Old 01-10-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
SkardIVLyfe
Human being with feelings

Default Swimming in Virtual cable tangles

Greetings! I'm Michael.

I am new to this group, and I have thrown myself into the fray of recording some tunes. I have a deadline, and a dilemma.

I have an older Mac (10.6.8), and I need some VST instruments. More or less, I need a bundle of Native Instruments mixed with some fun modern ones—exactly like the Korg M50! I have a Yamaha P-95 which is fanastic for performing; however, it will now serve as an expensive MIDI controller. I've had a couple people mention that getting Logic Pro 9 might be better as it comes with something like 1,500 instruments and works on my system. Now that I have finally gotten some proficiency with Reaper, I was hoping to find a Reaper solution.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I recorded a project with a friend this past November on Reaper (using a M50 rather than MIDI) and I liked the program. I didn't have the die-Pro-Tools-die fits.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 01-10-2018, 11:12 PM   #2
Fergler

Whats the question exactly?

If you're looking for keyboard synth sounds, there are a billion free high quality sounds available as sample libraries, plugins, etc.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:31 AM   #3
SkardIVLyfe

I am having trouble finding a VST instrument bundle and need some sources. I spent about 8 hours yesterday combing the net, but did not find any that worked on my 10.6.8 Mac. The VST instrument bundles I found required a newer model Mac due to the installer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am new to digital recording, having focused most of my life on performing and going to studios to record rather than doing it myself; hence, the language may be hindering my search efficiency.

Cheers,
Michael
Old 01-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Judders

Some companies have "legacy installers" that will work on older systems.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:22 AM   #5
SkardIVLyfe

Cool. I'll look for that. If you know of any companies like that, let me know.

I guess I could use Garage Band for the VST drum and bass tracks and other virtual instruments and then put the tracks into Reaper. It would be cool if Reaper had a site to download bundles or VSTis for us to use.

The search continues.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #6
Bri1
Banned

Ey up- suggest trying 2 demos--either of's fl studio12/13 and reason 6.5>10.
fl comes with sytrus and other cool stuff like patcher\dx emulation etcetc--- reason comes with a heap of factory\orchestra patches bundled ++a massive list of free combinators and refills.
thery can both be used alongside as seperate processing with reaper-or fl has vsti \\ reason>>rearoute or rewire etcetc.
think both are ok on mac systems--fl has it's own native plugins--reason has its own + newer rack extentions----the list is growing still to rival vst.
recommend trial 1,then the other--to maximize trial \testing periods and 'setups' variations =)
all have strengths and weaknesses tbh,_but carefully 'combined' == the future is your's to hold!
glhf!
Bri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
pepe44

https://www.kvraudio.com/

good source of free and paid VSTi´s available
pepe44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #8
hopi

doesn't your yamaha have audio outputs? I would guess it does

if so, then why not connect those [mono or stereo] to your audio interface so you get the sound from it into reaper..?

then you can track by track, record the midi that is sent to the yamaha, and then while still on that yamaha patch, record [render] the audio to a new track...

then move along to the next track with a different yamaha patch

or go get logic... with its 'wonder samles and vst's AU's really] and record them there and export out as aif or wav files and bring them into reaper...

I totally understand wanting to stay in reaper... but given your problems... deadline and lack of having the proper tools before getting into a deadline you might find yourself hard pressed to get and use the free virtual instruments that you can install...

we don't even know what kind of sounds you are needing, eh?
Old 01-12-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Fergler

Logic will bring your computer to your knees, I know because I have a newer Mac than you and it can't handle Logic 9 at all (thats without a project open..).

Heres everything on KVR that is free, 32bit, and AU (you don't want VST on a Mac, very few work and most will break).

https://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?searc...=1515827564625

I see the combo model organs are there, Crystal, Helm, Kairatune, OBXD, TAL Noisemaker, and many others that should get you many of the sounds you're looking for.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:56 AM   #10
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
Logic will bring your computer to your knees, I know because I have a newer Mac than you and it can't handle Logic 9 at all (thats without a project open..).

Heres everything on KVR that is free, 32bit, and AU (you don't want VST on a Mac, very few work and most will break).

https://www.kvraudio.com/q.php?searc...=1515827564625

I see the combo model organs are there, Crystal, Helm, Kairatune, OBXD, TAL Noisemaker, and many others that should get you many of the sounds you're looking for.
10.6.8 is 64bit, and I've had the exact opposite experience of VST in REAPER on Mac OS. I tend to use VST over AU, as I've had less problems (zero, actually).

Not sure why you would have such dramatic performance problems with Logic 9, either. Lots of people ran it on modest machines. Was it patched or version 9.0?
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote