Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 12:56 PM   #41
airon
Human being with feelings

Here in Berlin everything but supermarkets and chemists(Apotheke in German) will close down in the next day or two.

The goal here is to slow down the spread of the virus. Almost everyone is taking this very serious. Spain is keeping its citizens indoors, except for work and supplies.

Borders are now closed to all countries around Germany, except for people travelling to/from work and for transportation of goods.

It’s complicated and people are coming together to keep each other safe and help one another. A nice surprise.
Old 03-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #42
themixtape

Thank you!

Here in Montgomery County, PA (Philadelphia suburbs)... they closed all schools and gyms county-wide on Friday, for two weeks. Next up is bars and restaurants. They closed the King of Prussia mall (the non-essential stores, which are mostly in there)... etc.

I'm a music teacher and have to do lessons via Skype/video.. it's scary. I live week-to-week, as most of us probably do and losing a week of work is detrimental to my life. Might have to sell off some of my gear, sadly, just to make bills. Argh.

I hope everyone stays safe out there.... wash hands with soap and water (I ALWAYS do), don't go out to eat... get groceries (canned goods, etc)... this is scary stuff in the USA, let alone the rest of the world.

Sending love and positive vibes to all of you out there. <3
Old 03-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #43
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
The best source I've seen of collating info and good advice is from Dr. John Campbell, who updates every day and is a way better resource than the CDC:

The CDC is annoying: telling people not to buy masks is mistaken, people SHOULD be wearing masks *to prevent those around them from getting infected*.
'
FFS man arrogant or what - you believe some random nurse on the net compared to the CDC - just cut out the fake news ok This is a real global health emergency not some opportunity for aggrandising with pisshead bro science
Old 03-15-2020, 01:51 PM   #44
domzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
'
FFS man arrogant or what - you believe some random nurse on the net compared to the CDC - just cut out the fake news ok This is a real global health emergency not some opportunity for aggrandising with pisshead bro science
How is this fake news & how is the core advice he gives in this video different from the CDC advice?
(ie. wash your hands, stay away from people if you think you might have it, older people or those with pre-existing conditions are more at risk etc)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html
Old 03-15-2020, 02:03 PM   #45
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
How is this fake news & how is the core advice he gives in this video different from the CDC advice?
(ie. wash your hands, stay away from people if you think you might have it, older people or those with pre-existing conditions are more at risk etc)

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...revention.html
The fake news is dissing on the cdc as if some random nurse on the net is better - perpetuating the war on science that started with tobacco, got refined with climate change.

Chip gave a classic bro science claim that was quite different to saying "here is someone I like explaing what is going on"
Old 03-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #46
Dr Bob

For those in the UK, and others who might be interested … daily updated graphs … just look how it's taking off here …

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...0b19484dd4bb14

I'm in the over 70 group with "underlying health issues", so I am one step ahead of our government and am now locked down for as long as it takes. They are saying our group should stay locked down for 3-4 MONTHS!

Daughter moving to teach music via Skype or Facetime.

Have made our conservatory into her teaching room. Thoroughly cleaned and I will not enter there again until it's all over, or we have all got it and hopefully have some immunity. Bottled water + juice for those who need a drink, in disposable cups.

Again to all, PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY … it may be like a bad cold/flu symptomatically for most, but for people like me, it could go to the lungs and drown me.

I really MUST NOT get it …

Good luck all, we are all in it together. UK has 5000k ventilators - they think 8,000,000 might need hospitalisation before we are all clear. You do the sums ...

Jury is out on the notion of "herd immunity". 60% have to get it, which means a very high number of deaths - seems a typical Health Economics approach! Basically a cull!

dB
Old 03-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #47
domzy

Quote:
The fake news is dissing on the cdc as if some random nurse on the net is better - perpetuating the war on science that started with tobacco, got refined with climate change.

Chip gave a classic bro science claim that was quite different to saying "here is someone I like explaing what is going on"
whereas you are implying this Campbell guy isn't worth watching, while all he's doing is giving the same common sense advice as most other sources, including the cdc. Doesn't seem worth making a fuss about but i can probably agree that "here is someone I like explaining what is going on" is all that needs to be said.

(and i'd never heard the term "bro science" before - always up for learning something new though, so cheers for that)

Last edited by domzy; 03-15-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:37 PM   #48
tspring

The first COVID-19 case in the little town where I live here in Maryland was just reported a few minutes ago. My wife and I are now self-isolating.
Old 03-15-2020, 02:42 PM   #49
Coachz

Our local Planet Fitness gym is offering special memberships this month for anyone who joins. I'm going to take a hard pass on that
Old 03-15-2020, 03:43 PM   #50
mabian

All was said so far, confirming from Italy.

***Stay at home totally if you can*** to slow down the infection spread.

Take it seriously without panic, don't do like very dumb guys here that are not using their minds and just try to reach families at the opposite side of the country, giving spread a horrific spin (also increasing the risk to harm relatives).

- Mario
Old 03-15-2020, 04:04 PM   #51
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspring View Post
It is quite correct to say that we should not panic regarding COVID-19, but it is equally important that you do not underestimate the seriousness and complexity of the situation we are about to enter. You need a plan to begin acting upon now, not later.
Thank you, tspring, for expressing that so plainly, especially from someone with your learned background. Taking something very seriously does not mean panicking about it.

One example that was particularly mind-blowing to me was that a young person got an autograph from one of the NBA basketball players who was later found to have the virus, and that few second interaction alone caused him to contract it. It really does seem surreal. But we have to seriously do what is recommended.

And thank you for that link.

Take care, all my great friends here!!
Old 03-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #52
Coachz

Also, even though the young adults may have much more resistance, they need to also self quarantine and socially distance especially if they are in contact with older people who can catch it from them. My neighbor threw a big party friday night with not a care in the world.

Improvise

https://old.reddit.com/r/Justrolledi...sgf/improvise/

Last edited by Coachz; 03-15-2020 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #53
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabian View Post
All was said so far, confirming from Italy.
- Mario
Keep safe Mario, and let us hope that your good common sense will see you and yours thru this OK. All the best -

Geoff
Old 03-15-2020, 08:05 PM   #54
Eddy

Quote:
whereas you are implying this Campbell guy isn't worth watching, while all he's doing is giving the same common sense advice as most other sources, including the cdc. Doesn't seem worth making a fuss about but i can probably agree that "here is someone I like explaining what is going on" is all that needs to be said.

(and i'd never heard the term "bro science" before - always up for learning something new though, so cheers for that)
What i intended and did not express clearly enough is dont take advice from any random off the net, who may or may not be good, but instead go to reputable sources such as the cdc, hence the link i posted earlier.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 PM   #55
Glennbo

Quote:
dont take advice from any random off the net
I read that you should carry a pitch pipe with you so you won't start sliding notes because the Crooner virus makes you sing like Bing Crosby.
Old 03-15-2020, 08:31 PM   #56
pipelineaudio
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by themixtape View Post
I'm a music teacher and have to do lessons via Skype/video.. it's scary. I live week-to-week, as most of us probably do and losing a week of work is detrimental to my life. Might have to sell off some of my gear, sadly, just to make bills. Argh.
I'm setting it up so our teachers can teach remotely

We got our first confirmed cases on feb 1 but they were hidden by the Missile Button Governor. We should be drowning in bodies right now as most of the infamous cruise ships disembarked passengers here, but maybe the warmth thing is slowing it down, who know...Schools are closed tomorrow till april I think, but they still wont shut the DMV!

You guys stay safe!
Old 03-15-2020, 11:20 PM   #57
toleolu

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
We should be drowning in bodies right now as most of the infamous cruise ships disembarked passengers here, but maybe the warmth thing is slowing it down, who know...
I drove through Pearl City this afternoon, went past Pearl Ridge Mall. Less traffic than on a week day.

Playing golf tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:51 AM   #58
toleolu

Gettin pretty bad out there!!!

Old 03-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #59
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno.thestraws View Post
Here in Belgium, the government has taken strong and coercive measures. Schools are closed except for children of medical staff.
bras, pubs, restaurants, nightclubs, cinemas are closed.
Non-food or basic necessities stores can only open on weekdays.
All cultural, recreational events, concerts, parties, public or private are prohibited.
here in Beijing, we all work at home instead of going to office or studio.
I have wrk at home and stayed at home for like 2 month...
no place to go, everyday wake up / eat / wrk /eat /sleep ... (loop).

school / shopping mall / shops etc all shutted down untill the epidemic is over.

just like u said..
its a not just a regular flu.
plz be careful with it.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:36 AM   #60
todoublez

Quote:
Originally Posted by toleolu View Post
Gettin pretty bad out there!!!

wat the hell... seriously ?
tats an awful deal
Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #61
Glennbo

Everyone at once DO NOT sell your mutual funds and bonds!!!

Doing this will,

A. Probably lock in some big losses.

B. Force your fund manager to sell assets so they can pay you during a big liquidity crunch, which further exacerbates the problem and freezes credit lines much like what happened in 2008-09.

You've seen this movie before. Do you really want to see it again?
Old 03-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #62
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennbo View Post
Everyone at once DO NOT sell your mutual funds and bonds!!!
Buy, buy, buy. I've been buying stock all week.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:04 AM   #63
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
Buy, buy, buy. I've been buying stock all week.
I'll be buying some "total market" shares soon, but I'm going to give it another week or so to shake some of the last sellers out.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #64
karbomusic

RCL is down by $100 - will take longer for it to recover though.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:44 AM   #65
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
RCL is down by $100 - will take longer for it to recover though.
If you have a large window of time, it could be worth it, and could result in a bigger payoff farther down the road.

For a long time now I've wanted to add a good chunk of total market shares for the diversity. Looks like I'll be doing it soon. Glad I stopped reinvesting dividends in Jan 2018, coz now I got some money for the fire sale.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #66
chip mcdonald

Quote:
'
FFS man arrogant or what - you believe some random nurse on the net
He's on top of all of the data from multiple sources more than anyone else. If you - Mr. Random Person - don't have anything to add then you're behaving quite arrogant yourself.

Quote:
compared to the CDC -
The CDC isn't holy, has been way behind the data on many levels, and has been behind the curve in many ways.

Quote:
just cut out the fake news ok This is a real global health emergency not some opportunity for aggrandising with pisshead bro science
Maybe your Dunning-Kruger might ward off SARS COV2.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:56 AM   #67
ivansc

75 years old & I have reduced immune system efficiency after cancer treatment, also mild Emphysema and mild Bronchiectasis. Currently doing pulmonary rehab course & frankly I can`t afford to stay home all day and night. Also have the attitude that at my age, if my number`s up, it`s up.

The stupid part about self-isolation is that whatever you do, if someone in your household is going out to work every day & returning in the evening, it negates a large part of the reasons for self-isolation.
In my case, my wife drives an hour or so to work every weekday, eats in the company canteen and spends her day surrounded by others, then comes home to me. I on the other hand walk my dog in a local park, do the shopping at the quietest shopping times possible but still play gigs in nearby Cambridge. We are sandwiched between Cambridge with currently 7 cases and Peterborough with one, according to the link on here.
UPDATE - just canceled out tomorrows gig & likely to do the same with the rest. Getting kinda scary here, but mostly because of the damn selfish idiots who are srtockpiling everything at the expense of the rest of us. My poor dog is going to be out of food in a week or so unless I get lucky.

Last edited by ivansc; 03-18-2020 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:59 AM   #68
chip mcdonald

Quote:

You have no idea what I know about science, and you obviously did not look at any of his videos, and are offering nothing new in place of your random attack.

Bro.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 AM   #69
karbomusic

To be fair, when I saw/heard CDC advice it was that masks won't stop you from getting it but would reduce the infected from spreading it (obviously) and to not buy them all and cause a shortage for the wrong reason which hurts those who need them.

Prepare yourselves for constant onslaught of armchair/wrong advice. Treat it like any other contagious disease, triple check your sources and run like hell from "sound bites".
Old 03-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #70
Joe90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
75 years old & I have reduced immune system efficiency after cancer treatment, also mild Emphysema and mild Bronchiectasis. Currently doing pulmonary rehab course & frankly I can`t afford to stay home all day and night. Also have the attitude that at my age, if my number`s up, it`s up.
It sounds like you are in the HIGH risk category. You say you can't afford to stay home all day and night - but I wonder, if there were an anvil dangling over your head, and you know the rope would snap the moment you crossed a certain weekly spending threshold, meaning you had to find a way to seriously limit your spending for a few months, don't you think you'd find a way? Even if it meant reaching out to friends, family, neighbours or an institution for a loan? That is not far from the situation you are in, given your age and medical history.

