Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 08-14-2015, 05:12 AM   #1
slooky
Human being with feelings

Default Latest Reaper update is useless

Downloaded latest Reaper and now I get this annoying box popping up that says "Find MDrummer installation path" I can't even click it off, it just keeps on showing up. it won't let me open Reaper.
slooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
bobobo

i guess you have installed the new reaper and ran it afterwards
so it run under administrator account, but the administrator don't
know the mdrummer, at least not complete.

not a reaper fault, i guess
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #3
slooky

I'm not getting what you said?
Old 08-14-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
bobobo

hmm , it refers to windows-systems.

an UAC-Issue. Don't run a programm (event if assigned) direct after
installation when you have run through the uac-thing, unless you know
what your doing.
bobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:06 AM   #5
toddhisattva

Default Istaladorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slooky View Post
I'm not getting what you said?
I think he said "never run the program from the installer." If he didn't, I'll say it - never run a program from its installer, the installer may run it in Administrator mode, even very good programmers and trusted installers sometimes get this wrong, just say "no" and launch the program yourself.

It could be an MDrummer problem - move it from the VST directory and see if you get an "FX not found" kind of error instead.
toddhisattva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #6
slooky

So if I can,t run from installer how do I install? Do I disable UAC then install?

Last edited by slooky; 08-14-2015 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
So if I can,t run from installer how do I install? Do I disable UAC then install?
They mean run the install and if the install says "Completed, run now?" or similar when it has finished installing... click cancel and go launch reaper.exe directly so that it runs in the proper user context. Doing so from the installer runs the risk of doing so under the privileges of the installer which is usually elevated admin rights.
Old 08-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
Justin
Administrator

Hmm when the installer runs and elevates to administrator, it de-elevates to run REAPER.exe after... so I dunno, unless he ran the installer as administrator to begin with?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hmm when the installer runs and elevates to administrator, it de-elevates to run REAPER.exe after... so I dunno, unless he ran the installer as administrator to begin with?
I thought this was a long gone issue honestly. I only mentioned in the event I remembered wrong. If it de-elevates I don't think this would be the issue.
Old 08-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
slooky

I opened Reaper as I always do and it said their was an update. I don't remember asking to run the installer as administrator. Then that box opened up about the drummer and asking to locate the file. I couldn't find it going through that box, but it is there under dll files
Old 08-15-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
I opened Reaper as I always do and it said their was an update. I don't remember asking to run the installer as administrator. Then that box opened up about the drummer and asking to locate the file. I couldn't find it going through that box, but it is there under dll files
Hmm, this sounds like perhaps a VST3-related issue -- do you have an MDrummer VST3 installed?

Edit: usually in these cases you can kill REAPER, then try again, and the plug-in it was scanning will be ignored...

Last edited by Justin; 08-15-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
schwa
Administrator

OK, I just downloaded and installed MDrummer.

The plugin needs external data files, which are a separate download, in order to run. I intentionally didn't download these files to see what would happen.

MDrummer is scanned when starting REAPER for the first time after installing MDrummer, which would be the same behavior if you previously installed the VST3 and then ran REAPER 5 for the first time. It popped up a window titled "find MDrummer installation path", looking for the missing data files. I canceled that window and it popped up again multiple times. It did eventually stop popping up and REAPER finished its startup scan. I can then close and reopen REAPER and the plugin doesn't complain any more.

The plugin never crashed, so it's available in REAPER and hopefully would work correctly if the data files were installed and the plugin was told where they were.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #13
slooky

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwa View Post
OK, I just downloaded and installed MDrummer.

The plugin needs external data files, which are a separate download, in order to run. I intentionally didn't download these files to see what would happen.

MDrummer is scanned when starting REAPER for the first time after installing MDrummer, which would be the same behavior if you previously installed the VST3 and then ran REAPER 5 for the first time. It popped up a window titled "find MDrummer installation path", looking for the missing data files. I canceled that window and it popped up again multiple times. It did eventually stop popping up and REAPER finished its startup scan. I can then close and reopen REAPER and the plugin doesn't complain any more.

The plugin never crashed, so it's available in REAPER and hopefully would work correctly if the data files were installed and the plugin was told where they were.
Okay so do I install and when that box pops up I just keep clicking it til it stops? Thank you by the way.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:38 AM   #14
ivansc

But you also need to download and install the data files/samples which is the root cause here if Schwa is right - which he pretty much always is
Oh and of course MDrummer will need to be told where they are if the install doesnt specify a required path.
Surprised you managed to install it without the data files in the first place.

Last edited by ivansc; 08-16-2015 at 10:10 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 AM   #15
slooky

Okay so after install I didn't run Reaper. I moved Mdrummer dll file over to Reaper dll files. Now everything works. Funny that it loses the mdrummer dll file when going to Reaper 5. It was always there before when I updated Reaper.
I like the way 5 looks. Thanks very much everyone!

Last edited by slooky; 08-16-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:56 AM   #16
DarkStar

Hmm,

(a) putting MDrummer in with the Reaper dll files may result in Reaper (5) not scanning it at all,
(b) or are you saying the MDrummer will not load in Reaper 5?
(c) but, why install MDrummer at all if you are not going to install its sounds library?
Old 08-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #17
ad

By "moved over to the REAPER dll files" do you mean into the VST plugins folder/path? Can you be more specific?
ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:38 PM   #18
slooky

I have all my dll files in a folder titled "VST folder" When I opened Reaper 5 it says it couldn't find the path to the drummer. Well the drummer was in my VST folder in 4.78 of Reaper but somehow got deleted when I went to Reaper 5
Old 08-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
ad

I also observed that REAPER doesn't maintain the VST plugins path from versions previous to 5.

Perhaps file a bug report / feature request about this after confirming with other users in the forum?

This seems like something that could be fixed. I was surprised when I had to re-enter the path.

edit: The "clear settings" option in the installer could be made more specific about which options are cleared. I now recall that I did use this option.

Did you use the option while installing?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
ad

If this is the source of your problem:

Perhaps REAPER could be made to have more clear messages when it is unable to locate a plugin.

It isn't as bad as Windows 10 with its "Something happened."

I've noticed the errors are not 100% clear when removing a plugin while REAPER is running.

The error might be more useful if it said something like:
"The specified plugin could not be found in the current VST/other plugins path."
"Please check that the plugin is installed and confirm your settings for the plugin and its path."