Old 03-20-2018, 06:26 PM   #1
Sal1
Human being with feelings

Default GETTING HARDWARE TO WORK

Hello everyone, I am really confused about using hardware with Reaper, I have quite a few sound modules,synths/keyboards,some effects processors, etc. And of course I'm trying to get them to work with Reaper, now before I chose Reaper I looked into THINGS on different forums,blogs, etc. And I found out that Reaper is pretty complicated, but WOW I mean I'm trying to get going and I just keep finding myself in struggle after struggle but not about to give up, because I love what Reapers about and what it has to offer and probably has more tutorials and stuff to help users more than any daw out there.
To move forward, I've only set up very few pieces of hardware so far to avoid myself ANYMORE confusion, here's some insight, I'm currently running Windows 10,have a behringer UMC 404hd as my audio interface, the Motu midi express XT usb as a midi patch Bay,and m audio axiom air 49 as my controller,just using one sound module right now the Proteus 2000. So here's how I'm hooked up: behringer midi in and out going to the Motu,the Proteus 2000 to the midi in and out of the Motu,and the Axiom air via USB to PC and also Midi out of the Motu coming to midi in of the controller,I've called behringer and Motu and they said it was right. So the other day I've had things hooked up differently and was getting a midi signal coming from my axiom controller to my Motu patch Bay led display was lighting up,but there was still no signal or sound in Reaper, Now I am not getting any signal to the Motu at all, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver's for the Motu and the firmware but still nothing, what's even more strange is that before I was able to open clockworks now I can't and when I spoke to Motu they said my unit is to old to use clockworks, but why did it open just a day ago and not now ??? Any way watched the tutorials on YouTube and tried all different routing configurations, and I'm learning but still lost, enabled what I needed to in the preferences menu and fooled around with tracks routings but IM definitely screwing up somewhere, probably in a few places, LoL. If anyone could give me some pointers that would be great, BTW sorry for the long post, but I want to be as thourough as possible so I don't confuse anyone else, Thank you
Sal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:33 AM   #2
solger

Basically you have two options to integrate an external synth (keyboard):

- ReaInsert: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKEc0bYwJe8Re
- MIDI Hardware Outputs: www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ1iHnkqiXA

It's probably a good strategy to disable all MIDI in/outputs under Preferences > Audio > MIDI Devices first to start fresh. And then taking one step at a time

In general, check your MIDI connections first:

o) PC <--> [USB] Behringer [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] MOTU [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] Proteus
o) Proteus [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] MOTU [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] Behringer

In this case enable the Behringer MIDI in/outputs in Reaper's MIDI Device Preferences.
------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise it might also be possible to connect the MOTU directly to your PC by using just the USB-cable (so you don't need the MIDI cable connections to the Behringer).

o) PC <--> [USB] MOTU [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] Proteus
o) Proteus [MIDI OUT] --> [MIDI IN] MOTU

In this case enable the MOTU in/outputs in Reaper's MIDI Device Preferences.
------------------------------------------------------------

In addition, if you want to record Audio Output from a Synth, you'll also need an audio cable connection to your audio interface: Synth [Audio OUT] --> [Audio IN] Behringer

Quote:
...and the Axiom air via USB to PC and also Midi out of the Motu coming to midi in of the controller...
For now, connect the Axiom Air only via USB-cable.

Since MIDI (to/from the Axiom) is already transmitted via USB-connection, the additional MIDI cable connection shouldn't be necessary ...

