Old 04-06-2020, 08:54 AM   #7921
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
tdc, have you seen the EncoderPlainReverse section of the Wiki?

https://github.com/malcolmgroves/rea...erplainreverse If you're knobs are setup as Encoders in the MFTwister Utility, you probably want to try out this Widget type in CSI.
hey mate - thanks. Yes discovered that and used your post's details to swap the 7bit pot values for the MFT, I thought I had tried all scenarios but it is getting late here in oz so I could have missed something.

Am going through your PDF and your files again this evening. Stunning work! Was a huge help in getting going fast!

One thing I am investigating now are the arguments in the Zon files.

Code:
ShiftRotary6 FXParam "5" "Low Shelf Q"
Where is the text string used"Low Shelf Q"? I am trying to find a way to get this data to an iPad with Lemur so it can show the parameters and the values as they change because many of the EQ plugs don't shows this unless it moused.
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:59 AM   #7922
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
hey mate - thanks. Yes discovered that and used your post's details to swap the 7bit pot values for the MFT, I thought I had tried all scenarios but it is getting late here in oz so I could have missed something.

Am going through your PDF and your files again this evening. Stunning work! Was a huge help in getting going fast!

One thing I am investigating now are the arguments in the Zon files.

Code:
ShiftRotary6 FXParam "5" "Low Shelf Q"
Where is the text string used"Low Shelf Q"? I am trying to find a way to get this data to an iPad with Lemur so it can show the parameters and the values as they change because many of the EQ plugs don't shows this unless it moused.
If you have a display widget configured to show the parameter name, that’s the alias that will appear. I haven’t used that functionality myself yet but I kept the alias in my FX.zon files for the display-less MFTwister just because I used an Excel sheet to act as an FX Zone Helper in case I ever needed those in the future.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #7923
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
If you have a display widget configured to show the parameter name, that’s the alias that will appear. I haven’t used that functionality myself yet but I kept the alias in my FX.zon files for the display-less MFTwister just because I used an Excel sheet to act as an FX Zone Helper in case I ever needed those in the future.
Right OK. I wonder how I would use this argument to send it to an OSC device? Maybe a question for Geoff.

Just tried creating a stepped encoder as you suggested and it does indeed work - thanks. I calculated the 128 values that a band of Fabfilter's EQ set to HPF would be between 20Hz and 400Hz and then appended this to the appropriate widget in the FX zon file.

Values indeed now step from one to the next, but there is obviously a low data rate as the values lag a great deal when twiddling fast :-) It works, but I suspect there is a more sensible solution. (I was impressed it didn't crash actually )

Update: Actually I had the CSI Console open - so the lag was that. Its closed now and the response is more than usable.

Quote:
Rotary2 FXParam "2" "Band 1 Frequency" [ 0 0.003515625 0.00703125 0.010546875 0.0140625 0.017578125 0.02109375 0.024609375 0.028125 0.031640625 0.03515625 0.038671875 0.0421875 0.045703125 0.04921875 0.052734375 0.05625 0.059765625 0.06328125 0.066796875 0.0703125 0.073828125 0.07734375 0.080859375 0.084375 0.087890625 0.09140625 0.094921875 0.0984375 0.101953125 0.10546875 0.108984375 0.1125 0.116015625 0.11953125 0.123046875 0.1265625 0.130078125 0.13359375 0.137109375 0.140625 0.144140625 0.14765625 0.151171875 0.1546875 0.158203125 0.16171875 0.165234375 0.16875 0.172265625 0.17578125 0.179296875 0.1828125 0.186328125 0.18984375 0.193359375 0.196875 0.200390625 0.20390625 0.207421875 0.2109375 0.214453125 0.21796875 0.221484375 0.225 0.228515625 0.23203125 0.235546875 0.2390625 0.242578125 0.24609375 0.249609375 0.253125 0.256640625 0.26015625 0.263671875 0.2671875 0.270703125 0.27421875 0.277734375 0.28125 0.284765625 0.28828125 0.291796875 0.2953125 0.298828125 0.30234375 0.305859375 0.309375 0.312890625 0.31640625 0.319921875 0.3234375 0.326953125 0.33046875 0.333984375 0.3375 0.341015625 0.34453125 0.348046875 0.3515625 0.355078125 0.35859375 0.362109375 0.365625 0.369140625 0.37265625 0.376171875 0.3796875 0.383203125 0.38671875 0.390234375 0.39375 0.397265625 0.40078125 0.404296875 0.4078125 0.411328125 0.41484375 0.418359375 0.421875 0.425390625 0.42890625 0.432421875 0.4359375 0.439453125 0.44296875 0.446484375 0.45 ]
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 AM   #7924
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Thumbs up

