COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :

Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > Other Software Discussion > WDL users forum

Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 AM   #1
pressplay
Human being with feelings

Default IPlug VST3 ignores channel aftertouch

There is only this bug stopping me from a release. My plug-in is an audio effect which is controlled by midi. Note on messages trigger an envelope, which works fine including velocity. But channel aftertouch does not work for the VST3 build. VST2 does work as expected. I did not have the time for a deep debugging session, but maybe you have an instant idea what's going on. The midi queue is processed in the audio thread just like I saw it in IPlug examples. Tested on Windows Reaper and Tracktion.

Edit: a quick search with keywords vst3 and midi cc reveals that I can live with this bug for now. The VST3 implementation is a mess in this regard. I could workaround this problem with additional parameters, but no...

Last edited by pressplay; 01-08-2019 at 03:33 AM.
pressplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:39 AM   #2
pressplay
Human being with feelings

It was not so difficult to enable this feature. There is a proposal on how to enable MIDI cc for VST3 here: https://github.com/olilarkin/wdl-ol/issues/126.

Based on this example I have enabled channel aftertouch. For those who are interested, you can find the solution here: https://github.com/pressplay123/wdl-...77f22fe32a7eee.

Summary: You will have to add parameters to your VST3 plugin and map the midi control messages to them. I recommend making hidden parameters (ParameterInfo::kIsReadOnly), so they are not visible and subject to automation. In a host, you can automate the midi aftertouch directly, so there is no need for another visible parameter.

The solution has a drawback: since the IPlug lib has to be modified, the changes will apply to all plug-ins using this lib. So you have additional parameters, no matter if you use them or not. Removing already initialized parameters does not seem to be supported by the API.
pressplay is offline   Reply With Quote