EDIT:
Quote:
before I was able to open clockworks now I can't
I don't know the MOTU, but according to the manual: if no MOTU device shows up in Clockworks, make sure that the MOTU is connected via USB cable: http://motu.com/techsupport/manuals

Last edited by solger; 03-21-2018 at 05:05 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Sal1

Ok solger thank you, I'll be able to get to the configurations you've given me tomorrow, BTW, even though I have my behringer interface hooked up directly to my power amplifier as so are my monitors, do I still need to get Audio via 1/4 cable from each individual sound module and keyboard ? Because that's where I'm getting sound from,Thanks again
Old 03-22-2018, 03:03 AM   #4
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal1 View Post
BTW, even though I have my behringer interface hooked up directly to my power amplifier as so are my monitors,
do I still need to get Audio via 1/4 cable from each individual sound module and keyboard ? Because that's where I'm getting sound from
In general, if you want to record the audio output from the hardware device (synth, sound module, etc.) - then yes.

If you're only using a MIDI cable connection, you would need to insert a virtual instrument on a Track in Reaper in order to generate audio (from the MIDI).
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 PM   #5
Sal1

Hello solger, here's how i made out from the configurations that you've given me, I followed your directions but I wasn't getting any sound from my proteus 2000 sound module to my controller or a midi signal. I'm probably guessing it was something that I did wrong so I got frustrated and tried something else.I Used an old line mixer that I have to get more audio channels,and the Korg ms 2000 synth to make the initial setup easier, made progress but there are still some things that are wrong, here's what I did:
Went from my monitors to inputs of my amp to main outs TRS of Samson pl1602 line mixer r/L input TRS to r/l main outs TRS to behringer UMC 404hd interface to PC via USB, from samson mixer r/l input TRS channel 1 to r/l outs TRS of Korg ms 2000,
from MS 2000 midi in/out,out/in to Motu exp XT to chan 2,from Motu USB to PC (no midi) I am receiving a midi signal and audio, as well as recording midi and getting audio on playback, but it is all happening on one track, not 2 like I'm supposed to set up(tr1 midi,tr2 audio)as seen in hardware tutorial,I have midi input set to Port 2 on mxpxt(Motu)on all channels and routing track 1 to midi HARDWARE output port 2 Motu send to original channels
All of the routing stuff is definitely confusing me in order to get external hardware to work,even though I am making progress I am still very confused because I'm going to use alot of hardware to work with when I finally get the basics down in Reaper, plus more analog synths which I know is gonna be even more of a Problem, just very frustrating, please let me know what you think and thank you for all of your help
Old 03-26-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
solger

Quote:
... I am receiving a midi signal and audio, as well as recording midi and getting audio on playback, but it is all happening on one track, not 2 like I'm supposed to set up(tr1 midi,tr2 audio)as seen in hardware tutorial,I have midi input set to Port 2 on mxpxt(Motu)on all channels and routing track 1 to midi HARDWARE output port 2 Motu send to original channels
Have a look at the attached .RPP project file which is set up to record the incoming MIDI on Track 1 and Audio on Track 2.

You might have to adjust the following settings to your setup:
- Track 1: MIDI Input channel
- Track 1: Routing-Panel > MIDI Hardware Output

- Track 2: Audio Input channels

Quote:
All of the routing stuff is definitely confusing me in order to get external hardware to work,even though I am making progress I am still very confused because I'm going to use alot of hardware to work with when I finally get the basics down in Reaper, plus more analog synths which I know is gonna be even more of a Problem, just very frustrating
Yeah. In general, learning a new software always involves a certain learning curve (which is usually a little bit more time consuming in the beginning). But when you get the basics down once and know how to set up the routing of one device, setting up the other devices becomes easier

It was the same for me, when I first started using Reaper
Attached Files
File Type: rpp hardware-synth-audio-midi.rpp (2.5 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by solger; 03-26-2018 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 08:29 AM   #7
solger

When you have the routing set up and working for a certain device, you can also save it as Track and/or Project Template for future use. More info here: https://www.reaper.fm/videos.php#EXvjh7FASMo
Old 03-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
Sal1

Thanks for the info Solger,didnt get a chance to try the last things you mentioned to me, and I'm trying to open the file you sent but it will not open. still having some issues, but trying to get along and trying to understand more about the way Reaper works from the user manual, obviously my main issues right now are I/O's and routing, etc, don't know why I'm such problems, but I'm definitely doing something wrong
Old 03-29-2018, 07:13 PM   #9
Sal1

