Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 01-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #121
Justin
Administrator

OK I got an LG TV which runs at 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz. Testing with a mid-2014 RMBP via HDMI.

The motion seems smooth when running fullscreen on it, but I did notice that on the release versions there is considerable shearing, vs on a local build (which may come down to compiling with the macos 10.6 SDK vs the 10.13 SDK). Doing more research and experimentation...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #122
mrlimbic
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
OK I got an LG TV which runs at 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz. Testing with a mid-2014 RMBP via HDMI.

The motion seems smooth when running fullscreen on it, but I did notice that on the release versions there is considerable shearing, vs on a local build (which may come down to compiling with the macos 10.6 SDK vs the 10.13 SDK). Doing more research and experimentation...
Yes shearing is what happens for me at higher resolutions. Like you are occasionally getting half of one frame and half of the next.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:00 PM   #123
Justin
Administrator

Edit: ran into some snags, figuring out the best solution, stay tuned!

(the issue seems to be that linking with a macOS SDK older than 10.7 disables OpenGL 3.2 support, which appears to be necessary for decent performance on 4k displays).

Last edited by Justin; 01-12-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #124
Justin
Administrator

OK try 5.71pre12-clang
Old 01-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #125
svijayrathinam

Quote:
OK try 5.71pre12-clang
Thank you again for having a go at this. But the issue is still there I am afraid. I can't see any video performance improvements here.

In the reaper.ini file "refresh_ms=default (default is 10, can specify interval in milliseconds, 1 is fastest)"

that code is missing now. Is that OK ?
svijayrathinam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:27 AM   #126
EvilDragon

Try adding back that.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #127
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Try adding back that.
Where do I add that? I mean which line?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #128
EvilDragon

So add back:

Code:
refresh_ms=1
to reaper.ini.

Also, if you previously added the whole line, exactly how Justin wrote it:

Code:
"refresh_ms=default (default is 10, can specify interval in milliseconds, 1 is fastest)"
That wouldn't have worked at all (AFAIK), because it has those all extra characters in parentheses.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 AM   #129
svijayrathinam

Quote:
So add back

refresh_ms=1

to reaper.ini
I mean to which line of the code ? Does that matter ?
Old 01-13-2018, 02:58 AM   #130
EvilDragon

No, just add it on the second line, below [REAPER].
Old 01-13-2018, 03:18 AM   #131
svijayrathinam

Quote:
No, just add it on the second line, below [REAPER].
Ok..I added ..But that doesn't help either. Also Reaper v5.71 pre12/64 is very unstable. Its playback is very jittery. When I hit play..it says "Buffeting" and doesn't start playing for a while before it starts playback and my buffer settings is not that large only 512.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:25 AM   #132
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svijayrathinam View Post
Ok..I added ..But that doesn't help either. Also Reaper v5.71 pre12/64 is very unstable. Its playback is very jittery. When I hit play..it says "Buffeting" and doesn't start playing for a while before it starts playback and my buffer settings is not that large only 512.
Just to confirm, you're using 5.71pre12-clang/64?

Does 5.71pre12/x64 have the same buffering on playback start?
Old 01-13-2018, 07:27 AM   #133
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Just to confirm, you're using 5.71pre12-clang/64?

Does 5.71pre12/x64 have the same buffering on playback start?
Oh No..I am not using Clang. Where is the link for it ? I didnt find that in the pre release folder. i was using the 5.71pre12 and when i edited the ini with what evil dragon said then it started making that playback issue..
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #134
svijayrathinam

Oh Yes..Now I see clang..My bad!!! I didnt see it properly. Let me try that now..
Old 01-13-2018, 07:57 AM   #135
svijayrathinam

Oh yes !!! That did it !. Clang is the one !!! Now i dont see any shearing. Shearing is gone completely. But when zooming in and out on the edit timeline while playing..the video doesn't refresh properly. also while performing actions like "forward a bit" and "rewind a bit" the video is not smooth. I even tried it with a pro res file. The forward and rewind performance is actually the same in a compressed H246 file and a pro res file (which makes me think that if you tweak this a bit more..you could get great video performance even with a compressed footage). But you are definitely on the right track..I can certainly see the light at the end of the tunnel !!!..

Can these things be sorted out ? Can you pls take a look at this further and iron out these smaller issues too !! You Sir...are truly my saviour !!!
Old 01-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #136
Justin
Administrator

How's it during normal playback?

The other things you describe are likely unrelated...
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM   #137
mrlimbic

Quote:

Shearing is gone for me too now even at full screen with clang version. Thanks.

