Old 06-26-2015, 04:51 AM   #81
Mercado_Negro

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxliniere View Post
Hey Airon,
I've just made the switch to R5 now that it's feature frozen.
Thanks so much for this great tool!

I'm looking to replace EvilDragon's colour toolbar, so I would like to use an alternate version of this script which displays only 16-20 pre-determined colours that cannot be changed. What would I need to do to create this?
I'd also like to be able to name those colours (drums, bass, guitars, FX...). I recall you had that functionality in the early version of this script, right?

Also, is there a way to make this script automatically open on startup of REAPER?

Thanks again!
I would use a script like that for sure. A swatch tool with custom colors only would definitely fit my workflow much better.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #82
airon
Human being with feelings

OSX 10.6. Ok, I'll pass that on. Any other OSX versions ?

A list of predetermined colours is possible of course. I just chose to switch that particular feature off for now.

Included is a preset like that in the script itself which recreates a version of colour swatches featured in Protools. I'll see what I can do about enabling that. It's just uncommenting some code and making the colour list preset the default.

Might need more work though, since the mouse modifiers would still be there. You are of course completely free to modify the code however you see fit. All you need is to hit the EDIT button in the action list for that script. Remember to keep a clean copy handy and save often.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #83
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by airon View Post
Detects the selection focus and indicates this in the top row with a TRACK or ITEM text highlighted in red
Doesn't work when you create a new track by double-clicking (the track gets autoselected then). By comparison, when you create a new item via mouse-dragging it in, it works.

Would be cool if you could make it so that you could continuously change colors while holding mouse down and going over the various swatches. Currently you need to click around all the time.

Having an option to reset the track/item color to default (not just the palette) would be extremely handy, too.

Hell, I'll probably retire that toolbar of mine for this.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 AM   #84
daxliniere

Quote:
You are of course completely free to modify the code however you see fit. All you need is to hit the EDIT button...
...aaaand know how to code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Would be cool if you could make it so that you could continuously change colors while holding mouse down and going over the various swatches. Currently you need to click around all the time.
Not a bad idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Having an option to reset the track/item color to default (not just the palette) would be extremely handy, too.
Yes, that'd be great.

Another question: So, this can detect focus, but it currently can't change focus, can it? I clicked the Track and Item text a few times and it seemed to do nothing.
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #85
airon

The focus changes depending on what thing you click on in the arrangement or track panels(MCP and TCP).

The actual text highlights are just indicators.

The continuous change is a nice thought but I'll look at that at a later date. Maybe other folks will try a hand at it. This does what I need it to, but the reset to default colour might a good one to do right away.

Last edited by airon; 06-26-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #86
Lawrence

Nice.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:38 PM   #87
daxliniere

Quote:
The focus changes depending on what thing you click on in the arrangement or track panels(MCP and TCP).

The actual text highlights are just indicators.
Since we have actions to change focus, I reckon it would be great if we could click on those indicators as well. Obviously if no item is selected, it can't switch from track to item, but there's pretty simple logic to solve that.

Also, what happens if I want to colour both? EvilDragon's script works that way.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:09 PM   #88
hopi

second the motion for continuous change [If I was a scripter I'd try but I'm more of a spinkter...lol]

reset to default IS a good idea too...

I'm really liking this tool... it's changing my way of thinking about coloring tracks and items.

Along with the other script actions to copy and paste the color of a track\item it really is making for a new way of doing coloring for me.

I just made a toolbar icon [large] just for this lua

https://stash.reaper.fm/24401/toolbar_Swatch_Lua.png

EDIT: seems like you have to clk the link, see the image in a new window then rt clk on that to save image as... I don't know why the stash is not letting me just download the png file directly

Last edited by hopi; 06-27-2015 at 08:10 AM.
hopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #89
airon

Quote:
Since we have actions to change focus, I reckon it would be great if we could click on those indicators as well. Obviously if no item is selected, it can't switch from track to item, but there's pretty simple logic to solve that.

