Old 09-08-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
jm67
Human being with feelings

Default Comping Midi takes

I'm sure this is an easy one, but something is messing me up...

I want to comp multiple midi takes across a time selection, such that each take appears as a new, additional lane within the midi track, similar to take behavior with audio tracks. But no matter what I do, the new notes are either overdubbed on or replace the existing take.

What I have enabled:
"Record Mode: Time Selection Auto Punch"
"New Recording that Overlaps Existing Items" -> "Splits Existing Items and Creates New Takes"
Recording mode "Midi Overdub" (have tried "Midi Replace" also)

I looked at the manual, but didn't see an obvious example of what I want to do...
Thanks,
jm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #2
juliansader

Try enabling "Free Item Positioning" for the track.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Joe90

I struggle with this too. You can also set item mix behaviour to 'always mix' either globally in project settings, or individually per item by selecting them and pressing F2. However if you do it globally then your audio will always mix too.

I do think there should be a option to make all midi items 'always mix' by default. Or even if we could set item mix behaviour per track, then at least we could save that into the individual track templates for our VSTi's.

It makes overdubbing and merging midi items cumbersome too.
Joe90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:58 PM   #4
Joe90

Regarding overdubbing (not what you asked I know, but might be helpful) - there is an option in the TCP recording menu for 'monitor media while recording' (or something to that effect) which I found more useful than the overdub mode, which always puts whatever you're playing directly into the item you're recording over, rather than making a separate item. I have this on by default for all my VSTi track templates.
Joe90 is online now   Reply With Quote