I compared it to MacOS native preview playback at full screen and it looks pretty much the same to me now.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:28 AM   #138
svijayrathinam

Quote:

I have done some extensive testing with the clang pre release with different types of videos..some pro res, some, H264, Some DNX HD, some MJPEG, MKVs, MOVs, MP4s etc with different decoder settings (VLC, AV Foundation, QT, FFMPEG). One good thing is that the shearing is completely gone. The video playback is generally good. But I feel the general graphics performance has taken a hit. Here are the issues I have with the clang version

1. Forward a bit and rewind a bit definitely doesn't refresh the videos as it use to do in the older versions (Though I had the shearing issue earlier, forward a bit and rewind a bit worked perfectly with smooth video refreshing. It was almost like fast forwarding a tape deck. Thats the kind of performance I got earlier).

2. The entire graphics performance seems to be slowing things down. This is very obvious when "zoomed in " in the timeline. When I perform actions like zooming in and zooming out in the edit window while playback, the video stops for a few seconds and then resumes play though the playback isnt stopped. Hitting save while playback is also making the video stop for a few seconds before resuming play again.

3. When I tried to search through actions list the displaying of search results was slow which was never a case with previous versions of reaper.

All these could be related to the graphics issue or it could be completely different like you said. I will leave that to you since you are the best person to judge that.

I have linked a screen recording here about this where you will see how slow the searches appear in the actions window.This might help you to better identify the issue at hand.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0phvpo2qmq...eaper.mov?dl=0

CPU Usage : CPU usage is very low while general playback, on a heavy project (more than 85 tracks with audio material for over an hour continuously in the timeline) with a lot of take fx and plugins, reaper only uses around 8 percent of CPU. But while performing actions like forward a bit, rewind a bit or zooming out and zooming in or hitting save or resizing a plugin window or any other window (including the performance meter window) the CPU usage spikes more than 35 percent (not only in a heavy project but also in an almost blank project only with one video item) and thats when the video freezes for more than a few seconds and then resumes playback. When the normal playback resumes the CPU usage drops down back to 8 %. These things never happened to me on older versions running the same projects.

What do you think about this ? Could this be graphics related ?

Last edited by svijayrathinam; 01-13-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 AM   #139
barrettisgold

I've been having what appears to be the same issue with video slipping sync or only refreshing half the screen at a time. Is this what 'shearing' is referring too?

I've had clients complain that it looks out of sync or in slow motion.

I'd happily do a test. Please can someone point me to a link to download 5.71pre12-clang. I've not run a pre-release before so don't know where to download it.

I've tried this on a Mac Pro and MacBook Pro, both on High Sierra. Running Reaper 32bit with VLC 64bit. It happens on both native display and external. More noticeable when video is fullscreen. Perhaps could be the issue. I shall try a 32bit version of VLC but also would like to try the Pre-Release to see if that works.

Thanks to all those that have contributed to highlighting and resolving this issue. It really is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by barrettisgold; 02-14-2018 at 06:57 AM.
barrettisgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 10:26 AM   #140
RobinGShore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettisgold View Post
I'd happily do a test. Please can someone point me to a link to download 5.71pre12-clang. I've not run a pre-release before so don't know where to download it.
You can find the link in the pre-release section of the forum. Cockos has requested that it not be posted or discussed in other places.
RobinGShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:56 AM   #141
barrettisgold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinGShore View Post
You can find the link in the pre-release section of the forum. Cockos has requested that it not be posted or discussed in other places.
Thanks Robin!

I've tested and this has resolved the frame stuttering issue for me too. I tested on my Macbook Pro only as I don't have access to an external screen today but so far so good. Thank you for looking into this. It's greatly appreciated.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:44 AM   #142
svijayrathinam

This shearing issue is still there in 5.90 official release. But I have been using the icc 18 versions and the icc 18 versions dont have that video shearing issue. I had to go back to the official release today as the icc 18 versions rewire dont work. But if i switch to the official release rewire works but video playback is still buggy..Can you pls fix this ?
Old 06-02-2018, 05:52 AM   #143
Justin
Administrator

The icc18 builds will be used for the main releases around 6.0. As for ReWire, do you mean REAPER as slave or master?
Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 AM   #144
svijayrathinam

Quote:
The icc18 builds will be used for the main releases around 6.0. As for ReWire, do you mean REAPER as slave or master?
Thank you justin for getting back. I would like to use reaper as rewire slave with protocols as master
Old 06-02-2018, 07:51 AM   #145
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Thank you justin for getting back. I would like to use reaper as rewire slave with protocols as master
I'll look into fixing that for the icc18 builds. In the mean time you could try manually replacing the REAPER64.app/Contents/Plugins/REAPERReWireDev.bundle in the icc18 build with the one from the 5.90 release and see if that works?
Old 06-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #146
svijayrathinam

Quote:
I'll look into fixing that for the icc18 builds. In the mean time you could try manually replacing the REAPER64.app/Contents/Plugins/REAPERReWireDev.bundle in the icc18 build with the one from the 5.90 release and see if that works?