Also, what happens if I want to colour both? EvilDragon's script works that way.
Those were the rare cases for me so I only covered the "last-clicked on" stuff.

The logic is already in place to do that though. The variables track_apply and item_apply are queried on whether they're 0 (don't colour that) or 1 (colour that). Then the selection is checked and coloured.

To manually change the targets, instead of automatic, you need a click zone defined for each target, TRACK and ITEM that needs to be checked on each pass.

Simple, but I probably won't be doing that. I have enough other things to take care of right now.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #90
airon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
second the motion for continuous change [If I was a scripter I'd try but I'm more of a spinkter...lol]

reset to default IS a good idea too...

I'm really liking this tool... it's changing my way of thinking about coloring tracks and items.

Along with the other script actions to copy and paste the color of a track\item it really is making for a new way of doing coloring for me.

I just made a toolbar icon [large] just for this luahttps://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1577/to...Swatch_Lua.png

the stash is not letting me properly manage the file right now so there is no description... maybe later
The file seems to be borked in some way. I can't get anything but the overview thumbnail in the recently uploaded files overview of the stash.

I'll probably reduce the number of swatches and increase their size for my own use. It's rather easy to do. Here's the default preset :
Code:
generate_colour = 1 , -- 1-> generated colours, 0->colour list included in preset
saturation_max = 0.102 ,
saturation_min = 1.000 ,
luminance_max = 0.93 ,
luminance_min = 0.49 ,
sw_max_x = 26 ,   -- how many swatches horizontally
sw_max_y = 8  ,   -- how many swatches vertically
sw_w = 18     ,   -- swatch width
sw_h = 14     ,   -- swatch height
sw_border = 1 ,   -- empty around the swatches
bg_r=0 ,
bg_g=0 ,
bg_b=0
Just edit the variables and rerun. Right now only the saturation and luminosity boundaries are editable from within the colour swatch window, but a simple text change may give you what you need.

Shane runs his Protools selection from a colour list. It's in the script as well, but commented out further down.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #91
hopi

just edited my post #88

so hopefully you can get the png file for a toolbar...

Airon... I tried to edit sizes and number of swatches as you pointed out..

tried for 16 swatches horizontal by 8 vertical
and for a swatch size of 36 by 36 [yes really big]

So I get that display but then something gets wacked because only the upper level of them will actually change the track\item colors...

Also a question: Let's say we set of swatches that we want to use 'forever'... is the only way to save that by editing the lua script as a one of 'presets'? Ummm I guess that really would be to edit the default preset, right?

Or... is there any possible way to arrive at a setting and then save it as a preset???
Old 06-27-2015, 04:34 PM   #92
airon

The script saves the last state in Reapers external state file, and THAT is reloaded even when you edit the script.

To get your chosen settings, hit the Reset To Default function, close the window and restart it.

Sorry about that. I'll fix it.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #93
airon

Quote:
just edited my post #88

so hopefully you can get the png file for a toolbar...
Got it. looks great.

Quote:
Also a question: Let's say we set of swatches that we want to use 'forever'... is the only way to save that by editing the lua script as a one of 'presets'? Ummm I guess that really would be to edit the default preset, right?

Or... is there any possible way to arrive at a setting and then save it as a preset???
You'd need to write a preset system that keeps its data in the Reaper external state file.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:12 PM   #94
hopi

thank YOU airon... for this script and the ongoing conversation...

I do understand the feeling... when you have taken something to serve the purpose you intended and the damn users keep asking for 'gimme more...gimme, gimme, gimme' ... I don't really mean to be that way at all.

I am totally grateful for this lua [someone should name their lua Ow so we could have a Luau... ]

It's just that I like it so much, it calls up these other ideas. But as I've mentioned, ... I'm not a script - ture kinda guy] ...gimme some graphics and I can almost play.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #95
daxliniere

Quote:
thank YOU airon... for this script and the ongoing conversation...
I am totally grateful for this lua
Me, too.

