Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 09-09-2011, 05:40 PM   #161
Kenny Gioia
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post

When I have x comp that I like how do I get it on its own track while keeping everything that I already did?

Sorry to hijack the thread.... im sure many a folk will find this useful tho!
If you want it on a separate track, just duplicate it, then select "Crop to Active Take" and the other takes go away on that track. Then Mute the other track and hide it.

If you want it on the same track you can just leave it alone or select "move active comp to top lane" but I would probably just choose "lock to active take" so that you can leave your options open but avoid accidently switching takes.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #162
Chris Martins

Just ordered from Groove 3, and on sale too !

Thanks for the effort. I'll be checking it out as soon as it's finished downloading all the while watching the rugby world cup in New Zealand. YAY !
Chris Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #163
Kundalinguist

Kenny, aside from the new v.4.0 features, do both your v3 & v4 videos cover the same ground? In other words, do they share the same info, more or less?

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #164
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
Kenny, aside from the new v.4.0 features, do both your v3 & v4 videos cover the same ground? In other words, do they share the same info, more or less?

Thanks.
That's a difficult question to answer and something I struggled with as I made this tutorial.

I wanted to give people who already bought R3E and were now buying R4E more, but I also had to cover everything from R3E. I couldn't expect someone to buy both and figure it out.

So I basically covered everything all over again plus what's new in Reaper 4.

But, I also went thru and watched each tutorial in R3E and either expanded on it (with even more examples) or just improved the way I explained it.

It wouldn't have been very inspiring for me to just shoot it again with a different theme so I really tried to add something new to it.

How that effects each user would vary.

Sometimes I throw the slightest tip in there and some see it as mind-blowing and others find it old hat.

Thanks
Old 09-11-2011, 05:56 PM   #165
lxm

Definitely see how it would be hard. I just finished the full tut and think you kept a good balance. Learned a ton. That being said.... im stoked for an advanced/tip and tricks vid.
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #166
Kundalinguist

Thanks Kenny. That's the explanation I was hoping for. I figured you had to stay with teaching the basics of the program and couldn't veer from that. But as you said, little pieces of advice work their way in there that can be priceless.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #167
ivansc

You just received about £20 via paypal and I now have to wait 54 minutes whilst my slow as molasses isp downloads the file.
Looking forward to it!
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #168
borg64

Default Reaper 4 Explained reviewed

I wrote this li'l review specifically from the perspective of someone looking to switch DAW's, where Reaper 4 Explained (and briefly also its predecessor, Reaper 3 Explained) was used to facilitate a thorough capability estimation of the application itself, Reaper 4. Sorry for the length of it, feel free to skip to the last paragraph for the summary.

By the way, I also posted this at Gearslutz, but I reckoned it'd be fitting to out myself here as well.

<Ahem.>

After my last couple of mix projects, I realized my beloved Logic had - for numerous reasons - turned into a giant buzzkiller for me, and with the joy all but gone, the need to sort this out once and for all became imminent.

I had heard many horror stories about Reaper's requirement of endless tweaking/too many options, non-reliant compatibility with third party plugins, lack of professional support et cetera, but the Reaper crowd were very vocal in their support so I surfed over to Cockos' website to see what the fuzz was really all about. At an admittedly prejudiced glance, learning Reaper soon seemed an almost unsurmountable task without investing some serious time. In short, my Grumpy Attitude Hat™ was firmly in place.

Having seen Kenny Gioia's Mixing Rock tutorial in the past - finding it both educational and entertaining enough to watch the whole way through - I noticed he'd also done one on Reaper. I decided to buy and watch it before even downloading the Reaper installer. I figured that if this video wouldn't convince me of the benefits, the time saved would very much be worth the $30 prize of admission, and I'd finally end up with Pro Tools after all.

First of all, and in my opinion this soon turned out to be R4E's most prominent feature: Kenny's the perfect teacher for this medium. Just like in Mixing Rock, everything's concise and to the point the whole way through, and the whole arrangement is very pedagogically organized. As with life in general, as long as you're up to speed on your caffeine intake, you'll be fine. And should you miss anything, the power of the medium lets you simply rewind 30 seconds and watch it again.

Early on, it becomes evident that Reaper is no slouch, and about a quarter in it dawned on me how much info Kenny actually manages to convey during each segment. Even the initial chapters, covering such adrenaline-pumping topics as Tracks & The Track Manager, and New Projects & Templates (the fundamental basics which all deceitfully hinted towards being boring and skippable at first), are smack-full of useful bits which will definitely speed up your immediate workflow if you're as new to Reaper as I am.

As the chapters passed, I found myself not only agreeing with the operational setup Cockos has implemented here, but also asking myself why so much of this stuff never made it into Logic? I couldn't have dreamed of having access to some of the possibilities offered here before, yet these just-discovered gems of flexibility suddenly merges effortlessly into the new workflow. To paraphrase Louis C.K.; "What you didn't even know existed 10 seconds ago, now you can't live without."

All this said about flexibility and potential, prior to getting my hands on Kenny's video, I browsed through the official PDF manual and for me that only helped ascertain the fact that Reaper can indeed come off as way too much to handle; the configuration possibilities of Reaper 4 borders on insanity (it felt eerily similar to when going up against Logic's Environment the first few times), and I fully understand why many just give up on it altogether before really giving it a fair try. The flexibility on offer here comes at the potentially steep cost in dedicating time to go down the proverbial rabbit hole, learning the ins and outs and tinkering under the hood to get everything as streamlined to your own liking as possible.

From this perspective alone, I strongly recommend Reaper 4 Explained. I also advise those watching it to keep the Reaper application open in the background while following each chapter in the tutorial. There are a lot of preferences and shortcuts you'll probably want to configure as soon as they are introduced, as it becomes increasingly difficult to keep track of every parameter mentioned, especially if you're watching the whole thing in one big chunk. Personalizing important settings and behaviors in Reaper at an early stage made my own transition much more enjoyable once it was time to start working with it, and definitely saved me a lot of frustration up ahead. I also found that PDF much easier to use as a reference after spending time with the video. Things just kind of clicked better.

Content-wise, you're pretty much covered. Apart from the bare essentials, I'm fairly certain R4E will inspire even current and seasoned Reaper users with the many tips and tricks presented during these 31 chapters. The sheer length of this video might seem a bit daunting at first (it sure did to me), but I can honestly say there is no filler material here. Actually, after having watched through it all, it's nothing short of mindblowing how all this pertinent good stuff fits in there in only seven and a half hours, while managing to retain the viewer's interest with seemingly no effort at all.

This video managed to successfully remove every single doubt I had about migrating to Reaper from Logic, and I can assure you I had plenty of doubts. After operating almost exclusively in Logic for about 6 years, there are bound to be workflow specifics that need some rethinking and adapting to when changing hosts. But rather than to agonize about it, I'm now looking forward to leaving much of those old ways behind me. I believe that this video could actually serve as Reaper's best sales pitch for those skeptical yet curious. It sure worked on me, although seven and a half hours sure make for one helluva pitch. To be honest, they had me less than halfway through.

Reaper 4 Explained is a great showcase for Reaper for those interested enough to dig in and learn something new, flawlessly hosted by a very talented teacher. Even at the non-discounted prize ($40), it's a bargain and a timesaver.

Sven

Borglab website and Borglab on Twitter.
borg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #169
bluzkat

borg64,

Nice write up!

Welcome to Reaperville.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:22 PM   #170
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post

Welcome to Reaperville.

Damn. That would have made a nice title.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:48 AM   #171
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Damn. That would have made a nice title.
Kenny,

Use it on your new upcoming video, if you like... I do not hold any kind of copyright on those three words!!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:46 AM   #172
bob

Just finished Reaper 4 Explained.Excellent.Your a great teacher.Clear and concise.
Question.Are you doing another video maybe on the more advanced aspects of Reaper??like Side Chaining and Parameter modulation for example.
cheers.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:18 AM   #173
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Just finished Reaper 4 Explained.Excellent.Your a great teacher.Clear and concise.
Question.Are you doing another video maybe on the more advanced aspects of Reaper??like Side Chaining and Parameter modulation for example.
cheers.
Yes.

And thank you.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 AM   #174
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Kenny,

Use it on your new upcoming video, if you like... I do not hold any kind of copyright on those three words!!

I would, but Reaper Tips and Tricks - Welcome to Reaperville doesn't really roll off the tongue.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:09 PM   #175
sostenuto

Kenny,.... well into your new v4 tutorial and it is helping a lot for a home studio user with no previous DAW background. Stretching this Thread __ but just saw the new Groove3 Omnisphere offering and hoping it will take me well beyond the excellent tutorials, etc., from Spectrasonics. From a Reaper / Omnisphere perspective, can you point to specific Reaper 4 Explained 'lessons' which you feel tie really well to Omni and Eli K's new offering?

