Old 03-07-2023, 05:04 AM   #1
A Future In Noise
Human being with feelings

Default Record routed MIDI

I can't find a way to record MIDI sent from one track in REAPER to another track.

What I really would like to do is to record the output (MIDI) from a Chord Progression and Harmony Theory tool (VST), but it won't work. And it was then I discoverd that MIDI routed from from one track to another won't get recorded. (The orange lines, indicating that a signal is received, in the TCP of the record armed track, is somewhat thinner than they usually are, when a recording actually takes place.)

I think nothing of this should be impossible. [Maybe this section is more for audio recordings?]

Last edited by A Future In Noise; 03-07-2023 at 05:09 AM.
A Future In Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 05:08 AM   #2
gibi25

Right click the record button(receiving track) and choose record output midi.
Should do the trick.
Old 03-07-2023, 05:18 AM   #3
A Future In Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibi25 View Post
Right click the record button(receiving track) and choose record output midi.
Should do the trick.
OK - thanks! (I wonder if this is mentioned in the 450 pages manual? And if it is, how one is supposed to find it.)
Old 03-07-2023, 05:42 AM   #4
A Future In Noise

Default Tonespace from mucoder

However, when it comes to Tonespace, I still don't know how to handle it. Maybe I'm a bit optimistic if I think somebody else has the same plugin and has solved this?

As shown in the screenshot, I've picked "VST host" as midi output, because this is the only alternative that makes sense (if I want to record the midi out). But what do I do next? According to the Tonespace manual, sending the outgoing MIDI to a vst synth should be possible.

Since REAPER is rather sophisticated when it comes to routing, I think REAPER should be able to do this. I have checked the alternatives under "Param", "+" and "out" at the top of the Tonespace plugin, though, and nothing seems to apply.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o2.JPG (111.2 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by A Future In Noise; 03-07-2023 at 05:52 AM.
Old 03-07-2023, 08:30 AM   #5
domzy

have you selected "record output (MIDI)" on the receiving track, as suggested above?

if thisw isn't working maybe a plugin is hijacking the MIDI, if so set it to *merges with MIDI bus* in MIDI output options

Last edited by domzy; 03-07-2023 at 08:41 AM.
domzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 12:03 PM   #6
A Future In Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by domzy View Post
have you selected "record output (MIDI)" on the receiving track, as suggested above?

if thisw isn't working maybe a plugin is hijacking the MIDI, if so set it to *merges with MIDI bus* in MIDI output options
"Merges etc" + "record output" solved this problem. One interesting thing here is that when i searched the 450 pages manual (afterwards) for the word "merge*" I think I got three matches / hits. And none of them had anything to do with recording MIDI. I wonder how many pages would be needed to cover a basic thing like this.

Thanks a lot both of you.