Quote:
You'd need to write a preset system that keeps its data in the Reaper external state file.
Or you could just have multiple versions of the script on disk, right?
Old 06-28-2015, 02:28 PM   #96
airon

good idea
Old 06-28-2015, 05:55 PM   #97
Lawrence

That thing ^^^ is so nice. I was inspired by it to try to add some color functions to my other daw, but it's certainly not on that level. There's only so much you can do without an API..

Old 06-29-2015, 06:58 AM   #98
hopi

oh my Lawrence ...that looks durn nice! So how is that done? Is it something we can get from you???
Old 06-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #99
daxliniere

OMFG, that's amazing, Lawrence!
What's your other DAW, BTW?
Old 06-29-2015, 07:54 AM   #100
Lawrence

I made that for S1. It's part of a standalone add on (because of no API). Here's the thing though...

- It could be created for Reaper as an extension or script and work much better here. The only way to pull that off in S1 is via the SetCursorPos API automating color selection. I had to locate the color selector box in the inspector and then loop / map / tag all of the color boxes coordinates on the flyout to map all 88 colors. A lot more work than selecting the colors in Reaper.

- Because of no API the "use condition" is that the Inspector has to be open (and the track list closed) to hit the target.

- There (again, no API) you can only target track colors, not individual media item or marker colors.

- The GUI parts might be difficult with a LUA script, maybe less so with extension, but the basic approach is straight forward enough. The benefit of doing it in Reaper is that (unlike S1) you'd also be able to customize all of the colors in the editor drop down.

So yeah, that concept would work much better with Reaper's or Vegas's scripting.

Re: Vegas, although .Net scripting in Vegas has been depreciated, that entire toolbar could probably be easily converted to a C# Vegas script.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-29-2015 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:15 AM   #101
hopi

thanks for that explanation Lawrence... I was thinking it was a reaper thing... my bad...

It would surely be a very kewl tool for reaper, if I'm understanding it correctly:

What I think I'm seeing is that you can select from various colors that will auto color certain tracks which you can define by the track name. Is that correct?

I have to leave the scripting to those that can do such magic... since I am a total scripting dunce.

One thing I can imagine ... IF this tool can ever be made for reaper, is that instead of autocoloring specifically named tracks, such as bass, vox, guitar, etc., it would auto color all tracks with "xxx" as part of the track name... so that, we could autocolor any track with 'vocal' or 'guitar' as part of the name.... so that vocal 1, vocal 2, vocal choir, etc. would all get the vocal color... right?

I can't script but I can dream...
Old 06-29-2015, 08:19 AM   #102
Lawrence

Quote:
thanks for that explanation Lawrence... I was thinking it was a reaper thing... my bad...
Oh, sorry. I tried to make that clear in the other post...

"I was inspired by it to try to add some color functions to my other daw."

Quote:
It would surely be a very kewl tool for reaper, if I'm understanding it correctly:
Sure, the concept or design would translate even better to Reaper.

Quote:
What I think I'm seeing is that you can select from various colors that will auto color certain tracks which you can define by the track name. Is that correct?
Not in S1, nope, it's click to color. In Reaper, yes, I suppose it could if there's a "validate" method for Reaper's track name fields that could fire a function to color by track name when you edit a track name, sure.

Quote:
One thing I can imagine ... IF this tool can ever be made for reaper, is that instead of autocoloring specifically named tracks, such as bass, vox, guitar, etc., it would auto color all tracks with "xxx" as part of the track name... so that, we could autocolor any track with 'vocal' or 'guitar' as part of the name.... so that vocal 1, vocal 2, vocal choir, etc. would all get the vocal color... right?

I can't script but I can dream...
Yep. Scripting opens up that kind of flexibility. Actually, I may be able to pull that off in S1 if track name fields can remain enabled while firing color functions, good idea.

But yeah, Reaper's scripting rules. That's why I posted that gif in case one of the script wizards wants to duplicate that design here.

Last edited by Lawrence; 06-29-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #103
hopi

>> That's why I posted that gif in case one of the script wizards wants to duplicate that design here.<<

thank you... Ok now we have to see who decides to pick up this challenge!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:22 PM   #104
airon

Included a link to Hopis great toolbar icon in both the first post of this thread and the Stash file.

Included a license statement that this script is public domain in the source code.

Commented out all the dbug messages. Removed some useless stuff.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:28 AM   #105
daxliniere

So here's a thought; I use a v4 theme and for years I have been bemoaning the fact you can't set ANY colour you want for things like track label area. You set your range by how light the grey you use is.

Has this been remedied in v5?

Last edited by daxliniere; 07-07-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:29 AM   #106
daxliniere

And what were the findings for my question about having a pre-set 16 colour toolbar with names for the colours?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:50 PM   #107
airon

Quote:
So here's a thought; I use a v4 theme and for years I have been bemoaning the fact you can't set ANY colour you want for things like track label area. You set your range by how light the grey use use is.

Has this been remedied in v5?
I'm the wrong person to ask. Anyone else know ?

Quote:
And what were the findings for my question about having a pre-set 16 colour toolbar with names for the colours?
One could do a tooltip popup over each swatch. I excluded pre-arranged colour lists in the current version because of the customization the user can do, but it could be reinstated, and all the customization blocked.

Remember you can keep multiple versions of this script around with ease. I'll see what I can hack up this morning. Stand by.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:55 PM   #108
daxliniere

Quote:
One could do a tooltip popup over each swatch.
That would be AWESOME. Thank you, Airon.

Quote:
I'll see what I can hack up this morning.
Just remember, if there's a lot of blood in it, you should see a doctor.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:59 AM   #109
airon

I cannot for the life of me get things to be drawn on screen.

None of the alpha variables are set to 0. It must be some fluke in the data. I've been unable to trace it as of yet.

If I pick the preset that uses generated colours, it all draws fine. All you need to do to test that is comment out the colour list preset and uncomment the top-most preset.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take a look, here you go. I'm not sure what went wrong. Hopefully someone can spot the bug that I missed.

The script is in the attachments.
Attached Files
File Type: lua Colour Swatch list.lua (38.0 KB, 463 views)
Old 07-08-2015, 04:49 AM   #110
heda

so strange.. something happened to me some time ago but I can't remember how I solved it.

if I put gfx.init("Colour Swatch", 800, 100) before colour_swatch_init(), just to test, it will draw things... I don't know why it doesn't initialize the window called from create_window()
Code:
-- ===================
-- == Program Start ==
-- ===================
---[[
gfx.init("Colour Swatch", 800, 100)
colour_swatch_init()
reaper.atexit(colour_swatch_exit)
reaper.defer(runloop)
--]]
maybe you don't need:
gfx.clear = -1
gfx.dest = -1 -- set default if not yet done

I tried to remove those lines but nothing...

I'll try to have a look at it with more time. Can't understand what's going on yet.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #111
airon

Placing another gfx.init where you said did the trick. For the time being that's ok.

The Colour Swatch list verison is here:
https://stash.reaper.fm/v/24525/Colou...tch%20list.lua

The name of the colour, from the colour list, will show up where the "Reset To Defaults" clickable area would be in the normal version that uses generated colours.

And the original version with generated colours is still here. The Reset To Defaults clickable area now initializes the whole window again. This helps when you change the number of swatches, their size or the size of the empty space between them in the script and reload it.

It will still read the stored configuraiton, but with the Reset click you can have it redrawn from the preset in the script, i.e. a fresh start.

https://stash.reaper.fm/v/24328/Colour%20Swatch.lua

For both versions, thanks to Xenakios tip, the track numbers on the MCP and TCP now update too, so they'll stay readable.

In the screenshot, the normal version and below the list version(with the Protools colour set that Shane provided):
The damn clickable help thing no longer works though. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: png colour_swatch_window_150708_Normal_and_List_version.png (11.5 KB, 1308 views)

Last edited by airon; 07-08-2015 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #112
daxliniere

Thanks so much, Airon, I'm configuring it now.

Can I suggest that user variables are move to the top of the script (and commented code is removed)?

