Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 PM   #1
Archimedes
Human being with feelings

Default Superior Drummer 3

Spent the day downloading & installing the full boat.

It's great!

Stand-alone is having issues with my Lynx AES16e pair. But running within Reaper hasnt surfaced any issues.
Archimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
Pinknoise

Downloading !! It's gonna take a while !! The upgrade price is good considering all the new stuff coming with it !
Pinknoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #3
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinknoise View Post
Downloading !! It's gonna take a while !! The upgrade price is good considering all the new stuff coming with it !
I'm extremely happy with it. I love that I can define a kit piece and load my own samples behind it. I also love that I can mix and match kit pieces - much like BFD3.

Very pleased with this upgrade. Lookung forward to exercising the various surround features, mixer features, etc.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:47 AM   #4
ivansc

I have just the basic library installed on my laptop and it is more than adequate.

Full monte on my Studio desktop and the variety of options is still mind boggling even after the months I have spent playing with it.

And don't you love the new graphics in the SDXs?
Old 09-13-2017, 04:09 AM   #5
Judders

I can't wait to upgrade. Just gotta wait for some invoices to come in!

One thing that I'm not so sure about is the MIDI mapping tab. Doesn't look as clear as SD2.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:18 AM   #6
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
I have just the basic library installed on my laptop and it is more than adequate.

Full monte on my Studio desktop and the variety of options is still mind boggling even after the months I have spent playing with it.

And don't you love the new graphics in the SDXs?
I do love the updated graphics! It's going to take me a couple of months to fully appreciate the changes, and the significant increase in features and functions. I know I'll be tempted to go back and re-mix some of my work. As it is with any major update/improvement, there's going to be a learning curve. Sometimes that's a pain worth avoiding - but so far, SD3 has inspired me to learn as much as I can about it - especially if it helps me move away from other other products on which I've relied in the past.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #7
Pinknoise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
I can't wait to upgrade. Just gotta wait for some invoices to come in!

One thing that I'm not so sure about is the MIDI mapping tab. Doesn't look as clear as SD2.
It seems pretty good. You can move the handle on the right side of the window to go to zones where keys are used. Those zones are hilighted in blue. What's neat is that you don't have to go to mapping window when a drum piece is selected there is a little window showing it's mapping in the drum view.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM   #8
DaveKeehl

I really want to upgrade from SD2 to SD3 but it's way too expensive for me at the moment. Maybe for Christmas xD
Old 09-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
EvilDragon

I upgraded.

It's amazing.

Over and out.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
thequietroom

The upgrade is gonna happen here too. Toontrack stuff has been awesome for me. All of it. Probably take me a week to download.. but its gonna happen.
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 02:49 PM   #11
Judders

Quote:
It seems pretty good. You can move the handle on the right side of the window to go to zones where keys are used. Those zones are hilighted in blue. What's neat is that you don't have to go to mapping window when a drum piece is selected there is a little window showing it's mapping in the drum view.

Yeah, I like that you don't need a separate tab, but the horizontal keyboard was good because it represented what was in front of me. We'll have to see how I find it when I upgrade.

I'm trying really hard not to blow my budget for the month on this!
Old 09-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
Pinknoise

It's true it felt more obvious they traded that for quicker use I guess.
I think SD2 was my most used plugin it was on every single songs I composed or mixed. Chances are SD3 will beat it ! :-p
Old 09-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
Archimedes

I like some of the kit pieces in competing products. FXpansion's BFD, for instance has a decatom kit that I like a lot. And of course there are Latin and world percussion pieces in all of them. I use a lot of percs, and so I use a lot of products because none of them have everything. But SD3 gives me the option of consolidating, and that has me giddy.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
Liquid Fusion

Waiting for the Black Friday sale - Sweetwater - will with upgrade for 25% of what it is now
Liquid Fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 10:56 PM   #15
jazzmandan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Waiting for the Black Friday sale - Sweetwater - will with upgrade for 25% of what it is now
Ditto that....
"significantly better than bad..." - Dell XPS i7, 16G Ram, Win 10 64Bit, REAPER 64Bit, MOTU Audio Express, PG Music - BIAB 2020, Kontakt 5, more VSTs than I know what to do with. Will trade all to play the guitar and keys better!
jazzmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:54 AM   #16
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Fusion View Post
Tooooo long! Can't wait
Old 09-14-2017, 01:03 AM   #17
ivansc

Those of you with SD2 who bought SD3: Hope you have updated all your SDX kits!

And fwiw some of the EZX kits show up very different in SD3 now.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #18
EvilDragon

Quote:
Actually EZX kits never had special graphics in Superior. So they all get the same generic black shells.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #19
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Those of you with SD2 who bought SD3: Hope you have updated all your SDX kits!

