CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 AM   #1
Tunca
Human being with feelings

Default AAX and knobs

I have issue with AAX version's knobs.

Variable knobs working great but stepped knobs have lag and hard to turn.Any way to fix it?Is there any sensitivity setting?

Thanks.
Tunca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
I have issue with AAX version's knobs.

Variable knobs working great but stepped knobs have lag and hard to turn.Any way to fix it?Is there any sensitivity setting?

Thanks.
It's hard to understand your problem with so little information—"laggy" (does this mean response is delayed? I don't know what else it could mean) and "hard to turn" (you have to make multiple attempts? Perform unusual mouse movements?) are pretty vague. I'm wondering if you have a serious problem—I believe you're using my fork, and I'm shipping product with stepped knobs and haven't heard a complaint.

Or maybe you're saying that if you have a small number of positions (say, 3), you have to move the mouse far for it to click to the next step. That might account for "hard to turn", but certainly doesn't account for "laggy". Anyway, if it's this, and you want to change the behavior, override the behavior and make it what you want.

PS—There are no changes to knobs in the AAX version. I'm not sure if you mean that you only see the problem when running as AAX, works otherwise?

Last edited by earlevel; 04-15-2017 at 02:23 PM.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
Tunca

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
It's hard to understand your problem with so little information—"laggy" (does this mean response is delayed? I don't know what else it could mean) and "hard to turn" (you have to make multiple attempts? Perform unusual mouse movements?) are pretty vague. I'm wondering if you have a serious problem—I believe you're using my fork, and I'm shipping product with stepped knobs and haven't heard a complaint.

Or maybe you're saying that if you have a small number of positions (say, 3), you have to move the mouse far for it to click to the next step. That might account for "hard to turn", but certainly doesn't account for "laggy". Anyway, if it's this, and you want to change the behavior, override the behavior and make it what you want.

PS—There are no changes to knobs in the AAX version. I'm not sure if you mean that you only see the problem when running as AAX, works otherwise?
Thanks for reply.

Your're right.Laggy is wrong sentence.Small number of positions hard to turn.I have to move mouse far for it to click to next step.

I have no issue with other versions.But AAX has problem about stepped knobs.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
earlevel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunca View Post
Your're right.Laggy is wrong sentence.Small number of positions hard to turn.I have to move mouse far for it to click to next step.

I have no issue with other versions.But AAX has problem about stepped knobs.
There are no changes to knobs—you can do a diff yourself and see that.

There is a fix to broken parameter rounding that changes the step point, but not the distance the mouse needs to move (it simply provides consistent rounding—bad rounding in the original caused problems with Pro Tools automation of stepped parameters).

There is, however, some gearing in IPlug that's different for Pro Tools than other hosts, depending on which mouse button you're holding (unchanged in my fork). Take a look at IKnobControl::OnMouseDrag and see if that's what you're experiencing.
earlevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:20 AM   #5
Tunca

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlevel View Post
There are no changes to knobs—you can do a diff yourself and see that.

There is a fix to broken parameter rounding that changes the step point, but not the distance the mouse needs to move (it simply provides consistent rounding—bad rounding in the original caused problems with Pro Tools automation of stepped parameters).

There is, however, some gearing in IPlug that's different for Pro Tools than other hosts, depending on which mouse button you're holding (unchanged in my fork). Take a look at IKnobControl::OnMouseDrag and see if that's what you're experiencing.
I played with IKnobControl::OnMouseDrag but nothing changing.Looks like it's not affecting...

I tried all control parameters but no luck.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
JD Young

Hi Tunca,

I've had this issue as well. I have not really looked into it, but I've noticed that if you initialze a parameter with an int or enum this weird behaviour can occur with the ISwitchControl in ProTools; depending on the exact number of switches/frames in the control/bitmap. If you initialize your parameter as a regular double though, the issue is gone. Altough I'd like to get to the bottom of this rather sonner than later, this quick fix should do the trick.

Cheers! JD
JD Young is offline   Reply With Quote