Cheers,
Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM   #113
daxliniere

Err... what format is this: "0.080;0.138;0.640"

I have colours in 'WebSnap' (aka what SWS uses) and I've used software to convert them to HSL, RGB & CMYB.
What is this fractional format and can you integrate the Windows colour picker into this script?
Old 07-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #114
airon

Updated the scripts.

The user can now hit the ESC key to quit the script. Thanks for the tip via Justin in the pre-release thread. I never knew that 27 was the code for ESC.

Preset data has been moved closer to the top above all functions. Should be easier to find now.

Colour Swatch list version:

Colour Swatch with generated colours:

Quote:
Err... what format is this: "0.080;0.138;0.640"

I have colours in 'WebSnap' (aka what SWS uses) and I've used software to convert them to HSL, RGB & CMYB.
What is this fractional format and can you integrate the Windows colour picker into this script?
Those are normalized colour values, which means that they range from 0 to 1, instead of from 0 to 255. It's easy enough to produce with a spreadsheet if all you have are integer values of 0 to 255.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:09 AM   #115
daxliniere

Quote:
Updated the scripts.

The user can now hit the ESC key to quit the script. Thanks for the tip via Justin in the pre-release thread. I never knew that 27 was the code for ESC.

Preset data has been moved closer to the top above all functions. Should be easier to find now.

Colour Swatch list version:

Colour Swatch with generated colours:

Those are normalized colour values, which means that they range from 0 to 1, instead of from 0 to 255. It's easy enough to produce with a spreadsheet if all you have are integer values of 0 to 255.
Ahh, okay, will do. They're in RGB, though, right?

Thanks for that, Airon, and thanks for the above changes, too.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #116
EvilDragon

Hmmm. If I change title neutral and title activated colors, then change the focus from track to item and back, it kinda messes with those colors there (for TRACK and ITEM labels).

Try these: (1,1,1,1) for title neutral and (1,0.25,0.25,1) for title activated.

Weird!

Also, Reset to default now always moves the swatch window to (0,0), it shouldn't move it at all

Last edited by EvilDragon; 07-09-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM   #117
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Updated the scripts.

I'm just curious, does that mean any of the ASCII control characters can be used?

<edit> Never mind, I don't think that makes sense now.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #118
hopi

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1587/To...atch%20NEW.zip

a couple new toolbar icons for both of the new swatch lua's... the PT version and the normal version...

next post will add some random thoughts... thanks airon
Old 07-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #119
hopi

OK then... allow me to ramble on a bit...

we know I really like this script...
and yet, as I use both versions of it, I'm noticing things as it conjuncts with my normal theme.

My default TCP and MCP panels are both the same, very lightly gradients... just enough to not be snow white really... and to give a little bit of 3D look.

They do take colors quite well.

Now I notice that the colors in the lua swatches do not exactly color the tracks as they appear in the swatches. I know a little of that is because of the TCP and MCP panel png itself. But even given that, they do not seem to be a dead on match.
I notice this the most in the darker colors. A very dark blue being a color I like to use for bass tracks is one example.

I can easily set this color with the color wheel [color selector] however even though the swatch tool 'looks' like it holds a similar deep blue, it does not really color the track the same way.

So this got me thinking... [always dangersous]

What I like about the swatch tools mainly is the greater selection of [what shall we call them?] shades or tones of color than the 16 that the SWS tools provides. Now at the same time, I started wondering if it might be possible in lua to have a sort of combination of both worlds?

What I imagine that would be like is this:

Let's say we have 3 or 4 rows of swatches, and horizontally we have 22 or 24 [or whatever] divisions.

And then we could specify in RGB the exact color in each of those swatches. See? Sort of like a much larger SWS tool.

IF that was possible, then a fool like me could really pick and create their own very detailed palate ...right?

OK, I know that idea is different than this tool yet I wanted to ask...whatchtink?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:35 AM   #120
EvilDragon

You can already do that in the PT version, by defining different color codes instead of those used for PT versions. No?