Old 02-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #1
kirk1701
Human being with feelings

Default Mono and Stereo Sends

So, Kenny Gioia's videos are really helpful, but this one is twisting my brain.

https://youtu.be/DE-scVVDPHc

I don't understand when I should use the mono button in the send window.

If I have say, a folder of layered acoustic guitars, each recorded in mono, panned hard left or right, then bussed to the folder parent track (which I'm treating like a buss), then I send that buss to a submix buss of all instruments, is that a stereo send?

Or better, if I'm using gated reverb on a snare, do I send the snare to the reverb aux buss in mono or stereo?

Last edited by kirk1701; 02-20-2019 at 11:25 AM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
Cranky Emu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirk1701 View Post
If I have say, a folder of layered acoustic guitars, each recorded in mono, panned hard left or right, then bussed to the folder parent track (which I'm treating like a buss), then I send that buss to a submix buss of all instruments, is that a stereo send?
If, I am reading this correct, you have say 6 acoustics (mono) all panned at various points across the stereo field, in a folder bus (I call em busses to lol), then sending them sub-mix bus. If that sub-mix bus is stereo then your folder bus should be stereo (provided the track you created for the folder bus was a stereo track).

Guess an easy example would be drums. You have your drum kit across how many ever channels and you might pan toms across the stereo field, overheads hard left/right and then have that in a folder, it will be stereo - in as much as you have two tracks and have instruments panned across them.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
kirk1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky Emu View Post
If, I am reading this correct, you have say 6 acoustics (mono) all panned at various points across the stereo field, in a folder bus (I call em busses to lol), then sending them sub-mix bus. If that sub-mix bus is stereo then your folder bus should be stereo (provided the track you created for the folder bus was a stereo track).

Guess an easy example would be drums. You have your drum kit across how many ever channels and you might pan toms across the stereo field, overheads hard left/right and then have that in a folder, it will be stereo - in as much as you have two tracks and have instruments panned across them.
This is correct. (I use folders and busses at the same time. I'll click the little plus sign under the drum parent, then drag sends to it from all drum tracks, usually five.)

My actual question is about the send function. When you drag a send, window pops up with a fader, a pan, etc.

There's a stereo\mono button in there that Kenny Gioia explains in the video, but I'm still confused as to when to use it.

UPDATE: I sorted it! It only matters if you want to pan the buss or the receiving track. I generally will pan the individual tracks and leave the buss at centre. Sometimes I used dual pan if I want something super wide, but that's rare.

Last edited by kirk1701; 02-20-2019 at 12:27 PM.
kirk1701 is offline   Reply With Quote