Old 10-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #321
Gianfini
Human being with feelings

mmhhh Quantize 2.0 alpha.. can't get it to work yet..

g
Gianfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:15 AM   #322
_Stevie_

Not a huge fan of the new GUI, I have to confess
V2 somehow looks way more complicated and not as intuitive as V1.
Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 AM   #323
G-Sun

Wow, did I hear v2 alpha.
Praise Lord mpl!
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 01:44 PM   #324
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
V2 somehow looks way more complicated and not as intuitive as V1.
v1 is shitty piece of buggy code. You are free to use it, if you are ok with awful performance, GUI lags and totally uneditable code along with untiutive design (see first pages people didn`t realize ever difference beetween global and pattern mode).

Last edited by mpl; 10-30-2018 at 09:53 PM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:11 PM   #325
foxAsteria

Well first off, thanks for making the window remember its position and values between uses! Those were the only things keeping me from using this before.

But I can't actually figure out how to use this new version. E.g. how to simply quantize the notes of a selected item to the current grid value by 50%? No amount of clicking moves the notes. And what's the difference between "reference" and "source?"

If the GUI is not intuitive, I'd suggest it's down to word choice. I hope I'm not being rude, but "Catch Reference" is such an unusual combination of words I don't imagine many people will be able to guess what it's supposed to do. "Align position" and "align value" sound about the same to me; what's the difference? 0x80 and 0x90? I assume that has some real significance, but if only a few know what it is, it will just confuse the rest.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:30 PM   #326
mpl

Since it is developed version yet, it has pretty poor/rough naming, basically only for guys who test it. But yeah any suggestions welcome. *turn russian accent on* Note, I`m Russian and poor English is still here *turn russian accent off*.

Quote:
E.g. how to simply quantize the notes of a selected item to the current grid value by 50%?
MIDI notes mode is for MIDI editor notes, I'll add later selected item notes/cc as reference/source and will name it more carefully. Quantize to current grid - pretty sure it is a pattern as reference, but didn't yet implemented pattern tools like "catching points from current grid".

Quote:
And what's the difference between "reference" and "source?"
Reference - what to use for reference points to align (positions on timeline as well as additional values such as gain/pan/env.point value/RMS at stretch marker/cc/etc)
Source - what to align (for "align" action, it is also planning to "create" action, "raw quantize" and "sorted align" actions).
Any ideas for better naming reference and source for Align action?

Redesigning things in one window looks impossible to me for such a complex tool. Although I already made it presettable. Basic use - run custom action:
1) action for setting your strategy (preset) as initial for QT (it also says to initialize QT with strategy from external state, by default it store previous settings as you mentioned),
2) run QT (next alpha has reduced mode view with only knobs line when GUI heigh is low than 300px).
Then, turn knob (you can define once in your strategy what data QT should collect on start and what action to do as well as how much).
This theoretically allows to have (and share!) large amount of custom modes to run without designing a lot of same interfaces, examples:
  • Convert stretch markers to MIDI notes
  • Align selected items to MPC swing groove by 40percent
  • Create regions from selected items
  • Force track volumes to track volume envelopes
  • Quantize envelope points verically by 80percent
  • Force current values of FX to its parameters by 10percent

Reduced view with pre-loaded strategy looks like this (it is also planned a mode to run specific strategy through QT without ReaScript GUI):

Last edited by mpl; 10-31-2018 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:46 PM   #327
foxAsteria

Thank you for taking the time to explain that, mpl. So let me see if I understand you correctly. As a native English speaker, these are my suggestions for "more intuitive" wording:

Strategy = Preset
Source = Target
Reference = Align to: (or Anchor Points?)
Catch = Detect
Pattern = Groove (unless it is more than this?)
"Calculate Action Output" = Quantize
Aligning = Alignment

Up to you if you want to take my suggestions, but I think it would make it easier for testing. Now that I know what all the words mean, it's suddenly much more intuitive.

Ok, so you say the tool doesn't yet detect the grid settings. That explains why I couldn't make it work. Will we be able to set independent grid reference settings here as well, or are we just using grid-based patterns?

One last suggestion: the "calculate action output on init" option is basically to run the action immediately when opening the tool, correct? How about instead of that, just a separate action to 'run the quantize tool with last settings' without opening the window at all? After all, folks like me just want a quick way to quantize MIDI notes without opening the MIDI Editor.