I know I'm jumping around here but sometimes I'll stop for a minute from what's giving me a Problem and learn a different feature as I try to move forward. I've watched a couple of tutorials on importing from samples via CD ROM and everything went fine, but can't seem to get them to play from my controller, even though I'm getting a perfect signal,able to hear it when I click on it,fine when I put it in toggle mode and it records and plays back one note, and yes my plug-ins are coming through my controller too, I don't think it would be a controller issue because my plug-ins wouldn't be producing sound either, but I could be wrong, thanks
Old 03-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #10
Sal1

Got it, I had to use the reasampleomatic5000 but still can't listen to the samples before I load them in there. Not sure if this is the way but it's definitely working !
Old 03-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #11
Sal1

Do I have to re map each individual sample to play on the keys/pads that I want them to respond to on my controller ? Was watching re-mapping midi notes-drum pads, Kenny gioia's tutorial,but not sure if this is the way I should do it,thanks
Old 03-30-2018, 01:21 AM   #12
solger

Quote:
... I'm trying to open the file you sent but it will not open.
Which Reaper version (number) are you currently using (and if it's 32- or 64-bit)?

Did you already try to open the .RPP file via the menu: File > Open Project?
And what does 'will not open' mean exactly? Like are there any specific error messages shown when trying to open the file? Or is there a different problem?
Old 03-30-2018, 01:27 AM   #13
solger

Quote:
Got it, I had to use the reasampleomatic5000 but still can't listen to the samples before I load them in there.
Where or how exactly are you trying to listen to the samples (before loading them in there)?
And what's the (audio) file type of the samples?

Quote:
Do I have to re map each individual sample to play on the keys/pads that I want them to respond to on my controller ?
Basically, yes.

In reasampleomatic5000, each sample has a MIDI note range (note start, note end).

So as example, if you want that a specific Audio Sample is only triggered by MIDI Note C1 on your controller: Set Note Start: C1 / Note End: C1.
More info here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJD7aNzSmO8
Old 03-30-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
Sal1

Oops, totally my fault as far as the rpp file you gave me,I didn't realize I had to open it with Reaper, I initially opened it up on my phone and then tablet, I guess I was tired. I have to download it to a flash drive or send it via Bluetooth to my pc, because I don't go online with the same computer that I use for reaper/music I'm keeping everything separate because I don't want to get any viruses,and so on, for it is new
As far as the samples I'm trying to import they are all wave files on CD ROM
And I'm just trying to preview them before I import them buy clicking on each sample but not getting audio,when I did import them,they do assign themselves to the every key on the controller, for instance one single kick, will be on every key,then when I import the snare, then that will be on every key, I would like to have an array of drums that I choose on each key, I used the reasampleomatic for this, maybe there is an easier and better way of doing this. And I would like to have the samples on hand for easy access similar to what I've seen in the tutorials
I'm currently using Reaper 5.7/x64bit with Windows 10,I didn't update it yet, thanks Solger
Old 03-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #15
Sal1

Wow that video by Kenny you gave basically answered the questions I've just asked you, made things alot clearer, great ! thanks
Old 03-31-2018, 01:56 AM   #16
solger

Quote:
As far as the samples I'm trying to import they are all wave files on CD ROM
And I'm just trying to preview them before I import them buy clicking on each sample but not getting audio...
Easiest way to preview samples is probably inside the Media Explorer (accessible via the View menu): www.reaper.fm/videos.php#jxU-opt5ycU

Quote:
Wow that video by Kenny you gave basically answered the questions I've just asked you, made things alot clearer, great ! thanks
OK, great
Old 04-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #17
Sal1