haha...look at all those stepped values! Amazing!
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #7925
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
haha...look at all those stepped values! Amazing!
I have a feeling that Geoff will face-palm at the sight of this :-)

Am just working on your Zon file for the ReaEQ, with these huge stepped arrays (now 256 values) - its feeling good and really tactile. If you like you can try in out on your ReaEQ, HPF Freq, Rotary5. Change it in the MFT app to be an Encoder, and then amend your .MST file to:
Code:
Widget Rotary5
	EncoderPlainReverse b0 04 41
	FB_Fader7Bit b0 04 41
WidgetEnd
And then in the ReaEQ ZON file replace this.
Quote:
Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ 0 0.001764705882 0.003529411765 0.005294117647 0.007058823529 0.008823529412 0.01058823529 0.01235294118 0.01411764706 0.01588235294 0.01764705882 0.01941176471 0.02117647059 0.02294117647 0.02470588235 0.02647058824 0.02823529412 0.03 0.03176470588 0.03352941176 0.03529411765 0.03705882353 0.03882352941 0.04058823529 0.04235294118 0.04411764706 0.04588235294 0.04764705882 0.04941176471 0.05117647059 0.05294117647 0.05470588235 0.05647058824 0.05823529412 0.06 0.06176470588 0.06352941176 0.06529411765 0.06705882353 0.06882352941 0.07058823529 0.07235294118 0.07411764706 0.07588235294 0.07764705882 0.07941176471 0.08117647059 0.08294117647 0.08470588235 0.08647058824 0.08823529412 0.09 0.09176470588 0.09352941176 0.09529411765 0.09705882353 0.09882352941 0.1005882353 0.1023529412 0.1041176471 0.1058823529 0.1076470588 0.1094117647 0.1111764706 0.1129411765 0.1147058824 0.1164705882 0.1182352941 0.12 0.1217647059 0.1235294118 0.1252941176 0.1270588235 0.1288235294 0.1305882353 0.1323529412 0.1341176471 0.1358823529 0.1376470588 0.1394117647 0.1411764706 0.1429411765 0.1447058824 0.1464705882 0.1482352941 0.15 0.1517647059 0.1535294118 0.1552941176 0.1570588235 0.1588235294 0.1605882353 0.1623529412 0.1641176471 0.1658823529 0.1676470588 0.1694117647 0.1711764706 0.1729411765 0.1747058824 0.1764705882 0.1782352941 0.18 0.1817647059 0.1835294118 0.1852941176 0.1870588235 0.1888235294 0.1905882353 0.1923529412 0.1941176471 0.1958823529 0.1976470588 0.1994117647 0.2011764706 0.2029411765 0.2047058824 0.2064705882 0.2082352941 0.21 0.2117647059 0.2135294118 0.2152941176 0.2170588235 0.2188235294 0.2205882353 0.2223529412 0.2241176471 0.2258823529 0.2276470588 0.2294117647 0.2311764706 0.2329411765 0.2347058824 0.2364705882 0.2382352941 0.24 0.2417647059 0.2435294118 0.2452941176 0.2470588235 0.2488235294 0.2505882353 0.2523529412 0.2541176471 0.2558823529 0.2576470588 0.2594117647 0.2611764706 0.2629411765 0.2647058824 0.2664705882 0.2682352941 0.27 0.2717647059 0.2735294118 0.2752941176 0.2770588235 0.2788235294 0.2805882353 0.2823529412 0.2841176471 0.2858823529 0.2876470588 0.2894117647 0.2911764706 0.2929411765 0.2947058824 0.2964705882 0.2982352941 0.3 0.3017647059 0.3035294118 0.3052941176 0.3070588235 0.3088235294 0.3105882353 0.3123529412 0.3141176471 0.3158823529 0.3176470588 0.3194117647 0.3211764706 0.3229411765 0.3247058824 0.3264705882 0.3282352941 0.33 0.3317647059 0.3335294118 0.3352941176 0.3370588235 0.3388235294 0.3405882353 0.3423529412 0.3441176471 0.3458823529 0.3476470588 0.3494117647 0.3511764706 0.3529411765 0.3547058824 0.3564705882 0.3582352941 0.36 0.3617647059 0.3635294118 0.3652941176 0.3670588235 0.3688235294 0.3705882353 0.3723529412 0.3741176471 0.3758823529 0.3776470588 0.3794117647 0.3811764706 0.3829411765 0.3847058824 0.3864705882 0.3882352941 0.39 0.3917647059 0.3935294118 0.3952941176 0.3970588235 0.3988235294 0.4005882353 0.4023529412 0.4041176471 0.4058823529 0.4076470588 0.4094117647 0.4111764706 0.4129411765 0.4147058824 0.4164705882 0.4182352941 0.42 0.4217647059 0.4235294118 0.4252941176 0.4270588235 0.4288235294 0.4305882353 0.4323529412 0.4341176471 0.4358823529 0.4376470588 0.4394117647 0.4411764706 0.4429411765 0.4447058824 0.4464705882 0.4482352941 0.45 ]
It feels like an expensive console!
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:56 AM   #7926
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmG View Post
I can probably live with that (lack of precision). It's when I drive it from CSI instead that the val is always coming out as 63, regardless of the position on the fader.