One thing I'm still not clear on though is the difference between those knobs at the bottom (value vs position). This is probably because I never quantize anything but MIDI notes...

Thanks again!
Old 10-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #328
G-Sun

Testing now.
My default scenario is:
- Aligning stretch-markers to grid
- Aligning stretch-marker item1 to SM item2
- SM <> Midi-notes

Is this possible now?
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #329
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Testing now.
My default scenario is:
- Aligning stretch-markers to grid
- Aligning stretch-marker item1 to SM item2
- SM <> Midi-notes

Is this possible now?
Not yet. The stretch markers require specific testing (negative ratios, checking src_pos/pos pairs around take offsets and playrates, etc).

Quote:
One thing I'm still not clear on though is the difference between those knobs at the bottom (value vs position).
Ex.: items to envelope points.
Align position: align positions
Align values: align items gain to closer evelope point value

Quote:
"Calculate Action Output" = Quantize
I doubt it is right case to use word "Quantize", since it is more a mathematic term. Like if your note are at 12.3565 bar you can quantize its position to 12 bar. So it is related mostly if you "quantize" position to grid (not always, ex for triplets). Otherwise it is just an alignment to closer value.

Last edited by mpl; 10-31-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:40 PM   #330
foxAsteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
I doubt it is right case to use word "Quantize"
Fair enough, I was not aware of that, but even "Run Action" would be less confusing. I do think sometimes it's fine to use an incorrect word. I notice coders general prefer very specific language (and that makes sense), but it often amounts to gibberish for the layman and a more familiar word could be better. I suggested Quantize because that is what I would expect an Quantize Tool to do. (I've always thought of quantize as a music-specific synonym for "align" or "snap,") "Align" or "Run Alignment" would also be fairly clear.

About the knobs; Now I see, but is it ever the case when they will both be used simultaneously? I assume that's why there are 2 but I can't image how they would interact. And if not, a single knob would be enough.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 10-31-2018 at 05:47 PM.
foxAsteria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #331
_Stevie_

Maybe that's the reason I find V2 so confusing.
I completely agree with foxAsteria.
Afterall it's meant to be a Quantize tool, but currently I feel like sitting in a cockpit, not knowing how to fly the plane.
Old 10-31-2018, 08:02 PM   #332
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
"Run Action"
Technically it doesn't work as regular actions or groove tool. It consists of two separated steps: calculation of output positions and values + moving knob to perform adjusting to calculated value multiplied by knob value. It's done this way because of performance actual and potential issues (imagine you will loop million times same calculation on every tiny slider move). So actual "run action" happen when you drag knob, but it only works if you have already calculated output positions. Oh and it needs an additional check in options like "calculate output on init" and "apply action on init", so on QT initialization the script 1.Calculate output 2.Perform quantize(no need a slider move)

Re:knobs.
Depends on what type of object is target, user not necessary want to also align volumes or something. Previously it was disabled or hardlinked. But yeah, an option to link position/value knob seems possible as a Preset/Action/Option. Since it "universal" tool, don't forget there could be way more cases than you can imagine over your personal workflow.

Thanks for naming suggestions btw.

Last edited by mpl; 11-01-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:19 AM   #333
Gianfini

trying to test quantize tool 2.0

Objective: quantize audio items (after dynamic split) to beat
Results:
1. often it doesn't apply any quantization even upon turning the position knob to 100%. One time I made it to work but most times it doesn't
2. when it worked it actually didn't fully quantize to my beat (it was 1/8 for me)
3. It doesn't move grouped items along with selected items (so it's totally useless for drum quantization)

what am I doing wrong?
g
Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 AM   #334
mpl

What means "to beat"? Send your preset (\Reaper\Scripts\MPL Scripts\Various\mpl_QuantizeTool_presets\last_save d.qt), you can quote it right here, it is just text file.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:09 AM   #335
Gianfini

Quote:
What means "to beat"? Send your preset (\Reaper\Scripts\MPL Scripts\Various\mpl_QuantizeTool_presets\last_save d.qt), you can quote it right here, it is just text file.
I mean that the quantization process should move the items that are off-beat so that the snap offset coincides with the quarters or octaves (the beat)

