Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 10-10-2020, 05:54 AM   #1
juan_r
Human being with feelings

Default Allow the user to type exact values

Hello, maybe there's something I'm missing, but in several places in Reaper I'm not able to input exact values, so I've got to rely on mouse drag - possibly with the improved resolution provided by ctrl-dragging.

I would like to be able to enter exact values by typing. Ideally it would happen everywhere, but the places I'm missing most are:

- MCP and TCP pan

- Media Item Properties: Volume/Pan

Maybe there could be a mouse modifier to click anywhere and just get an input dialog. This would give the user fine control over everything.
juan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #2
Klangfarben

Big +1. For MCP and TCP volume faders as well. So used to doing this over the years it has become engrained. Still feels awkward to have to bring up the routing window first - or do imprecise mouse dragging (even with fine control).
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
Meo-Ada Mespotine

+1 as probably helpful as accessibility feature as well.

On vacation for the time being...
Meo-Ada Mespotine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 05:15 PM   #4
valy

It would be nice. For now I've mapped the following actions to toolbar buttons as a workaround:

Xenakios/SWS: Set volume of selected items

Script: spk77_Set volume for selected tracks.lua

Script: spk77_Set pan for selected tracks.lua
valy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
Hello, maybe there's something I'm missing, but in several places in Reaper I'm not able to input exact values, so I've got to rely on mouse drag - possibly with the improved resolution provided by ctrl-dragging.

I would like to be able to enter exact values by typing. Ideally it would happen everywhere, but the places I'm missing most are:

- MCP and TCP pan

- Media Item Properties: Volume/Pan

Maybe there could be a mouse modifier to click anywhere and just get an input dialog. This would give the user fine control over everything.
I do not need it, at least not for volume. Why? There are great actions whiuch can change in dB levels, 1 or less. I am using those, works perfectly. You can take those which you need more, bigger or smaller steps. I guess I have right now step size of 1 db. Just hit the key a few times and it gets louder, same in the opposite direction. Great for precise mixing. The biggest advantage is, I wrote this already long time ago in this forum, you do not need to see any tcp or mcp at all, you can do your mixing via mouseovering directly on the arrange, mouseover, hit your keys, which will trigger some custom action like:

PHP Code:
CustomVOLUME DOWN 1 dB
  SWS
/BRFocus arrange
  Track
Select track under mouse
  Script
me2beats_Nudge selected tracks volume down by 1 db.lua

Custom
VOLUME UP 0.5 dB
  SWS
/BRFocus arrange
  Track
Select track under mouse
  Script
me2beats_Nudge tracks volume up 0.5 db.lua 
I have set it on purpose non-symmetrically, going down quickly then from there going up again in smaller steps. You could define any variant you prefer instead.
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 AM   #6
juan_r

I haven't found an action (or an editable script) to set item pan at an absolute level. Maybe I'm just being daft.

However, my feature request seems reasonable: I think we should be able to enter exact numerical values wherever a numerical value makes sense. The hit and miss game with the mouse is tiring.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:51 PM   #7
bigboipete

Huge +1

This is a major shortcoming. I couldn't even believe it is not there. To have easy and precise access to the mixing levels and pan is a core feature for a DAW. Depending on the resolution and UI layout this is currently not very handy just shoving faders/knobs with the mouse.

And UI-wise it's pretty easy to put in, because the double-click to "reset" is for both, levels and pans, redundantly implemented - on the control knob/fader and on the current value itself.

So, double-click on the value would be the perfect place to get an input option and type the desired value.
bigboipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #8
Meo-Ada Mespotine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboipete View Post
So, double-click on the value would be the perfect place to get an input option and type the desired value.
I agree, as well as an action to edit the last touched parameter value, for accessibility reasons as visually impaired ppl probably can't see, where to click at.
So scripts who allow "touching" a specific parameter and then editing it via this action would be scriptable.
Could be very helpful for more accessibility access.

Old 10-26-2020, 01:11 PM   #9
TonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by juan_r View Post
I haven't found an action (or an editable script) to set item pan at an absolute level. Maybe I'm just being daft.

However, my feature request seems reasonable: I think we should be able to enter exact numerical values wherever a numerical value makes sense. The hit and miss game with the mouse is tiring.
Track: Nudge track pan left/right changing in 1 % steps, but this is relative and not absolute.

And this: Xenakios/SWS: Set volume and pan of selected takes... ?
TonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #10
juan_r

Right @TonE, thanks! I was looking for "item" rather than "take". Not as easy as double clicking for sure, and it takes either a shortcut or some toolbar real estate.

