Old 02-09-2023, 12:29 PM   #1
dbsoccer
Human being with feelings

Default Studio Mic Recommendation

I did a forum search, thinking this would be a common question, but not much came up. So I have to ask and I apologize in advance if the question has been asked and answered hundreds of times and I missed it.

I'm setting up a very basic "home studio" (laughable, even to me) so I can record my vocals for the sole purpose of getting feedback to improve. I currently have an SM58 which works fine as I need it to take outside the "studio" to do things like provide a PA system for the annual neighborhood cardboard boat race.

But folks on this forum indicated that I could do better than the SM58 if recording quality was the goal. I see numerous condenser mics on Face Book Market Place, Craig's List, etc meaning mic value is a goal as well. And I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how easy it is do damage a mic making a used one a crap shoot. I've hard the SM58 is almost non-destructible but my knowledge stops there. I was hoping to stay around $100 if possible. Thanks for your help.
dbsoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:38 PM   #2
Wallaby

Default Room

The better the mic is, the better it records the room.
if your room sounds a little bit like a garage or restroom, the good studio mic will destroy your recording.
The mic type is more important than the brand.
If you want to try a large diaphragma condenser mic, choose a cheap one.
The Lewitt LTC 240 is often recommended.
In a wooden livingroom with book shelfs and wood furniture it can be perfect.
In a bathroom or garage just stay with that Shure you have.
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #3
dbsoccer

The room is an home office approximately 12x14. The room contains the obligatory desk tops, shelfs, etc. Thanks for the suggestion. Is the Audio Technica At2020 of any value? Audio Technica mics show up on the Facebook Marketplace a lot which makes me wonder why. ?? There is also an MXL 990 that someone is selling. I did a search for the Lewitt LTC 240 on Marketplace and didn't get a hitting even searching a 500 mile radius.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:10 PM   #4
Wallaby

Default Mic

The Audio-Technica is good and the MXL should be fine too.
They are cheap, massproducts sold all over the world no wonder to find a lot of them in every market place.
One of these is a perfect tool to start making tests.
If the recording is boomy or boxy with too much reverb then the mic is just too good for the room.
If you find a "StudioProjects B1" take it ! These are super quality for lowest price.
Wallaby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:36 PM   #5
Glennbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsoccer View Post
The room is an home office approximately 12x14. The room contains the obligatory desk tops, shelfs, etc. Thanks for the suggestion. Is the Audio Technica At2020 of any value? Audio Technica mics show up on the Facebook Marketplace a lot which makes me wonder why. ?? There is also an MXL 990 that someone is selling. I did a search for the Lewitt LTC 240 on Marketplace and didn't get a hitting even searching a 500 mile radius.
I have a pair of AT2020s that I use on acoustic drums. A couple of things to note about those mics. They are medium diaphragm mics at 0.63", and they are back electret.

https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-a...-mics-any-good

They sound good on snare bottom and hihat. I have never tried them on vocals though as I have a 1" LDC Rode NT1 (2nd generation from 1999) that I use for vocals.
Glennbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #6
martifingers

Here's interesting advice from people who seem to know their stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxwdFY4IGk

Some really cheap ones like the Marantz/Tascam would probably cost half your budget!

I would only add from my personal experience that the Aston Origin is really excellent (also their Element mic is within your budget - looks slightly odd but seems to perform well!)
And also my SE Magneto is fine too, well if it's good enough for Gordon Giltrap... https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ronics-magneto
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 11:04 PM   #7
Bazzbass

if you want a gamble, buy a Vonyx LDC for around $40 AUS
Old 02-10-2023, 05:03 AM   #8
Judders

Quote:
AT2020 mic's show up a lot on the second hand market because they are very common beginner mic's. People either get into recording and move on to more expensive mic's, or they lose interest in recording and sell their stuff.

It's not because they are bad microphones.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:20 AM   #9
vdubreeze

Quote:
s the Audio Technica At2020 of any value? Audio Technica mics show up on the Facebook Marketplace a lot which makes me wonder why. ?? There is also an MXL 990 that someone is selling. I did a search for the Lewitt LTC 240 on Marketplace and didn't get a hitting even searching a 500 mile radius.
That's basically because AT gets their mics into big box retailers, so anyone wandering into a Microcenter or BestBuy will run into them on the shelves. They're ubiquitous. MXL has a long history of being found in big chain music gear stores like Guitar Center, who blows them out sometimes in their "Stupid Deals". Lewitt has only begun getting bigger distribution in the past few years into Pro Audio and gear stores and they don't bang out nearly as many per month so they're not as commonly run into, but they're out there. You're right, not sighted in used marketplace much, but change the search to 'new' and stores and they'll come up. MXLs show up a lot on used because retailers put them on sale a lot, and there will always be a percentage of buyers of inexpensive gear who either upgrade or don't end up using it, so...up it goes.

