Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #1
Omicron9
Human being with feelings

Default Glitches in recording - buffers?

Greetings.

New to Reaper; migrating over from Logic. Setup is:

Current version of Reaper
Windows 10
HP Elitebook (i7, 16 GM RAM, SSD)
RME Fireface UFX+ interface
WfFi disabled

I have followed the setup directions in the Reaper manual, and have read many threads here on the subject.

In recording fairly small projects (2 - 8 tracks), I am sometimes getting some glitchy or stuttering sounds in the recording (24/48). I am using all Reaper default settings. Latency doesn't matter, as I monitor using the RME TotalMix application.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Last edited by Omicron9; 01-05-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Omicron9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Coachz

Can you post a screenshot of your Prefs / Audio / Buffering ?

What is your buffer size on your interface atm ?

Open View / Performance Monitor / right click and show RT Cpu. What does that show ?

If latency doesn't matter, just increase the buffer size on your RME.
Coachz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:30 AM   #3
Omicron9

Here is the screenshot of the Reaper prefs.
RT CPU = ~1.6%. RAM use = 70 MB.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper buffering prefs.png (25.7 KB, 309 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #4
Coachz

I assume you are not getting reproducible glitches atm. I get them when RT CPU is over 55% and from what I have read RT CPU is highly correlated with glitches. Is it crackling/popping static kind of sound ?

What is your buffer size on your interface atm ?

Also try checking live processing and set it to 1. I also went in advanced disk options and enabled allow memory mapping of peak files.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
Omicron9

Interface buffer is 2048; I increased it from 1024 based on your suggestion. No, the glitches are very rare; I've only had 3 or 4, but I want to eliminate them, obviously.

A few crackling/popping/clicks, and a few like a very quick (less than a second) garbled sound.

Again, many thanks.

Last edited by Omicron9; 01-05-2019 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #6
Coachz

What rme interface ? Those are really high buffers. Try monitoring RT CPU when you decrease buffers to 256 with a track armed for recording with no fx on it. If you keep RT CPU below 50% I would not expect pops.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #7
Omicron9

I have the Fireface UFX+.
And I never use any effects or plug-ins when tracking.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Omicron9

Here is one example of an error.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper error1.zip (108.1 KB, 215 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #9
Omicron9

Here is another example.
All help greatly appreciated. This kind of problem will prevent me from using Reaper. I don't want that!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper error2.zip (138.4 KB, 151 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
Omicron9

Reaper disk I/O settings attached.
Attached Images
File Type: png Disk I-O settings.png (11.3 KB, 257 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #11
Omicron9

RT CPU with two tracks armed, no FX.
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper RT CPU.png (50.9 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
serr

Actually the first things to look at would be:

Are you running the project and hardware at the same sample rate?

Are you controlling the sample rate of the system from the Reaper control panel (Preferences/Audio/Device page. Box ticked = control from Reaper and use entered value. Box unticked means ignore any value entered on this page and release control to 3rd party apps.)

What is your block size and are you controlling this with the Reaper control panel or another app?
(If you aren't monitoring live audio through the computer, set the latency high with a 512 or 1024 sample block size.)

Controlling both sample rate and block size from the Reaper control panel should be the first choice to try. Only disable Reaper control and use something else if your audio interface demands it. (eg. Uses a proprietary control panel app.)

Let's see a screen shot of your Reaper Preferences/Audio/Device page.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Omicron9

Thank you, Serr. Interface shows same sample rate as Reaper (24.48k). Block size is default at 256; I've not changed it, but that box isn't checked. Should it be? I don't monitor thru Reaper, but through my interface's TotalMix software.

Here is a screenshot as requested. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: png Reaper prefs - audio - device.png (18.0 KB, 253 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omicron9 View Post
Thank you, Serr. Interface shows same sample rate as Reaper (24.48k). Block size is default at 256; I've not changed it, but that box isn't checked. Should it be? I don't monitor thru Reaper, but through my interface's TotalMix software.

Here is a screenshot as requested. What am I doing wrong?

thanks!
The question would then lead to: What control panel app are you setting the system block size with? If you aren't... then it's set to... something...

Try ticking that box and setting the value to either 512 or 1024 samples.

Or... If you ARE setting this with another control panel app (maybe something from RME), what app and what is the block size set to? I understand from past forum replies that often Windows users will use the ASIO control panel to set the system block size instead of the Reaper control panel. And the suggestion is to try this first instead of control from Reaper.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:49 AM   #15
Omicron9

In Reaper, I set it to 256. Still stuttering and clicks. Set it to 1024, still stuttering and clicks. Then the swearing.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:23 AM   #16
ivansc

Hope I am not interfering, but to clarify what serr is asking:

In the Reaper Audio devices window, althopugh you have selected the RME`s ins and outs, you haent showed us what your actual ASIO settings are by clicking on the button marked "ASIO configuration"

This is the ONLY place that you should need to change any of the stock buffer settings.
As a double check, first download resplendence.com`s excellent latency checker and run it by itself to see if it highlights any errors in your hardware/OS setup.

The try resetting all the OTHER Reaper buffer settings that you may have changed and start again with the ASIO buffer setting via that Configuration buffer again.
This will at least give you a baseline to work from. FWIW I use a RME HDSP 9652 pci interface and my reported latency in reaper64 bit is about 2ms with a 32 buffer setting in that ASIO window. None of the other factory buffer settings have been altered. Hopefully you already confirmed that you have the very latest software & firmware installed for your interface?

Hope this helps clarify matters for you.

Last edited by ivansc; 01-05-2019 at 11:28 AM.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #17
Omicron9

ivansc, you are not interrupting at all! I more than appreciate and welcome any and all help; I am beyond frustrated. Attached are the ASIO settings.
I had been using Reaper for a few months without a single problem; then 2 or 3 days ago, this all started. Nothing changed in my setup or configuration. Which makes this all the more frustrating.

Many thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: png ASIO settings.png (55.9 KB, 223 views)
File Type: png ASIO 2.png (45.3 KB, 163 views)
Old 01-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #18
Omicron9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Hope I am not interfering, but to clarify what serr is asking:

The try resetting all the OTHER Reaper buffer settings that you may have changed and start again with the ASIO buffer setting via that Configuration buffer again.
This will at least give you a baseline to work from. FWIW I use a RME HDSP 9652 pci interface and my reported latency in reaper64 bit is about 2ms with a 32 buffer setting in that ASIO window. None of the other factory buffer settings have been altered. Hopefully you already confirmed that you have the very latest software & firmware installed for your interface?

Hope this helps clarify matters for you.
To add another layer of frustration to this: Originally, I had not changed anything. It was working perfectly with the Reaper defaults. I've only started changing things based on suggestions here in the past two days after the problems mysteriously appeared.

Thanks again,
Old 01-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #19
Coachz

Maybe try a portable install and see if that works better just to rule out bed settings in Reaper
Old 01-05-2019, 11:44 AM   #20
Omicron9

LatencyMonitor tells me that my system "is suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts."

Last edited by Omicron9; 01-05-2019 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:00 PM   #21
Omicron9

Have just updated the RME drivers. Hopefully this will help; doing some test recordings now.

Am still very open to suggestions. I'm wondering if re-installing Reaper might help, since it was working perfectly up until a couple of days ago.

I can't thank you folks enough for your help. As I said, I am new to Reaper , and the sense of community here on this forum is already blowing me away.

Again my thanks,
Old 01-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
Coachz

Quote:
LatencyMonitor tells me that my system "is suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts."
did you run it while Reaper was running for 10 minutes? If not that's a good idea
Old 01-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #23
Coachz

Quote:
Have just updated the RME drivers. Hopefully this will help; doing some test recordings now.

Am still very open to suggestions. I'm wondering if re-installing Reaper might help, since it was working perfectly up until a couple of days ago.

I can't thank you folks enough for your help. As I said, I am new to Reaper , and the sense of community here on this forum is already blowing me away.

Again my thanks,
Rather than reinstall Reaper, just run the installer and click the checkbox to do a portable install. That way you won't impact your current Reaper in any way and you can test with a fresh
Old 01-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #24
serr

Quote:
I had been using Reaper for a few months without a single problem; then 2 or 3 days ago, this all started. Nothing changed in my setup or configuration.
OK, this is important. This is either true or something happened to change something that you were unaware of and don't know where to go looking for (because it hasn't come up before).

If nothing truly changed on the software side, then you need to look for failing hardware. USB cables and then hard drives are the first places to start. This stuff can mess with you. Poor connection resulting in lower I/O speeds instead of throwing up a nice clean error message. Hard drive suddenly performing way under spec. You normally don't need the full spec performance so you might only notice this in critical moments.