Can you upload a screenshot? I'm very curious. I may upgrade to SD2 for the interface alone. The drum sounds don't impress me very much so far.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:47 AM   #20
ivansc

mario: Latin Perc is totally different so is er um Dream Pop and the Nashville kit.

As far as I know this was not a particularly deliberate decision and I doubt thy will update the whole EZX range, but the ones they have done are rather nice, especially Dream Pop.

Last edited by ivansc; 09-19-2017 at 03:52 PM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #21
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathByGuitar View Post
Can you upload a screenshot? I'm very curious. I may upgrade to SD2 for the interface alone. The drum sounds don't impress me very much so far.
Are you saying that you DON'T already own SD2?

Assuming the answer is "yes", at least part of the reason for you not being impressed by SD2 basic sounds is because in SD1 2 and now 3 you get raw sounds with presets, but to get the best out of them you have to treat the samples like actual recorded drums. There ARE plenty of good presets but you get the best out of them by how you decide to treat them.
SD3 takes it a lot further in terms of giving you a helping hand, but you still need a little more expertise than when using EZD2, which present you with a usable sound selection out of the box.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:54 AM   #22
Judders

I'd pay good money to get the Twisted Kit updated with more round robins!
Old 09-14-2017, 12:21 PM   #23
DeathByGuitar

Quote:
Are you saying that you DON'T already own SD2?

Assuming the answer is "yes", at least part of the reason for you not being impressed by SD2 basic sounds is because in SD1 2 and now 3 you get raw sounds with presets, but to get the best out of them you have to treat the samples like actual recorded drums. There ARE plenty of good presets but you get the best out of them by how you decide to treat them.
SD3 takes it a lot further in terms of giving you a helping hand, but you still need a little more expertise than when using EZD2, which present you with a usable sound selection out of the box.
I meant upgrade to SD3. Typo. I have a few EZX's i use and I'm curious as to what they look like in SD3. And I mean I'm not really impressed by what I'm hearing drum-wise from all the clips and videos I've seen from SD3 because they mostly sound like they're going for big, boomy, low-tuned drums. But whatever. I've still got my Allaire/Hit Factory custom kit that sounds better to me than anything so like it matters. That new interface alone looks like it's worth the $200.
DeathByGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM   #24
viscofisy

Asking for a friend ...

● I notice you can import your own samples. But can you import velocity layers and round-robins?

● What about brushes and mallets? The SD3 webpage says :
Quote:
Optional tool selection available on select kits and instruments (sticks, brushes, rods, felt mallets)
Can anyone tell me what that means in real terms ( ie in the core library provided).

● Lastly - what are the big benefits of SD3 over BFD3?
As I've no need for metal or heavy rock drums, would either SD or BFD be better for natural sounds?
Does SD3 have must-have tools that are missing in BFD3? I'm thinking mainly of tools that might help a non-drummer to make more realistic MIDI tracks. Or tools to make composition easier in general.

I'm asking because apparently I can upgrade my old (and forgotten!) BFD Eco to BFD3 for £124 ... whereas SD3 costs £287. Is SD3 worth the extra £160?

Cheers.
_
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 04:54 PM   #25
Pinknoise

When building a song in SD3 it can find the closest similar pattern to what your working on.
Audio to midi inside the program making replacement a breeze.
Included plugins in SD3 dont know about BFD.
Drag and drop your samples on kit in SD3 dont know about BFD.
Recorded by George Massenburg instant hit garanteed.
Supposedly there is something about cymbals that BFD does better.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:26 PM   #26
jinotsuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscofisy View Post

● Lastly - what are the big benefits of SD3 over BFD3?
As I've no need for metal or heavy rock drums, would either SD or BFD be better for natural sounds?
Does SD3 have must-have tools that are missing in BFD3? I'm thinking mainly of tools that might help a non-drummer to make more realistic MIDI tracks. Or tools to make composition easier in general.

I'm asking because apparently I can upgrade my old (and forgotten!) BFD Eco to BFD3 for £124 ... whereas SD3 costs £287. Is SD3 worth the extra £160?

Cheers.
_
Apart from the midi stuff, like Tap2Find, SD3 has nothing over BFD3, and most certainly not in the sound department. But if the midi/groove stuff like the 'Tap2Find' search type stuff is useful to you, then there you have it. But for quite a number of 'new' features in SD3 like using own samples etc, these have been available in BFD for 10 years, nothing new there. I have no interest in Tap2Find etc, I either play with my DM10 kit or program my original drum parts. I upgraded from SD2 to SD3 so I can see for myself at my leisure and not be restricted, from what I have seen and heard so far, SD3 will be like SD2 and just sit there collecting virtual dust, because for me thus far BFD3 still reigns supreme, will see how it goes, but for now for me, it's BFD3
jinotsuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:33 PM   #27
tombuur

Unlike the previous poster, I like tap2find, song creator etc. very much. I can find matching midi items, change how they are played (e.g. Hihat instead of ride cymbal, sidestick instead of center hit etc.). Also the snare and kick can be made more or less busy, played softer or harder etc. The whole thing works easily with a few clicks, drag-and-drop all over the place ...