Hi Solger,I've been meaning to ask: when trying to install certain free vst plug-ins I keep getting an offline message in Reaper, it has happened with TAL BASSLINE, and with the FB3300 synth download, I tried transferring the download file via Bluetooth,flash drive, and even went online with my main desktop where Reaper is installed and downloaded the file directly,which I never do because of virus reasons. I've done some research and there have been others with this problem,some said it was a Reaper settings issue, or a Windows issue I am currently trying to find an answer to this while writing this post to you on how to fix this issue, any of your help would be great as always, thanks
Old 04-25-2018, 07:30 PM   #18
Sal1

Solger, please disregard my last post I've figured it out, was something in win 10 I didn't realize, thanks
Old 05-04-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
Sal1

Default installing a plugin

hi Solger, for some reason im having another problem installing a plugin, it is 112 db morgana sampler, ive installed the setup wizard succesfully, but when i i choose to add it in options - preferences, browse files choose it from my program files close ot of reaper go back in add virtual ins, it does not come up, ive tried it quite a few times but no luck,it is an iso file and i am using win 10,an d i cant figure out what im doing wrong. any suggestions would be great, thank you Solger
Old 05-05-2018, 12:52 AM   #20
solger

Hi Sal1,

make sure that the Morgana VST plugin is selected during installation and check to which plugin folder the VST plugin is installed to ('Choose VST Location' step during the install process).

This is the plugin folder which needs to be added to Reaper's VST Plugin path under Preferences > Plug-Ins > VST (in case the folder isn't already listed there).
If the correct plugin folder is already part of the VST plugin path, try doing a [Clear cache/Rescan].

EDIT: If necessary, launch the Morgana installer/setup wizard again to check available install options and paths. You can find some info about installing Morgana here: https://www.112db.com/plugins/instru...structions.pdf

Last edited by solger; 05-05-2018 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #21
Sal1

hi solger, ive done all you've advised me to do with morgana but it seems to be the final step that im having the most difficulty with, and that's when all is installed with morgana the patch is generated with the key gen license, and says is generated successfully, but when im choosing the path with in reaper pref, choosing morgana,clear cache it never appears in virt insts, the only time it appeared was once and said offline, and that was before i even mounted it with virtual clone free iso reader, realized i needed another program in order to use morgana, later, i know im basically there but missing a step with pointing to the folder where ive installed the vst plug in, this is where im screwing up. very confused, first time with an iso file, hope to hear from you
thanks, Solger
Old 05-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #22
solger

If you haven't already, try doing a general search on your computer for the Morgana.dll VST plugin file (to double-check into which folder it was installed to).

By the way, since you mentioned .iso file: from where did you download this morgana installer? Because the Windows installer from the product page has .exe as file extension ...

Last edited by solger; 05-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:43 AM   #23
Sal1

Hi Solger, finally got it to show up in Reaper but it isn't working I think I might have to reinstall the set up wizard,and that should do it I hope.
And as for the iso file I've noticed the same thing, an aquantance of mine at local music store gave it to me on a flash drive,I was mentioning to him that I was looking into getting a real software sampler that actually can sample and when I said Morgana he told me that he had it and gave it to me. I didn't ask where he got it from though...
Old 05-08-2018, 09:33 AM   #24
domzy

You mentioned a keygen file as well, which seems to suggest you are trying to install bootleg software? Apart from the morals of this, it seems a bit strange that you are trying to maintain a virus-free system by not going online, but are perfectly happy to install potentially dodgy software.
I'd advise you to keep things simple until you know what you are doing with regards to installing etc. -
domzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 03:53 PM   #25
Sal1

Hi, I'm so new to plug-ins that I didn't even know a keygen was for
Those type of things, (innocently) or else I probably would have never mentioned it in my post, but as I said it was given to me,with other samples, etc. So I gave it a try, that's all. And you had mentioned that I'm perfectly happy with that type of thing, I don't see what gave you any inclination that im happy about anything as far as that goes, at this point I'm too new to plug-ins to even say I'm at any type of comfort level using them yet, so please in all kindness do not assume things prematurely, thanks for your concern, ✌