Old 08-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
purple24
Human being with feelings

Default VST instruments have gone missing

Hi there, I'm really new to Reaper and to DAWs in general so bear with me.

Downloaded Reaper recently and really enjoyed using it - I installed a few instrument VSTs and also connected it up so I could use my Ezdrummer with it. Worked great.

Then very recently Reaper stopped recognising my piano VST and Toontrack. Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/E53qw4F

The project file plays perfectly fine just minus the VST sounds (everything else I recorded acoustically).

Nothing has changed in terms of my PC files or where the VSTs were installed/stored. As I said, they worked perfectly fine so it's not a compatibility issue.

I'm using the 64 bit Reaper on Windows 8.

I've tried rescanning, resetting the cache, re-adding manually the VST location (including making new folders) and nothing has worked. Reaper doesn't seem to think these VSTs exist anymore.

Please help!

Edit: another thing, when I try to add any of the VSTs I get a pop-up "216 runtime error" message. Sometimes this physically crashes Reaper, other times it does not and I merely have to close it.
purple24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #2
Gerry P

You may want to do some research on this quote I found:

"The most obvious sign that your computer is experiencing a Runtime Error 216 will be a little pop up error message stating so. ... The number one most common cause for this specific Runtime Error is the SubSeven Trojan Virus infecting a PC"
Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #3
purple24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
You may want to do some research on this quote I found:

"The most obvious sign that your computer is experiencing a Runtime Error 216 will be a little pop up error message stating so. ... The number one most common cause for this specific Runtime Error is the SubSeven Trojan Virus infecting a PC"
Thanks, I'll check that out. Is a runtime 216 error a totally bogus thing or can it genuinely occur? I'll run Malwarebytes right away. Seems odd it only appears when I try to load the missing instrument from Reaper though?

But bizarrely I just opened Reaper now and it's working... mysterious stuff...
Old 08-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #4
purple24

Malwarebytes says I'm clean - if it was the virus in question then I'd almost certainly know about it (and it's also ancient!). I read online that people using FL Studio have got the runtime 216 error: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fl...w=1920&bih=943

Which suggests it's some kind of VST related issue, albeit rare for Reaper users?