Am I missing something? Even if I go back and define it as a Fader7Bit, the val is always 63 through CSI, but works directly through Reaper.
Yes, that is still a problem, pondering...
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 AM   #7927
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Where is the text string used"Low Shelf Q"? I am trying to find a way to get this data to an iPad with Lemur so it can show the parameters and the values as they change because many of the EQ plugs don't shows this unless it moused.
We used TouchOSC in the video you've seen, there are some .ost and .zon files included in the build, maybe have a look at those.

There is a fair amount of magic going on with the TouchOSC implementation -- we used their editor to build FX GUI pages with tags that get sent from Reaper when the FX is mapped.
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:13 AM   #7928
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I have a feeling that Geoff will face-palm at the sight of this :-)
Nope, actually really excited that the potential of CSI is beginning to be exercised

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
It feels like an expensive console!
That's the whole point, right ?

Why spend all this money on these outboard surfaces if you don't get that A room feeling, and yeah, it's a tactile feeling, there is no substitute

Effectively CSI allows not only tapers but custom curves of any type using this approach.

Looks pretty scary syntactically though.

I vote we do something like:

Code:
        Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ scaryNumberFile.scn ]
We could even have some stock tapers and a top ten list of handy ones

Now we just need some click sounds and a bit of haptic on the knobs themselves. and we WILL be transported
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:30 AM   #7929
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I vote we do something like:

Code:
        Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ scaryNumberFile.scn ]
Would it be possible to create a syntax to act as a range limiter with maybe a built in step size? Example:

Code:
        Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ range: 0.0 0.5 stepsize: .015 ]
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:35 AM   #7930
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
I vote we do something like:

Code:
        Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ scaryNumberFile.scn ]
We could even have some stock tapers and a top ten list of handy ones

Now we just need some click sounds and a bit of haptic on the knobs themselves. and we WILL be transported
+100

Using big step sets is the only way to correct the atrocious scaling in some plugins (Cockos plugins are particulary egregious in this regard, ReaComp needs a 75 step set for acceptable resolution at the ends of many of its parameters)

Also it's the only way to get superfine encoder resolution- I have a 10,000 step set to adjust the pitch by 1/100ths of a semitone in Samplomatic5000 and another of 59 steps that changes the pitch in semi-tones.

If the acceleration that was recently introduced could apply to step sets as well as continuous values, that would be really handy. Perhaps by 'jumping' values in the set?

