Old 06-01-2018, 01:30 PM   #1
macdaddy
Human being with feelings

Default SpitFire Audio free vsts

Just seen where Spitfire Audio has released two free vsts - a soft piano and a string ensemble under the name LABS. I haven't installed yet but the samples on the web site - or you tube sound nice. Did I say they're free!
macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #2
JamesPeters

Requires creating an account with them plus installation of some "software" on your computer first. (This might be a deal breaker to some people.)
JamesPeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 02:17 PM   #3
macdaddy

I may be naive regarding these things - isn't the software just for downloading their files? Looks like - per their videos - the vst opens like any other one in your DAW. Why would some people have a problem with that? Just wondering.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
JamesPeters

I decided to not install their software so I don't know what it does.

I don't like "extra software" installed for no necessary reason, since the reason might then be "possibly a reason you'd not appreciate".

If this is a free VST plugin, it shouldn't need that extra software for downloading it. First, they make you get an account just to download it, so they've covered that base already. They might say it's so that it reminds you of updates etc., but that can be done with their mailing list (and you're making an account in the first place to download the software, so that's taken care of). So that leaves me wondering "why this extra software". I don't want plugins "calling home" to check for updates or doing anything else (data mining etc.)

Any time I get wind of something like this, I just avoid it. Others will take a different approach. I just wanted to make it known to anyone before going to the site, in case they think similarly to how I do (I've noticed some of them on this forum).
Old 06-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #5
macdaddy

Okay. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #6
sostenuto

Wow ! If there is any more respected and trustworthy orchestral music library source than Spitfire Audio, in UK, I do not know of it. They compete worldwide with industry standards such as Orchestral Tools (Berlin), Vienna Symphonic Library.

Understand general concerns about opening accounts and downloading unknown software, but LABS from Spitfire Audio is absolutely top drawer. Inappropriate here to go into historic detail about the LABS program, but it has been highly appreciated as a charitable venture producing quality libraries selling for typically $3. Their Symphonic Strings library (>80GB) is one of the industry standards, selling regularly for $700.

One can track massive user response to the new SF_LABS on VI-Control Community Forum.
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:09 PM   #7
JamesPeters

I'd never used their software or even heard of them. My response is the same as it would be for any software company that does this. Again, others will think differently, but I know some people on this forum think similarly.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
_Stevie_

Well, something is strange here... IIRC the 2 instruments had been released as Kontakt instruments in the past. And now, they are re-released with their own player (which has not earned a lot of praise, really). Hm...
Old 06-01-2018, 04:41 PM   #9
aomahana

Default sustain release

Hi,

I have just installed this ... LABS soft piano.
At present though I am having an issue with the sustain pedal.
It sustains, but on release the sustain hangs.
I have put in a support request with Spitfire.
I will let you know if we find a solution.

I am new to Reaper, so this could be me missing a setting.
Although, I tested with Pianoteq, and the sustain pedal is behaving normally.

I also use Spitfire Sacconi Quartet in Kontakt.
I love it.

Bye now,
aomahana.
aomahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #10
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Well, something is strange here... IIRC the 2 instruments had been released as Kontakt instruments in the past. And now, they are re-released with their own player (which has not earned a lot of praise, really). Hm...
There was an earlier Soft Piano (which I have), but posts on VI-C Forum suggest this is different. I also have a couple 'past' Labs_Strings libs, but this one is apparently different and better.

I will post when time to audition, but having some install issues which other Win10 /Reaper Users are not. No clue whether they are also now on v5.90 ...

I doubt Soft Piano is intended to address dedicated Pianoteq Users.
I am lifetime pianist and applaud Pianoteq's contributions, but remain comfortable with IvoryII Italian Grand, OTS Evo Rosewood Grand, XLN Addictive Keys, and all in NI_K11U. Soft Piano is surely not intended to compete in that marketplace ??
Old 06-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #11
_Stevie_

Ah, good to know, judging from the name I thought, this is the same sample content.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:35 PM   #12
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Stevie_ View Post
Ah, good to know, judging from the name I thought, this is the same sample content.
Well, a bit confusing for long time users. The other Forum has had lots of posts sorting older Labs content versus this new one. It was not made very clear at the new Intro.
I have (21) of the older Labs libraries _ including Soft Piano, Scary Strings, Permafrost Strings, Henson's Frozen Strings, and these (2) new libs are apparently a bit different. Oh well...……
Old 06-01-2018, 11:46 PM   #13
imagegod

I downloaded the app because I trust Spitfire (although I definitely understand the general reticence).

My very limited understanding of the updated situation: It seems (again, from my limited perspective) that they're porting/creating samples for their own non-Kontakt player (including HZ Strings: https://www.spitfireaudio.com/shop/a...immer-strings/)...this app acts like Native Instrument's 'Native Access' where all the libraries are kept in one place.

Labs (as an ongoing freebie) may (or may not) be a way to assess the general impact of its software in the marketplace. Are there bugs...can it be improved...if so, how. That sort of thing.

From my perspective (and I have Berlin's Inspire, which is incredible, as a point of reference), the freebie 'Strings' is an excellent instrument and extremely useful (for a given segment of orchestral composers...like myself. YMMV).
Old 06-02-2018, 01:37 AM   #14
Geoff-h3o

Default Anyone else having trouble signing up?

When I try I get "Something went wrong. Please try again later."
Tried 3 different browsers - even IE!- so I guess it's their end.

Forget it. Register via downloading the app

Last edited by Geoff-h3o; 06-02-2018 at 01:58 AM.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:01 AM   #15
Dr Bob

Ok I downloaded and let it go to the default place in the loader.

Where is the .dll scan path for Reaper to scan please?

TIA

dB
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:19 AM   #16
Bill_Texas

I did have some problems with the installation. It took me 3 tries before I finally got it to work. It is odd that there is no .dll file anywhere that I can find. I simply installed to my main vst folder and had to do a repair (that is found in the spitfire application you are required to download). After finally getting everything to work, I am satisfied with these 2 free instruments. From what I understand, they will be releasing more free instruments in the future.
Thanks
Bill_Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:35 AM   #17
Dr Bob

Thanks. I found it in my c:\64bit folder … LABS(64 bBit).dll

Pretty sure I took the default path so not sure how the .dll ended up there coz I did not move it!

Anyway, seems good to me … still like my Ivory Grands though.

dB
Old 06-02-2018, 10:22 AM   #18
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff-h3o View Post
When I try I get "Something went wrong. Please try again later."
Tried 3 different browsers - even IE!- so I guess it's their end.

Forget it. Register via downloading the app
Me too.
Overwhelming new user response??

EDIT: Second try and all is going fine, both freebies downloading already.

Last edited by ivansc; 06-02-2018 at 10:31 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #19
Goldreap

The install procedure asks "Please select a location to install LABS....". This is for where you want to put the samples, patches, and presets. You are not asked where you want to put the dlls/vst3s (they end up in the default locations, both 32 and 64 bit). If you muck up the samples location thing, you can move the stuff to where you want it then locate the new location from within the Spitfire app. I wish the install procedure actually made all this clear and asked in the usual way whether you want 64 or 32 bit, VST2 or VST3, where you'd like them, and where to put the samples etc.
Another thing is that there is not a separate plugin for each instrument...just the LABS plugin...you select the instrument from within it.
Goldreap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:51 PM   #20
Alistair S

It is all a bit fiddly - but I see they are going to add free instruments to the player VSTi over time, so hopefully it's worth the hassle.

From a quick audition, the strings sound very usable (and were the reason I downloaded)- but I will have to use them in anger to be certain! The piano is fine but I'll probably not have much use for it personally.

I've had no joy getting the 32-bit version to work (no sound) but the 64-bit version works fine, so all is good. I've probably set up the 32-bit wrong and am trying to play the 64-bit version in 32-bit Reaper or something. But I have a working version in Reaper 64-bit so have given up playing with it for now.
Alistair S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #21
Dr Bob

If you do a "locate" to change the location to where you have moved the samples you need to locate the "Spitfire Audio - LABS" folder. Not the parent folder "Spitfire".

Then it all works. Nice free libraries.

dB
Old 06-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #22
sostenuto

Lots going on at SF and likely a bit offputting for some new to Spitfire Audio.

Their libraries have been Kontakt-based for long time , but new LABS is early example of their own new engine. It will surely grow and improve rapidly, given SF track record.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:28 PM   #23
Goldreap

The strings have a lovely sound.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:34 PM   #24
imagegod

The strings sound sweet, and the ability to change the attack via 'velocity' cc is a nice bonus. (As if 'free' isn't bonus enough!)
Old 06-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
Jeffsounds

Where the heck are you seeing these freebies and downloading them? Nobody has posted a link and I've looked all over their website and don't see anything free...
Old 06-02-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
edkilp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Where the heck are you seeing these freebies and downloading them? Nobody has posted a link and I've looked all over their website and don't see anything free...
Click the LABS tab on the SpitFire site
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 AM   #27
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkilp View Post
Click the LABS tab on the SpitFire site
Thanks! Apparently, my computer doesn't like Spitfire. I could install the app but could not make the download work in Chrome, Foxfire or Opera.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:06 PM   #28
macdaddy

I watched the video on the SpitFire website and had no trouble installing to my computer. I installed the sounds to my fx folder where my other Reaper instruments are and when I opened Reaper it scanned the folder and the SpitFire showed up in my vst list. I opened a new project just to test and played them with my external keyboard and everything worked fine. I then opened a previous project and swapped the SpitFire strings in for the strings I was using and it worked fine. Nice sounds!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:53 PM   #29
Softsynth

Both are nice freebies., amongst the best for samples.

Didn't need the video, it all seems very self explanatory. The piano is a pleasant offering, one of those cinematic, blurry, dreamy FX softies. Downloading the strings took a while at 745MB with the ole paper cup 'n' string broadband.

At least it started downloading immediately. I downloaded the installer with Firefox in Win10.

The strings are the star of the show here. These sounds great. Quite playable too I would say. Work well together of course. Impressive freebie showpiece for Spitfire, given the relatively small size of the files. I wonder what mini treasure is next for us sample poor skinflints?

Last edited by Softsynth; 06-03-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Update
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Reason

So to get this, I need:
to sign up on their site
download an app that amounts to their sample player
download the samples

Have I missed anything?

Seems fair for a decent set of sounds. I don't like having random extra software on my computer. I'm definitely in the camp that James Peters mentioned. I'm also a sucker for free stuff and I don't have strings that I like atm.
Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #31
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
So to get this, I need:
to sign up on their site
download an app that amounts to their sample player
download the samples

Seems fair for a decent set of sounds. Have I missed anything? I don't like having random extra software on my computer. I'm definitely in the camp that James Peters mentioned. I'm also a sucker for free stuff and I don't have strings that I like atm.

Sign up. Download the installer. Run it. Download the two freebie libraries. Even with crap broadband it wasn't too painful. The strings will probably get used even by people with good libraries.
Get both. The piano isn't a quality dynamic instrument but it is a great FX piano freebie that will work well in specific cinematic style contexts.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
Sign up. Download the installer. Run it. Download the two freebie libraries. Even with crap broadband it wasn't too painful. The strings will probably get used even by people with good libraries.
Get both. The piano isn't a quality dynamic instrument but it is a great FX piano freebie that will work well in specific cinematic style contexts.
Cool, thanks. Went ahead and did it. I like that they even have you opt IN to future emails. I feel like that's respectful.

Getting a solid 30+Mbps download, should be done in a minute or two.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:06 PM   #33
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason View Post
Cool, thanks. Went ahead and did it. I like that they even have you opt IN to future emails. I feel like that's respectful.

Getting a solid 30+Mbps download, should be done in a minute or two.

Circa 2.6Mbps here, which was actually tolerable for this.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #34
ReaperMadness

I let everything install in their default locations and it opened the first time without even rescanning or adding to VST paths. I don't know how they did that.

Problem is, if I have more than two instances in project, REAPER crashes. When you re-open REAPER, it's in same project. You're trapped. The only way out is to delete LABS.

I've opened a ticket with Spitfire tech support.

I'm on Windows 7, 64bit. REAPER 5.90, 64bit.

Edit: Crash only occurs upon trying to close project.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 06-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 05:13 PM   #35
Reason

Well that was worth it. Strings sound very nice. Piano is alright. Sounds like the sad part of a romcom soundtrack, but I can probably find a use for it.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:15 PM   #36
Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post
I let everything install in their default locations and it opened the first time without even rescanning or adding to VST paths. I don't know how they did that.

Problem is, if I have more than two instances in project, REAPER crashes. When you re-open REAPER, it's in same project. You're trapped. The only way out is to delete LABS.

I'm on Windows 7, 64bit. REAPER 5.90, 64bit.
Win10, 5.90, did not have this problem. Was able to have one instance with Soft Piano and one with Strings simultaneously. Didn't test further or add anything else. let us know what you find.

Just installed 5.91, same.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:16 PM   #37
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperMadness View Post

Running four instances now (3 string, one piano). VST3 isn't crashing yet with multiple FX added too. Understand this has only been running a few minutes.
My Labs libraries are moved to a different drive.

Win10 64bit. Reaper 5.91.
Old 06-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #38
sostenuto

THX much for your post !! Dunno where I overlooked, but was not aware of VST3 choices. Right now loaded with (v5.91), Omni2. K5-Sonokinetic_Capriccio Brass, (2) LABS VSTi2, (2) LABS VSTi3. All running well @ <24% cpu.

This is cool '1st Step' for new SFA_LABS going forward.
I had mixed issues getting finally loaded and running on (2) Win10 Pro PC DAWs. One no issues at all, 2nd_ lots of Repairs, reinstalls.

Feel badly for those struggling with first impressions of Spitfire Audio.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:56 PM   #39
ReaperMadness

I don't get a crash until I try and close the project.

Can someone on a Windows machine confirm contents of Spitfire program folder.

I've got the following:

In "Program Files/Steinberg" folder is "LABS(64Bit).dll". BUT, in "Program Files (x86)/ Spitfire Audio" folder, there are two additional .dll's - "zip.dll" and "zlib1.dll". Is that right?

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 06-03-2018 at 07:33 PM.
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #40
Goldreap

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Spitfire Audio" is the Spitfire App (downloader) and the two dlls in there are part of that I suppose.

Last edited by Goldreap; 06-03-2018 at 07:45 PM.