Just tried that Justin. No.It doesn't work
Old 06-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #147
barrettisgold

Quote:
This shearing issue is still there in 5.90 official release. But I have been using the icc 18 versions and the icc 18 versions dont have that video shearing issue. I had to go back to the official release today as the icc 18 versions rewire dont work. But if i switch to the official release rewire works but video playback is still buggy..Can you pls fix this ?
I was finding the same issue and wondering if I had missed something since the problem was solved.

Quote:
...and now I know it is coming! 😁
Old 06-12-2018, 07:52 AM   #148
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hmm I just tested the icc18 version, and ReWire seems to work, at least when ReWiring REAPER into REAPER.

Having said that, it's possible that GateKeeper is running REAPER in App Translocation mode, which would prevent ReWire from working with other applications (since they are isolated).

After you've launched REAPER, open a terminal and show me the output of this command:
Code:
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Propellerhead\ Software/ReWire/REAPERReWire*
If App Translocation is used, you'll get something like:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 justin  wheel  165 Jun 12 10:48 /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/REAPERReWireDev64.plugin -> /private/var/folders/sm/(random digits)/T/AppTranslocation/(random digits)d/REAPER64.app/Contents/Plugins/REAPERReWireDev.bundle
Old 06-18-2018, 02:59 AM   #149
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Hmm I just tested the icc18 version, and ReWire seems to work, at least when ReWiring REAPER into REAPER.

Having said that, it's possible that GateKeeper is running REAPER in App Translocation mode, which would prevent ReWire from working with other applications (since they are isolated).

After you've launched REAPER, open a terminal and show me the output of this command:
Code:
ls -l /Library/Application\ Support/Propellerhead\ Software/ReWire/REAPERReWire*
If App Translocation is used, you'll get something like:
Code:
lrwxr-xr-x  1 justin  wheel  165 Jun 12 10:48 /Library/Application Support/Propellerhead Software/ReWire/REAPERReWireDev64.plugin -> /private/var/folders/sm/(random digits)/T/AppTranslocation/(random digits)d/REAPER64.app/Contents/Plugins/REAPERReWireDev.bundle
Hi Justin. Here is what I get when I ran that command in terminal

Pls find the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kJ...Imw6VZzB4zDeNQ
Old 06-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #150
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Justin. Here is what I get when I ran that command in terminal

Pls find the link below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kJ...Imw6VZzB4zDeNQ
Thanks.. Can you ReWire REAPER64 into itself?
Old 06-20-2018, 07:08 AM   #151
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Thanks.. Can you ReWire REAPER64 into itself?
Nope..Just tried it. Sync is working fine but no audio coming through. Just like how it behaves with protools
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 PM   #152
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Nope..Just tried it. Sync is working fine but no audio coming through. Just like how it behaves with protools
Ah so with PT it appears, connects and everything, just doesn't send audio?
Old 06-21-2018, 12:11 PM   #153
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Ah so with PT it appears, connects and everything, just doesn't send audio?
Yes..Exactly
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 PM   #154
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Yes..Exactly
And the same for REAPER-REAPER rewired? No audio? And that works with the main releases?

What macOS version?
Old 06-24-2018, 07:42 AM   #155
svijayrathinam

Quote:
And the same for REAPER-REAPER rewired? No audio? And that works with the main releases?

What macOS version?
Yes..Same Reaper - Reaper Rewired..No Audio, But yes. it works for the main release.

Mac OS Version 10.13.5
Old 06-24-2018, 07:49 AM   #156
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Yes..Same Reaper - Reaper Rewired..No Audio, But yes. it works for the main release.

Mac OS Version 10.13.5
Can you zip up your Application Support/REAPER/ directory (no subdirectories to keep it small) and email that to support at cockos dot com? Also: have you tried reaper/reaper rewired when running direct from the .dmg?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 AM   #157
svijayrathinam

Quote:
Can you zip up your Application Support/REAPER/ directory (no subdirectories to keep it small) and email that to support at cockos dot com? Also: have you tried reaper/reaper rewired when running direct from the .dmg?
"Also: have you tried reaper/reaper rewired when running direct from the .dmg?"

To Do this ..Do I have to delete the reaper installed in my computer ? The moment I put the "Reaper Rewire" Plugin in protools..It automatically launches reaper installed on my computer. How do I make it launch the one in the DMG ?

Just emailed you the Application support Reaper directory
Old 06-25-2018, 07:18 AM   #158
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
"Also: have you tried reaper/reaper rewired when running direct from the .dmg?"

To Do this ..Do I have to delete the reaper installed in my computer ? The moment I put the "Reaper Rewire" Plugin in protools..It automatically launches reaper installed on my computer. How do I make it launch the one in the DMG ?

Just emailed you the Application support Reaper directory
Got it, thanks. Ignore ollie's stock reply too