Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 03-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #1
DreamDisease
Human being with feelings

Default Not a reaper question but a what does this plugin do?

Meldaproduction's MXXX bundle has a setting called "Video Audio Cleaner" and all I know is when I put it on a vocal it makes it less harsh and makes it sound better. But the free version has an audio watermark and I'm not paying 1200 for one effect. Is there another free combo of effects that does the same thing? I can't even find a documentation of the effect alone.

It has a noise reduction knob, a low cut knob, a vocal presence knob and a limiter knob. A lot of times just putting it on with all the knobs untouched is enough to make a big difference to my vocals.
DreamDisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 12:50 AM   #2
tdc

Vocals are a notoriously challenging source, so anything that makes you feel it is better is worth something.

Before you look elsewhere though, try a few things.

- Subtle saturation to thicken and add some more meat whilst slightly reducing the average dynamic rage in a non-compressive fashion. Try the JS Waveshaping. Set it to about 20% distortion, and the Wet/Dry to 50%. Youre not wanting distortion, just a subtle lifting and some additional harmonics.

- LPF to soften the top end. Try ReEQ, LPF at a 6dB/octave somewhere around 10k then lower that until you hear the softness come in and not too far to reduce the air.

- Focus With the two previous processes you can now probably dial in a little more focus, so try a gentle boost with ReEQ around 3k-5k depending on the mic and vocalist of course.

best of luck
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 04:36 AM   #3
DarkStar

"Video Audio Cleaner" is just one Device among many in MXXX. And for the purchase price you get all the Devices, all the modular plug-ins and scope to build almost whatever effect you want.

Anyway, for "Video Audio Cleaner", click on the [Edit]button and you'll see that it is a chain of 3 modular plug-ins: Spectral Dynamics, Equalizer and Limiter. You can click on the [?] (or press F1 when hovering over a parameter) to get any available Information.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:31 AM   #4
DreamDisease

Thanks guys, and wow Darkstar I didn't know you could do that that's awesome! And yes tdc, vocals are so hard for me to get right, I wish I could just have someone else process them I have no idea what I'm doing but it sounds....ok...
DreamDisease is offline   Reply With Quote