Old 10-17-2019, 02:24 AM   #1
eclef
Human being with feelings

Default Last checks before backup and wipe

Hello!
I'm currently enjoying a general life purge/spring-clean... cleaning out the house from all the junk that's gathered (feels great; recommend if you're sick of clutter around you), changed my email address of like 15 years, and clearing out my PC to start fresh.

Anyway I have backed up my "Reaper media" folder - if I've got it right, these Project files and media files are EVERYTHING I need to restore a Reaper project.
I've also backed up the folder where I keep all my VSTs, and also the setup files for software with installers.

Before I pull the trigger and reinstall Windows, I want to double check that I haven't forgotten anything, that will leave me disappointed.

For example, is there some kind of file that backs up Reaper program settings? Anything else?

Thanks!
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #2
xpander

For Reaper settings you could save your configuration, selecting all the options there. Preferences/General, Export configuration.

For even more inclusive Reaper backup, You could open the Reaper resource path from under the Options and save everything showing under there.
xpander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:53 AM   #3
eclef

Perfect, thanks!

I can't find the resource path you mentioned... not sure what kind of extra settings are in there, but I get the feeling that Export Configuration is probably enough.

Might just have to reinstall SWS which I guess isn't a big deal.

Cheers
eclef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #4
serr

Clone your whole system drive before wiping. If you don't have a spare hard drive volume around, clone it to a disk image file. If you were keeping a clone on a backup hard drive already... say no more.

That way if something goes south with new installs, clone back to your primary drive from that backup and get back to work immediately like nothing ever happened.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote