Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 10-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
sean-temple
Human being with feelings

Default "There was an error parsing the specified project" Reaper 4 - Please Help!!!

I've been a Reaper user for more than a few years now, so I'm pretty experienced with the program's use, features, problems, etc.
I was running my unlicensed version of Reaper 4 32-bit - most recent update.
My CPU is a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB RAM
Interface: M-Audio Profire 2626 (never gives me problems)

I was working on a project for days, on and off.
After running the project for a few hours and just got done recording some of my vocals, and already had the whole session arranged, edited, mixed, and mastered; nearly complete musically... My CPU crashed from a memory dump. I was thinking, running Reaper too long and/or too much memory load time. It doesn't happen often, but I've experienced it before.

So, I thought "Okay, no problem. I'll just wait for it to restart and get back to work when my CPU loads back up, since I constantly save my sessions". Then I go to open my session: "There was an error parsing the specified project." I try my .RPP-bak file. No go either!

I already tried a few things like moving my .RPP files to my C Drive and opening it from there. Nothing. My main .RPP session file is now renamed, .RPP-NEWTEMP. I tried renaming that, opened it again. Nothing.

I heard from another forum that some of you Reaper users or coders can dissect the .RPP session file's code and "fix the bug".

Can someone please help me by possibly doing that, teaching me how to do it myself, or show me an alternative way of fixing the bug???
PLEASE HELP!

I've attached a zipped file of both the main .RPP and the .RPP-bak files.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Suicide.zip (19.8 KB, 115 views)
sean-temple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
spk77

I tried to open the files in text editor, but unfortunately it seems they can't be fixed/restored (normally the rpp-files are in XML-like format, they can be opened in a text editor). Let's hope someone else finds a way to restore the files. Here's a gif - the first file is a working rpp file:
spk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
sean-temple

Thanks for trying. I'm still holding onto hope. LOL
I worked really hard on that project.
I still have all the audio files, but half of my work was midi.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
karbomusic

The zeros (depending on the editor) are demonstrating that its completely corrupt. IOW the chars could be total gibberish (non printable chars) or actually only zeros, either way I'd consider that unrecoverable.

Additionally, this is the exact behavior I see when text based files get corrupted when a crash or BSOD happen when that file is open or being written to at the time of the crash.

Edit: just opened it in Notepad++ which shows the zeros as "NUL". Basically, corrupted.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:29 AM   #5
spk77

I don't know if this helps (for corrupted files), but you could try f.ex. this free file recovery program: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

I just tested it - I completely deleted a file named "23.976_timeline.RPP" and then scanned my hard drive:

Here are the settings I used (23.976_timeline.RPP is in the "filter box")

After scanning - the first file is the deleted "23.976_timeline.RPP"
Old 10-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #6
sean-temple

I hear what you're saying karbomusic. The zero's. This is gonna suck...
Old 10-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean-temple View Post
I hear what you're saying karbomusic. The zero's. This is gonna suck...
Sorry about that, you might try the OPs suggestion to see if there is a deleted copy or something that can be recovered. That's all I can think of.

In the future you might set it up so Reaper auto-saves a backup every ~n minutes. That should leave you with at least a few useable files. The couple of times I have had a BSOD and this same issue, that's how I recovered from it.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
sean-temple

Yeah I'm running that scanning program that he suggested, but he was referring to deleted files. Mine aren't deleted, but corrupted, so I'm not sure why he suggested that. Plus my session and all of my audio/video projects are on my F Drive - 2TB raid 0, separate from my C Drive - SSD.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:00 AM   #9
karbomusic

Quote:
Yeah I'm running that scanning program that he suggested, but he was referring to deleted files. Mine aren't deleted, but corrupted, so I'm not sure why he suggested that. Plus my session and all of my audio/video projects are on my F Drive - 2TB raid 0, separate from my C Drive - SSD.
Right, I agree... it was just a longshot just in case there was some good copy that got deleted.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #10
spk77

Quote:
I meant that it might be possible to find/recover corrupted files from hard drive with a file recovery program. You should select the drive/location where the file is/was. I used this program (If I remember correctly) once when my hard drive went from "NTFS" to "RAW" - I got my important files back.

It seems to be possible to search by "file content"
Old 10-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by spk77 View Post
I meant that it might be possible to find/recover corrupted files from hard drive with a file recovery program.
That's worthwhile to do and a good point but usually that's for corruption at the disk sector level. In this instance the disk subsystem is just fine but the data itself in the file appears corrupted (aka turned to gibberish) not how they are stored (as far as we know thus far).

Your idea was still worth trying though, the above is just a technical FYI.