That's why I still think it would be a good idea to have this behavior natively. I would like (almost?) any numerical parameter to be accessible by typing. There could be various reasons. Mespotine makes a sensible point about accessibility.
Old 11-07-2020, 03:52 AM   #11
bigboipete

I consider myself on a good average level using mouse/touchpad, but Reaper really gives me a hard time putting in the exact values, I want. Many times the value changes a few cents even on releasing the mouse button or touchpad.

That's not the state of a pro-like DAW, I expect, that you most of the time just get an approximation of the mixing values you require for a mix.

To me it has nothing to do with "you won't hear a huderedth of a dB". It's about precision and far away from perfect, if I have to fiddle around with my touchpad, needing two or three tries to get e.g. two guitar tracks on the exact same spot on the left and right pan position.

And because setting precise mixing values (with an average convenience) is such a core feature, I think it's also a valid expectation to not have to "hack" things myself to get it straight.

So again, while getting deeper into Reaper, to me this is the only and major flaw it has.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #12
Meo-Ada Mespotine

I would add, that such an editing field should allow arrow up/down for altering the value relatively in small steps an shift-up/down in bigger steps.

So if you missed the correct value with clicking by a delta of a 0.01 step, you don't need to type the new value but just alter it using arrowkeys.

It should also show the old value beside it, as some values are difficult to remember.
So if I have 2.900464570 and would like to alter it to 3.000464570 I can use the old value as typing reference.
It's also sometimes faster to type the value completely new than editing one, especially with a. in it.
This makes things a little more faster and more fluid.

The inputbox must, of course, have the old value editable as well, so you can alter only one digit while keeping the rest.

Old 11-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #13
deeb

Plus one ! This is needed not only for volume or pan but for every parameter.

Ex: double click point opens dialogue to input value or an option to set this input always visible somewhere in transport panel ! And when focus on up /down increment/decrement bigger values and shift + down/up for smaller values
Old 11-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
lexaproductions

For volume and Pan, the reaconsole of often overlooked. If fast and convenient when you learn how to use it.
1- select your track(s)
2- Hit c to bring it
3- type “V” and your volume value (High Case to set, lower to offset)
4- enter.

Can all be done in less than a second.

V- Volume
P- pan
lexaproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:11 AM   #15
ivan.lt

+1 of course!
ivan.lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:21 AM   #16
bigboipete

@lexaproductions Your suggestion seems to be the closest so far, but for such a tiny piece of editing, even just one (or two depending on how you count) extra steps are not appealing to me.

The need to bring an input field up is redundant and additionally the usage of V is also lagging work-speed - especially if you're used to the numpad. I still consider double click on the current value, enter the new value, hit enter (or click somewhere) is unbeatable fast.

And actually I'm still a bit stunned, that this is not yet available. So, I again want to second this feature-request.
Old 12-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #17
deeb

Quote:
@lexaproductions Your suggestion seems to be the closest so far, but for such a tiny piece of editing, even just one (or two depending on how you count) extra steps are not appealing to me.

The need to bring an input field up is redundant and additionally the usage of V is also lagging work-speed - especially if you're used to the numpad. I still consider double click on the current value, enter the new value, hit enter (or click somewhere) is unbeatable fast.

lexaproductions suggestion has the merit of being faster then editing the RPP and Write the value with the text editor.

Quote:

And actually I'm still a bit stunned, that this is not yet available.
yep - this things /$%&$%"#Y&/($&TRGDFD#%"#%
Old 06-30-2022, 01:50 AM   #18
bigboipete

To bring this up once more with an unbeatable quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeb
please take care of the small workflow details ...
This feature can't cost much implementation effort, but will bring a great portion of convenience.
Old 06-30-2022, 12:36 PM   #19
creal

So basic and handy feature

+1
creal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 08:54 PM   #20
twonky

+1
twonky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 07:56 AM   #21
lexaproductions

BTW,
In the TCP and MCP, if you click on the routing icon, you can enter values there. The volume is selected by default, so:
1-you click the icon
2-you type the value
3-you hit enter twice

Voilà
Old 07-10-2022, 08:03 AM   #22
Klangfarben

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexaproductions View Post
BTW,
In the TCP and MCP, if you click on the routing icon, you can enter values there. The volume is selected by default, so:
1-you click the icon
2-you type the value
3-you hit enter twice

Voilà
Yes, we are aware. And not at all ideal.
Klangfarben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 08:05 AM   #23
lexaproductions

Just trying to provide "in-the-meantime" alternatives to get the job done.