Old 03-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #1
puke
Human being with feelings

Default Latest version of Mac OS

I have a mid 2012 macbook pro. Last time I started my mac it had a popup that stated I needed to contact yamaha about the driver because it was going to be out of date, or incompatable,..or something like that in the near future.

What is that about? Did everybody else see that popup? I don't run my daw very often so maybe this is old news and I am late to the party.
puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:15 AM   #2
bjohn

This support article will tell you what you need to know: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208436
bjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
puke

Now I really don't understand why I saw the message. I have never ran 32 bit to my knowledge.

I know my reaper is 32 bit. Is there something in the yamaha steinberg driver that is 32 bit? I'm not very knowledgable...except to know that 64 is twice as much as 32,..and that's about it.
puke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #4
cyrano

Computers used to handle data and instructions with 8 bits at a time. 8 bits is one character...

Then it became 16 bits, for speed. On to 32 and now every modern CPU handles 64 bits per tick. 8 characters.

To do that, not only the software needs to follow, but the hardware also needs to be "64 bit clean". Macs have been 64 bit clean for a while, hardware wise. Now the software needs to follow.

The MacOS system that comes after Mojave will probably not run 32 bit software anymore. So you'll need to install 64-bit Reaper soon. And you'll need a newer driver for the Yamaha.