Thing about the 2020 is that it's literally the lowest of that line. They definitely are not bad and worth the price. But if you're looking at AT mics consider bumping up to the next few models in the range. Try to hear them if you can. I think the difference is worth it. But it really depends on the context. The Lewitt is a good sounding inexpensive mic.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:41 AM   #10
ggrey

Hi db, the SM58 is a great mic. No its not a large diaphragm condenser, but since you like it it will reproduce your voice accurately. And if your focus right now is improvement, I suggest sticking with the 58 until you see/hear the improvement you are looking for. All the while researching the condenser of your dreams. Also, someone above commented that its the mic type not the brand...very good words to live by.

IMHO it is more the vocal delivery and performance that makes or breaks a quality sound. Go for and focus on the improvement you are looking for. A better mic will not make you a better singer. On the other hand a better monitoring system can make you a better singer because you will be able to hear a lot more of the things you need improvement on, but that's a whole other story... Good luck!
ggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 08:59 AM   #11
nepenthe

Quote:
I did a forum search, thinking this would be a common question, but not much came up. So I have to ask and I apologize in advance if the question has been asked and answered hundreds of times and I missed it.

I'm setting up a very basic "home studio" (laughable, even to me) so I can record my vocals for the sole purpose of getting feedback to improve. I currently have an SM58 which works fine as I need it to take outside the "studio" to do things like provide a PA system for the annual neighborhood cardboard boat race.

But folks on this forum indicated that I could do better than the SM58 if recording quality was the goal. I see numerous condenser mics on Face Book Market Place, Craig's List, etc meaning mic value is a goal as well. And I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how easy it is do damage a mic making a used one a crap shoot. I've hard the SM58 is almost non-destructible but my knowledge stops there. I was hoping to stay around $100 if possible. Thanks for your help.
Can't recommend Advance Audio enough
https://advancedaudio.ca
Cool guy who builds really nice, affordable clones of classic mics. Sort of a mom&pop operation run out of a house in Canada somewhere. Their CM414 sounds real close to a brass cap C414EB without costing $$$$. If you want a nice all-rounder mic, an AKG C414 or similar is a great choice.
nepenthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:17 PM   #12
dbsoccer

I really appreciate all the input. At the same time you were providing input, I was doing other research - on-line product review of the mic you recommended, etc. My local Guitar Center has a used MXL990 for $60. It seemed to be in excellent condition. I opted, however, for a Aston Element. This mic has received great reviews from different sources. It was also at a reduce price and, of course, it is new.

I totally understand ggrey comments about the mic not making me a better singer. But I feel a condenser mic will capture more of the subtle aspects. The sales person at GC cautioned me that the mic, when picking up the minor nuances, it will also pick up unwanted noise necessitating some sort of sound enclosure. (The mic comes with a pop shield.) They had a couple in the store but it looked like something I could make as well. My 'studio' is a "multipurpose" room so I have to be pragmatic.

Again, I very much appreciate all the help.
Old 02-11-2023, 09:29 AM   #13
martifingers

I've used a couple of Astons (the Origin and a Starlight). They were both excellent and I am sure the newer designed Element will serve you well.
I even like its quirky looks!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 09:30 AM   #14
s wave

Mics are VERY voice specific... try getting a cheap ribbon and dynamic and condenser? tc... A 58 is always useuable....
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 02:20 PM   #15
nightscope

Say no more.

ns
nightscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:21 PM   #16
s wave

Teal mic (or Black) by 3U seems to be the new bang for the buck sound. If you can muster a budget over that 100 bucks - it may be well worth it to look at the Warbler series... 3 voicings too, They emulate the classics very well - the U series and C12 and 251s etc.
s wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #17
vdubreeze

What makes it an especially tough (or maybe easy) choice is that there will not be ANY mic that will do well on anything. Almost any mic can be a great addition to have, but buying a mic that will be your only mic, or basically your only quality mic, means that if you're wanting the best choice for a vocal mic, focus on that and not how good a mic is for micing guitar amps. If your budget is under $200, or as low as possible, look at mics that will be a good vocal mic and assume that when you stick it in front of an amp or anything else it will be fine.

Decide between a dynamic mic (like the mentioned Shure SM57 and 58 and a condenser, probably a large diaphragm as opposed to a small diaphragm for vocals, but that's only a starting point, not a hard and fast rule.

If you're pretty sure you won't need two mics for a long time it's an easier decision. It's simple to pick up a inexpensive second or third mic down the line, even a $50 mic can be great for that second channel. Just be happy with that main vocal mic.