Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 08-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #1
mikeypee
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper Linux - no 32 bit VSTs (wine; linvst or airwave)?

Is there something special I need to do, to get 32 bit VSTs running in Reaper for Linux? I've finally gotten a good amount of 64 bit plugins to work, but all the 32 bit ones aren't being picked up. This includes the 32 bit companion dlls that sit alongside the 64 bit working version.

Last edited by mikeypee; 08-16-2017 at 02:35 AM.
mikeypee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:48 PM   #2
Jack Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypee View Post
Is there something special I need to do, to get 32 bit VSTs running in Reaper for Linux? I've finally gotten a good amount of 64 bit plugins to work, but all the 32 bit ones aren't being picked up. This includes the 32 bit companion dlls that sit alongside the 64 bit working version.
Do you mean 32b linux plugins, and if so why? Are there linux vsts that are only 32b? If so, I don't think that is a scenario that has been considered yet..
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Jack Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:34 AM   #3
mikeypee

oh I'm sorry. I meant to say 32 bit windows plugins, to run inside reaper linux via wine. I'm still only able to get 64 bit windows VSTs to run, for some reason.

Just as an example, I have Obxd placed in a directory, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions using LinVST, but only the 64 bit version shows up. Same deal when trying to use airwave.

I only have a couple 32 bit windows vsts but I don't want to give up on them.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:13 AM   #4
Jack Winter

Quote:
oh I'm sorry. I meant to say 32 bit windows plugins, to run inside reaper linux via wine. I'm still only able to get 64 bit windows VSTs to run, for some reason.

Just as an example, I have Obxd placed in a directory, both 32-bit and 64-bit versions using LinVST, but only the 64 bit version shows up. Same deal when trying to use airwave.

I only have a couple 32 bit windows vsts but I don't want to give up on them.
To be honest I don't know as I never tried it. At least older lin-vst versions ought to be able to do it, but I think osxmidi changed something lately that makes it impossible, I'll let him fill in the details.

AFAIK, carla also ought to be able to load 32b plugins.
Reaper for Linux Documentation (WIP). Software: Archlinux/KDE, Fabfilter FX, Komplete 8, Nebula, Schwa/Stillwell, T-racks Max/Amplitube/SVX, etc. Gear: i7-2600k/4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, Genelec 8040, etc. :)
Old 08-16-2017, 03:19 AM   #5
osxmidi

Quote:
I dropped 32 bit vst support with the latest version (1.22) and I'm working on a new version that I'll have up within a few days that will include 32 bit vst support.

I've been redesigning LinVst and part of that was the temporary dropping of 32 bit support but it will be back very soon.

What happened was that someone (aha! good one) changed the glibc code so that the routines LinVst 1.22 is using were not compatible for 64 bit programs (linvst.so) communicating with a 32 bit program (lin-vst-server32.exe).

But I've got 32 bit vst's working again and it should be released very soon.

Last edited by osxmidi; 08-16-2017 at 03:35 AM.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
mikeypee

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
I dropped 32 bit vst support with the latest version (1.22) and I'm working on a new version that I'll have up within a few days that will include 32 bit vst support.

I've been redesigning LinVst and part of that was the temporary dropping of 32 bit support but it will be back very soon.
Oh my goodness, this is great news. Awesome, thank you.

Hey by the way, people like you are gods and I salute you. I've been trying to pull myself together enough to get a useful FOSS project going for at least a year now, but stumble thinking of a worthy project and to find the time. Same goes out to you, Jack Winter! Although in my defense, I did revive a render farm project for Blender called "Loki Render" to github recently, but that only took like 1 line of code to fix and it's not audio related anyway lol
Old 08-16-2017, 03:28 AM   #7
mikeypee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Winter View Post
I think osxmidi changed something lately that makes it impossible, I'll let him fill in the details
By the way, he replies 6 minutes after your reply ... do you have a bat signal or something?
Old 08-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #8
Jack Winter

Quote:
By the way, he replies 6 minutes after your reply ... do you have a bat signal or something?
Not really, but maybe it comes from being bat crazy
Old 08-16-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
mikeypee

Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
osxmidi

32 bit vst support is back in LinVst 1.5.
osxmidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #11
mikeypee

Quote:
Originally Posted by osxmidi View Post
32 bit vst support is back in LinVst 1.5.
Yes!!!!!!! I can't wait to try it out. Awesome man!