's on cursor position 10s) the first MI gets at 10s and the preceeding AI gets before that..
You'd expect the first item (the AI in this case) to be pasted at 10s and the rest following.

Well.. and I'm lost as to where to write these bugs like this.
(prerelease discussion vs here..)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
juliansader

The issue concerning paste position has already been reported and discussed in the pre-release forums. Some users may prefer the MI to determine the paste position.

Sadly, I have no idea when the devs will do some work on AIs again. (We've been waiting for three years already...)