Learning both of these tools at once is pretty challenging as an amateur keyboardist_user. Do you see something coming down the line soon which does even more to synergize Reaper / Spectrasonics and teach how to get the most out of Omni, Stylus, Trilian combos? I'm thinking about key Settings throughout Reaper to free up much lost time figuring out those subtle tricks you do so well.

Thank-you for a superb result with R4Ex !!
Tom B
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 AM   #176
borg64

Quote:
Welcome to Reaperville.
Many thanks, I think I'm staying.

Borglab website and Borglab on Twitter.
borg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #177
CapitalC

I actually came to post a link to this wonderful tutorial and found this thread. So I'll just add a +1 for this video series, it is really really good. I have only watched a few vids, downloaded it last night, but it has thoroughly impressed.

I've been using Reaper for 2 years now, and have learned mostly by reading the manual, googling and posting on these awesome forums. I wish I knew of the Grove 3 video site back then

But, I do now.....highly recomended.

oh, and if you buy it, you can download it of course, but you can also watch it online anywhere......that's pretty cool!

Last edited by CapitalC; 09-16-2011 at 08:44 AM.
CapitalC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:05 AM   #178
endcamp

Thx for the video. That technique can be applied to a MIDI track or only to audio?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #179
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFB37 View Post
Kenny,.... well into your new v4 tutorial and it is helping a lot for a home studio user with no previous DAW background. Stretching this Thread __ but just saw the new Groove3 Omnisphere offering and hoping it will take me well beyond the excellent tutorials, etc., from Spectrasonics. From a Reaper / Omnisphere perspective, can you point to specific Reaper 4 Explained 'lessons' which you feel tie really well to Omni and Eli K's new offering?

Learning both of these tools at once is pretty challenging as an amateur keyboardist_user. Do you see something coming down the line soon which does even more to synergize Reaper / Spectrasonics and teach how to get the most out of Omni, Stylus, Trilian combos? I'm thinking about key Settings throughout Reaper to free up much lost time figuring out those subtle tricks you do so well.

Thank-you for a superb result with R4Ex !!
Tom B
Reaper Explained doesn't get too deep with virtual instruments.

We go over how to record using midi and such but the complexities will be covered in Reaper Tips and Tricks.

The one issue I am having is which synths to use.

Spectrasonics is pretty common but I can't realistically cover them all.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #180
grayter1

Quote:
The one issue I am having is which synths to use.

Spectrasonics is pretty common but I can't realistically cover them all.
I don't want to open the flood gates for specific requests, but love 'em or hate 'em - some form of NI Komplete is in an awful lot of sessions. I also teach a post production for film/broadcast class at IPR in Minneapolis, and the students get a healthy exposure to NI's stuff.

Terry
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #181
deanc2000

Default Re:plugins.

Why not just stick with the Reaper included plugins like: ReaFir, Reatune, etc? There are like dozens of them and I think I've only used like 20%, and it's mainly because there really aren't any tutorials on the others.

Dean.
deanc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:13 PM   #182
CapitalC

just had to chime in again....like I say, I've been using Reaper for 2 years at least.....so I should just skip to the meat of these videos, right? WRONG......I've learned a TON and I'm on video 6!!! and there's over 30!!! I didn't even know there was a project bay

Kenny, you are an excellent, excellent presenter! you leave no stone unturned!

Some people burn through a season of Mad Men on the weekend..... I prefer this!
CapitalC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #183
amrodan

Just picked up my copy! I love it!
amrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #184
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalC View Post
I actually came to post a link to this wonderful tutorial and found this thread. So I'll just add a +1 for this video series, it is really really good. I have only watched a few vids, downloaded it last night, but it has thoroughly impressed.

I've been using Reaper for 2 years now, and have learned mostly by reading the manual, googling and posting on these awesome forums. I wish I knew of the Grove 3 video site back then

But, I do now.....highly recomended.

oh, and if you buy it, you can download it of course, but you can also watch it online anywhere......that's pretty cool!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalC View Post
just had to chime in again....like I say, I've been using Reaper for 2 years at least.....so I should just skip to the meat of these videos, right? WRONG......I've learned a TON and I'm on video 6!!! and there's over 30!!! I didn't even know there was a project bay

Kenny, you are an excellent, excellent presenter! you leave no stone unturned!

Some people burn through a season of Mad Men on the weekend..... I prefer this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amrodan View Post
Just picked up my copy! I love it!
Thanks for the support.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:14 AM   #185
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by endcamp View Post
Thx for the video. That technique can be applied to a MIDI track or only to audio?
Which technique?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:17 AM   #186
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayter1 View Post
I don't want to open the flood gates for specific requests, but love 'em or hate 'em - some form of NI Komplete is in an awful lot of sessions. I also teach a post production for film/broadcast class at IPR in Minneapolis, and the students get a healthy exposure to NI's stuff.

