Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 PM   #81
kastra
Human being with feelings

Default Oooops!

Hi Tod,

Apologies for the delay in responding (again )

Mea maxima culpa !

You're absolutely right of course and I'm afraid I'm to blame, since it's never occurred to me to disable those sends when setting up a MIDI file! It could, however, be potentially "hazardous" further down the line - particularly if folders or other VSTIs are involved - so I'll endeavour to remember it in future!

The background to this (where the "contagion" occurred) is that I decided to create a "10-Step Guide" to the setup process after seeing Steve's threads first on the MM/Garritan forums and then here in "newbieland". I first posted the guide here in the "Q & A" forum as a sort of "RFC thread" and, after about 80 views with no comments, I assumed that it was ok and went ahead to post it in the MM/Garritan forums. Needless to say, I'll now be getting the tools out to revise the Guide accordingly and I'll post the new version in the respective threads. In the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you could check out the Guide as it stands and let me know if there are any other "pratfalls" I should be aware of.

TIA

Regards,

Keith
kastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #82
stevewisnoski

Hi fellows, this issue is still requiring my attention, and I will post again next week, I am trying to get over this learning curve, as well as others, thanks.
stevewisnoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #83
gxulien

Default I feel your pain!

You can feel the tension in the air when you know your friends and family want to ask the obvious question, "So, are you ever going to finish a song?" Besides Reaper, I've been fighting with IK Multimedia on how to import a sample and get it to play as a chord or on different notes. I just want to say to the tech support, "Here's a .wav file. Just tell me what to do to make it work like Dave Kerzner in
the video." You're not the Lone Ranger on this front. I've figured out Reaper (recording mostly anyway), Midi, Addictive Drums, Shreddage Guitar and Sampletank, so I'm good to go now.

[QUOTE=Jacos;1406929]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewisnoski View Post
my learning curve is steep.
/QUOTE]
As is mine! I've put actual composition and production aside for the last 3 months to learn MIDI, Aria/GPO and Reaper. Some days I wonder if I'm barking up the wrong tree, other days I celebrate a success and can see my future musicmaking becoming much more enjoyable and confident than it was before, (ie in a previous DAW with little/no support or learning resources, and using only audio and single-track virtual instruments).

Yes, it was good, thanks for making it. I got a couple of ideas from it.

I followed a couple of links in YT too, then for some reason starting feeling hungry for a sandwich... Good video!
Jacos
gxulien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:29 PM   #84
gxulien

Default I really appreciate the feedback

Thanks for the feedback. I often feel like I'm over my head in this stuff. I shall march forward - just didn't want to pursue some scheme that was destined for failure just to go off and try to do something my own way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
yeah basically you got the idea... it is not the only way to go about it... just the way I layed out in the example.

The reasoning for me is that I don't want to record midi data on the VSTi track IF the VSTi is going to be used for multiple instruments...
I want each instrument to have it's own midi track and its own audio out track... just cleaner IMO... plus the guide was aimed at getting a beginner able to begin working.

but there are many other ways it can be accomplished.
gxulien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 PM   #85
stevewisnoski

I'm good also, much thanks to all that participated in this thread. This can now be an archive to all trying to use use midi files with Garritan libraries withing reaper. I wish the whole world could be as helpful as I found here.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #86
stevewisnoski

Hi, reposting a screenshot of what Tod described as a successful routing matrix using the aria player in reaper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg successful routing aria player in reaper.jpg (56.1 KB, 240 views)
Old 11-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #87
Jacos

Thanks Steve! I haven't tried using the matrix yet to set this up; so far I did it the long way.
Jacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:29 PM   #88
stevewisnoski

You bet, Jacos. I wanted to have the correct matrix as a screenshot to refer to. I have done some successful remixes using reaper, now I am back trying to compose. Good luck.