Old 10-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #201
MonkeyBars
Human being with feelings

Update:

All the major bugs are fixed! But we want to get some key features added before release, specifically actual unglue (not just open and edit) and handling left-edge edit pooling, both of which are pretty considerable and require even more refactoring to get done efficently, which I'm currently doing.

We've already got Smart Glue/Edit actions working beautifully and will have Smart Glue/Unglue as well. I think this script is going to be a must-have in every Reaper user's repertoire!
MonkeyBars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 08:04 AM   #202
MonkeyBars

What we've got now is a solid alpha, with no bugs other than some undo weirdness and an intermittent thing.

However, we want to make sure to deliver a really great product, and the original script had some very annoying fragilities that require too much attention from users (changing take name & ungrouping items breaks the script). So we want to solve those issues to make for an excellent user experience on final release. It's going to take some extra time, but that will make a really big difference to us Reaper users day to day.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:10 AM   #203
Lynx_TWO

Outstanding! I love it when coders really take the time to explore what users do and mistake-proof things. Really satisfies my lean six sigma training
Lynx_TWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 02:31 PM   #204
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx_TWO View Post
Outstanding! I love it when coders really take the time to explore what users do and mistake-proof things. Really satisfies my lean six sigma training
Haha yes we are very thorough in our methodology. My project manager @Julian has wanted this feature for years and we're working together to make sure everything from the UX to the code, documentation, and nomenclature are spot-on to create the very best experience for Reaper heads from the start. This is no toy!
Old 10-30-2021, 01:03 AM   #205
ivansc

Been munching popcorn watching you doing this excellent work on Matthew`s original script. So pleased that you are close to a beta!

A big thankyou in advance from a coding Luddite.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:02 PM   #206
MonkeyBars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
So pleased that you are close to a beta! A big thankyou in advance from a coding Luddite.
Our pleasure!

Just trying not to fall prey to scope creep now...
Old 11-01-2021, 11:47 PM   #207
imbalon

Wow, I can't wait! It would be super-duper!
imbalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #208
MonkeyBars

Thanks for your support, Imbalon.

I'm the only developer and I run a media company full-time, including composition, production, and mixing for our content, so time is scarce to work on this. I ask for your patience while we work through these intensive refactors, bugfixes, and feature rollouts before the official release.

Because Matthew had iterated Glue Groups to v1.0, the final release of my completed version will be 2.0.

Dev roadmap:
As you can see below, the list of undone items is pretty extensive.
  1. Currently I'm eradicating grouping entirely from the UX, as it provides no value.
  2. After that, I'm going to be completely refactoring how data is stored in the items – Matthew used take names to store vital container data, partly due to ReaScript limitations 6 years ago. The API has come along nicely since then, so I should be able to store data safely in item & project metadata. (In fact, I've already begun storing more data in the project, which works brilliantly.) Taking all that stuff out of item names will mean you can rename containers without breaking functionality.
  3. I'm not fond of the empty container created by Matthew's Glue Groups when you open up a container to edit it. Currently I'm leaning toward using regions to control glued container length, but I might retain the old empty container UX as an option. I want to do that before release as well.
  4. To round out the full functionality, it's a must that I introduce a full Unglue feature, missing from Matthew's script. I.e., totally reverting your glued items to the normal consituent items no longer related in a glue pool. Naturally we'll also have corresponding Smart Glue/Unglue scripts along with that.
  5. Audio item pooling is an amazing feature already present in the script from Matthew's code, but a user doesn't always want to pool containers. So I'd like to introduce a toggle option to enable/disable pooling by default.
  6. This then prompts the need for a dedicated options window for the new script group along with the corresponding toggle scripts. Too many options in Reaper are hidden away and we want to avoid that flaw assiduously.
  7. Pooling can be quite complex, so it would behoove us to introduce a dedicated pool info window that provides a full accounting of all pools and their items. I don't think it's possible to add a Project Bay tab in script, so this will be a simple floating window that displays the current pool data for you.

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 11-19-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:19 AM   #209
Lynx_TWO

This looks to be pretty amazing. Hopefully, Reaper can implement all your hard work in a future build as I suspect lossless gluing of tracks is, by far, preferable over the current system of generating an intermediate file.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:22 AM   #210
MonkeyBars

Quote:
current system of generating an intermediate file.
What does "intermediate file" refer to?
Old 11-08-2021, 01:21 PM   #211
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
What does "intermediate file" refer to?
So, right now, if you glue a file in Reaper, it generates a new combined Wav file instead of simply showing the file “glued” together in Reaper.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:26 PM   #212
MonkeyBars

Quote:
So, right now, if you glue a file in Reaper, it generates a new combined Wav file instead of simply showing the file “glued” together in Reaper.
Ah ok

My script does that too, but when you open up the glued item to edit, then reglue, it throws out that old audio and replaces with the new one.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #213
Lynx_TWO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
Ah ok

My script does that too, but when you open up the glued item to edit, then reglue, it throws out that old audio and replaces with the new one.
Ahhh gotchya
Old 11-24-2021, 09:51 PM   #214
MonkeyBars

Update: Completed a major refactor today. That should make all future work easier, quicker, and more efficient! Still a ways to go though. Hang in there friends

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 11-25-2021 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 05:12 AM   #215
andyp24

Really looking forward to seeing the results of this. Will be so useful.

Thanks for your work.
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:31 AM   #216
MonkeyBars

Thanks for the encouragement, Andy.

Now that the main refactor is done (mostly breaking up the huge spaghetti main doGlue() function), I'm at the phase of deep rearchitecture. Data is being stored in all the wrong places that create fragility in the UX and are unnecessary workarounds now that the script API has a lot more powerful functions to allow script devs to store data. Matthew did an admirable job considering the limitations back in 2015, but it's time all of that got sorted out properly.

Still haven't got to #1 above lol...

Last edited by MonkeyBars; 11-26-2021 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:07 PM   #217
MonkeyBars

Actually #1 was way easier than I thought! I actually much prefer how the selection process works now; it's much more familiar as a Reaper user simply to select the items you want to glue/reglue rather than have then grouped for you, preventing easy edits etc.

Everything else is much harder though lol. Matthew really left a lot of important detail out of his project, mostly having to do with accounting for user actions between runs of the scripts.

Currently cleaning up all the position offset stuff before I move on to 2 & 3.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #218
ovnis

Hi,

Any news?
ovnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 01:13 PM   #219
MonkeyBars

Well, the code was giving me headaches so I decided to move forward with a complete nomenclature overhaul AND do 2 & 3. I swept through and tried to implement it all. It's a lot for over 1700 lines of code, and now I'm going through and finding all the flaws. But after this I'll have a superb launching point to begin adding the features necessary to reach my beta.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #220
MonkeyBars

Meanwhile Mespotine found an API bug that affects this. Hopefully they can get it fixed before release, as it is a blocker for this project and would necessitate an unpleasant workaround UX.

Edit: Good news. This is a minor corner case and doesn't block this project at all. Probably would never come up.

Last edited by MonkeyBars; Yesterday at 05:09 PM.