Here the preset

//Preset for MPL`s QuantizeTool v2

act_action=1
act_initact=1
act_initapp=0
act_initcatchref=1
act_initcatchsrc=1
act_initgui=1
exe_val1=1
exe_val2=0
name=default
ref_editcur=0
ref_envpoints=0
ref_marker=0
ref_midi=0
ref_midi_msgflag=1
ref_pattern=0
ref_pattern_gensrc=1
ref_pattern_len=8
ref_pattern_name=DX_16_ 58% swing
ref_positions=1
ref_selitems=3
ref_strmarkers=0
ref_timemarker=0
src_envpoint=0
src_midi=0
src_positions=1
src_selitems=3
src_strmarkers=0
Old 11-11-2018, 05:50 AM   #336
mpl

Your preset works here:

Since target and anchor points is the same type, on initialization quantize tool take as anchor points and target same items, it require from manually:
1) select anchor point items and detect anchor point,
2) do the same for target
3) calculate output and adjust knob

Working on handling grouped items btw.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:53 AM   #337
Gianfini

Quote:
Your preset works here:

Since target and anchor points is the same type, on initialization quantize tool take as anchor points and target same items, it require from manually:
1) select anchor point items and detect anchor point,
2) do the same for target
3) calculate output and adjust knob

Working on handling grouped items btw.
doesn't work here

EDIT: from your example I see you aligning one item to another (through anchor points), I don't see alignment to the beat. Maybe this script is not meant for alignment of items to the beat? Then "Quantize" should not be the right title for the script maybe?

g

Last edited by Gianfini; 11-11-2018 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #338
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
EDIT: from your example I see you aligning one item to another (through anchor points), I don't see alignment to the beat. Maybe this script is not meant for alignment of items to the beat? Then "Quantize" should not be the right title for the script maybe?
This is not a 1 action script. As I mentioned, it provides different scenarious (probably hundreds). You have to learn how to setup the action you want to do, then save it for further recall.

There is no "quantize to beat". But if you want, for example, align items positions to grid to have to set AnchorPoints checks as Groove/CurrentGrid.
Pressing small buttons on the bottom allows you to overview targets/anchor points as markers on ruler:

Last edited by mpl; 11-11-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:54 AM   #339
Gianfini

mhh ok I understood. So Groove and Current Grid...

Then I observe 2 behaviours
1. grouped items are not moving
2. some item is going in the wrong direction

see figure below, look at the blue items, they are moving the wrong direction apparently.. and all above items are grouped with the selected ones but they don't move at all

PS. I'm writing this often because I think a proper quantize tool is completely missing in Reaper vs the other DAWs and your job is a very valuable one!
Old 11-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #340
foxAsteria

Hi! Testing v2.0. It's all so much less confusing now, thank you! Small request/suggestion: instead of Grid being a subset of Groove, can it not be its own heading, with settings independent of the arrange grid (current grid value as an option)? E.g. I'm typically quantizing to 16ths but the arrange grid is usually set to something larger like bars or 1/4 notes. So I can't use the tool properly in this case without switching grid values before and after.

If people open this tool up looking to quantize MIDI notes, they will have to dig for the grid settings, since they're hidden by default. Just think Anchor Points tab should look like this on init:
[ ]Grid
[ ]Groove
[ ]Positions and Values

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-11-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 AM   #341
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianfini View Post
mhh ok I understood. So Groove and Current Grid...

Then I observe 2 behaviours
1. grouped items are not moving
2. some item is going in the wrong direction
Seems ok to me since you have 1/8 grid (so items snap to closest grid).
I added support for grouped items from 2.0pre1 (roughly tested but hopefully coming soon later today).
Old 11-11-2018, 11:05 AM   #342
Gianfini

Quote:
Seems ok to me since you have 1/8 grid (so items snap to closest grid).
I added support for grouped items from 2.0pre1 (roughly tested but hopefully coming soon later today).
Blue items are actually diverging from 1/8th grid lines (visible in the image). They should move to RIGHT (closest gridline) not to left.