Being able to keep the tables in separate files would be awesome. That way they only have to read into memory once! (believe me, once you have 300 FX zones, you notice the slow down. Maybe an FX zone cache at some point in the future?)
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 AM   #7931
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,367
Default

Incidentally, generating the set in Excel is a doddle. Then you cut'n'paste into BBEdit, strip out the LF and blank lines and cut'n'paste into the .zon
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 04:26 PM   #7932
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Maybe there's an improvement we can make to CycleTrackAutoMode.

Right now when you press it, it advances.

Thing is, you don't know where you are currently.

Perhaps the first press should just show current auto mode.

If you press before it reverts, it will then advance.

Seems a little cleaner.

What do you think ?
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #7933
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Maybe there's an improvement we can make to CycleTrackAutoMode.

Right now when you press it, it advances.

Thing is, you don't know where you are currently.

Perhaps the first press should just show current auto mode.

If you press before it reverts, it will then advance.

Seems a little cleaner.

What do you think ?
Here's my thinking: I probably know where I'm currently at. At least, it's usually written on the big monitor in front of me so finding out isn't hard. Also, how do you define "first press?" First press per track per project? First press in a minute? First press in five minutes?

I almost think you're better off keeping as is honestly.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #7934
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
Here's my thinking: I probably know where I'm currently at. At least, it's usually written on the big monitor in front of me so finding out isn't hard. Also, how do you define "first press?" First press per track per project? First press in a minute? First press in five minutes?

I almost think you're better off keeping as is honestly.
Man, did I do a poor job of explaining that one

Let's go through the use case:

"Rhodes" is track name.

Automation mode is "Write".

Push Shift+RecordArm

"Write" displays on the screen for a moment.

Then "Rhodes" displays again.

Push Shift+RecordArm.

"Write" displays on the screen for a moment.

If you press Push Shift+RecordArm whilst "Write" is displayed, it will advance.

It's working here and I really like it.

Press once to see where you are, and you can immediately press again to cycle if you wish.

If you instead wait and let the track name display, the subsequent press does not advance, it just indicates current position.

Man, as i type this, I realize it dosen't actually feel anywhere near this complicated, it actually feels very natural

I'll soon post a build to try
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #7935
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

New build is up implementing the behaviour described in previous post.

You MUST remove the TrackUniqueSelect from the old way in order for this to work:

Code:
	RecordArm|  		TrackRecordArm
	Shift+RecordArm|  	TrackUniqueSelect //  remove this line
	Shift+RecordArm|	CycleTrackAutoMode Display| [ 0 1 3 2 4 5 ]
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:12 PM   #7936
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Default

Makes sense. So as long as the current mode is displayed, you can press to advance. Easy peasy. Thanks for clarifying. And if you like it, don't let me second guess you! Particularly if I haven't even tried something yet.

I'm officially typing this post on my new PC so I fully expect to be in "reinstalling everything hell" and may not be able to test much the next few days as I get this PC back into shape. Then again, I'll probably be at my PC waiting for things to install so I may be around more.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:27 PM   #7937
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Incidentally, generating the set in Excel is a doddle. Then you cut'n'paste into BBEdit, strip out the LF and blank lines and cut'n'paste into the .zon
:-) I was using GoogleDocs Sheets, and made the formula work horizontally. Cut and Pasting from here to Visual Studio Code, works directly with no formatting required.

I would imagine that the more elega.nt solution would be a set of range and step arguments though
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #7938
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
We used TouchOSC in the video you've seen, there are some .ost and .zon files included in the build, maybe have a look at those.

There is a fair amount of magic going on with the TouchOSC implementation -- we used their editor to build FX GUI pages with tags that get sent from Reaper when the FX is mapped.
I think I was meaning that I don't understand the architecture of CSI enough to implement this.

So in my Zon File for an EQ for example I have the following.
Code:
Rotary2 FXParam "4" "Low-Shelf Gain"
Rotary2 Name of Widget (user defined in .MST/.OST/.EST file.
FXParam Action name that this widget will trigger.
"4" Zero based index of the Action's potential parameters.
"Low-Shelf Gain" User configured text string.

