Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Pre-Release Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #41
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

This Stylish script is like 0.1% of what you normally do in ReaScript.

It's just:

Code:
  div.black div.strip { width: 1000px !important;}
  div.strip { width: 75% !important;}
Adjust % and px to taste.
EvilDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:03 PM   #42
filtersweep

Default i am thick

hey
i have no idea how to get these scripts.. is there a repository somewhere?
i have download the reapack thing...
thx
filtersweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 04:58 PM   #43
Swi

Default Long wait time to play in 5.90

I uploaded a video on my other thread and that used up my quota for uploads so please go find it. After doing the 5.90 update my session takes about 4 seconds to play after pressing the spacebar. I tried running play from the action list and had the same results.
I went back to 5.80 and I do not have the issue.
I have a high track count and 25 or so instances of VEP half of which are deactivated.

I am newish to reaper but I have a good friend helping me out. I do not want to go back to my old software so I am hoping this can be resolved.

I am so impressed with reaper and the community.

Thank you all
Swi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:03 PM   #44
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swi View Post
I uploaded a video on my other thread and that used up my quota for uploads so please go find it. After doing the 5.90 update my session takes about 4 seconds to play after pressing the spacebar. I tried running play from the action list and had the same results.
I went back to 5.80 and I do not have the issue.
I have a high track count and 25 or so instances of VEP half of which are deactivated.

I am newish to reaper but I have a good friend helping me out. I do not want to go back to my old software so I am hoping this can be resolved.

I am so impressed with reaper and the community.

Thank you all
What settings do you have set in preferences/buffering? Can you show a screenshot of that? Also what OS/CPU/etc?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 PM   #45
Swi

Default thanks

Here is a screenshot thank you Justin.

i7 5960x @4.4Ghz
X99 Delux Asus
M.2 SSD 512 Samsung system drive
Samsung SSD sata 1TB project drive.
spindle drives for project backup
Sample drives are on a server with 8 1tb raid 0 via 10G Cat 7 point to point connection shared with 2 other stations

I will probably be building the 18 core 7980 XE in a couple months. This DAW is about to have it's 4th birthday which is a record for a DAW over here.

Last edited by Swi; 08-21-2023 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:41 PM   #46
Justin
Administrator

Quote:
Here is a screenshot thank you Justin.

i7 5960x @4.4Ghz
X99 Delux Asus
M.2 SSD 512 Samsung system drive
Samsung SSD sata 1TB project drive.
spindle drives for project backup
Sample drives are on a server with 8 1tb raid 0 via 10G Cat 7 point to point connection shared with 2 other stations

I will probably be building the 18 core 7980 XE in a couple months. This DAW is about to have it's 4th birthday which is a record for a DAW over here.
Try changing the thread behavior from "0 - relaxed" to the default (4 I think on Windows).
Try also changing the worker thread count to 16 and the live FX multiprocessing count to 8.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #47
Swi

Sorry, I forgot the OS
Windows 10 Pro
Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.309)
Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 PM   #48
Swi

I just tested this out and I still have a long delay before the play head starts moving and or any sound is made. No change basically.

Just to be sure though the "worker Thread count" you said to set to 16 is

"Audio reading/processing threads:16"(recommended:1 per CPU core. can also be 0)

And

"Allow live FX multiprocessing on 8 CPUs"
Old 05-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #49
Swi

I just ran a test starting a blank project added 2000 tracks and a couple instances of VEP and it starts instantly but as soon as I connect to my VEP server in this case just a single connection and there was a slight pause from the single instance. I would assume there is a cumulative effect (I thought) so I added a couple more and sure enough, even after only 4 VEP connections, I was up to about half a second wait time. I have 25 instances and 16 are probably connected at startup. The rest are deactivated.

I share a common dissatisfaction with VEP but it is still a fact of life. I may move to the all in one dual xeon in the future.

Going back to 5.80. I am relatively new to reaper but I would be excited to try any pre-release versions. I'm not sure how to get on that list but I am happy to test. It's easy enough to go back if I need to.

Thanks again for this software. It's fantastic.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:13 PM   #50
Swi

Just so it on the record. I did update VEP today after this all started and restarted my servers.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:06 PM   #51
nofish

Quote:
I am relatively new to reaper but I would be excited to try any pre-release versions. I'm not sure how to get on that list but I am happy to test. It's easy enough to go back if I need to.
There's no list, anyone can try pre-releases.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=22836
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 10:51 PM   #52
Swi

I am somewhat new. I did find the pre release and had the same issue with 5.91 pre 1
Old 05-25-2018, 10:55 PM   #53
EvilDragon

I wonder if your issue might have something to do with the new "hard reset" option introduced in 5.90. Right click the plugin(s) in question in FX browser and disable hard reset if it was enabled (or vice versa, enable hard reset if it was disabled), see what happens.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:35 AM   #54
Swi

Default Thank you Evil Dragon

Indeed this issue went away after turning off the Hard Reset. Both in 5.90 and 5.91 Pre 1, The only things that I have a check next to in that menu now are

Save minimal undo states
Avoid loading undo states when possible
Save state as VST bank

It may be worth noting that the drop-down menu on the "32 out" version of VEP takes a while to actually show up, whereas the "8 Out" version the drop-down menu appears instantly.

Many thanks
Old 05-26-2018, 10:41 AM   #55
EvilDragon

Great, glad you have it working again. Hard reset obviously takes longer time than soft reset.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 PM   #56
Swi

I just found out through a friend that VST3 is sometimes more taxing than others. This may also be a contributor. I just "replaced" some of my VST3 VEP instances and it's a totally different experience. Now these plugs pop open quickly. If I used more than one midi bus to connect to an instance through the VST2 version does not seem to support multiple busses? Is there a way to do this where I can replace the VST3 version with the VST2 version and still use multiple midi busses pointed at the plug?

The setting is found if you click on the outputs 16/32 or 32/32 and the routing window opens up and at the top right of that window there is an "I/O" button. click on that and you find another drop down menu go to MIDI input and in the VST3 version there is an option that says "Map REAPER MIDI busses to VST3 MIDI busses." This option is not in the list of the VST2 version.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:34 PM   #57
hopi

Quote:
+ ARA: support for ARA2-compatible plugins (note: there are no publicly available ARA2-compatible plugins)
nice that will come in very handy.... ROTFLMAO
Old 05-26-2018, 10:31 PM   #58
Swi

Right. That's what VST3 means for VEP so I will get rid of all the other VST3 plugs that I can from my template.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:53 PM   #59
EvilDragon

Only VST3 supports more than 1 MIDI channel, so you cannot use MIDI busses with VST2...
Old 05-26-2018, 11:25 PM   #60
Swi

Thank you.
I will be back in a few months after I build the 18 core i9. I'm pushing my 5960x to far to wade into to this pool right now. I have fallen in love with Reaper. I hope I can use it.

My buddy is using an all in one comp and I may migrate that way but I honestly love that I can open up my template and half of the 3700 tracks in my session make noise for me. I don't love the little glitch I get from having tracks auto armed and I suspect this is also from the high track count and VEP. I am connected to 2 256gb ram VEP slaves and a 64gb i7 synth slave so my sequencer is just a sequencer/mixer with some audio in it after rendering or recording.

My other sequencer does this without the crackles so I have to wait until I have a more powerful machine so I can troubleshoot it while I go but still deliver on time.

Thank you for the help. See you in September.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #61
mschnell

Somebody trying to be funny ?

If so : LOL.

If not, is any DAW able to decently run a project like this, being seemingly is too huge for reaper, on any existing hardware, according to the requested workflow ?

-Michael

Last edited by mschnell; 05-27-2018 at 05:50 AM.
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:04 AM   #62
enroe

Quote:
Thank you.
... after I build the 18 core i9.
... and half of the 3700 tracks in my session make noise for me.
... I am connected to 2 256gb ram VEP slaves and a 64gb i7 synth slave ...
Ahh ... yes. Just out of curiosity:
What type of music do you record or compose?
Old 05-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #63
amagalma

Didgeridoo solos 😂
Old 05-27-2018, 05:54 AM   #64
mschnell

Quote:
half of the 3700 tracks in my session make noise for me.
If "noise" means crackling due to CPU overload: Did you ever try Subprojects, which is the rather unique way in Reaper to deal with huge projects on limited hardware. (See Kennies appropriate video for instructions.)

-Michael
Old 05-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #65
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by enroe View Post
Ahh ... yes. Just out of curiosity:
What type of music do you record or compose?
Large track count projects like that are quite normal for orchestral templates.