I tested using your other quantize script (the old one) and that is working right, moving them rightward

Thanks for Grouped Items

EDIT: it's solved. I had the Select From List checked, instead I should have the GENERATE GROOVE selected. Only thing I can say is that it's not very intuitive. I would separate Quantize to Grid from Quantize to Groove

g
Old 11-11-2018, 01:50 PM   #343
Gianfini

I downloaded 2.0pre1 and nothing works anymore... can I revert back?

it says 1027 target items which I guess is the total number of items I have in the project (even if I just selected 3)
Turning knobs is very slow and nothing happens even with the right settings using current grid

g
Old 11-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #344
mpl

Ok thanks, it is coming from splitting grid from groove (technically grid is also a groove), hopefully fixed.

Planned to push 2.0 officially this week since there aren't/wasn't much responses here. It was mostly tested by me for last two weeks, it is impossible to test all cases thought. I also planning to include couple presets by default. Anyway, old version is hard to maintain and to fix various bugs I noticed here. Will see how much bugs I missed after 2.0 release.

Last edited by mpl; 11-12-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:04 AM   #345
foxAsteria

"Fantom Grid" Heheh, I like it. Thanks for taking that suggestion! Very helpful. Makes me very happy to see it's working great now; pretty much just like I'd expect a quantize tool to work.
Couple issues:
Doesn't appear to be working for 1/4T somehow, but all the others I tried seem fine. Also you can notice in the gif there's some weird behavior with notes already on beat being moved off with middle values on the knobs.

For a while I was confused about the green anchor lines and didn't realize I needed to click the green button to detect the anchor points any time I changed a setting. Would it be possible to auto update their positions whenever we are changing a related setting? Apart from the convenience of not having to update it manually, that would make it really obvious what the green lines indicate.

Thanks again for providing this excellent tool!
Old 11-12-2018, 04:13 AM   #346
mpl

For updating anchor point/target on the fly check related option in menu (it is global setting, doesn't related to preset).

Hmm I use RAW MIDI code, it could be tricky to make overlapping notes quantized as expected. I'll probably revert it for using old API (which is way slower unfortunately). Can you attach project to reproduce the problem and also a QT preset (Menu/Dump current preset)?

Last edited by mpl; 11-12-2018 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #347
foxAsteria

Quote:
For updating anchor point/target on the fly check related option in menu (it is global setting, doesn't related to preset).
It's odd, I never touched that option, but this time it was already on when I loaded the tool. Sorry bout that...

Code:
act_action = 1
act_alignflag = 1
act_initact = 1
act_initapp = 1
act_initcatchref = 1
act_initcatchsrc = 1
act_initgui = 1
exe_val1 = 0
exe_val2 = 0
exe_val3 = 0
name = 1/4T MIDI Notes
ref_editcur = 0
ref_envpoints = 1
ref_grid = 5
ref_grid_sw = 0
ref_grid_val = 0.25
ref_marker = 0
ref_midi = 0
ref_midi_msgflag = 1
ref_pattern = 0
ref_pattern_gensrc = 1
ref_pattern_len = 4
ref_pattern_name = last_touched
ref_positions = 0
ref_selitems = 0
ref_strmarkers = 0
ref_timemarker = 0
src_envpoint = 0
src_envpoints = 0
src_midi = 3
src_positions = 1
src_selitems = 0
src_strmarkers = 0
project: https://stash.reaper.fm/34831/test.RPP

Personally, I'd be fine with the script removing the overlapping notes if that's an easier way.

Also, I use Esc to close all floating windows and this script window is one of the few I've seen that don't ignore it. Can you point me to the code that allows it to work, so I can maybe add it to some other scripts that don't? Thx

2 things I don't understand: what's "search area?" and what does "initialize reascript gui" do?

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-12-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:23 AM   #348
mpl

Quote:
Also, I use Esc to close windows and this script window is one of the few I've seen that don't ignore it. Can you point me to the code that allows it to work, so I can maybe add it to some other scripts that don't? Thx
It is in the main loop:
Code:
if mouse.char >= 0 and mouse.char ~= 27 
      then defer(run) else atexit(gfx.quit) end
mouse.char coming from gfx.getchar([char] ), which equal to 27, when you press Escape
Old 11-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #349
foxAsteria

Thanks dude!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #350
mpl

Quote:
2 things I don't understand: what's "search area?" and what does "initialize reascript gui" do?
"search area" is a time threshold for any single point. If the point supposed to move 2 beats further and "search area" set to 1.5 beats, the point doesn`t move.

"initialize reascript gui" is an option to not run ReaScript GUI for particular preset. That means all calculations and applying preset hidden (like a regular single action), in this case you have to set your preset more clear (ex, not set both anchor points and target as a same type object) and set "calculate on init", "apply on init" as well.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #351
foxAsteria

Ah now it makes sense. I'd unchecked initialize GUI for my default preset (because it sounds like it does something like resets the GUI on initialization) and it was causing the tool to no longer open. Though I'd found a bug. Might be clearer to have an option for hiding the gui, rather than showing it. Or calling it "show GUI on init" could help too.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #352
mpl

QT loads last preset by default. With "set preset..." actions you say QT to 1)load QT a specific preset 2)load QT from external state, then you should run main script. If you load external preset, internally QT change behaviour from "load from external state" to "load last saved state" after loading external preset.

This check is a part of preset.
If you uncheck it, next time QT is loaded, it will not show GUI (because it load last preset). So here you can:
1) load default preset (see action for this)
2) from GUI load preset you want to change
3) fix GUI check
4) resave your preset
OR
1) in your preset change act_initGUI param to 1.

Re:midi
The issue here is complex to detect. I guess it is related to
1) non1.0x takerate
2) quantization errors when converting PPQ>seconds>beats and back

Not sure I have enough mindpower and knowledge to fix it, but I'll try.

Last edited by mpl; 11-13-2018 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:23 AM   #353
mpl

Sorry if all this sounds complex, but I didn't found better way to handle such multitask tool.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #354
foxAsteria

Oh that's a bummer; how about this then: for stretched items (I didn't even realize that was the case), just toss a message onscreen that items should be glued to quantize correctly whenever that's the case, if that's the only reason it wasn't working. I think I've seen something similar with quantize in the ME. A prompt to let QT glue the item first would be cool too.

About the presets, it doesn't sound that complex, but the the wording is confusing. Maybe a warning there would be a good idea here too (checking this option will cause GUI will not appear when running the tool next. Use the "load default preset" action to restore defaults). I couldn't find this action though, so maybe I misunderstand you still.

Last edited by foxAsteria; 11-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #355
Gianfini

WOW now it works pretty well... a bit more intuitive interface would be beneficial, but then... enough

thanks MPL, I'll continue testing

g
Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #356
mpl

Quote:
Oh that's a bummer; how about this then: for stretched items (I didn't even realize that was the case), just toss a message onscreen that items should be glued to quantize correctly whenever that's the case, if that's the only reason it wasn't working. I think I've seen something similar with quantize in the ME. A prompt to let QT glue the item first would be cool too.
I meant it is possible, just complex to calculate output raw MIDI data properly (test blue markers looks good on the ruler).
Old 11-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #357
pingosimon

So awesome. I use this just for the Quantize % feature

Sometimes it won't run. The plugin windows appears, blank white, and Reaper just freezes. If it happens in a certain Project, it will always happen in that project. In most projects it works well. Any idea why?
pingosimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:44 PM   #358
mpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingosimon View Post
So awesome. I use this just for the Quantize % feature

Sometimes it won't run. The plugin windows appears, blank white, and Reaper just freezes. If it happens in a certain Project, it will always happen in that project. In most projects it works well. Any idea why?
Which QT version your question related to, which OS? Attach project as well.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #359
pingosimon

Windows 10, Reaper 5.95 x64
mpl Quantize tool // Version 1.8.4
Attached is a project where it does NOT work

EDIT: Found 2.0 pre5 It works!

Suggestion: A feature to ignore stretch markers that are already close to the grid. Pro Tools calls this "Include Within___" and "Exclude Within___"
Or maybe I'm misunderstanding "Align Value" and "Search Area"...
Attached Files
File Type: rpp Away in a Manger edit2.rpp (73.0 KB, 155 views)

Last edited by pingosimon; 11-20-2018 at 11:16 PM.
pingosimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:12 AM   #360
mpl

2.0pre5 is pretty much working, though it still bad at midi events calculation (working on this).
I think, search area is "include within" (will rename it). If "exclude within" means ignore targets out of dest and source position difference, then I can also implement it, as well as maximum difference limit.