For years I have been a supporter of Jamstix. Now I probably won't use it much anymore.

But of course, if you are a drummer yourself you wouldn't care much for the song creator. Same for me when it comes to guitar plugins where I prefer to record my own performance.
Reaper 5, latest release, 64-bit w SWS |GA Z270 UD5|Intel i7 K7700|32 GB RAM|Fireface 800|500GB SSD sys, 1TB SSD Rec, 4TB HDD samples|Win 10 64bit|Dynaudio BM6A|Softube Console 1|Sonnox|Waves|Melda|Superior 3|Komplete 12U|Melodyne|Slate|Izotope.
tombuur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 01:41 AM   #28
Judders

Quote:
When building a song in SD3 it can find the closest similar pattern to what your working on.
Audio to midi inside the program making replacement a breeze.
Included plugins in SD3 dont know about BFD.
Drag and drop your samples on kit in SD3 dont know about BFD.
Recorded by George Massenburg instant hit garanteed.
Supposedly there is something about cymbals that BFD does better.
I think SD2 caught up on the cymbals in an update.

BFD has synthesised tom resonance though.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:10 AM   #29
viscofisy

I'm interested in what programme would be most useful for a non-drummer who wants to construct or edit "believable" rhythms.

Someone mentioned that SD3 has both a "complexity>>less complexity" variable as well as easy swapping of which kit pieces play what part of a rhythm.

I notice that BFD3 also has easy swapping of kit pieces - but it also has a "Rudiments" feature ... where you paint-in things like various flams, paradiddles, drags, different rolls etc (I counted 35 in all). These "rudiments" can be easily customised by spreading them across different kit pieces. This is exactly the kind of feature ... tricky subtle articulations - that I as a non-drummer would find useful in constructing realistic rhythms.

Does SD3 have any similar feature?
_

"Rudiments" in BFD3 :

Last edited by viscofisy; 09-15-2017 at 02:24 AM.
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 PM   #30
Lowell Mather 5150

Has anyone vigorously tested the Tracker with Stereo tracks and had
any success?

Thanks
Lowell Mather 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:52 PM   #31
Coachz

Is it easier to adjust mics. I found S2 painful to get all the mics blending to make real sounding kits.
Coachz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
Lowell Mather 5150

If you upgrade, does Superior 2 become nfr, or can you transfer it.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2017, 03:04 PM   #33
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
If you upgrade, does Superior 2 become nfr, or can you transfer it.

Thanks
Good question - I'm not sure. You can run them both, which is necessary if you don't want to break older projects that rely on SD2. In order to avoid those kinds of issues, I routinely export the MIDI, and then bounce dry stems to a newer rev of my projects and just work with .wav files from that point on. I then mute the source SD track, set SD offline, and hide the track. The project won't complain if SD no longer exists after that point. I do the same with all synth, etc., after the composition and arranging is dine and its inly the mixing to be finished.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:56 PM   #34
Lowell Mather 5150

Guess I'm going to have to contact them.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #35
Lowell Mather 5150

Is EZPlayer Pro still part of Superior, or is it obsolete now?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #36
Archimedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell Mather 5150 View Post
Is EZPlayer Pro still part of Superior, or is it obsolete now?
Still a separate product. But when you log into their download manager, you'll see that updates are available for many of your products. I own EZPPro, but don't use it, so I can remember if theres an update for it.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:01 AM   #37
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes View Post
It's going to take me a couple of months to fully appreciate the changes, .

Ha Ha! I have been with it since Day One & still struggling to cope with all the new stuff.

This has been the most challenging Beta I have ever done by a mile but SO worth it.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #38
onewayout

Ok, screenshots of ezx's PLZ :-P
onewayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #39
kgarello

Default Tracker and Midi Editor Play position Ahead of Sound

Has anyone else experienced this.

In the Tracker and Midi editor, the transport is about an 8th note ahead of the actual hit.

I have tried setting buffer size to different settings and it does not appear to resolve the problem.

I don't see any discernable latency when hitting a drum in the drums panel.

Thanks,

Ken
kgarello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #40
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgarello View Post
Has anyone else experienced this.

In the Tracker and Midi editor, the transport is about an 8th note ahead of the actual hit.

I have tried setting buffer size to different settings and it does not appear to resolve the problem.

I don't see any discernable latency when hitting a drum in the drums panel.

Thanks,

Ken
Do you have ReaVerb or ReaTune in your project? They can cause this problem and there are others too. ReaVerb has a couple of checkboxes that can help "ZZ" and "LL".
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote