Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
hrasco
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI Note Will Not Sound

I noticed a MIDI note was not playing during playback. I checked it in the editor and it had velocity and duration. I dragged it a half step up and a half step down and it played in each instance. I dragged it a bit to the left a couple of beats on the time line and it played. Same for being dragged to the right. I deleted it and re-drew it and it still will not sound. The song is crying out for an F# at that point. What might be wrong?
hrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
mschnell

Maybe a restriction of the trial version of a plugin ? E.g. the Pianoteq trial mutes certain keys.

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
hrasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschnell View Post
Maybe a restriction of the trial version of a plugin ? E.g. the Pianoteq trial mutes certain keys.

-Michael
Thanks for your reply. I own the plugin but I hadn't thought to try another. I'll give that a try.

The note sounds everywhere else in the tune just not in one short section during playback. I can get the silent note to sound by clicking on it in the editor but in playback it is silent. Other notes play above and below it.

-Hank
Old 12-13-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
DarkStar

Perhaps you could compress a simple problem project file (no audio samples needed) into a ZIP file and post it here as an attachment so that we can have a look at it and see what's (not) happening? And let us know exactly which note is the problem note.

How to post attachments (in Post #1)
Old 12-13-2018, 06:20 AM   #5
lunker

I have this problem occasionally, and it usually seems to be some kind of timing issue (not sure if the problem is with Reaper or with the VST). Usually, moving the note ever so slightly (often less than 5 PPQ) fixes the problem without causing any noticeable change in the sound.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 06:34 AM   #6
Geoff-h3o

Is it the wrong midi channel?
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #7
Dr Bob

^^^ that could be it … check in the event list view and see if there's a rogue midi channel number!

Also, if the VST is mono then an overlapping note can sometimes cause these issues!

dB
Dr Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
hrasco

Thank you all for your replies. I checked and channel was not the issue. While preparing a 'problem' project file to post I expanded the MIDI track and noticed the note did not show at all. It did, however, show in the MIDI editor. While dragging it right and left to see how far I had to move it in order for it to sound (nearly a full beat) it started sounding again when I drug it back to the original position. So it is fixed (yay) but I still don't know what the problem was. I am certainly concerned it may happen in the future.