Old 03-29-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
tjingboem
Human being with feelings

Default surround plugins

Hi all,
i have to create a 5.1 surround sound field for a movie.
I cannot find surround plugins, like a surround compressor or limiter for the Master track.
Any recommendations?
tjingboem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:48 AM   #2
JamesPeters

There is a 5.1 Channel compressor / limiter which is a js plug-in, so it runs on any operating system that Reaper will run on.

If you don't already have ReaPack installed, I recommend doing it. That is how you can get this plugin as well as many others and a lot of useful scripts.

https://reapack.com/

Follow the instructions on how to install. Then follow the instructions on how to add the repositories to it. The repository in particular that has the plug in is known as SonicAnomaly. The plugin is named HBC 5.1 hybrid bus compressor. There is a 2-channel version as well.
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
tjingboem

the site SonicAnomaly cannot be reached i'm afraid.
I did find find the github page by googling: https://github.com/Sonic-Anomaly/Son...ster/index.xml
but this link is not accepted by the Reapack Manager.

Is there another way to get the plugins from there into Reaper?
Old 03-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
JamesPeters

You didn't read the instructions for how to install the repository into Reapack, or didn't use the link provided on the Reapack page. The URL you pasted into that post isn't the repository link you add to Reapack. I just checked, and the proper link (this) is in fact still active and still works in Reapack.

Also: you may have to close and re-open Reaper after adding the repository link.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:29 AM   #5
tjingboem

Yes, now i better understand how to work with the repos from https://reapack.com/repos. I was clicking on the name: SonicAnomaly JSFX and found 'This site can’t be reached'. The other names did show their repos, SonicAnomaly JSFX did not. This confused me a bit...

The link to be copied 'https://github.com/Sonic-Anomaly/Sonic-AnoJSFX/raw/master/index.xml' works like you mention.

Thanks for checking the link and helping me out.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:42 AM   #6
JamesPeters

You're welcome! With any luck those plugins will serve you well. I think they sound pretty good.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM   #7
tjingboem

Is there a surround reverb plugin for Linux that works in Reaper?

Last edited by tjingboem; 04-02-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjingboem View Post
Is there a surround reverb plugin for Linux that works in Reaper?
You might give this a try. It is a convolution reverb but if you have surround impulses it should work.

https://www.audiopluginsforfree.com/hybridreverb2/

Also, U-He Uhbik has a reverb and ambience module in it that is capable of up to 8 channels. Not sure how suitable it will be for a film mix but might be of use.

https://u-he.com/products/uhbik/
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:30 PM   #9
Fergler

In a pinch if there is a plugin you really like you can make it surround by linking all the needed parameters across multiple instances and changing the pin routing for each. A lot of work, but if you wanted to use ReaVerb for example that would be a good approach. You could also just manually move all the sliders on each instance of course.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:34 AM   #10
tjingboem

that's a good idea- that way whatever effects could be set up in an surround environment...inspiring!
...i'll check out how to link parameters and do some experiments.
Thanks!
Old 04-03-2020, 09:49 AM   #11
JamesPeters

Also for something like surround reverb based on stereo plugins working together: you'll probably want to rout the signals to each stereo reverb instance in a way that's sensible. For instance you wouldn't rout your front channels to just the reverb set as your front stereo pair; the front audio channels should probably also send to the rear channels even if to a lesser degree (and vice versa).

In any case it would probably work well, and saving the entire setup as an effects chain is easy to do. Effects chains remember the settings for parameter linking and routing, so the setup of the chain would only have to be done once.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #12
tdc

An important point to consider with immersive speaker arrays is correlation.

If you are going to multiply up a reverb algorithm to generate a surround reverb, make sure they are different settings or algorithms.
tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:19 AM   #13
tjingboem

I unsure on how to set this up...
I found that in Reasurround, when i move the source going towards the lower half towards the Rear, the volume drops in the Send Outputs.
So the Reverbs set up for the Rear do not get any sound.

I would like to use the Speakers (output) of ReaSurround, but i don't think it works like that in Reaper. (see attachment)
I need something like an XY field, where the corners represent the 4 different Send Outputs (see attachment, taken from another program)

How can this be solved in Reaper?
Attached Images
File Type: png outputsReasurround.png (12.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: png XY.png (869 Bytes, 93 views)
Old 04-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
PMan

This might work for you:

https://kawa.works/reascript-gui-sec...eter-morph-4x4
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 04:28 AM   #15
tjingboem

i think that might be the way to go, PMan.
I have no idea how to get this working thou, looks complicated to set up.

I'm sure that, once it is set up correctly, it is perfectly logical but atm i can not make heads and tails of it

I'll keep on trying in tiny doses...thanks
Old 04-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
PMan

Default Yeah, it's a strange but powerful beast!

I thought it was a simple 4 corners/4parameters kind of thing, but it's much more than that!

At first I couldn't get it to do anything, but here's how it works:
For each of the 4 corners, you can set multiple parameter *values*. You set an FX parameter to the value you want for a corner, then click the corresponding button (4 corners, 4 buttons: A, B, C & D). You can set the values of multiple parameters from different FX, as long as the FX are all in the same track.

So you could for example, set your volume, reverb, and EQ parameters for a sound source for each corner, and it will morph all of those parameters according to how you move the little circle in the X/Y matrix. Wow!

I only noodled around with it enough to actually make it change some parameters... My computer doesn't have enough horsepower to try what I imagine it can do, but it does work. But... it won't do anything until you have parameter values set *in all 4 corners*. It will act like it hasn't stored anything, until all 4 corners are set. Then it does it's magic!

I can imagine using that thing to create some serious spatial FX, like when a sound source is moving towards the back, decreasing the volume, increasing the reverb volume and early reflection time, and rolling off the high end in the front channels. If you have a hot rod computer, that *should* be possible.

Another feature, you can write the parameter changes that it does to envelopes. There is a toEnvelope button that is supposed to make that happen. I say "supposed to" because I didn't test it.

I'm super curious about this plugin; I have neither the computing power nor the surround system to really put it through it's paces, but please let us all know how it works for you!

BTW, I used google translate to read the instructions. I translated each bullet point and saved all the translations to a text file. There are minimal instructions provided, but still better than nothing!
PMan is offline   Reply With Quote