On the "something happened but you missed it" side:
Installed anything? Sometimes installer scripts change settings.
Old 01-05-2019, 12:19 PM   #25
Omicron9

@serr: No, nothing new installed or changed. This laptop is used only for recording; I don't use it for the web or anything else. I am using a different computer for everything else, including this reply.

Hard drive is SSD.

I just a short test recording after installing the new RME drivers, and no problems! But that doesn't really make sense, as the previous driver version had no issues; at least not until 2-3 days ago. And of course I can't decisively determine that it was or was not the RME drivers; I've used RME hardware for close to two years and never one issue.
Old 01-05-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
Coachz

Computers are weird so anything's possible. If that seems to have fixed it then start lowering the buffer until you find where it begins to glitch and then you can move back to where it works fine.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:40 AM   #27
Omicron9

I think I may have found the culprit. While nothing had changed on the computer or software, I did connect two external hard drives (USB) this week. I was getting mysterious autoplay messages popping up. I disabled autoplay for all media, and no more problems. Posting this as a possible solution in case someone else experiences this problem.

Many thanks to everyone who offered help in this thread. It is highly appreciated.

Regards,
Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 AM   #28
Coachz

That's exciting news ! Let the fun begin and congrats !
Old 01-06-2019, 08:44 AM   #29
Omicron9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachz View Post
That's exciting news ! Let the fun begin and congrats !
Thanks, Coachz. Your help was very appreciated. Even tho the problem (or what appears to be the problem) is solved, I still got some excellent and helpful tips and advice and have over the course of this thread made some great optimizations to my rig.

Again, my thanks to all. I hope to be able to provide help to you one day in return.

Kind regards,
Old 02-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #30
Skalk

Location: In a forest near large rocks at the base of a mountain. Seriously.
Default I have the same issue

Hello all. I have a similar issue to Omicron9 but the fix is not applicable for my situation, I have no external devices connected other than my Focusrite. Requesting any assistance possible.

Here's my setup:

Dell Latitude E5530
Intel Core i5 (2.6 GHz)
Win7 Home Premium
4G RAM
Reaper v5.95x64 (but also same issue w/ v5.965)
KVLT Drums VST w/ multiple essentials packs
MTPowerDrums (played through KVLT)
Focusrite Scarlett Solo

(I have not checked my memory or CPU usage while Reaper is running and I am having this issue. I will report back on that later, unable to right now.)

Dedicated project laptop, doesn't go online for anything other than functions directly related to this project and updating computer (Windows, AV, etc). Youtube etc functions are performed on a separate computer. When I have Reaper open I have no other processes or external devices running.

All settings are Reaper default, I've made no changes to buffer size etc. 100% stock out of the box.

Issue started Friday 02/15 around 7pm. Had been using Reaper for months w/o any issue. No new features (VST etc) recently, only known changes are Reaper v5.965, Windows 7, and AVG updates. I just realized I haven't checked time / dates to see if there is a correlation. Will find out and report back.

Issue is intermittent and doesn't manifest exactly the same way twice, can be in any part of playback. Stop, play again, part that was affected last time is unaffected the next but another part that played w/o issue previously fails. Occurs while recording (static and drag on drums) and when playing previously recorded tracks (guitars and drums both same issue). Export any previous or newly recorded song and it plays w/o issue (tested with Windows Media Player and WinAmp).

Appears to be a playback issue in Reaper but I was not able to find relief for it based on the answers above or other online research. I've no idea how to diagnose further.

I've included the data above (specs etc) as I've read other posts and know it will be asked for, but I am at the limit of my current technical capabilities and may not completely understand the replies.

Edit- Another step was to uninstall / reinstall Reaper and to go back to previous version (started while I was using 5.965), no change.

Last edited by Skalk; 02-18-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Skalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #31
Skalk

Default update

Windows update was appx 24 hrs earlier, no issue w/ CPU or memory when prg is running and issue is occurring.

Still oddly intermittent. Worked w/o issue for about 20 minutes today, back to same performance now even after full computer shutdown / boot up.

I'm at a complete loss right now. Assistance truly appreciated.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:12 AM   #32
Skalk

Default Resolved

thanks
Old 02-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #33
Coachz

What is your RT CPU in View / Performance Meter ? right click in it to display it. Values over 50% cause skipping for me. I freeze every track I can and leave plugins off the master track until the end. RT CPU from 1% to 40% works great here and I have a very fast cpu and 12gb ram. With less resources you have to be even more careful.

Coachz Repo