Subprojects don't quite lend themselves to these kinds of projects, because the while point behind having a big project with lots of tracks that have lots of instruments preloaded and ready to go is to be able to write in parts and have a large palette of sounds available on tap straight away.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:56 AM   #66
Swi

My system is made to work quickly. I had to write 42 pieces of music this weekend for a network TV show so I can get back to the film I am also scoring that has something like 80 starts in 110 minutes. At least the TV show is all very similar and somewhat basic because it's season 2 it's a "known animal" so creatively I know what to do. So then actually doing it by myself instead of with a team requires a system like this. of the @3700 tracks at least 3500 are just empty midi tracks pointed at open sample libraries that are loaded in VEP (automatically at 6am every day) on the VEP servers. The VEP servers take about a half an hour to load up but then they stay on all day. I shut them down every night. This way if I need to record guitar I just record guitar but if I need strings with that I have a number of string libraries to choose from depending what kind of effect I need for that piece of music. I don't need to load these and audition them. I audition them with the down button by going to the next track. Everything is laid out it folders (with the 0 hack in reaper) and I was using screenshots to divide up all the tracks. Reaper gets very sluggish when you put all those tracks in a single screen set. This is actually one of my concerns btw, that maybe Reaper can't handle the big track count. My other sequencer take about a minute to load with a few things connected, then I have a macro to use the sequencers built in A/B switch to go from an "empty" preset to a "connected" preset. This takes less time than activated an instance in Reaper which I how I was doing it in Reaper but Reaper Boots very fast and my template with half of these things already connected takes about 40 seconds. That really blows me away and makes me want to stay with Reaper. Reaper seems to behave like there are a lot of tracks in my session even when all the VEP instances were deactivated. Granted there are a lot of tracks but they are just midi tracks which should be sort of a nothing track. Even with all the VEP instances deactivated and maybe two instances of Battery open the system was having a hard time keeping up. All of my tracks are bussed through 26 Busses and each one of those has its own reverb send return track associated with it and each pair of buss/verb tracks are bussed to an empty track used to bounce stems with. This way there is no 3 in the morning moment trying to figure out if this verb is on that stem. Basically all the stuff I do with the right side of my brain, I like to have done before I try to write a piece of music. Any other FX go on the tracks themselves. So when My session is "Empty" there are 3500 midi tracks 25 deactivated VEP instances, probably 100 audio tracks in folders and bussed with verb sends etc, the 26 busses with the Slate Virtual mix rack on each bus mostly just the VCC loaded, 26 verbs, 7 of which are hardware verbs, system 6000 224XL, PCM 80 (my fav) and a REV 7, all the other verbs I try to keep on the 2 UAD Octo cards and it all works famously. I beat the crap out of this system and it never says no. I just spent the last 6 weeks trying to get a yes from Reaper but the answer is still no. I want to use Reaper but I either need a more powerful machine or I need to put less in my template.
The most amazing thing is that I found time to write on this forum this weekend...
Old 05-27-2018, 08:12 AM   #67
EpicSounds

could a pre-release thread get any more off topic?

respectfully…

Just saying
Old 05-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #68
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
lots of instruments preloaded ...
Seems like ReaMote would come very handy. But I do know that there can be problems using it.

In fact that is why there is a long standing feature request for "Remote Subprojects".

-Michael
Old 05-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #69
Travesty

VEP is the same thing as reamote, it's a system for slaving computers over a network.
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #70
mschnell

Seemingly he does not use it this way ?!?!?

So why does he need to wait until he built a ridiculously powerful PC, instead of using multiple boxes together ?

-Michael (apologizing, as of course this is REALLY off topic here...)
Old 05-27-2018, 10:57 PM   #71
EvilDragon

VEP works slightly differently than ReaMote, since you can only authorize the plugin on the slave computer. With ReaMote you need the plugin(s) authorized on both master and any slaves, so it's less useful that way.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:08 PM   #72
Swi

I tried remote and it doesn't work with VEP. I was able to connect it to the reamote server but no sound would come out unless I switched it back to local processing.

I can work with it now because my machine is close to it's limits. just pressing play put my total CPU usage at 80% and the RT is around 24% so I have fun writing in Reaper but I can't finish anything without using a 2 step process so for that reason. I am waiting until I have enough power to ride out the rough landing and still deliver on time. Without the crackles.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:25 PM   #73
EvilDragon

I think with ReaMote you don't HAVE to use VEP, that's the whole idea.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #74
Swi

Remote offload the processing of the plugin to the other computer. At least that is my understanding. I would need to offload the ram and the load time of the samplers or Kontakt instances the VEP holds. There is about 500 GB of ram loaded on the vep servers. That's why there is no wait to load or wait to audition time in my sequencer. My friend who let me know that Reaper has matured has an all in one setup with a 14 ssd raid to reduce load times. I may move to that but I have 8tb of samples so the 512 drives won't work. We have a central server for our mapped sample drives presently so maybe a zfs server with 100GbE point to point connections would do it too. These are all options I am wieghing.

My real problem is the crackles which I cannot seem to overcome. It may be a plug that's doing it but I trashed all my waves plugs. I only use usd, dmg, fab filter, sound toys, and slate plugs. Instruments are a little broader but still main stuff.