Old 04-02-2020, 12:06 PM   #1
Jimmy James
Human being with feelings

Default DIY and vst mods

I know there are some programs out there that will let you make your own vst plugins. I don't want to write code or dive deep into this stuff. It just seems fun to be able to make myself some plugins to use.

Does anyone have any programs that they recommend? I would prefer simple and good, if that is even possible.
Jimmy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Fergler

Mods of open source stuff happen all the time in audio, but there isn't much open source for VSTs. Reaper JS is probably the greatest example, maybe MaxDSP as well.

In games you have to have the SDK from the developer (Quake engine, Half-life, as examples) to make good progress, otherwise you are limited to editing external assets or injecting code using 'code hooks'.

A lot of games provided this to their communities which is why you see so many mods available.

ReaPlugs comes with a JS wrapper for using JS plugins in VST hosts other than Reaper. So you could build your own plugs that way. Of course, there is a lot to learn. But you could start by modifying existing plugs.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #3
zeekat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy James View Post
Also, why don't we see any Waves MODS? I have been gaming on PC since the late 90s. I have seen some of the most amazing mods over the years.

the Waves Kramer HLS. The Treble knob goes from 0 to 4. This is usually to far. Why don't folks make a mod that installs a 2? Or even more? Is this just to complicated or has Waves made it impossible to do such mods?
Not a programmer, but I'm guessing it's because it's:
1) closed source
2) not designed to be modular/possible to change (like some video games which have modable files out in the open)
3) illegal (or at least some license breaching)
Old 04-05-2020, 02:12 AM   #4
C-H

Synth Edit.