So, how do I get this text string to be sent to an OSC device when it is updated. How and were do I define this in the .ost or .zon for the device?

Many thanks
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:44 PM   #7939
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Nope, actually really excited that the potential of CSI is beginning to be exercised

That's the whole point, right ?

Why spend all this money on these outboard surfaces if you don't get that A room feeling, and yeah, it's a tactile feeling, there is no substitute
Couldn't agree more Geoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Looks pretty scary syntactically though.
I agree with FunkyBots syntax.
Code:
Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ range: 0.0 0.5 stepsize: .015 ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Now we just need some click sounds and a bit of haptic on the knobs themselves. and we WILL be transported
Oh sheesh - now you have said it, it has to be done. Its quite straightforward to build an Arduino Teensy with a Piezo and a Midi Input. What CSI messaging syntax would be needed to send out a Click each time a click enabled widget is changed?
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:47 PM   #7940
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I think I was meaning that I don't understand the architecture of CSI enough to implement this.

So in my Zon File for an EQ for example I have the following.
Code:
Rotary2 FXParam "4" "Low-Shelf Gain"
Rotary2 Name of Widget (user defined in .MST/.OST/.EST file.
FXParam Action name that this widget will trigger.
"4" Zero based index of the Action's potential parameters.
"Low-Shelf Gain" User configured text string.

So, how do I get this text string to be sent to an OSC device when it is updated. How and were do I define this in the .ost or .zon for the device?

Many thanks
None of the above

If you get the free editor for TouchOSC and open up the TouchOSC layouts, I think it will all start to make sense, if not ask way
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #7941
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
+100
I have a 10,000 step set to adjust the pitch by 1/100ths of a semitone in Samplomatic5000 and another of 59 steps that changes the pitch in semi-tones.
Thats quite a large string of values Mr Monkey! WTF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Being able to keep the tables in separate files would be awesome. That way they only have to read into memory once! (believe me, once you have 300 FX zones, you notice the slow down. Maybe an FX zone cache at some point in the future?)
Seems like you are the CSI Jedi :-)
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #7942
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
New build is up implementing the behaviour described in previous post.

You MUST remove the TrackUniqueSelect from the old way in order for this to work:

Code:
	RecordArm|  		TrackRecordArm
	Shift+RecordArm|  	TrackUniqueSelect //  remove this line
	Shift+RecordArm|	CycleTrackAutoMode Display| [ 0 1 3 2 4 5 ]
Thanks Geoff, I shall try this out in a bit.

TBH in reading it I felt it could be adding a layer of pandering that I don't feel would be needed. But then that's probably because every implementation of this auto mode cycling I have used doesn't have this function and so I am completely used to going through the mode cycle a few times. Once to learn where I was, and then a second time because I missed the one I wanted on the first cycle - hehe.

Doing a automation pass on a vocal ride wouldn't be the same without 10 presses of the mode buttons first. :-)
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:02 AM   #7943
airon
Human being with feelings
 
airon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Berlin
Posts: 10,670
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
...
I vote we do something like:

Code:
        Rotary5 FXParam "0" "HP Freq" [ scaryNumberFile.scn ]
We could even have some stock tapers and a top ten list of handy ones

Now we just need some click sounds and a bit of haptic on the knobs themselves. and we WILL be transported
Nice idea. That'll be especially useful when putting together FX zones in the editor.

As was already pointed out, there are parameters you might even use TWO knobs for, both encoders. Coarse and fine control. All it takes is two *.scn files at agreeable tapers.

This would also make it easy to flip what direction the encoder/fader/who-knows-what takes the parameter.

Tables like that take a couple of bytes up to a few kilobytes. Laughable.
__________________
Dialogue/FX Editor & Re-Recording Mixer
(Video)Using Latch Preview - Faderport16 CSI
"My ego comes pre-shrunk" - Randy Thom
airon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:07 AM   #7944
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Hey Geoff, EuCon Surface modifiers. Do you think it likely that you will be able to access these so we can use them in the config?
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:15 AM   #7945
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
None of the above

If you get the free editor for TouchOSC and open up the TouchOSC layouts, I think it will all start to make sense, if not ask way
Spent a few hours this evening on this and the results are all sad-face. Can get the C4Emu patch to register play and stop and thats it. Its very similar to my experience with trying my own setups so perhaps there is something screwy with OSC?
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:19 AM   #7946
rmusmeci
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Italy
Posts: 7
Default

Hey Geoff,
very good work with CSI, it works very well with my nanoK2.

If I can suggest, is there some "where am I?" visual feedback in the developments?
It can be really useful feature for controllers without a visual feedback of the tracks they are controlling. If your project contains many tracks, you can loose yourself before you find on which tracks you are on.

Maybe some thick coloured borders around the tracks can be really valuable.
rmusmeci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:50 AM   #7947
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
:-) I was using GoogleDocs Sheets, and made the formula work horizontally. Cut and Pasting from here to Visual Studio Code, works directly with no formatting required.
Excellent idea! I'll give that a try

Quote:
I would imagine that the more elega.nt solution would be a set of range and step arguments though
Perhaps, but if you generate them in a spread sheet you're not limited to a fixed step size. I've been experimenting with some exponential sets with interesting results. So the step size changes relative to the parameter vslue.

Quote:
Thats quite a large string of values Mr Monkey! WTF.
It was only for the Samplomatic5000, I really needed that fine control over the pitch. I was impressed that CSI took it in its stride! Dedicating two controls to one parameter using different sets worked really well too.

Quote:
Seems like you are the CSI Jedi :-)
I'm certainly CSI's OCD champ

I have a Mackie C4 controller and it works so well with CSI that I wrote some Excel code that generates the .zon files (the C4 configurator- details earlier in the thread)

Since having that, I've been churning the FX files out
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:47 AM   #7948
tdc
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
Perhaps, but if you generate them in a spread sheet you're not limited to a fixed step size. I've been experimenting with some exponential sets with interesting results. So the step size changes relative to the parameter vslue.
You are of course right - it offers much more flexibility, but I feel that it could also be another layer of challenge for folks to get setup. In a sequin laden universe, Geoff would create both options. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
It was only for the Samplomatic5000, I really needed that fine control over the pitch. I was impressed that CSI took it in its stride! Dedicating two controls to one parameter using different sets worked really well too.
I am impressed at your actually trying it out. Most coding fails I have a related to string sizes it seems so I would be shy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMonkey View Post
I have a Mackie C4 controller and it works so well with CSI that I wrote some Excel code that generates the .zon files (the C4 configurator- details earlier in the thread) Since having that, I've been churning the FX files out
Sounds very smart! I usually try and do the same wherever you find yourself repeating the same task more than a few times. I do however draw the line at writing code to make a template engine that makes templates. I know some of those folks, and they don't make good conversationalists at BBQ's.
tdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:01 AM   #7949
MixMonkey
Human being with feelings
 
MixMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: London, England.
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
I am impressed at your actually trying it out. Most coding fails I have a related to string sizes it seems so I would be shy.
Yes, I agree. Most fails are due to incorrect step sizes and some plugins are more difficult than others. I usually use BlueCat Patchwork to get the step values, as you can adjust an assigned controller in 1% steps using the up/down arrows (0.0 - 1.0 = 0% - 100%)

Quote:
Sounds very smart! I usually try and do the same wherever you find yourself repeating the same task more than a few times. I do however draw the line at writing code to make a template engine that makes templates. I know some of those folks, and they don't make good conversationalists at BBQ's.
Actually the code produces a finished .zon file (notwithstanding the stepped parameter values, which came after it was written) It's a lot easier to lay out a plugin on a 4 x 8 spreadsheet grid than in a text file
MixMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:06 AM   #7950
spkr4thdd
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 58
Red face X-Touch Cycle and Zones

Ploughing through almost 8,000 posts to catch up with everything... the last time I really paid any attention to this thread was about 5 years ago! Can't believe how much this has come! And yet still so frustrating in places... (surface linked, not software of course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofia View Post
Holy s**t!
There are statements in cycle action menu!!
Now I can do all the things that i aim to!
Paradise is open!!!
YEEEEEEE
Sofia, how did you get that Cycle action window up? That would be really helpful in sorting out some of these Behringer X-Touch actions...