I understand that the instinct to say 'well it's my life and my health, so it's my choice how far I want to risk it', but please think about the people in your life that care about you. I guess I'm thinking about my parents and grandparents (the ones I have left) and dread to think they would have a similar attitude to you. If none of that resonates with you, then consider the fact that when you get sick (which you most likely will if you don't self quarantine) and you are tied up on a ventilator, resigned to your fate, there will be three people waiting to use that ventilator who desperately WANT to live, but will die because it's taken up be someone who didn't want to miss out on the income, or be inconvenienced, so they caught the virus when they could have avoided it. This is not hyperbole, it is the situation in Italy right now.

My words probably sound harsh and judgemental, but they genuinely come from a place of caring. I have friends in some of the worst affected countries, and have heard first hand accounts of the destruction that this virus is causing. I've seen you posting around here for the last year or so, and you seem like a nice guy, so I'm just saying please be careful. I'm in the UK like you, and I'm certain that things are going to a get a lot worse here over the next two months.

Quote:
The stupid part about self-isolation is that whatever you do, if someone in your household is going out to work every day & returning in the evening, it negates a large part of the reasons for self-isolation.
In my case, my wife drives an hour or so to work every weekday, eats in the company canteen and spends her day surrounded by others, then comes home to me. I on the other hand walk my dog in a local park, do the shopping at the quietest shopping times possible but still play gigs in nearby Cambridge. We are sandwiched between Cambridge with currently 7 cases and Peterborough with one, according to the link on here.
Unfortunately, you are not really self isolating/self quarantining. You are social distancing, which is what we should all be doing, but considering your age and medical history, you SHOULD be self quarantining, meaning your wife should be withdrawing from work, ideally with sick pay, and you should both batten down the hatches, stay in, and do your shopping on Ocado. Easier said than done I know, but I expect Boris will be advising the same for everyone in your age group in the next week or two anyway (most other countries are shocked we haven't implemented more of these measures already).
Old 03-16-2020, 11:22 AM   #71
zeekat

Quote:
Hey, even if you have this attitude towards punching out, remember there's people that might regard that as a bad move. For example, I'd be left here with all those bores. So protect yer lungs

But have to admit the whole thing eats into my sanity too. Every once in a while I think I came to terms with the entire situation. But then the next day I wake up anxious again, afraid what I will read in the news and have to spent the rest of the day convincing myself world will at least return to its standard 2019 level of shittyness at some point. Hope the tide will be turned soon coz it's really eroding my nerves.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:32 AM   #72
karbomusic

All you fkers have no excuse for not practicing and proverbial woodshedding during this - pop quiz when all this is over so get on it.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #73
domzy

never heard of woodshedding - that's two new terms i've learned from this thread today, cheers!
Old 03-16-2020, 11:59 AM   #74
toleolu

Just drove to Waikiki and back in about 45 minutes.

This time of day, that's normally an hour and a half, two hours if any construction or an accident.
Old 03-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #75
karbomusic

Quote:
never heard of woodshedding - that's two new terms i've learned from this thread today, cheers!
I suppose you looked it up so yea, you guys get on it! I am!
Old 03-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #76
Dafarkias

Guess this means I'll have to cut back on random sex...

Support my feature request!
Old 03-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #77
Alistair S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafarkias View Post
Guess this means I'll have to cut back on random sex...
Not at all ... but it might be more lonely.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #78
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Absolutely! I certainly did not wish to imply that alcohol based sanitizer is the best option. The article my post links to makes it clear that soap and water is best. Sanitizer can still be helpful though when soap and water is not available.

But my point is to avoid at all times those hand sanitizers that don't have alcohol because they are no use at all.

Thanks for helping to clear up any confusion!
I've been looking around and I find a lot of articles saying that benzalkonium chloride and other non-alcohol sterilizers are suspected to be "less effective" but I haven't found anything saying that they are useless... ?
Old 03-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #79
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
I've been looking around and I find a lot of articles saying that benzalkonium chloride and other non-alcohol sterilizers are suspected to be "less effective" but I haven't found anything saying that they are useless... ?
Useless against virus? I guess they're not so effective, so it's risky to use them, no?
Old 03-16-2020, 05:04 PM   #80
karbomusic

Bleach should do a good job.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...infection.html