Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for Video Editing/Mangling

Old 04-10-2019, 04:33 AM   #1
David Else
Human being with feelings

Default I made a utility to create proxy video files for Reaper video editing. Please test!

After reading this thread https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=207661 I decided something needed to be done to automate proxy video generation.

Also my video camera only outputs .MTS video which need to be converted to some other container to work.

These two things made me create the awesome `CPV - Convert and Proxy Video` utility. I am hoping it will enable proxy video editing in Reaper to be much easier and faster.

There are still a few niggles with the way the command line options work, but the actual conversion and file generation should be rock solid. It uses FFmpeg under the hood.

Could anyone try it and tell me if it is any help to them?

Especially I would love to know if anything is confusing / broken / could be improved. Any Bash coders also welcome to suggest any improvements. Cheers!

https://github.com/David-Else/cpv-co...nd-proxy-video
Old 04-11-2019, 03:14 AM   #2
Eliseat

Hi David Else,

as this is a very special topic, it would be helpful to see some more explanations. An example video or some screenshots. Maybe there are people out there who could be very interested in your script but just don't get the idea behind it.

If I understand it right the following aspects should be moved into focus.

- placing un-editable video files into editable containers like mkv
- creating smaller proxy video files for faster editing in Reaper
- sending the edits from the proxy to the original video files?

Please correct me if I'm wrong. And please try to "sell" your program a bit better because it would be a bummer if it wouldn't get the attention it deserves.

Greetings
Eli

Edit: And of course many thanks for sharing! (How embarrassing that I forgot it in the first version of this post.)

Last edited by Eliseat; 04-11-2019 at 03:35 AM.
Eliseat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 05:00 AM   #3
David Else

Cheers Eliseat, thanks for the feedback!

I did not know what video proxing was until last week, so I can see why people are not jumping on this script as it does not really sell itself yet.

I would like to make a full video or blog post on this, but it has taken so much time to write the script I really should do the work I am meant to be doing, Bash scripts are addictive, always a cleaner way to do something

I am soon embarking on making 2 Udemy courses and hoping to edit them all in Reaper. Once I have established a good workflow with the proxing I will be in a better position to write about it I think.

Did you try the script yet? I am hoping to get some user feedback, I have no idea what formats people are trying to edit. It would be nice to expand the set of default input file formats, but I need some people to try things they are doing in the real world and let me know how I can improve the script.

For example is assumes you want lossless output, that will use less CPU to decode, but with long files it might eat too much space... there is not much chat on video proxing options I can find as usually the application does it all for you.

Right now there is a bug if you want use -i and an input other than the default .MTS, so the logic needs looking at in the getopts switch. Just use the cpv -c .mp4 -a for other containers like mp4.

Do expect much better documentation in the future!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
stereolost

I'm one of those who are VERY interested in this feature, but i have absolutely no idea how to use what you've created...
I'll spread the in the russian-speaking reaper community. And really hope to someday see some explanation and how-to))
stereolost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
David Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereolost View Post
I'm one of those who are VERY interested in this feature, but i have absolutely no idea how to use what you've created...
I'll spread the in the russian-speaking reaper community. And really hope to someday see some explanation and how-to))
Is it using a shell script and installing FFmpeg that is the problem? What operating system do you use? I can make a quick tutorial for that and put it on the Github page...
Old 07-17-2020, 02:03 AM   #6
rasmusmarshagen

Hi, I’m also very interested in trying this. But I have no idea where to start. Could you make a tutorial on how to do this in reaper?
rasmusmarshagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:12 AM   #7
Restaurateur

In my opinion, the new Media Management features in Premiere Pro and Adobe Media Encoder give you much more control over how files are handled during the insertion process and provide more flexibility when working with large media files. Or, if you still want to improve your product and make the interface in it intuitive, I recommend taking a look at the shiftproxy.io pattern. Excellent proxy service with a beautiful control panel. Moreover, here you can add more threads to your plans.
Restaurateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:26 PM   #8
papagirafe

Maybe I did not get the idea right, but a lot of vp presets, if not all, are resolution dependant. Using a small resolution proxy video would destroy the final result with full resolution sources. I am working on new library of presets that uses proportional sizing but even that there are cases where you need specific resolution.
What did I miss?
papagirafe is offline   Reply With Quote