Also, did you get Zoom sorted? I think I have the buttons carrying out the correct (Mackie protocol default) actions, but can't get the lights to work properly at all!

Can I ask what stage your .zon files are at for the X-Touch? I'm building on those shared by Mike, but wonder if you might be willing to share yours? Also, did you see the doc which listed EVERY message the X-Touch sends that someone created on another (Behringer?) forum? It explains the SysEx structure for the coloured scribble strips etc... looks interesting and perhaps a challenge once I have all the Encoder Assignments and View buttons sorted??
spkr4thdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:05 PM   #7951
nofish
Human being with feelings
 
nofish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: home is where the heart is
Posts: 9,634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
Sofia, how did you get that Cycle action window up?
It's part of SWS extension.
https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.p..._S%26M_Cycling

latest SWS beta here:
https://www.sws-extension.org/download/pre-release/
nofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:12 PM   #7952
spkr4thdd
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofish View Post
It's part of SWS extension.
Hey! Thanks!
The learning curve is definitely upward!
spkr4thdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:34 PM   #7953
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Hey Geoff, EuCon Surface modifiers. Do you think it likely that you will be able to access these so we can use them in the config?
Not likely. I'm afraid, I use the Launchpad for modifiers.
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:35 PM   #7954
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdc View Post
Spent a few hours this evening on this and the results are all sad-face. Can get the C4Emu patch to register play and stop and thats it. Its very similar to my experience with trying my own setups so perhaps there is something screwy with OSC?
Ok, so you are using TouchOSC C4Emu patch and successfully getting Stop and Play to work in Reaper?
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #7955
Geoff Waddington
Human being with feelings
 
Geoff Waddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,905
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmusmeci View Post
Hey Geoff,
very good work with CSI, it works very well with my nanoK2.

If I can suggest, is there some "where am I?" visual feedback in the developments?
It can be really useful feature for controllers without a visual feedback of the tracks they are controlling. If your project contains many tracks, you can loose yourself before you find on which tracks you are on.

Maybe some thick coloured borders around the tracks can be really valuable.
Yes, we had a feeble proof of concept going a while back, it's definitely on the to do list.
__________________
CSI - You can donate here: geoffwaddington.ca
Beta software: https://stash.reaper.fm/v/38349/CSI%20beta.zip
installation and documentation here: https://github.com/malcolmgroves/reaper_csi/wiki
Geoff Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #7956
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 396
Default

Hey Geoff. Just wanna throw this out hoping it can be a feature request. Dont know if this is something you could implement into CSI...but i would kill to be able to control the button lights on my surface through CSI. I know there is fb_twostate but it only works on some buttons. All my buttons light but the do what they want lol. Some stay light when im using the action of that particular button .some only light while im holding them. Some dont light at all. No matter how i have them mapped. I got this csi set up almost perfect. I got pages for differnt things and fx . Really got it gigging. Only problem i have is getting lost at times lol. When in modifier latch modes and whatever. I always find myself lost and forgetting where i am. If only i could tell csi to tell the button to blink....or stay lit...or dont light...or whatever i want it to do. Is that a possibility?? Now i have an emergency home zone mapped to the same button in all pages and fx zones so i can always get back home. But it would be nice to be able to know where i am at all times just by the right mode button staying lit or blinking or something. Is this a possible feature or wishful thinking ?? Thanks Geoff and to all for feedback
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:16 PM   #7957
spkr4thdd
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Scotland
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cragster View Post
...but i would kill to be able to control the button lights on my surface through CSI.
I second this! The X-Touch has a light on every button I think? And, as Cragster says about his surface, they don't all necessarily reflect their state at the moment?

AFAIK all the lights on the X-Touch can be in one of three states; off (00), flashing (01) or solid (02-7F). As an example...

If I arm a track to record I'd like the Record button on the transport to flash. Then, when I Press play it would turn solid.
spkr4thdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #7958
Funkybot
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
Not likely. I'm afraid, I use the Launchpad for modifiers.
Is plugin control coming to Eucon or is that unlikely? For all I know it may already be possible.
Funkybot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #7959
Cragster
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Quakertown PA USA
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkr4thdd View Post
I second this! The X-Touch has a light on every button I think? And, as Cragster says about his surface, they don't all necessarily reflect their state at the moment?

AFAIK all the lights on the X-Touch can be in one of three states; off (00), flashing (01) or solid (02-7F). As an example...

If I arm a track to record I'd like the Record button on the transport to flash. Then, when I Press play it would turn solid.
I didnt even see that you posted kind of the same right before i did. Yes that would be sweet. It realy woud make CSI perfect (for me anyway) i probly would never bother Geoff again . Ok maybe for the master meter haha but i would definitely give him a long break from my newbieness haha
Cragster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:49 PM   #7960
rschlierbeck
Human being with feelings
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 45
Default Getting Started

Hi,

I'm currently struggling with getting started and wonder if anyone can give me a nudge.

I have a BCR2000 and a BCF2000. I thought I would start with a very simple example and try to get the BCR2000 to control ReaEQ. I've read the wiki over and over and no doubt I'm missing something or just dense.

I have created a BCR2000.mst file and I can see inside REAPER that I am reading values when I twist knobs and the names correspond to the names in my BCR2000.mst file. So I think I have that part done, if not correctly then at least mostly correct. I can post it if it would help.

Example: Twisting some knobs in the CSI Edit window with Show Input from Surfaces -

IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT2 -0.125000
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT2 -0.625000
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT2 -0.625000
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT2 -0.312500
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT3 -0.125000
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT4 -0.125000
IN <- BCR2000 RotaryT4 -0.312500


Next I created a very simple zon file; BCR2000.zon that has only the following in it.

Zone "Home"
OnFXFocus MapFocusedFXToWidgets
ZoneEnd

the I have a ReaEQ.zon file that looks like this:

Zone "VST: ReaEQ (Cockos)" ReaEQ
FocusedFXNavigator
RotaryM2 FXParam 0 "Freq-Band 1"
RotaryT2 FXParam 1 "Gain-Band 1"
RotaryB2 FXParam 2 "Q-Band 1"
RotaryM3 FXParam 3 "Freq-Band 2"
RotaryT3 FXParam 4 "Gain-Band 2"
RotaryB3 FXParam 5 "Q-Band 2"
RotaryM3 FXParam 6 "Freq-Band 3"
RotaryT4 FXParam 7 "Gain-Band 3"
RotaryB4 FXParam 8 "Q-Band 3"
RotaryM5 FXParam 9 "Freq-Band 4"
RotaryT5 FXParam 10 "Gain-Band 4"
RotaryB5 FXParam 11 "Q-Band 4"
RotaryM6 FXParam 12 "Freq-Band 5"
RotaryT6 FXParam 13 "Gain-Band 5"
RotaryB6 FXParam 14 "Q-Band 5"
RotaryM7 FXParam 15 "Freq-Band 6"
RotaryT7 FXParam 16 "Gain-Band 6"
RotaryB7 FXParam 17 "Q-Band 6"
RotaryM8 FXParam 18 "Freq-Band 7"
RotaryT8 FXParam 19 "Gain-Band 7"
RotaryB8 FXParam 20 "Q-Band 7"
RotaryM9 FXParam 21 "Freq-Band 8"
RotaryT9 FXParam 22 "Gain-Band 8"
RotaryB9 FXParam 23 "Q-Band 8"
ZoneEnd


Both my zon files are inside a folder named BCR2000. When I add an instance of ReaEQ to a track and open it up I am not able to get the BCR2000 to control anything. I feel that if I could get this simple example working I would be able to start making some progress. Any guidance is really appreciated.

Thanks,

Jones

I may have just spotted my problem. The names in my ReaEQ.zon file don't match. Off to edit that and try again. Nope still nothing.

Last edited by rschlierbeck; 04-07-2020 at 05:03 PM.
rschlierbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.