Terry
Yeah. That's a pretty good one as well. I'm more or less going to go thru the basics of multi-output routing and printing or freezing the tracks. So I'm hoping that showing one will work for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanc2000 View Post
Why not just stick with the Reaper included plugins like: ReaFir, Reatune, etc? There are like dozens of them and I think I've only used like 20%, and it's mainly because there really aren't any tutorials on the others.

Dean.
Hmm. A Reaper plugins video might be another good choice. Thanks
Old 09-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #187
Kundalinguist

You know, "the technique."

[What's the matter, aren't you psychic?]
Old 09-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #188
timboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by asadoyle View Post
We are currently running a special price of $29.99.
Bummer......I missed out on the $29.99 special.
Was gonna buy the download on payday this week. But it is reg price now.
timboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #189
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboz View Post
Bummer......I missed out on the $29.99 special.
Was gonna buy the download on payday this week. But it is reg price now.
This :

Quote:

September Sales

Want to save some cash on your next order? Here is a code you can use to save an additional 20% for the month of September.

Coupon Code : SeptSave20
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 AM   #190
RoelD

Great work! Looking forward to "Reaper Advanced"

Roel

(just finished my first project in Reaper )
RoelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #191
Kundalinguist

I'm waiting for the release of:

"Reaper for Advanced Narcissistic Sexual Deviants."

Mirror and hand lotion not included.

[Happy Friday, ya'll ! ]
Old 09-23-2011, 10:26 AM   #192
amrodan

Nice reaper advanced sounds awesome!

And that guitar loop you record into reaper has been stuck in my head since I heard it.
amrodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #193
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrodan View Post
Nice reaper advanced sounds awesome!

And that guitar loop you record into reaper has been stuck in my head since I heard it.
LOL.

Perhaps I'll write a new one for the new video.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #194
lxm

Quote:
LOL.

Perhaps I'll write a new one for the new video.
No offense but a new song would be appreciated for the new vid Not that its bad at all.... its just the same one for two vids ya know!
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:48 AM   #195
simpic

Thank you very much Kenny, i have been using reaper for around 3 weeks now and i was unsure whether i needed this tutorial. I definatly needed it, im only 4 videos in and i have learnt so much. I realise now i have only been using reaper to about 5% of its capability so thanks for making these so interesting and easy to follow.

Simon
simpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #196
mossby

I'd like to tack on some more praise. After the first four videos I already felt like I understood Reaper better than ever. Now that I'm on the last four videos, I feel like I can actually THINK REAPER.

I've seen a huge boost in creativity as a result. My workflow and general DAW mindset has changed, and I'm experimenting in ways that would have been impossible without the foundation gained from Reaper 4 Explained.

For reference, I've been recording with Reaper for over a year. I started out twelve years ago with Cool Edit Pro, moved on to Logic for a spell, gave Nuendo a twirl, used ProTools in school, went steady with Cubase for 5 years, had a short affair with Ardour, and then found Reaper.

The point being, while I'm far from a seasoned pro, I'm by no means unfamiliar with DAWs, and these videos still blew my mind.
mossby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:14 PM   #197
deanc2000

Hi Kenny,

What's the ETA for the Reaper Tips and tricks video?

Dean.
deanc2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:56 AM   #198
jwilden

Hi Kenny,

Perhaps a bit of a side-trail here.

I first watched your tutorials in 2009 as a novice Pro Tools 8.0 LE user.

I learned a huge amount from your Music Production w/ Pro Tools Vol 1 - most of which I apply today to my work daily (despite the fact that I mostly work with Orchestral sound track material!)

So - will there ever be a part 2?

I'm also curious about what happened to the song. I heard it again when I watched Michael Costa's Waves mastering tutorial but this was still the board-mix that you ended up with at the end of the video.

The standout for me in this training was the focus on production rather than engineering.

Any plans for continuing the series?

Regardless. thanks for what you've done so far..

Jason.
jwilden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:30 AM   #199
quirkyboy

Great video tutorials Kenny but may I make a small suggestion for future vids ?
Is it possible to make the mouse arrow icon bigger in some way so it's easier to follow ?
Old 09-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #200
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkyboy View Post
Great video tutorials Kenny but may I make a small suggestion for future vids ?
Is it possible to make the mouse arrow icon bigger in some way so it's easier to follow ?
That's a great idea.

Thanks